Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 04:55 PM   #481  
Started IP 2/13/13

S/C/G: 248/123/123

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadjineh View Post
That sounds better SylviesGirl: 14:29 will definitely work, not optimum, but I've done that more than a few times and things work out fine. I find the trickier stuff to work with is actually avocado and certain nuts and high fat yogourt which still has natural milk sugar carbs, because their ratios are much closer than full on fats/oils or major carbs like pasta or potato.

Avocado is 8carb:14fat for a half fruit, but it does have about the same amount of fibre carbs so net is OK. If you decide to use pasta in your maintenance plan you are probably better off getting the whole grain style as it will at least cut net carbs via fibre.

Re: the 2c of cauli, 8 oz of lean burger and 1 tsp of oil = net carbs are 6 & fat is 14 and that's with Extra Lean 96% fat free beef - so with Lean the fat content would be even higher. Likely 18g so 1:3 - there you go. Figured from my MFP list.
I guess that's why they were so insistent on the 1 tsp of olive oil with each meal then. huh.

So, since I made 2 crusts while I was at it last night, I am having yet another pizza for dinner tonight. I will add more cheese and am planning a dessert of almond milk + 1 TB peanut butter blended up with ice for a frappe' type consistency. That makes for 19 g net carbs to 55 g fat. Does that sound good? 55 grams of fat? gulp! That makes me nervous . . . but I do see what you all are saying now and I did read that article and I do have to admit to often feeling unsatisfied lately as far as appetite -- all signalling not enough fat consumed. So I will give it a whirl . . . but I will admit, I'm nervous.

Thanks, Canadjineh!

drd -- I'm relieved to hear that the rash has calmed and that you are feeling somewhat better.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:13 PM   #482  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylviesGirl View Post
I guess that's why they were so insistent on the 1 tsp of olive oil with each meal then. huh.

So, since I made 2 crusts while I was at it last night, I am having yet another pizza for dinner tonight. I will add more cheese and am planning a dessert of almond milk + 1 TB peanut butter blended up with ice for a frappe' type consistency. That makes for 19 g net carbs to 55 g fat. Does that sound good? 55 grams of fat? gulp! That makes me nervous . . . but I do see what you all are saying now and I did read that article and I do have to admit to often feeling unsatisfied lately as far as appetite -- all signalling not enough fat consumed. So I will give it a whirl . . . but I will admit, I'm nervous.

Thanks, Canadjineh!

drd -- I'm relieved to hear that the rash has calmed and that you are feeling somewhat better.
Dinner sounds yummy... I'm coming to your house tonight, lol. If you are feeling unsatisfied & still hungry you may not be getting enough fat - that signals 'tummy full' to the brain.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:53 PM   #483  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Thanks for all the good wishes everyone! Still pretty rough but I had things that had to get done today so off I went. Plan on sleeping all day tomorrow.

drd - sorry about your reaction but glad to hear you are recovering well.

sylviesgirl - It was kind of hard to wrap my head around the healthy fats too but it really does make a difference in how you feel.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:50 AM   #484  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

Sylvie: I have used that crust with veges and feta cheese and did not have a problem. I did not eat the whole crust recipe though. You guys are better at counting fat/carb ratios. I just stick to low carb and use fats as I need.
You dinner sounds great. The key is do you have any up pounds from that meal. If not, it is good.

Canadjineh: I like that margarita recipe and the article on fats. They are good for you.

This may throw all of you off, but I found a good cauliflower mashed potato recipe. My previous efforts were not too exciting. Take 1 head of cauliflower and steam it . Then puree it with 4 T coconut butter and salt and pepper. It is quite good. The coconut butter really adds to the flavor.

In WA you just tell the clerk your weight and he writes it down!
Evemomma: That was a nice license story. I am glad I am not the only one who did not have a matching weight or picture for a number of years.

RuthAnn: That really was a NSV about being told to get a new license due to your changed appearance. Hope you are feeling better.

DRD I am glad you are feeling better!

Slipfree, the second half always goes quicker...too true.

I am off to a late breakfast with friends which throws off my eating schedule!

Last edited by Maile; 07-27-2014 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:49 AM   #485  

S/C/G: 237/158/175

Height: 5'7

Happy Sunday,

Yesterday is what I call a "Joy" day. Had Mom and my best friend up for a day in the garden and some celebrating was done. Today is Phase 1 for me. We are finally getting some rain which the veggies and flowers will appreciate.

Ruth Ann, hope that you sleep away the day and feel better soon.

Maile, enjoy your breakfast with your friends. I completely understand the discomfort of having your food schedule changed. I like my morning routine, especially in the summer.

Drd, happy to hear that the reaction is subsiding. How goes the use of the cane?
Old 07-27-2014, 12:28 PM   #486  

S/C/G: 190/137.5/140

Height: 5-4

I have been tooling around pretty good. In the house I often don't need the cane. I have been adding a block every day and walking it 2-3 times each day. I am up to 3 blocks which is about .6 miles.

Rash and hives are almost gone and I have dropped down to my all time lowest weight which is nice. My clothes all fit too. I was worried I would not have anything to wear because of swelling, but the swelling is not bad.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:34 PM   #487  
Start IP 08/11 at 213

S/C/G: restart 173/152/150

Height: 5'7" & shrinking 70 years old!

Default Maintenance Soon!

Just back from some time away & this is Day 7 of my P3, so looking forward to joining you here soon.

I've worked out several alternatives for P3 breakfasts but, just like other times I've gone into Maintenance, I feel a bit nervous about calculating ALL my meals!

Reading through the threads, it sounds like once you get the right rhythm, it is a bit easier to be creative. At least I hope that is true! Do I understand correctly that the 'fat' meal is a 3:1 ratio with carbs & the 'carb' meal is the reverse? And is that 'grams' of fat/carb or 'calories'?

I have the Beck Diet Solution for Life now, & am pouring through it. Also Refuse to Regain, which has some really pointed & practical things to say, so far. Thanks for those recommendations, Maile.

MFP is proving to be a great tool.

And I keep singing the praises of this site & these threads.

Enjoying P3 and looking ahead to P4! Wanting to head into this with a Plan, not just vague wishes
Old 07-27-2014, 11:15 PM   #488  

Hi westwillow: It's 3:1 and then reverse, counting grams not calories. I find if it's not a 'Funday' I have to actually work at getting enough calories as MFP is suggesting for me. Even with my heavy fats meals where calories might be 1200 the reverse higher carb just doesn't have the higher calorie count so it balances. While I am working nights I have difficulty planning to get enough meals in a day so that is my 'issue' right now.

Things are going OK though - still well within maintenance range - up or down a pound here or there.

Liana
Old 07-28-2014, 03:10 AM   #489  
Start IP 08/11 at 213

S/C/G: restart 173/152/150

Height: 5'7" & shrinking 70 years old!

Thanks Liana.

I am trying to wrap my head around a single meal with 1200 cals, when my whole day is staying in the neighbourhood of 1000!

Sounds like you are still juggling a bit with your night shifts - how are you managing when you have days off or are sleeping all night? You seem to do so well with staying within your weight parameters - great example you are setting!
Old 07-28-2014, 08:48 AM   #490  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

Westwillow: I like those books also and found them both to be helpful. Did your coach tell you to stay at 1000 calories a day? P4 is basically P3 with added foods and the fun day. Your habits of health will carry you through in P4.

Liana: Even if you are having trouble with that night schedule, you are doing well by staying in your maintenance range. How much longer will you do this
night job?

Slipfree: I survived even if we had to wait 40 minutes to get a table and another 40 minutes to get our orders. Sunday mornings are not good mornings to go out to a late brunch.

I have been staying in a two pound range which is nice.although I could do 4 pounds for my real range. However, my son brought back some Indian food so we shall see what happens.

Last edited by Maile; 07-28-2014 at 09:20 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:23 AM   #491  

Hi Maile & westwillow (not forgetting the rest of the gals on here ):

LOL, my dinner last night was over 1300 calories (thank you, double portion of macadamia nuts) but that is not my usual, I admit. I think with all the exercise I am getting via work in addition to fun stuff on my time off, I need to eat a lot more food than I had been for a while. This is more like how I lived before I got sick and unable to exercise and gained the weight. I am actually feeling pretty good fibromyalgia-wise, and my sleep must be improving (less alpha waves and more deep sleep phases during the night, maybe) since I have been a lot more energetic and just way less fatigued and in pain. Technically this contract lasts another month (then most of the troublemaking vacationers go home ) but the job itself is a continuing gig. We are a pretty safe town generally, so there isn't much call for daytime security except on construction sites on the weekends. That means mostly nights.
Last night was a 'day off,' as is tonight, so I went to bed at 12:30 am. The phone rang at 6 this morning for my DH who had already left for work, lol, so I got up at 7 after lazing about in bed after the call. Work again on Tuesday & Wed nights then a few days off to go to a big music festival where I will be dancing til 3 am anyhow and then sleeping on the beach (with sunscreen ). I haven't quite planned my eating since there are NO FOODS & DRINKS allowed to be taken into the festival site. I may have to go back to the campground to eat (only 5 minute walk). You never know what sort of crap will be on offer at the food stalls there especially since I have to be GF. At a Roots/Blues festival there is usually healthy international food and vegan choices, etc, BUT this is EDM (electronic dance music) so I think there may be a lot of bad choices that are there simply for flavour & calories. I hate to sound old & crotchety but young people don't always fuel themselves in a healthy way,

Liana

drd: you will be wearing out your cane & kicking up your heels again in no time flat!
maile: Does the coconut butter in the cauli add any coconut flavour at all? I can't seem to eat coconut oil as it just tastes too much like dessert no matter how I use it. Coconut milk in a Thai or Indian curry seems fine but the milk is not as intensely 'coconut' to me somehow. Perhaps it's because those foods are quite strongly flavoured with other spices & herbs, whereas veggies stirfried in coconut oil don't have that 'masking' effect. Ideas??

Last edited by canadjineh; 07-28-2014 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:23 AM   #492  

Hello Everyone,
Hit the 20 lbs mark and made it to the maintenance phase. I always lurked around this thread and I never thought I will join you any time soon but I made it :-).
I am officially in maintenance since last Friday and I am still eating Phase 3 meals as I don't know what to plan for maintenance.
It's like I know what to do until I reached my goal and now what do I do :-(
I am an Indian and finding a hard time finding egg/veggie based food. Here is what I am thinking about food options. Please advise if I should add /cut down anything.

Breakfast:
Coffee with 2% milk - 8 oz
2 Egg whites in 1 tbsp EVoo
Natural Ovens whole grain bread - 2 slices
Apple,celery,cucumber, Kale - Juice ( eventually will go to a smoothie hopefully!)

Lunch:
Indian lentils or some vegetable curry - 1 cup
Roti - Indian bread ( whole wheat flour and no oils) - 2 medium sized ones
Raw veggies like cucumber or zuchhini - 2 cups
one fruit

Snack:
One fruit or a quest bar( I saw many mainteners use this as a snack)

Dinner:
Indian lentils or some vegetable curry - 1 cup
Roti - Indian bread ( whole wheat flour and no oils) - 2 medium sized ones
Raw veggies like cucumber or zuchhini - 2 cups
Yogurt or butter milk - 8 oz
Old 07-28-2014, 11:46 AM   #493  

Hi again hope2781: Good to see you on the maintainers thread now! Your lunch OR dinner with carbs sounds yummy and you could even use higher carb veggies in it such as cauliflower or broccoli, but you need to put a fat heavier meal in there for the other meal - can you use full fat yogourt, and not do daal/lentils for one meal, but make an egg curry instead with an oil/ghee rich sauce and lower carb veggies like mustard greens or spinach or zucchini? Or add nuts to your meal, especially higher fat to carb ratio ones like walnuts or macadamia nuts. Do you use paneer? That would help too as 75% or so of the calories come from fat.

Hope that helps a bit, you will get the hang of it if you think about the individual ingredients in your meal - "how can I make a fat-rich meal and make it lower in carbs?"

Liana
Ps: You will be making Maile drool... I know I already am,

Last edited by canadjineh; 07-28-2014 at 11:49 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:52 PM   #494  

S/C/G: 190/137.5/140

Height: 5-4

I need my cane for the second hip in January! Dropped down to 136 today. I am eating full maintenance meals and have had a nibble here and there of treats. I wonder if I had so much inflammation before surgery that I was retaining fluids.

Did about 25% of my walk today without the cane.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:54 PM   #495  

S/C/G: 193/162/162

Height: 5' 6

Hello all;

It sounds like everyone is doing well and busy with summer and activities that go along with great weather and holidaying. I'm happy to read how well you are doing DRD even though you had that terrible reaction. Losing the weight no doubt is helping in your recovery and healing.

Welcome, hope2781! Congratulations on maintenance and this is a great thread to read. It really helps me along on my maintenance journey. I don't have anything to add to Lianas suggestion, she is great at knowing the details of what is healthy and the amount to eat. And as she suggests, we are all different and it doesn't take long to know how many carbs we can eat without gaining. I appreciate going back to a P1 day if I've eaten too many 'bad foods' and need to take off some up lbs. Its about enjoying life but staying in control at the same time. IDP taught me that I feel the best when I am eating healthy protein with lots of vegies. And I enjoy the healthy carbs. Its a balancing act but we have the tools. And there are many as you probably realize, that post here regularly that have been successful maintainers for awhile and are wiling to give great suggestions.

Speaking of P1, its another P1 day for me and I plan to have a couple more days of it as we go on our bike holiday this week. We will be biking lots in a national park, so beautiful but I will enjoy having a glass of wine by the fire as we are camping. I had a great run yesterday but had to push myself. Have a great week everyone!
Closed Thread