IP Daily Chat

You're on Page 6 of 7
Go to
  • Hi all

Just an FYI that the IP P1 sheet shared was an old one (from before I started IP P1 in 2012). IP updates the sheets frequently & many coaches don't stay up-to-date

Here is a link to the most up-to-date IP P1 sheet
    (and FYI, the pickles are listed on select veggies on this sheet, as well.)

A link to all of the most current sheets for Phases 1-4 is in the first post of every day's daily chat, for anyone's reference.
  • Quote: Good Morning All
    Are pickles a free food like lettuce?? Also is it ok to have 2 oz of protein with my lunch and then the other 4 oz for dinner?? Last can you switch and have the dinner protein for lunch and have the IP packet for dinner. I see my coach on Thursday but she doesn't seem as knowledgeable as all of you in this forum. Thanks in advance for your response. Here's to a great rest of the week and staying OP!!!
    Pickles do count as veggies, but my coach said I could eat a couple pickle spears if I was super hungry that first week. Otherwise, I'd count it. Also, I switch up my meals all the time and will sometimes add a couple ounces of my 8 oz protein allotment to my lunch with an IP packet. Some people don't like to mix meat with their IP packets, but I don't think that's a rule. I also try to eat my restricted item earlier in the day rather than before bed, but that's just me, not sure if that is recommended.

Second WI is tonight. I weighed myself at home this morning and my scale said I'm down another 5.5 pounds, hopefully that's what comes in on the coach's scale! I don't place an ounce of trust in my scale at home, I don't know why I even keep looking at it, haha.
  • Pickles are a great way to curb sweet cravings too!
  • Thanks everyone for clearing up the pickle dilemma. I'm so thankful I found this site, you all make this journey much easier!
  • So agree with pickles helping to curb my appetite ! So excited because I lost 5 lbs this week and guess what I stopped exercising . Yes I know you all told me this again and again. I had to find out the hard way.
  • Quote: Just use the pressure test like cooking steak. It should give a bit when you press the top of the burger. If it is very firm - oopsie... overdone.

Hope that helps...
    Liana
    I can't cook steak, either! Haha! I am a Southern casserole queen... boil that meat to death and throw it in a casserole with some kind of cream of something soup. I bought some frozen boneless chicken breasts and fish fillets that I was going to try cooked on the stovetop. They're still in the freezer because I'm scared to death!! Like it's going to be the end of the world if I don't cook it right.

I have been surviving (on IP) with whole chicken cooked in the crock pot (then deboned), canned tuna, roasted pork tenderloin, and a few hamburger patties. Oh, I did bake some boneless chicken breasts but wasn't too thrilled with them.

My husband would sure be thrilled if I could learn how to pan-cook a steak or chicken breast (or fish fillet)! That is on my list of things to accomplish with my new lifestyle change!!
  • Quote: I can't cook steak, either! Haha! I am a Southern casserole queen... boil that meat to death and throw it in a casserole with some kind of cream of something soup. I bought some frozen boneless chicken breasts and fish fillets that I was going to try cooked on the stovetop. They're still in the freezer because I'm scared to death!! Like it's going to be the end of the world if I don't cook it right.

I have been surviving (on IP) with whole chicken cooked in the crock pot (then deboned), canned tuna, roasted pork tenderloin, and a few hamburger patties. Oh, I did bake some boneless chicken breasts but wasn't too thrilled with them.

My husband would sure be thrilled if I could learn how to pan-cook a steak or chicken breast (or fish fillet)! That is on my list of things to accomplish with my new lifestyle change!!
    I don't believe I have pan cooked a steak in my life. I believe those belong outside on the grill,
  • Fish fillet cooking time for baking is 10 minutes per inch of thickness - so that should tell you how quickly fish cooks - if it gets overdone it gets dry and "manky" (rhymes with hanky panky - my DH's descriptive word for what looks like fish jerky). Fish fillet should flake easily but still look moist when you stick in a fork and twist to lift flakes. Likely the last thing you put in the oven when cooking a meal.

Another good way to do it is in a parchment paper packet layered with slices of onion & lemon (and veg too if you want to make it easy.) Lay parchment paper in the flat pan, lay onion slices down, fish goes on top next, then more onion & lemon slices, bring up the sides of the paper and fold over together like an envelope (fold the ends in too). Bake in the oven.

"Voila - Fish en Papillote" Good enough for company!
    Liana
  • Quote: I don't believe I have pan cooked a steak in my life. I believe those belong outside on the grill,
    We never did it either...but have attended many classes at the local cooking school recently where they have featured a series of lo carb classes the last 6 months....AMAZING! To convert my spouse...!!....I must tell you this was something we NEVER would have tried before the class. We have done it this way over the last miserable winter here in the east... when we had 18-24 inches of snow on roads and the deck...driving was horrible...and we could not get to our grill.

Here is a youtube video with Gordon Ramsey...this method ...very similar to the class demo (and meal)...including the method to check for done-ness...

Only thing...gotta skip the butter til IP maitenance...but the rest is spot on...and absolutely delicious. Must get pan smoking hot though...the secret is heat, and timing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FYZHkjgwdc
  • In honor of Earth Day today, I went and donated two bags of too big clothes - natural recycling.

Then because I needed to honor it more, I bought (natural recycling) two GORGEOUS pairs of Ann Taylor heels. Smaller size than when I started (10 down to 8.5, 9) AND I can walk in them which I could not do 100 ponds ago.
  • Quote: Hi, anyone have any tips or recipes for making homemade OP turkey patties (using the super lean ground turkey) that are not dry and tasteless?? I'm not having much luck...
    Did you comsider combining the turkey with bison or lean beef? Might help.

Quote: I don't believe I have pan cooked a steak in my life. I believe those belong outside on the grill,
    Same here! Grill it, baby!

Quote: In honor of Earth Day today, I went and donated two bags of too big clothes - natural recycling.

Then because I needed to honor it more, I bought (natural recycling) two GORGEOUS pairs of Ann Taylor heels. Smaller size than when I started (10 down to 8.5, 9) AND I can walk in them which I could not do 100 ponds ago.
    Love this! Awesome news on the shoes! (A rhyme for your Tuesday...)
  • Quote: Fish fillet cooking time for baking is 10 minutes per inch of thickness - so that should tell you how quickly fish cooks - if it gets overdone it gets dry and "manky" (rhymes with hanky panky - my DH's descriptive word for what looks like fish jerky). Fish fillet should flake easily but still look moist when you stick in a fork and twist to lift flakes. Likely the last thing you put in the oven when cooking a meal.

Another good way to do it is in a parchment paper packet layered with slices of onion & lemon (and veg too if you want to make it easy.) Lay parchment paper in the flat pan, lay onion slices down, fish goes on top next, then more onion & lemon slices, bring up the sides of the paper and fold over together like an envelope (fold the ends in too). Bake in the oven.

"Voila - Fish en Papillote" Good enough for company!
    Liana

Yum, that sounds good!
  • Quote: I can't cook steak, either! Haha! I am a Southern casserole queen... boil that meat to death and throw it in a casserole with some kind of cream of something soup. I bought some frozen boneless chicken breasts and fish fillets that I was going to try cooked on the stovetop. They're still in the freezer because I'm scared to death!! Like it's going to be the end of the world if I don't cook it right.

Try cutting your chicken breast to make two thinner ones if you are going stovetop as they cook faster. Buy a grill pan with the ridges or a regular pan and cook defrosted or you will dry it out for sure. I spice it up really well and everyone loves it. Or I squeeze lemon juice over top for a piccata. You could also dip in WF ranch dressing, roll in southwest curl crumbs and bake in the oven. Drizzle it with EVOO or spray with PAM before cooking for a crispier crust. Boneless chicken will take about 30 minutes at 375 this way. On the grill pan or BBQ it is usually 20.

I tried something new tonight. I haven't really enjoyed cauli mash as I don't like cauliflower. I haven't liked IP potatoes because there is too much chive and it is like pablum. Tonight I mixed the two and it felt much more like real potatoes!
  • Mmmm.... I'm coming to a few of your houses for dinner! Sounds delish! As for the dry turkey, does anyone use the mushroom soup as a sauce or gravy? I don't really like the soups "as is" - I usually turn add tons of veggies to them. I could see though that a turkey casserole might be yummy with one of the soups as a base...
  • Is green tea counted as a caffeine beverage requiring additional water intake? It has a lot less caffeine than coffee but still has caffeine.