Old 04-23-2014, 08:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 196.3/185.2/160

Height: 5'4"

Default Surgery - Breast Reduction and IP?

It's a bit early yet, but I wanted to get ahead of it.

I am having surgery in early June and my Coach wants me to go off IP before then (tapering off to Phase 2, Phase 3, yada-yada).

Has anyone had any success in staying on IP during surgery/recovery?
I will be on bed rest for 10 to 14 days and will probably spend several more weeks recovering. I don't want to lose too much progress.

Any suggestions, recommendations, words of experience?
JSorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:15 PM   #2  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSorrell View Post
It's a bit early yet, but I wanted to get ahead of it.

I am having surgery in early June and my Coach wants me to go off IP before then (tapering off to Phase 2, Phase 3, yada-yada).

Has anyone had any success in staying on IP during surgery/recovery?
I will be on bed rest for 10 to 14 days and will probably spend several more weeks recovering. I don't want to lose too much progress.

Any suggestions, recommendations, words of experience?
Ruth ann had surgery on IP but some of her issues were digestive.

I had a breast reduction in 99, prior to any low carb dieting so I have no info on eating (super happy, BTW). 10-14 days bedrest? I was 1 nite in the hospital & 2-3 days kind of "out of it" but after that, activity as tolerated. My doc sends people back to work 3-5 days. I was off over a week due to my particular job. Are you having ONLY breast reduction or more than just that?

I'd be more inclined to talk to the doctor re: IP, rather than your coach re: sugery, just due to the lack of knowledge many coaches exhibit.

Last edited by lisa32989; 04-23-2014 at 09:17 PM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:51 PM   #3  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

I've had 2 surgeries while I've been on IP. One to repair a very large hernia and clean up some other issues due to adhesions and then one to remove the stitch holding the patch on the hernia that the surgeon managed to get right on a nerve.

I stayed OP for both surgeries with the blessing of my doctor and anesthesiologist. Neither one had a problem with it. It took a little planning, but I stayed OP while in the hospital too - they had an extensive menu and cooked to order plus dh brought me pudding and I had some salty IP snacks.

I did up my packets to 4 before and after surgery. The before was partly because I was on a very limited diet and partly because my coach and doctor agreed the increased protein would help with healing. After surgery I needed more protein to promote healing and I really didn't feel like eating much so the packets were a lifesaver.

Talk to your doctor and see what they say. I have heard some doctors are totally against being in ketosis for surgery but mine had no problem at all with it.

Good luck to you and it's great you're planning ahead!
Ruth Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:17 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Ann View Post
I've had 2 surgeries while I've been on IP. One to repair a very large hernia and clean up some other issues due to adhesions and then one to remove the stitch holding the patch on the hernia that the surgeon managed to get right on a nerve.

I stayed OP for both surgeries with the blessing of my doctor and anesthesiologist. Neither one had a problem with it. It took a little planning, but I stayed OP while in the hospital too - they had an extensive menu and cooked to order plus dh brought me pudding and I had some salty IP snacks.

I did up my packets to 4 before and after surgery. The before was partly because I was on a very limited diet and partly because my coach and doctor agreed the increased protein would help with healing. After surgery I needed more protein to promote healing and I really didn't feel like eating much so the packets were a lifesaver.

Talk to your doctor and see what they say. I have heard some doctors are totally against being in ketosis for surgery but mine had no problem at all with it.
I'm pretty sure that's because some docs understand Ketosis better than others
Old 04-23-2014, 10:51 PM   #5  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
I'm pretty sure that's because some docs understand Ketosis better than others
I think you're right Lisa. I think I was lucky with my doctors.
Ruth Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:25 AM   #6  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

I had a breast reduction done (also very happy with it and my back is 100% happier) but now that I'm losing more weight I'm losing more on top than I want. If you have a lot left to lose, it may be worth leaving a wee bit more to your size than the doc had planned? My friend didn't want to be too small so requested a C cup and I sort of wish I had done that too. Hindsight...

A food issue to consider is supplements. I don't think you're allowed some of the supplements a few days before surgery (maybe due to blood thinning or lack of clotting... not sure...) I did have a friend recommend Arnica to reduce bruising -- there are creams for external and tiny pills for internal. I did stop taking that a few days before my surgery too. If you want to chat or ask any questions, feel free to send me a message. Sometimes it's nice to talk to someone who has been through it.

As with Lisa, down time was very minimal. I took pain meds for the first day, maybe 2, but by day 3 I was very comfortable and not in any pain.
IP43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:45 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP43 View Post
As with Lisa, down time was very minimal. I took pain meds for the first day, maybe 2, but by day 3 I was very comfortable and not in any pain.
I'm not gonna lie, my pain experience was different but I'd STILL do it again!
I had 8 lbs removed and was REDUCED to a DD. (Asked for D after doc nixed C, stating I'd look unbalanced. I was certainly unbalanced prior!) I was overweight when I had surgery (probably in obese range). I haven't lost any more in my chest. But each body is very different.
Chest measurements have changed due to back fat but bra cup has remained consistent over 90+ lbs.

Last edited by lisa32989; 04-24-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:34 AM   #8  

Just having a breast reduction - a la anchor-style. I've heard of other people only being off a short time frame, but this surgeon is far more conservative in recovery - particularly with a high-stress job that often ends up with very long hours.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:39 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Ann View Post

Good luck to you and it's great you're planning ahead!
I believe that staying OP will actually be fairly simple for those helping out, too. If I can prepare my protein in advance with crock-pot recipes, rely on the jellies, prepared pudding, etc., the only real prep becomes the veggies - and a little olive oil, salt and into the oven - 10 minutes you are ready to go. I'll see what the surgeon says - part of me wants to just do my own thing anyway, because it is unlikely to come up as a topic for conversation in pre-op anyhow.

I can't wait! I've been lugging these things around since high school - I would like them to go smaller rather than larger - I've never been fond of my "girls." It'll be awesome to buy normal bras and sports bras that aren't essentially iron-clad!
Old 04-24-2014, 09:34 PM   #10  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Just having a breast reduction - a la anchor-style. I've heard of other people only being off a short time frame, but this surgeon is far more conservative in recovery - particularly with a high-stress job that often ends up with very long hours.
Don't get me wrong -- if you get down time from work, take it. I was off for more than the 5 days other people only get and I don't regret having taken more time. I was a bit frustrated that I couldn't do much as you always think of a million things you'd do if you had time. However, that feeling soon went away and I enjoyed relaxing, reading some good books, and enjoying some me time. It was a great time to be on IP as I had time to read past threads, save some good recipes etc.

Lisa: I can't even imagine 8 lbs off! We joked for awhile that I wanted to lose weight so badly that I was cutting body parts off, but mine was only 3 lbs and that was a lot. Yikes. No wonder you have back issues my friend!
IP43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:46 PM   #11  

Quote:
I can't wait! I've been lugging these things around since high school - I would like them to go smaller rather than larger - I've never been fond of my "girls." It'll be awesome to buy normal bras and sports bras that aren't essentially iron-clad!
I completely understand.
I'm not embarrassed about mine anymore. I was for my entire life. It's nice to have them "up where they belong". Mine never had a good shape & were never "perky". Ever. I still wish the doc had gone with the Cs I requested. I'd prefer that to the DD I got. But way better than the I or J I was wearing. I can buy bras anywhere now, instead of only industrial-strength armor.

You'll be SO HAPPY