3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Is dieting a Sin? Discouraged and ranting (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/295754-dieting-sin-discouraged-ranting.html)

hope2781 05-12-2014 04:37 PM

Is dieting a Sin? Discouraged and ranting

Just wanted to let out my frustration. I attended a party yesterday and everyone was surprised to see that I lost 10 pounds in a month and they were asking me what I did, how I did it etc and then the criticizm starts.
One lady goes you are hurting your kidneys..it's too much protein and your kidneys can't process it all
Another lady goes, you look very dull and weak, you lost all the glow you had before. This diet is tearing you apart
and so many other comments.
Most of the women in the party were overweight( nothing against overweight women as I myself am overweight and that's why I am on this diet) and I felt they can't do anything about their weight so just attack someone who is trying to work towards a better future. Atleast I am trying :-(

Now I am really concerned about my kidneys and how I lost all my glow :-(
If this diet was that bad why in the world would so many people try to do it?

AmberLS 05-12-2014 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hope2781 (Post 5002784)
Just wanted to let out my frustration. I attended a party yesterday and everyone was surprised to see that I lost 10 pounds in a month and they were asking me what I did, how I did it etc and then the criticizm starts.
One lady goes you are hurting your kidneys..it's too much protein and your kidneys can't process it all
Another lady goes, you look very dull and weak, you lost all the glow you had before. This diet is tearing you apart
Most of the women in the party were overweight( nothing against overweight women as I myself am overweight and that's why I am on this diet) and I felt they can't do anything about their weight so just attack someone who is trying to work towards a better future. Atleast I am trying :-(

I have found that so many people just have no idea what they are talking about. The diet is moderate protein, not high protein, and although there are potential risks there are also risks to being fat! Fat around the heart, kidneys and other vital organs is risky. Being overweight can lead to high blood pressure, diabetes, etc and I have once or twice responded to an attack by saying just that, ya a diet has risks so does being fat so you pick your risk and I'll pick mine. Usually shuts a naysayer up quickly. However more often then not I blow them off. I'm the one doing the work and I think I look FANTASTIC, glow or not. The glow's probably from grease and high blood pressure lol just kidding. I'm trying to keep my meanness in check, but some things just irritate me. I had one girl who flat out said "oh you'll gain it all back and more, my friend did that diet and she's fatter now" so I asked her "did your friend go back to eating the same crap she did that got her fat?" and she said ya and I said well the difference between your friend and I is that I'm having a life style change. People don't get it. If a person is fat and happy good for them, but I know personally I was fat and miserable. Now I'm overweight and excited and soon I will be skinny and ecstatic!

shelflife 05-12-2014 04:51 PM

Their comments have nothing to do with you, and everything to do with frustration with their own weight troubles. I have certainly experienced that twinge of jealousy, watching a friend lose weight while I struggle. I wouldn't try to discourage the person, but we all deal with things differently.

You now also know firsthand that everyone and their dog have their unqualified, but strong opinions about low-carb diets. You might want to refrain from discussing the particulars of the diet, and just say "I'm smartening up about what I'm eating."

Regarding the kidney issue. It is true that high protein diets may exacerbate renal dysfunction in people with pre-existing kidney disease (even then, morbid obesity can contribute to renal disease, so it's a bit of a trade-off); however, people with normal renal function don't have to worry.

Stay strong.

-SL

JLUS 05-12-2014 08:39 PM

And just to reiterate.. This is NOT a high protein diet. It is moderate protein. Kidney difficulties are more associated with long-term high protein diets.

kdspirited 05-12-2014 09:46 PM

Their comments are a cop out. The fact that they will not sacrifice their habits to be healthy and not put in an effort they try and bring other people down with them. Dont listen to them. They are just jealous!

hope2781 05-12-2014 11:32 PM

Thanks a lot for the support my friends. I am alright now but we are all working so hard. It's not easy to sacrifice the foods we love but if anyone cannot encourage us at least they shouldn't discourage us.

shelflife 05-12-2014 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLUS (Post 5002894)
And just yo reiterate.. This is NOT a high protein diet. It is moderate protein. Kidney difficulties are more associated with long-term high protein diets.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but you've got me curious: What characteristics define IP as moderate as opposed to high protein?

ChipnDip 05-13-2014 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelflife (Post 5002958)
Sorry to hijack the thread, but you've got me curious: What characteristics define IP as moderate as opposed to high protein?

I don't have a perfect answer for you, ie how many grams of protein for high vs moderate however, we are limited as to how many packets and ounces we can have as opposed to a protein diet which doesn't limit it and in fact encourages protein without measuring it.

LakeLover 05-13-2014 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hope2781 (Post 5002784)

Keep to your path and don't be discouraged.

I just had surgery for breast cancer - I had a lumpectomy and breast lift/reconstruction, and am now undergoing radiation. I asked my breast surgeon about losing weight this way and that the doctor's office had expressed concern that I might be releasing too much estrogen into my body (my cancer isn't estrogen-fueled/sensitive, but that's another story). She said that she herself is doing a similar program, and "What's worse? Having estrogen released into your body to be eliminated, or having estrogen stored in the fat in your body? Most women in America die of heart disease, not breast cancer. Lose the weight!"

Don't worry - I bet you'll have a great glow as the pounds come off ;)

Wannabehealthy 05-13-2014 09:08 AM

I'm just wandering around reading different threads and found this one interesting. I am familiar with low-carb, which I do myself, but not IP. Are you drinking a lot of water? I have heard that is the main concern with moderate to high protein. This will protect your kidneys and also keep your skin glowing.

This is one of the reasons I don't like to tell people that I'm dieting. If they ask if I've lost weight I play dumb, as if I didn't realize I've lost weight, even though it's obvious. There are a lot of retorts you could have given them. Their weight is damaging a lot more than their kidneys. Or you could have just smiled and said "Thank you for your support."

They're jealous. Period.

SylviesGirl 05-13-2014 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy (Post 5003117)
They're jealous. Period.

^^^This^^^ Don't let them knock you off your game. Show them the way through your actions.

Some people have convinced themselves that they are destined to be overweight, that there is nothing they can do about it, and, therefore, that they bear no responsibility to change it. When someone like you comes around, successfully taking charge of her weight issue, they are faced with the proof that they are wrong - and they resent that and will defend their position in order to protect their comfortable position that there is nothing they can do. Keep up your good work.

Btw, I think Amber is right . . . their "glow" is from salt, grease, and high BP. :o If you've lost that glow -- right on!

Hoochie 05-13-2014 01:12 PM

HI there, I am new to the IP forum. I joined IP in February weighing in at 178.8 pounds. I lost 20 pounds in two months. I went on off the IP plan for 4 weeks due to vacation and a sickness in the family. During this time I only gained 1 pound and its because I had already learned about what I could eat while I was doing it on my own without IP products. The first month I got harassed by my close girlfriends when I wouldnt have a glass of wine or I would be out with them and be ordering low carb foods. I got teased until I let them know how serious I was about making changes for myself. They used to tell me that maybe my eating plan wasnt good for me etc but I didnt let it bother me. I just stuck to my guns! Recently I had a 50th birthday party for my husband at our house....and I didnt have 1 drink all night. I had fun and was so proud of myself. I have 8 more pounds to go and I am so excited about it. This plan works for me and I actually find it easy.
I started back on the plan yesterday and can't wait to lose the last little bit. The only advice I have is if you feel good and your health is okay on this plan, keep going and don't worry what others have to say. Do this for you!

canadjineh 05-13-2014 01:45 PM

Yep, that's the trick... when someone asks you what you are doing to lose weight, just say you are watching what you eat more carefully... because it's true - and they can't say anything against that. There may be someone who really wants to know because they would like to seriously make a change in their own life, but you can usually tell who those people are. Talk to them alone with just a little bit of info and refer them to your doc/clinic for more info. Then THEY can make their own choice without hearing the uninformed chime in with their opinions.

Good on y'all for keeping on plan - NO MATTER WHAT! :cb::cb::cb:

Liana

SylviesGirl 05-13-2014 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schenectady (Post 5003238)
I had to weigh in on this after going out to Mother's Day with our daughter and son in law. They are both in their very early 30's and have an adorable 2 year old girl who was born at 24 weeks. Understandably, they suffered through lots od stress for a long time...

Looking at their sweet one, they knew they needed to be there for her. Our son in law was 297 and he is about 5 foot 9. She was 239 and is only 5 foot 3. They started IP in June of last year...not quite a year. His Dad who was a 350+ pound joined in.

Our son in law now works out daily, reads all the healthy man blogs and recipes, cooks for all of them. He is a tight and fit, glowing healthy 206. His Dad has lost over 100 pounds. Daughter is a chic and slim, sexy 160. They are so happy and so gorgeous. Dad is off all meds. They are chasing their daughter around the parking lot of the restaurant after our OP meal of shrimp louie salad.

So, to all those who criticize, point fingers, disagree, pretend worry and concern, tell me what is wrong with that picture? To me, enough said!

Yup, enough said. Congrats to you and your beautiful, healthy family. :carrot:

hope2781 05-13-2014 03:19 PM

Thanks everyone for all the Supporting comments. Now I feel I could have handled this situation way more differently after reading each one of your experiences especially Lakelover who went through a surgery and knowing that the doctors themselves are on this diet.

It's just so hard to get by with the people around you. I got teased when I was fat and ate a lot of food. Now I am being teased for losing weight.
Lol.. you guys are right. There will always be someone unhappy with what we do so I am sticking to my plan as well. Only 9 more pounds to lose. I am so close to my goal :-)