Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 04:42 PM   #106  
Started IP 4/19/14

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'7"

Quick question about ground meat...

I used to buy 95% lean ground beef and turkey. Since starting IP, I have been buying 99% lean turkey and 97% lean ground beef, since the Phase 1 sheets say to use "extra lean". I use ground meat at least once per week, but I am not liking the super lean meat. No matter how I cook it, I find it to be insanely dry.

Is there any harm in going back to 95% lean ground turkey and beef? My coach just said to buy "whatever is leanest at the store", but then said that she usually buys just 90% lean because her family won't eat the leaner stuff.

What do you folks think? Am I safe using 95% lean ground meat once or twice per week? What "level" leanness do you buy?
Old 05-14-2014, 04:54 PM   #107  
Evemomma

S/C/G: 170/132.5/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylviesGirl View Post
Hang in there, Sweetie. I know it is hard to shell out the $$$ sometimes, but you are worth it and your health is worth it. In the long run, you will save $$$ on not having injuries and health problems related to being overweight. As for the thyroid meds, I hope you can get back on them soon. It's hard for your body --as well as your emotions -- to function correctly without.

Btw, you are really close to your 155 goal. I would be tempted to call it good -- knowing a daily fluctuation of that much is not unheard of. Don't go on your trip on a negative note for 32 ounces!
Oh my goodness that is so sweet. I do my weigh-ins in the afternoon so i usually "give" mysrlf an extra pound...but i know it's silly to be upset over a number. I did have a NSV of needing to buy two pair of sz 12 shorts before my trip (down from 14). I hate to put a lot into "partway there" clothes but i'm a pear and will probably stay a 12 for a long time still.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:00 PM   #108  
Began IP 3-29-2012

S/C/G: 470/316/220

Height: 6'00"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Ann View Post
Depending on how active the daily chat is sometimes it goes for 2 or 3 days before moving onto a new thread.

Good luck on your re-boot!
Thanks and Thanks. =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylviesGirl View Post
LOL, I know! I got out of the habit of coming here for a couple months over the holidays and I returned to this new "continuing daily chat" phenomenon. I freaked out and was quite sure that Lisa had been kidnapped or something. Took an appearance from the Daily Chat Queen herself to calm me down.

Good to see you back . . . seeing your Cookie Monster avatar makes me laugh somewhat inappropriately.
I am glad I can make you laugh inappropriately! Baking Cookies Should Be FUN! It's been since Monday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
It used to change daily when we got close to 100 or more posts on one day, almost every day.

Last fall, the forum changed with people starting more "chatty" threads for people who started each month, instead of keeping the chat in one place. I liked the old way better. The way I learned was from the people who came before me.

If the daily chat is small, I've been keeping it open longer. Usually 2-3 during the week and one for the weekend.
Makes sense.

I hope everyone is having a good day.

I know I am feeling better now that I am back on track. Eating badly really makes me feel horrible. I'm having my IP Tomato soup now, it got cold because the phone and door here at work will not stop ringing. I'm working late tonight so I need to go out and forage at the grocery store. I am going to buy a bag of spinach to make a shake with so I can drink some of today's veggies!
Old 05-14-2014, 05:11 PM   #109  

S/C/G: 215/159.2/135

Height: 5'4

I'm throwing a neighborhood Luau BBQ for the street this weekend... On the menu: burger bar with all the yummy toppings (bacon, avocado, French fried onions, etc), Mai Tai's, Hurricane, Piņa Colada and then all the neighbors are bringing side dishes and desserts! We have this party every year so it's tradition... Need to stay strong, drink my iced tea and have a Big Mac in a bowl type thing.... Oh and then everyone is roasting marshmallows for s'mores in the fire pit.... This is going to be HARD!!!!!
Old 05-14-2014, 05:32 PM   #110  
Began IP 3-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphypuppy View Post
I'm throwing a neighborhood Luau BBQ for the street this weekend... On the menu: burger bar with all the yummy toppings (bacon, avocado, French fried onions, etc), Mai Tai's, Hurricane, Piņa Colada and then all the neighbors are bringing side dishes and desserts! We have this party every year so it's tradition... Need to stay strong, drink my iced tea and have a Big Mac in a bowl type thing.... Oh and then everyone is roasting marshmallows for s'mores in the fire pit.... This is going to be HARD!!!!!
You've got this MURPH!

With planning and will power you will rock this weekend. Stay busy, drink your water and stick to the plan you will feel much better. Have a special restricted treat when everyone is roasting marshmallows!
Old 05-14-2014, 05:34 PM   #111  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainemum View Post

What do you folks think? Am I safe using 95% lean ground meat once or twice per week? What "level" leanness do you buy?
I say buy as lean as you can enjoy/manage - why eat hidden fat when you can have leaner meat and add yummy stuff like avocado, nuts, mayo, or full fat cheeses and higher fat yogourts.
I buy ground buffalo - which is so lean I usually have to add oil to the pan if I don't get juicy veggies/other liquids in there quick or it sticks & burns, lol. It does make it hard to brown without ruining it. I am not sure what the percentage actually is but due to the nature of the beast - it's pretty darn lean...

Liana
Old 05-14-2014, 06:02 PM   #112  

S/C/G: 203/166/155

Height: 5'3"

Nervous going in to my appointment tomorrow. While I could say it doesn't matter if the scale moves down, I would be lying. Last week I didn't lose or gain, just hung out there at 190.5. I have only had one restricted food item all week, and stuck so close to protocol that I want to give my self a gold star. Now I am starting to fret over what I will do if I don't see a loss on the scale tomorrow , argh!
Fingers crossed!
Old 05-14-2014, 06:03 PM   #113  

S/C/G: 215/159.2/135

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
You've got this MURPH!

With planning and will power you will rock this weekend. Stay busy, drink your water and stick to the plan you will feel much better. Have a special restricted treat when everyone is roasting marshmallows!
Good advice! Thanks!!!
Old 05-14-2014, 06:56 PM   #114  
IP Feb 2014, P4 Oct 15/14

S/C/G: 249/155/160

Quote:

I used to buy 95% lean ground beef and turkey. Since starting IP, I have been buying 99% lean turkey and 97% lean ground beef, since the Phase 1 sheets say to use "extra lean". I use ground meat at least once per week, but I am not liking the super lean meat. No matter how I cook it, I find it to be insanely dry.

Is there any harm in going back to 95% lean ground turkey and beef? My coach just said to buy "whatever is leanest at the store", but then said that she usually buys just 90% lean because her family won't eat the leaner stuff.

I've used both lean and extra lean beef at least once a week and I don't feel it has made a difference. My DH does not like when I go the extra lean route
Old 05-14-2014, 06:59 PM   #115  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Quote:

I think you are safe to go back to the slightly less lean... Especially since you are only eating it once per week. In fact, sometimes when people post their losses are slowing and their menu is almost all chicken and fish, we encourage them to add in a little "fattier" meat once a week or do. Almost always gets things going again! A nice steak or burger can be very satisfying and helpful!
Old 05-14-2014, 07:12 PM   #116  

S/C/G: 278.3 / 156.5 / 180

NSV: One of the little boys in one of my first grade classes this afternoon randomly told me I looked really pretty today. I was wearing my staff hoodie and khakis, so it definitely wasn't the clothes.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:27 PM   #117  
Began IP 3-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully1961 View Post
Nervous going in to my appointment tomorrow. While I could say it doesn't matter if the scale moves down, I would be lying. Last week I didn't lose or gain, just hung out there at 190.5. I have only had one restricted food item all week, and stuck so close to protocol that I want to give my self a gold star. Now I am starting to fret over what I will do if I don't see a loss on the scale tomorrow , argh!
Fingers crossed!
Hear is to the Whoosh Fairy making a visit. Keep working the program and you will continue to have success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearciuil View Post
NSV: One of the little boys in one of my first grade classes this afternoon randomly told me I looked really pretty today. I was wearing my staff hoodie and khakis, so it definitely wasn't the clothes.
Here is to nice little boys and Pretty 1st Grade Teachers!
Old 05-14-2014, 07:45 PM   #118  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo4applerose View Post
Hi Friends! Today a better day, I was a little down yesterday. My Dr took me off my thyroid med last week (100mcg synthroid)because the Dr who put me on it years ago did so just to treat symptoms not because my labs were off. Between starting this new diet and that I have been very emotional. I lost another 3.2 today at my Weigh In after 12 days on plan. Last week my first WI I lost 6.4. Close to 10 down in 12 days I'll take it! Overall I feel good just a bit tired. I am so glad to read about the success everyone is having and appreciate the support. Learning loads reading the old threads. Blessings to all.
A good thyroid doctor will treat symptoms not just labs. You never should take thyroid meds to put you too low, but certainly if you felt better and your labs were in spec (even if at the low end), you should stay on the meds. jmo
Old 05-14-2014, 08:07 PM   #119  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
It used to change daily when we got close to 100 or more posts on one day, almost every day.

Last fall, the forum changed with people starting more "chatty" threads for people who started each month, instead of keeping the chat in one place. I liked the old way better. The way I learned was from the people who came before me.

If the daily chat is small, I've been keeping it open longer. Usually 2-3 during the week and one for the weekend.
I miss the way the daily chat used to be. It is kind of hard for a newbie to get into the each month starting threads, IMO.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:11 PM   #120  

Quote:

Last time I did IP, I got ground sirloin 93/7 ratio and lost consistently. I needed that bit of fat in the meat and really don't think it made a difference in my weight loss. I'll be using that again.
Closed Thread