Phasing off for pregnancy

• Hi all! I am having trouble making some decisions in my life lately. I originally started IP in January and quickly lost 14 pounds. I then had to phase off for an unforeseen surgery and didn't pick up again until April 1st. Since then I have lost 24 pounds. My original reason for IP was to lose some weight and decrease my risks during pregnancy. I had planned to phase off In the next two weeks so that I could start a healthy exercise routine that I could carry through gestation. I "hope" to conceive by the middle of July so that I can be with my baby a full 6 months before I'd have to send it to daycare (I'm a teacher. Woo hoo for summers!!)
    My question is this.....what are y'all's opinions on when to phase off the diet? Should I be in maintenance a good month before conception? Can I conceive during the phasing off process? Everyone knows you can't exactly plan these things, but I'm sure gonna try!!
    I've also had conflicting feelings about stopping so soon. Since my success has been so great thus far, should I stay the course until August and just deal with the strange schedule of starting a school year and then leaving for a few months?
    I know ultimately only my DH and I can make the decision, but I thought a little input for the awesome people on is thread couldn't hurt either! Thanks in advance!
  • I am so glad you posted this! I am in the EXACT same spot! I am also a teacher and hoping to get pregnant in July. I am planning to start phasing off beginning in July, but was going to talk to my coach about it tonight when I talk to her. I know people have gotten pregnant while OP before, so I don't think it would hurt to be phasing off when conception happens, but I also want to be sure. I'll let you know what my coach says!!
  • Great thanks! I'm asking mine Wednesday as well, but the more info the better!
  • There typically isn't a problem getting pregnant while on IP... in fact, coaches are supposed to let women know that there is an increased chance of pregnancy and their birth control should have a back up while on IP... apparently there are quite a few IP babies out there!

If you were still on P1 and found that you are pregnant, you would stop immediately. But since you are specifically planning this event, I would just go ahead and phase off so that you are in maintenance at the time you want to start working to get pregnant. (I don't see any reason to be a full month in maintenance before getting pregnant but perhaps others will have more advice!)
  • I am not trying to get pregnant, nor can I, however my doctor said that you are more likely to get pregnant while on IP because of all the hormones being released by the loss of fat in your body. Good luck I hope it works out!
  • Noodles - My coach said that you can stay on IP all the way up until you find out you are pregnant and then will phase off right away when you know. I made my own decision to start phase off the same time we will be starting to try. I was planning to phase off for a month as a break anyway(I'll have been OP for 3 1/2 months and will need a break!), so the timing will just work out for me. My coach said it is perfectly safe to GET pregnant on IP, but you aren't eating enough to STAY pregnant and should phase off as soon as you know. Hope this helps! GL to you and your H on having your spring baby!
  • Thanks booklover!! That's exactly what I wanted to hear!
  • Absolutely! Let me know what your coach says and if there is anything different!
  • Noodles,
    I phased off as soon I stopped taking birth control a few weeks ago. I did this for a few reasons--I wanted to start a healthy eating plan without relying on packets so that I wasn't stressed about what to eat when I got pregnant and second, because I wanted to start my prenatal vitamins. I know that sounds silly since we do take vitamins on IP. When I had my first baby, my doctor told me to start my prenatals well in advance of getting pregnant so that my body was starting out with all of the right nutrients. Just something she believed, I guess...and I followed it!
    (and since stopping I haven't gained a pound)

Annie
  • I talked to my coach today and she agreed with phasing off for pregnancy. She wasn't sure on if I would need to phase off before or if I could start trying AS I phased off. I think I'm going to start phasing off a way on the 21st so that I can be 100% off by mid June.
  • Sounds like a good plan Noodles.

Anigurl, I agree. I want to be eating healthy and not relying on packets when I get pregnant. I've been taking a prenatal in place of my IP multi already, so I'm good on the vitamin front. I know my coach said it's fine to get pregnant while still on Phase 1, but I don't always trust my coach's judgment and will be phasing off first because that is what makes sense to me.
  • I plan on trying to get pregnant while on IP. My coach said it's fine to get pregnant and I actually have an increased chance in getting pregnant. The whole reason I'm doing this is to have a baby and a healthy pregnancy. Until I can drop another 50 lbs, we are using back up. Then..IT'S ON.