Old 04-24-2014, 07:46 AM   #1  
Evemomma

S/C/G: 170/132.5/130

Height: 5'4"

Default Vacation at Disney in 4 weeks

So, I FINALLY got motivated to lose this awful weight...but unfornately it wasn't until a month from my upcoming vacation to Disney World.

Any advice on traveling would be appreciated. I will be walking A LOT at Disney (the average person walks 9 miles a day)....so I think I will need to up my calories so I am not ill.

Not sure what is my best approach...and my coach really waffled between skipping packets for the week (since it will be nearly impossible to stay truly on plan) or using them to help with cravings.

Advice is greatly appreciated!
evemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:58 AM   #2  
Evemomma

Default Parallel Diet for Spouse?

I just started the IP diet at my doctor's office last Wednesday. We cannot afford to have both of us on with two small kids, but my hubby is now really motivated to be eating healthy and losing weight also (he really only needs to lose about 20lbs or less).

He wants to do low carb and has already cut out major offenders: soda, bread, sweets, fruits....but he really needs some realistic guidelines since our IP guidelines are too strict without getting the packets/supplements.

Is there a simple website/approach that we could reference? My coach did give me a hand-out she usually gives for Phase III about carb/protein percentages, but it is really pretty abstract.

Any help would be appreciated...TIA!
Old 04-24-2014, 08:32 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by evemomma View Post
I just started the IP diet at my doctor's office last Wednesday. We cannot afford to have both of us on with two small kids, but my hubby is now really motivated to be eating healthy and losing weight also (he really only needs to lose about 20lbs or less).

He wants to do low carb and has already cut out major offenders: soda, bread, sweets, fruits....but he really needs some realistic guidelines since our IP guidelines are too strict without getting the packets/supplements.

Is there a simple website/approach that we could reference? My coach did give me a hand-out she usually gives for Phase III about carb/protein percentages, but it is really pretty abstract.

Any help would be appreciated...TIA!
Can you afford to have him do the alternative products and follow P1? A box of 7 items runs $13-17 in many places... Plus you vpvan throw in some EAS Carb advantage remade shakes for $5 a four pack. Men lose faster anyway so he probably will lose quickly the more he sticks to P1.

Lots of people stay OP when traveling and the walking will help... And will mean you do need extra protein so maybe go to P2 with full protEin at lunch and dinner. More will,chime I. Here with travel advice... Several have done Disney!
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:36 AM   #4  

S/C/G: pre IP 173/IP 166/150/145

Height: 5'6"

Hi Evemomma

I went to DisneyWorld on P1 and while it wasn't always fun to just not indulge, I found it relatively easy. I brought lots of packets (mostly RTD shakes - packed in my luggage - and Quest bars) that were portable and I could throw in the backpack. If you are walking a lot, I would add an extra packet.

We stayed on-site but did have a small fridge and I ordered groceries before hand that were delivered right to our hotel so I could also bring veggies with me. It was pretty easy to eat a P1 meal at dinner - usually chicken and veg and salad.

You do miss out on the Disney treats but I knew they would make my stomach feel rotten anyways so I focused on enjoying my kids and husband enjoying them. I also took a water bottle and it was easy to fill it at water fountains.

A mantra I have learned on this site is that with planning, you can truly do anything. You will be able to pull off P1 at Disney and have fun!
Pukka8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:14 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 215/159.2/135

Height: 5'4

Do you go to Disney World often or is this a once every few years, special trip? If it is not somewhere your family goes frequently, could you wait a month to start or would you loose your motivation? I think, for me anyway, it would be better to postpone the diet, go to Disney World and then when you get home go full throttle on the Ideal Protein. That being said, I am going soon as well and I just plan on bringing my food along, grabbing salads for lunch and dinner. I'm sure it won't be the easiest thing to do but Disneyland food almost always looks waaaayyy better than it tastes and I will save a ton of money by not buying all of those Mickey shaped treats. Plus, in the past when we would go to Disneyland, my stomach was always wrecked by the time we would leave.... Good Luck and let us know how it goes!!!
murphypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:24 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 236/236/170

Height: 5'9"

I recently went to Disneyland and found it relatively easy. I took my packets for the day into the park. I also took turkey in a throw away container along with some pickles. I was able to buy a chicken sandwich with no bun or sauce and I got a salad at another restaurant. The packets I took were all eat on the run type. The wildberry yogurt drink, salt and vinegar crisps, and the chocolate mint bar. My coach said that if I needed to have an extra packet that would be all right. I also took in some hard boiled eggs along with my salad dressing. You can do this, it was easier than I thought.
Staceyhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:05 PM   #7  
Evemomma

Wow thanks...didn't realize that I put that second question about my hubby on this thread...ack...it's what being busy + IP is doing to me!

I really appreciate all the advice...I really am very determined to lose right now, so I would like to stay on plan. Probably should've planned the whole thing better, but I haven't been motivated to lose weight/eat healthy for a LONG time - so I was ready to strike while the iron was hot.

I will look into some the alternative IP product threads on here for my hubby (and maybe to help me while traveling). He's always been able to lose weight quite quickly, so I think he will this time as well - especially because we were eating TERRIBLE before starting this.

Hmmm...you are inspiring me to see how I can stick to IP while on this vacay. I do like a challenge, so this may be a great one for me to tackle. As some of you mentioned, the Disney food always leave quite a bit to be desired, so I need to tell myself that I won't be missing anything. My biggest craving is for the Pineapple Dole Whip in Adventureland by the Pirates of the Caribbean....mmmmmmm.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:20 PM   #8  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Quote:
My biggest craving is for the Pineapple Dole Whip in Adventureland by the Pirates of the Caribbean....mmmmmmm.
Just remember, there is nothing pirates love more than "a big booty". That may remind you just to pass that dole whip right on by!

As for your hubby, I think it's great he's on board and he'll probably do better in the long run by sticking with natural foods. Just cutting out wheat and nothing else would help him lose weight. If he stuck to the same premise you're at -- lots of veggies with protein at every meal and snack -- I'm sure he'll be feeling great and you won't have to make too much difference to how you're cooking.
IP43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:30 PM   #9  
Evemomma

IP43....big booty, lol!

If you only knew how big this booty of mine is! Too bad IP doesn't have a pineapple pudding I can freeze. I agree that his changes he's already making are going to pay off for him. One of my worries is that he is being too extreme without the benefit of the packets and supplements and is going to make himself ill.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:48 PM   #10  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Quote:
IP43....big booty, lol!

If you only knew how big this booty of mine is! Too bad IP doesn't have a pineapple pudding I can freeze. I agree that his changes he's already making are going to pay off for him. One of my worries is that he is being too extreme without the benefit of the packets and supplements and is going to make himself ill.
There is so much on the internet to get information he needs but I think it might be worth him seeing someone "official" -- dr. or pharmacist or a nutritionist just to have a plan set up for him -- what vitamins etc. would be best for him/how many calories or carbs to aim for in a day... There are lots of vitamin supplements etc. that he could add that are way less money and then you'd know he's on an "approved" plan. We have medical coverage in Ontario so I don't know how much that costs but it might be worth the investment. I've always thought going to see a nutritionist or naturalpath would be very interesting but I've never made it yet.
IP43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:17 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 186/165/145

Height: 5'9

Hmmm...you are inspiring me to see how I can stick to IP while on this vacay. I do like a challenge, so this may be a great one for me to tackle. As some of you mentioned, the Disney food always leave quite a bit to be desired, so I need to tell myself that I won't be missing anything. My biggest craving is for the Pineapple Dole Whip in Adventureland by the Pirates of the Caribbean....mmmmmmm.[/QUOTE]

I too love that dole whip. Everything is such a mind game. Just bring your stuff and be prepared with all your IP stuff.
Happydays123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 11:41 AM   #12  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schenectady View Post
The hardest was the last day when we went to a place that had a breakfast buffet - I think we were the only ones in the place not piling up plated at the buffet. That has always been a hot button for me - if I can "eat all I want" for $14.99, I had better make sure to eat more than $14.99 so that I am getting a good deal......warped, yes. No more buffets for me, ever. I mean ever!
The last time we went to a buffet I checked with the manager and they let me order ala carte due to food issues while dh had the buffet. They were super nice about it - I just told them I was on a restricted diet for medical reasons and they brought me exactly what I asked for. Worth checking out.
Ruth Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 06:47 PM   #13  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

bump
Ruth Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 03:00 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Perfect idea Ruth Ann, because we DO have restricted diets for medical reasons - our general health! Before you go to a buffet - look carefully at the people and what they put on their plates and you will notice a correlation between overloading plates and overweight bodies. Yes, it is judging and we aren't supposed to be that way (not very PC), but as long as you keep it to yourself - you can learn from it.
Take your shaker cup & a spoon along with packets for the day. Staceyhay knows what she is talking about. Take veggies in a baggie that are tough to kill when out of the fridge like celery and jicama sticks, just to add to your salads that you find in proper restaurants - NO CART FOOD, lol.

Have fun with the walking and enjoy the rides... take a pedometer if you can just for interest sake and see how many steps you take. Everyone is supposed to aim for 10,000 a day for good health. One day last year when I worked at a major agricultural exhibition I logged more than 25,000 steps. Don't think I'll see that again soon, lol

Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:27 AM   #15  
Evemomma

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadjineh View Post
Perfect idea Ruth Ann, because we DO have restricted diets for medical reasons - our general health! Before you go to a buffet - look carefully at the people and what they put on their plates and you will notice a correlation between overloading plates and overweight bodies. Yes, it is judging and we aren't supposed to be that way (not very PC), but as long as you keep it to yourself - you can learn from it.
Take your shaker cup & a spoon along with packets for the day. Staceyhay knows what she is talking about. Take veggies in a baggie that are tough to kill when out of the fridge like celery and jicama sticks, just to add to your salads that you find in proper restaurants - NO CART FOOD, lol.

Have fun with the walking and enjoy the rides... take a pedometer if you can just for interest sake and see how many steps you take. Everyone is supposed to aim for 10,000 a day for good health. One day last year when I worked at a major agricultural exhibition I logged more than 25,000 steps. Don't think I'll see that again soon, lol

Liana
Amazing advice!

Thanks for all the advice everyone. We are two weeks away!!! I have a backpack that carries a matching lunch box that I plan to stuff with IP friendly foods. I just bought some Stevia drops and some water flavor drops since Disney water is icky. I'm going to start looking at menus online so I know where I can go at each park. I also visited three health food stores yesterday and found Quest Bars and a few other products. I think i'm hoing to do alt products and save my $85 IP bill for the week.