Old 05-08-2014, 10:05 PM   #16  
Started IP May 2, 2014

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover811 View Post
I know we are not supposed to drink while on IP and I haven't. I am curious though, is it actually dangerous? My mom's coach told her that it is very dangerous to drink while OP; something about all the sugar in the alcohol not getting digested properly. We have a big wedding coming up and I am debating if I want to drink at it. I know it will stall my weight loss, but will it actually be dangerous to have a few drinks? Thank you!
They clearly explain the dangers of drinking in the early daily emails. Not only is it dangerous to your health but should someone be pulled over by the police the breatherlizer test can show a false positive with an unqualified amount of consumption. Don't even try one drink! You'll find out why quite interesting.
jo4applerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:45 PM   #17  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Wow, this is a tough plan to follow. Just wow. Kudos to you guys.

But no alcohol would be a deal breaker for me.

** I am not on IP **

Last edited by IanG; 05-08-2014 at 11:48 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:20 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 264/248/175

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo4applerose View Post
They clearly explain the dangers of drinking in the early daily emails. Not only is it dangerous to your health but should someone be pulled over by the police the breatherlizer test can show a false positive with an unqualified amount of consumption. Don't even try one drink! You'll find out why quite interesting.
I don't always get the daily emails (they seem to come some days and not others) and haven't seen the one about drinking. And I would NEVER drive after I've been drinking, whether on IP or not. We will be staying at the reception site, so driving was never a concern.

Thank you again to everyone who commented. I now have all the information I need to make an informed decision. I will not be drinking, as I don't want to take the chances with my health or stall my weight loss.

Thanks again to everyone.
booklover811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:55 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 190/137.5/140

Height: 5-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
Wow, this is a tough plan to follow. Just wow. Kudos to you guys.

But no alcohol would be a deal breaker for me.

** I am not on IP **
I was on P1 from late October to Mid-March. A very short time to give up things that really are not good for me anyway. Now I can have the occasional drink and be ok....but it is occasional. It is worth it to me to maintain my health.
drd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:56 AM   #20  

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover811 View Post
I don't always get the daily emails (they seem to come some days and not others) and haven't seen the one about drinking. And I would NEVER drive after I've been drinking, whether on IP or not. We will be staying at the reception site, so driving was never a concern.

Thank you again to everyone who commented. I now have all the information I need to make an informed decision. I will not be drinking, as I don't want to take the chances with my health or stall my weight loss.

Thanks again to everyone.
Kudoos, a good choice and you will not regret it.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:33 PM   #21  
Started IP May 2, 2014

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by drd1961 View Post
I was on P1 from late October to Mid-March. A very short time to give up things that really are not good for me anyway. Now I can have the occasional drink and be ok....but it is occasional. It is worth it to me to maintain my health.
drd I am only starting week two so a drink is way far away for me. Nice to hear first hand that a drink is okay down the line. I am a wine drinker, do you think few glasses on the weekend fits in on maintenance? I know of course that everyone is different.

Great weight loss you have there. Amazing!
Old 05-09-2014, 09:49 PM   #22  

Quote:
drd I am only starting week two so a drink is way far away for me. Nice to hear first hand that a drink is okay down the line. I am a wine drinker, do you think few glasses on the weekend fits in on maintenance? I know of course that everyone is different.

I am still new at maintenance, having only started mid March. Just like the other phases it is all about planning. If you want wine on the weekend, then during the week you may need to stick more toward P2, P3 type meals. The other thing I am finding is that I need to see how my body reacts to certain foods. I tried sushi, and my face broke out and I immediately showed a weight gain. Obviously not something my body liked. I had some trail mix, and that was something I simply cannot control, so it also will not be on my diet. However, I can have a beer ever now and then and not have trouble with it. When the weight goes up more than I like, I tighten it up and make it go down. So far, so good.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:47 PM   #23  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

I really thought when I hit maintenance I would really want to have alcohol but that hasn't been the case. Granted, I'm only a week into maintenance but I'm finding a lot of what I thought I would miss just doesn't sound all that good. I figured I would wait on the alcohol for a bit since I've added back in so many things, kind of give my body a chance to adjust before I give it too much "new" stuff to deal with.

And like drd, it wasn't really that hard to give it up while I was losing - regaining my health was way more important to me than having a drink!
Ruth Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:51 PM   #24  
Started IP May 2, 2014

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by drd1961 View Post
I am still new at maintenance, having only started mid March. Just like the other phases it is all about planning. If you want wine on the weekend, then during the week you may need to stick more toward P2, P3 type meals. The other thing I am finding is that I need to see how my body reacts to certain foods. I tried sushi, and my face broke out and I immediately showed a weight gain. Obviously not something my body liked. I had some trail mix, and that was something I simply cannot control, so it also will not be on my diet. However, I can have a beer ever now and then and not have trouble with it. When the weight goes up more than I like, I tighten it up and make it go down. So far, so good.

Makes sense and how I imagine it. Just one day at a time. Plenty times for a social drink down the line. I broke out running and I am not looking back!
Old 05-10-2014, 07:26 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Ann View Post
I really thought when I hit maintenance I would really want to have alcohol but that hasn't been the case. Granted, I.......

And like drd, it wasn't really that hard to give it up while I was losing - regaining my health was way more important to me than having a drink!

Ditto..the beauty of a lifestyle change...is WE are actually Ok with the
changes we have made. In fact...it is a conscious choice and deprived is NOT how we feel once that switch has flipped. We all know people who "choose" things......and respect their choices.

Now we expect that from others on our choices...
65X65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 01:04 PM   #26  
Start IP 3rd Jan 2014

S/C/G: 187/141/145

Height: 5'6

The change in my attitude to alcohol over the past four months and 10 days (not that I'm counting!) to be interesting. Before IP, I would have said that I drank moderately (mainly Friday nights, weekends and social occasions) but the thought of no wine on a Friday night or no rich red Pinot with dinner was horrifying. Now that I've been doing this for some time, I know that I could easily never drink again. I know my friends and family would find it a bit strange but I've learned that I don't need to have an alcoholic drink at every opportunity that it is available. And that I can live quite happily having it on an occasional basis rather than it being the norm. I'll admit that there have been slightly awkward social occasions where I think that a drink would assist the situation but it's also been a learning experience to begin to rely on my own social skills to improve the situation and get beyond the awkward stage.

I'm now looking forward to maintenance and continuing to wake up on Saturday and Sunday mornings with a clear head! And as 65x65 said, this is a lifestyle change and I'm OK with that.
RosiePosie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 02:19 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

WOW, isn't vitriol hard on the liver too?
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:14 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 169/153.8/135

Height: 5'3"

my 2 cents: alcohol does kill whether we're following IP or not!!! and this is not a judgement - just look at stats

have a good one we deserve it
maureen kempster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:05 AM   #29  
Renee~ Started IP Aug. 25

S/C/G: 186/136.4/125

Quote:

In what i have read on maintenance, alcohol is discouraged, as it has no real nutritional value. However, this is real life... Red wine is the least of the evils, according to the IP docs I have read. Lucky for me, I enjoy red wine. I know some people don't. I used to love sweet, sweet white wines, and now I find I do not enjoy the taste. I had my first vodka drink in maintenance two weeks ago- it was an orange crush. It took me about ninety minutes to drink the one drink. It tasted good, but it definitely hit me quickly. There was no way I could have had more than one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Ann View Post
I really thought when I hit maintenance I would really want to have alcohol but that hasn't been the case. Granted, I'm only a week into maintenance but I'm finding a lot of what I thought I would miss just doesn't sound all that good. I figured I would wait on the alcohol for a bit since I've added back in so many things, kind of give my body a chance to adjust before I give it too much "new" stuff to deal with.

Same here! My co-workers could not believe I was giving up wine as the school year started!! I was nervous, as I like a glass every now and then, but it was WAY easier than I thought. As yummy as they may be, alcoholic drinks can be full of empty calories...what a waste!

Renee
ReenHag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:59 AM   #30  
AmberLS

S/C/G: High 298, IP-250/182/165

Height: 5ft 5in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolo70 View Post
I am a scientist and this article is bull... What is true is that in ketosis your body metabolizes alcohol differently. You will get drunk and possibly sick from much smaller amounts of alcohol than what you may be used to. But unless you are going on an uncontrolled binge, it will not harm you permanently or kill you. Anybody can call themselves Chief Scientific Officer. It does not mean they actually know what they are talking. It is just a title.

I'm not a scientist but I am a teacher and a student and I can say that it's not something I'd use as a trusted source or reference.
AmberLS is offline   Reply With Quote