S/C/G: 193/162/162

Height: 5' 6

Thanks Ruth Ann! I feel better!
Old 05-11-2014, 10:05 AM   #122  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Just made some yogurt yesterday. It is SO EASY!
Put milk in pan
Slowly Heat to 180 F
Cool to 120
Whisk in yogurt starter (I use Siggis - organic, grass fed & not nonfat)
Put somewhere warm for 24 hours (oven with light on)
Save a few tablespoons for the next starter
Strain if you want Greek yogurt.
Put the resulting whey in the garden.
LOVE Siggis... even can find it in airports sometimes..(try the coffee shops)
Old 05-11-2014, 12:54 PM   #123  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Great yogourt in Canada: Liberte organic (from Quebec) and Island Farms Dairy Cooperative from BC. No gelatins, starches, fillers, artificial ingredients, just milk & live bacterial cultures. Fat ranges from 0%-9%.

I can recommend both from personal experience

Liana
Old 05-12-2014, 08:02 AM   #124  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Ok, you guys have convinced me to give making my own a shot. I love yogurt!

Went to a dinner with a bunch of family yesterday and had a great time. My first foray into eating away from home since I started maintenance. Made some good choices - had 1/2 a glass of wine, 1/2 slice of ice cream cake (and dh ate 1/2 of that) and today I am down 2 lbs. Went over my usual number of carbs, under on my fat - I actually ended up having 2 "carb meals" so I would have thought the scale would be up. Not complaining

Hope everyone had a great weekend.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:34 AM   #125  
P4

S/C/G: 238 highest--IP197/165/165

Height: 5'4"

Default Back on track

A full week ago a did a four day pig out. Not a real binge...just ate overate like buddies I was with that weekend.
And...I'm happy to say that after a week on P1 I am lower than before that weekend. Almost ready to try maintenance again.
Scary but this time I'll have my chart based on the Whatcha eating board.
So glad you gals are so helpful.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:22 PM   #126  
Started IP 6/14/12

S/C/G: 202.8/165/135

Height: 5'1"

Hi everyone! I'm out of the Black Hole of Final Grading. Turned in my final grades at noon, came home and ate a wonderful IP chicken soup curry dish that I love + a big salad. It will take at least the rest of today (maybe more) to decompress, but I can see the light.

That said, it was no problem at all to stick to P1 during this. I'm already down 6 pounds from last week at this time and I will continue this until the remaining few are gone and I can wear my skinny summer clothes. I want to be back below my goal weight by June 12, my 2 year date from beginning IP. I'm now over a year into maintenance and that feels wonderful.

We are so lucky to have these tools!

Yes, eandc2006, it requires consistent attention to maintain. I still am attached to seeing numbers on the scale, although the way clothes fit should be a better indicator.

I started to say "it's a constant battle," but I really don't want to have a constant battle in my life. I want to reframe the thought and merely remain careful in what I eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak1lls View Post
I like many others have found that maintenance is a lot of work at times and continued vigilance. I recently learned just how hard it is on my body to return to my old eating habits....So, Monday I started P1 again and am down 4lbs. Even though I am starting to feel better I still have pain in my joints, abdomen, back and swelling. I know eating this stuff was not good for me in the past, but I seem to be so much more sensitive to it now. I do not want to continue a cycle of constantly doing P1, because I really want to get away from processed foods. So, I am recommitting to those life changes I know in my heart are required for me.
Dak1lls, So true. I agree that this is not the best cycle and I hope to get out of it. Thus far, in this one year, I've done little segments of P1 (2 weeks or so) 3 times. I know it's better than having to do 9 months of P1, and I'll do it periodically if it means I can keep the weight off. But I'd prefer not to.

Vachinyc, I also still get light-headed when I put out a lot of energy and don't have enough protein in my system. I also find that the little bit of carb and sugar that it in the IP bars (or alternative bars, like Quest) + the protein will do the trick.

Canadjineh, Thanks for the snack suggestions! These are great!!

Maile, Thanks for you wonderful lists of how to maintain. You continue to be an inspiration to me. You always have such kind and thoughtful words to encourage people, too. I appreciate it.

Tisado, yes, it's good we have this tool.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:08 AM   #127  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

Joysh: Good to hear that your grades are done and that your p1 is going well. Thank goodness for these tools from IP. I do not look at maintenance as a battle..but do consider it as constant vigilance and monitoring. However, I really am enjoying it!
Tisado: Being prepared with charts for meals is a good idea for your return to maintenance.

RuthAnn: I am glad the scale was not up! You are doing well.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:06 PM   #128  

Hi everyone.
I'm adding things sparingly & slowly

Tonite I made guac (real guac...not even half asparagus)
I'll use that as the spread on my IP zucchini/potato bread tomorrow with my veggie sandwich.

I've added a paleo pancake (gf) for breakfast or some yogurt with fruit. I'm just not adding everything on the same day at this point.

The simplest thing I'm adding is more select veggies and not worrying about restricting the occasional veggies. Oh, and more fats...

This is the way my doc gradually wants to add foods. She prefers I add fats to carbs at this point.

And she thinks she can get me back off thyroid meds

I'm still enjoying mostly P1 foods...just gradually adding more. I feel so much better if I stay away from carbier foods. We'll slowly play with this and see how I do.

I may actually do eggs with greens and guac in the morning, instead of a smoothie. Back to planning...
Old 05-14-2014, 08:14 AM   #129  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Wow - everyone is so motivating and has such great ideas!

I'm plugging along - getting easy to plan as I add more variety. Trying to branch out a little and not eat the same things all the time. I realized that I was tending to stick to the same foods because they were known and easy but I don't want to get bored. Of course, it makes it really easy to pack my lunch if I eat the same thing all the time!

Big "duh" moment for me - was having terrible runs and kept thinking maybe I was overdoing the dairy. Of course, stopping the magnesium supplements never crossed my mind. Makes a huge difference!
Old 05-14-2014, 10:35 AM   #130  
Started IP 2/13/13

S/C/G: 248/123/123

Height: 5'2"

Okay, maintainers, I need some insights. I know that I am the only one who can ultimately make the decision to start phasing off, but I would like your opinions to be thrown in the stew before I decide, if you would be kind enough.

This week, I am down 1.5 from last Wednesday, but up 1 from Friday. That makes for down .5 for the past 2 weeks. So that is where I am this morning, just as background.

My goals is/was 120. I believe that will be a bit low to ultimately maintain, but I am trying to allow for the glycogen stores refilling (3 - 5 lbs) and then giving myself a 5 lb range for maintenance. My true "resting" weight/goal being 125 - 130 which, you'll notice is where I am right now, and I think that is part of why my "drive" is gone.

These last few lbs are being very stubborn and I am beginning to kind of stall out. I am getting resentful of the plan for the first time ever. My attitude is beginning to sour. I am hungry all. the. time. It is a slog now, and I'm wondering if my body is telling me to phase off; it needs things changed up. Or if I am just getting frustrated and throwing in the towel. Can anyone relate? I don't want to put too much importance on these last few lbs that the whole thing turns into a negative, frustrating experience.

So my questions to you maintainers are:

1. Being at 128 now, is it possible that I will get down to 120 through the phasing off process? Is it likely?

2. Is the logic behind my 120 goal sound? Or, if I feel like that is too low of a number for me to maintain (and be able to live how I want to live), is it too low of a number to try to hit in the first place? Am I building in some measure of failure?

I could use some feedback. Everything is beginning to get jumbled and emotional in my head about this. I don't want to break my neck over a number that maybe doesn't make that much sense. On the other hand, after 15 months on P1 and 120lbs off, I don't want to give up prematurely, just a few lbs short of a goal . . . if that goal is logical.

Thanks.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:51 PM   #131  
Started IP 6/14/12

S/C/G: 202.8/165/135

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylviesGirl View Post
Okay, maintainers, I need some insights.
So my questions to you maintainers are:

1. Being at 128 now, is it possible that I will get down to 120 through the phasing off process? Is it likely?

2. Is the logic behind my 120 goal sound? Or, if I feel like that is too low of a number for me to maintain (and be able to live how I want to live), is it too low of a number to try to hit in the first place? Am I building in some measure of failure?

I could use some feedback. Everything is beginning to get jumbled and emotional in my head about this. I don't want to break my neck over a number that maybe doesn't make that much sense. On the other hand, after 15 months on P1 and 120lbs off, I don't want to give up prematurely, just a few lbs short of a goal . . . if that goal is logical.

Thanks.
Hi Sylvie. Not sure if this will help, but I can share my experience. I lost 4 pounds on P2 - and I did P2 for about 3 weeks. I was very hesitant and apprehensive about going out of ketosis. But I spent 2 full weeks on strict P3 and lost another 3 pounds. When I finally added more foods in full maintenance I gained 2 pounds and maintained that through the summer until I went on a trip and went little overboard.

But I've been able to maintain pretty well. Right now I'm doing a few weeks of P1 to get off a few extra pounds and get back to my "under goal weight" that I want to be at for the summer. But I credit the process.

You're correct in stating that only you can make the final decision about phasing off, but you've been on P1 for 15 months. I was on it strictly for 9 months and lost 80 pounds. The thing is, you can continue to lose on P2; the only difference is your lunches look like your dinners, so you are eating a bit more calories. I completely understand your readiness to move forward.

Continue to read these boards and get inspiration from those who have gone before. Continue to track your food each day and watch the scale. My advice would be to be careful and take the time to phase off properly and slowly, giving your body ample time to adjust to the addition of more calories and other foods.

You've done so well! Congratulations!
Old 05-14-2014, 01:35 PM   #132  

Hi SylviesGirl: according to the WHO & CDC charts you are in your normal healthy range right now... depending on your age - you are in the 17-42nd percentile (comparing American weights of course). So it is up to you and how comfortable you feel with your body. Of course, the more we are stressed, the higher our cortisol levels get and the easier we keep or pack on additional fat. Sooo... take a deep breath.
You already have the tools to correct any upward tendencies if need be, so you can relax and decide whatever you like. Probably not likely at your height that you will lose 8 lbs in Phase off, maybe 1/2 that - IF you are one who tends to lose at that time.

We can all help support you in your decision here...

Liana
Old 05-14-2014, 01:39 PM   #133  
Started IP 2/13/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by joysh View Post
Hi Sylvie. Not sure if this will help, but I can share my experience. I lost 4 pounds on P2 - and I did P2 for about 3 weeks. I was very hesitant and apprehensive about going out of ketosis. But I spent 2 full weeks on strict P3 and lost another 3 pounds. When I finally added more foods in full maintenance I gained 2 pounds and maintained that through the summer until I went on a trip and went little overboard.

But I've been able to maintain pretty well. Right now I'm doing a few weeks of P1 to get off a few extra pounds and get back to my "under goal weight" that I want to be at for the summer. But I credit the process.

You're correct in stating that only you can make the final decision about phasing off, but you've been on P1 for 15 months. I was on it strictly for 9 months and lost 80 pounds. The thing is, you can continue to lose on P2; the only difference is your lunches look like your dinners, so you are eating a bit more calories. I completely understand your readiness to move forward.

Continue to read these boards and get inspiration from those who have gone before. Continue to track your food each day and watch the scale. My advice would be to be careful and take the time to phase off properly and slowly, giving your body ample time to adjust to the addition of more calories and other foods.

You've done so well! Congratulations!
Thanks, Joysh. I really appreciate you sharing your experience with me. It never occurred to me that I could do P2 for an extra week or so. I think it is P3 that I am fearing. Phase 2 may be what I need right now, though, and might give me what I need better than P1. I am starting to want to be more active (which, if you had known the "old" me, you would know what a miracle that is), but find that I really don't have the strength. My husband and I have rediscovered walking together -- we used to love to do that together -- but some days, it really saps me. The other day, we went kayaking (just flat water), but I was really dragging. I want to get back into some kind of shape and have some strength and stamina and enjoy the summer months more . . . and then I get impatient with the process. P2 may be the answer and, if I still lose a few more on it -- perfect! I did do P2 back in January for a bit to help jump start a stall and, you're right, I did lose on P2. You've definitely added to my perspective -- thanks so much.

Is there any detriment to being on P2 longer than 2 weeks? Does anyone know of a reason to limit it? Not that I am contemplating being on it endlessly, but just gathering information.

No matter what I do, I will be no further than P2 over Memorial Day as we are going on vacation, and I don't want my first bit of freedom to happen on vacation. I will need to be home, sequestered, with my computer, this forum, myfitnesspal, my food, etc!
Old 05-14-2014, 01:41 PM   #134  
Started IP 2/13/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadjineh View Post
Hi SylviesGirl: according to the WHO & CDC charts you are in your normal healthy range right now... depending on your age - you are in the 17-42nd percentile (comparing American weights of course). So it is up to you and how comfortable you feel with your body. Of course, the more we are stressed, the higher our cortisol levels get and the easier we keep or pack on additional fat. Sooo... take a deep breath.
You already have the tools to correct any upward tendencies if need be, so you can relax and decide whatever you like. Probably not likely at your height that you will lose 8 lbs in Phase off, maybe 1/2 that - IF you are one who tends to lose at that time.

We can all help support you in your decision here...

Liana
Thanks, Liana! Am I really in the normal healthy range now???? Wooo-Hooooo! I hadn't realized that! I hadn't checked in a few weeks. That is mind-blowing -- for many years I never thought I would ever be in that category again.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:51 PM   #135  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylviesGirl View Post
Thanks, Liana! Am I really in the normal healthy range now???? Wooo-Hooooo! I hadn't realized that! I hadn't checked in a few weeks. That is mind-blowing -- for many years I never thought I would ever be in that category again.
Here's a couple of helpful sites: an MD's site for body mass index: http://www.halls.md/body-mass-index/bmi.htm I choose WHO/CDC as they are probably have the largest sample base (whole world lol).

And to get an idea of body fat % - they do say it is not totally accurate (only the underwater weigh-in is, lol) but at least it is something to go by: I suggest the Covert Baily Body Fat Tool simply because more measurements have to be plugged in to get the #. If you are fairly active you could probably use the Military Tool taken from US Dep't of Defense as they assume a larger % of muscle fibers than average.
http://www.fat2fittools.com/

At least it's an interesting view of ourselves...
Liana
Closed Thread