Old 05-08-2014, 10:09 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 264/248/175

Height: 5'6"

Default Drinking at a special occasion?

I know we are not supposed to drink while on IP and I haven't. I am curious though, is it actually dangerous? My mom's coach told her that it is very dangerous to drink while OP; something about all the sugar in the alcohol not getting digested properly. We have a big wedding coming up and I am debating if I want to drink at it. I know it will stall my weight loss, but will it actually be dangerous to have a few drinks? Thank you!
booklover811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:30 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 230/181/160

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover811 View Post
I know we are not supposed to drink while on IP and I haven't. I am curious though, is it actually dangerous? My mom's coach told her that it is very dangerous to drink while OP; something about all the sugar in the alcohol not getting digested properly. We have a big wedding coming up and I am debating if I want to drink at it. I know it will stall my weight loss, but will it actually be dangerous to have a few drinks? Thank you!
I am on about week 13 on the plan.....I would say (and it's just my advice), don't drink at the wedding. Anything that is off plan will stall weight loss.....I say so from experience.

I went to a wedding with my husband out of town about my 8th week on plan and there was everything from margaritas, jello shots, liquor and beer. Everytime my husband would go get a drink I would go to the bar too but ask for ice water, just so I would have something to hold like everyone else. At the end of the night I was so proud of myself and felt wonderful that I had the willpower not to drink. Plus all the compliments I received from my weight loss was worth it!!

Good luck!
texaschick0925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:03 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 185.2/180.4/145

Height: 5'5

My coach recently attended an IP conference and this was a topic in the training. The IP representative said alcohol is extremely dangerous on IP (excluding the maintenance phase) and that it could potentially cause death. Here is a link to an IP article about it.

http://www.sevenmileclinic.ky/attach...hol-and-IP.pdf

Last edited by KookySuki; 05-08-2014 at 11:05 AM.
KookySuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:03 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaschick0925 View Post
I am on about week 13 on the plan.....I would say (and it's just my advice), don't drink at the wedding. Anything that is off plan will stall weight loss.....I say so from experience.

I went to a wedding with my husband out of town about my 8th week on plan and there was everything from margaritas, jello shots, liquor and beer. Everytime my husband would go get a drink I would go to the bar too but ask for ice water, just so I would have something to hold like everyone else. At the end of the night I was so proud of myself and felt wonderful that I had the willpower not to drink. Plus all the compliments I received from my weight loss was worth it!!

Good luck!
Texas is to be commended...she is is right. However; this is the choice many cave in to ...letting their resolve evaporate when this comes up...

Of course it is best to stay On Plan...Lots of reasons...

Many feel it is not worth the time it takes to get back on track after a sideways detour involving drinking. Some have trouble altogether getting back on the wagon...it leads to other wishy-washy decisions and things that slow you down a little, but compounded can derail one altogether.

And of course there a few are glad they did it, and will tell you it is OK..and actually encourage you..

The real answer is no one here can/should answer this for you. You have to decide...and accept how things roll afterward.

The other issue is alcohol may affect you differently esp if you have not had anything with alcohol for a while...

Remember you are weighing less...and the effect can be enhanced by that as well as your tolerance is probably lower now. And your inhibitions will be reduced. Possibly leading to continued off plan drinking after the evening...foods off plan will also possibly be something you more easily indulge in.

Where are you in your journey..beginning? Middle? Close to the end?? If you are knocked out of ketosis...add a week or more to get back on the course..Remember the headaches, the fatigue....and how much a week costs$$$$$. You will be lucky if the week is all you are set back.
65X65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:35 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 0/37/35-50 lbs lost

Height: 5'5"

Hey Booklover -

I see from your ticker that you've lost about one forth of your goal weight. Congratulations! Are you at the point where people are noticing that you've lost weight? If not it will happen soon. And once that starts you will be on a real high!

If you're still wearing your old clothes - just baggy - it's harder for people to notice that you've lost weight. Most of us can't afford to buy several new wardrobes but if what you're wearing to the wedding is your old size and baggy - it's worth having it taken in a little to show off your weight loss.

Some people find new sizes at thrift stores. I'm in jeans most of the time and I found jean on sale at Costco for $16. I'd buy one black pair and one blue pair. It felt so good to look good! You've lost 25 lbs. That's an accomplishment! Reward yourself by looking good.

I don't know if sparkling water is allowed but I had that with a lime wedge at my own son's wedding. Not because I intended to stay on plan but I was so excited and busy dancing with industrial strength spanx on that I was overheated! I was probably the only one not hung over the next day! And I had a wonderful time hearing how great I looked!

You can have a lot of fun with people who are drinking as long as they think your drinking. I have to say that getting back on plan can be very, very difficult.
deelee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:49 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by deelee10 View Post
Hey Booklover -

You can have a lot of fun with people who are drinking as long as they think your drinking. .....

This needs to be a bumper sticker! Great!!!!
65X65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:35 PM   #7  
AmberLS

S/C/G: High 298, IP-250/182/165

Height: 5ft 5in

I'm not taking a side on this however I did read the article above and I'd like to say no where does it support that you could die. It only discusses the physiology of why it is not allowed and is supporting that you should be kicked off the diet if you use it. The article is written poorly, it is not scientific based, it does not have any supporting research or references and it is done by a student. It has good information on the process of alcohol on the body but that is it. There are typos, improper use of mechanics, and many other things that suggest this paper is not from a reliable published source.
AmberLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:03 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 185.2/180.4/145

Height: 5'5

It's written by the Chief Science Officer of IP, so I'm pretty sure he knows what he's talking about. I merely posted the article and the precaution from my coach to help others make informed decisions about alcohol intake while on IP.

No need to be rude...I didn't claim the article says you could die. It's just about the effects of alcohol on your body while on IP. My coach was the one who was told by the IP presenter at a recent IP conference that the danger is significant enough that death can be a consequence.

Last edited by KookySuki; 05-08-2014 at 03:40 PM.
KookySuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:08 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 264/248/175

Height: 5'6"

Thanks for the input everyone. I know the choice is ultimately mine, and that no one can make that for me. I was merely asking if it is, like I had heard, dangerous to drink. I understand that if I do decide to drink, I will be set back about a week on my weight loss. I haven't made any decision and probably won't until the wedding gets much closer. Just looking ahead and seeing if I even have options. If it is truly dangerous, then it's not an option. I'm not willing to risk my life for one night of fun
booklover811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:48 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Booklover & others: The simple explanation is your liver is very busy processing the fat you are losing - it doesn't have time or energy to be switching over to processing the alcohol you ingest. This may or may not be dangerous for you personally - everyone is different, BUT it sure will affect your fat loss and ketosis. For what it's worth. Take a fancy IP drink packet - if you feel very tempted, you can have a 'pina colada' or a 'peach mango' or 'cranberry' drink and still look festive...get the bartender to stick a slice of lime on it and voila! Sparkling water with a TINY squirt of MIO will work as well, if you must. Concentrate of music, dancing, reconnecting with old friends & family and you will have a wonderful time!

I think mainly IP has to 'cover their butt' in this kind of case just so no whacko decides to do up a lawsuit because "coach said it was OK."

Last edited by canadjineh; 05-08-2014 at 02:50 PM.
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:19 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

What we do know as fact is the effects of alcohol on IPers as reported here and on other IP forums ... i

Your body is WAY more sensitive to the alcohol, so if you do drink, one drink can make you feel like you have had several! It amplifies the feelings of drinking quickly and with little warning. I have also read of a couple careless IPers drinking too much (that is a range of amounts depending on each person) and going to the hospital because of reactions.

Also most report killer headaches the next day, even with as little as one or two glasses of wine... Worse depending on body type, alcohol consumed and amount consumed.

Definitely take those things into consideration since you do not know what your personal reaction may be!

(FYI - not advocating the drink, but definitely want everyone to have the information needed to be SAFE!!!)
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:02 PM   #12  
AmberLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KookySuki View Post
It's written by the Chief Science Officer of IP, so I'm pretty sure he knows what he's talking about. I merely posted the article and the precaution from my coach to help others make informed decisions about alcohol intake while on IP.

No need to be rude...I didn't claim the article says you could die. It's just about the effects of alcohol on your body while on IP. My coach was the one who was told by the IP presenter at a recent IP conference that the danger is significant enough that death can be a consequence.
I wasn't being rude and I wasn't implying anything directly towards you. I don't care who wrote the article, it's poorly written that's not a personal stab at you. You had discussed in your comment that drinking on IP could cause death I was stating that the article does not say that, it merely warns of the effects and talks about the physiology. If that article was written by the chief science officer he needs a new editor. We are all taught in school that articles that are poorly written and have a lot of typos shouldn't be used as trusted resources. He cites no other supporting information documentation. I am not saying I disagree this is merely a statement of writing mechanics and how people are taught to decide what is reliable and what is not. I don't know where the article came from, and without looking I was able to find errors, and I'm just a lowly teacher on the face of the earth so what would I know.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:17 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberLS View Post
I wasn't being rude and I wasn't implying anything directly towards you. I don't care who wrote the article, it's poorly written that's not a personal stab at you. You had discussed in your comment that drinking on IP could cause death I was stating that the article does not say that, it merely warns of the effects and talks about the physiology. If that article was written by the chief science officer he needs a new editor. We are all taught in school that articles that are poorly written and have a lot of typos shouldn't be used as trusted resources. He cites no other supporting information documentation. I am not saying I disagree this is merely a statement of writing mechanics and how people are taught to decide what is reliable and what is not. I don't know where the article came from, and without looking I was able to find errors, and I'm just a lowly teacher on the face of the earth so what would I know.
It's not really an article at all... It is a small excerpt from a series of FAQs given to clinics to respond to various questions that come up. (I have seen the 30 page document it is from.) All the FAQs responses are written in a fairly casual manner, with scientific info outlined in basic terms, nothing to deep, so coaches can share responses with clients.

(Still no excuse for being poorly edited!)

Last edited by JLUS; 05-08-2014 at 06:18 PM.
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:23 PM   #14  
AmberLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLUS View Post
It's not really an article at all... It is a small excerpt from a series of FAQs given to clinics to respond to various questions that come up. (I have seen the 30 page document it is from.) All the FAQs responses are written in a fairly casual manner, with scientific info outlined in basic terms, nothing to deep, so coaches can share responses with clients.

(Still no excuse for being poorly edited!)
LOL that's all I was trying to say. I feel bad that she took it personal. I write a lot of papers because I'm in school and I just felt the writing was bad. Oh well, misunderstandings happen on the net!
Old 05-08-2014, 07:18 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 190/137.5/140

Height: 5-4

My thoughts on alcohol or anything else someone may desire while in P1-P3 is that you should wait. This program is hard, expensive, but works. Why would you want to undo the work that you have done for one night of drinks. Once you are on maintenance, this type of thing can be worked into your plan, but right now, just enjoy the company, and looking good with the weight you have already lost.
drd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote