Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 10:56 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandc2006 View Post
Morning maintainers! Hope you all are are well and looking forward to a nice weekend. I am so happy its Friday. This weekend I am planning on finishing painting our guest room, getting my hair done, riding my bike to a homemade/handcrafted market in the neighborhood, attending a BBQ for a leadership program I am a part of, and RELAXING..somewhere in all of this. LOL.

Just to illustrate the "fun" scale jive and how weight loss or weight maintenance can be all of the place I wanted to share my weekly stats. As you know, I decided to do a week of phase 1 post being sick to get off a few lbs although with TOM nearing I am thinking it could have something to do with me being at the top of my range.

Started on Monday...Tuesday was 135. Skipped weighing on Wednesday. Yesterday I was 132. Today, I woke up with extremely puffy eyes and my wedding ring was tight. Got on the scale and it said 135. This is the course of 5 days. I know that I am not gaining weight but looking at how things impact us is interesting.

Just wanted to share to illustrate how our bodies react, process, and change each day and why for me a "range" is important since I mentioned that in my post yesterday. Rarely can I hit the same numbers on the scale each day.
Well done...and so important to recognize. In myself I see similar peaks and hills...esp after anything with tomato sauce or seafood of any kind. I totally make my own tomato sauce but since I am out of last summer's frozen bounty from our garden...I am real careful to only buy and use the no salt added tomatoes......It will be good when the real deal hits the produce counters and farmers market again...soooooon I hope!
Old 04-25-2014, 08:36 PM   #47  
Started IP August 14 2013

S/C/G: 216.5/153/155

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandc2006 View Post
Morning maintainers! Hope you all are are well and looking forward to a nice weekend. I am so happy its Friday. This weekend I am planning on finishing painting our guest room, getting my hair done, riding my bike to a homemade/handcrafted market in the neighborhood, attending a BBQ for a leadership program I am a part of, and RELAXING..somewhere in all of this. LOL.

Just to illustrate the "fun" scale jive and how weight loss or weight maintenance can be all of the place I wanted to share my weekly stats. As you know, I decided to do a week of phase 1 post being sick to get off a few lbs although with TOM nearing I am thinking it could have something to do with me being at the top of my range.

Started on Monday...Tuesday was 135. Skipped weighing on Wednesday. Yesterday I was 132. Today, I woke up with extremely puffy eyes and my wedding ring was tight. Got on the scale and it said 135. This is the course of 5 days. I know that I am not gaining weight but looking at how things impact us is interesting.

Just wanted to share to illustrate how our bodies react, process, and change each day and why for me a "range" is important since I mentioned that in my post yesterday. Rarely can I hit the same numbers on the scale each day.
I'm glad you shared this...and I appreciate everyone sharing how they manage the fun day/meal. I started out just adding a fun meal here and there and really didn't need the P1 day at all. (Most days are roughly P3 breakfast and P2 lunch and dinner with the occasional carb thrown in)

however, this past weekend, I had family visiting and while we walked a lot, I think I had too much eating out. I was roughly doing one fun meal a day. Not crazy but not paying as much attention to separating fat/carbs. Definitely a little random snacking with the kids. And, it's also TOM. (Which for me is also big C) I did a P1 day early this week and have been p3 breakfast/p2 lunch & dinner all week. Still up 2-3. I'm going to see what happens in the next couple of days but it was a little wake up call that it doesn't take much. Or that maybe three days in a row is too many.

Happy Friday all!
Old 04-26-2014, 11:22 AM   #48  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

That sodium can add pounds quickly..canned tomato sauce can be one culprit. Yesterday I discovered that zero sprite has 60 mgs of sodium. I am staying away from diet soda except once in awhile.

I also use the range..I do not stay at the same weight everyday. I still like my trending line from weightgraphers.

Happy Weekend.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:59 PM   #49  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maile View Post
That sodium can add pounds quickly..canned tomato sauce can be one culprit. Yesterday I discovered that zero sprite has 60 mgs of sodium. I am staying away from diet soda except once in awhile.

I also use the range..I do not stay at the same weight everyday. I still like my trending line from weightgraphers.

Happy Weekend.
Wow. I would never have thought sprite zero would have all that sodium. I have given soda up too. Good thing!

Today at my weigh in, I was literally at the same weight I've been since March when I started maintenance. Yahoo! I guess the fluctuations were TOM/big C and/or taken care of with my P1 day
Old 04-27-2014, 11:49 AM   #50  
Maile

Your maintenance is working! You are doing it! Good news on your weight staying the same. The fluctuations can be scary but you get used to them.

I am traveling so I will see what fluctuations I have when I return. These SF hills should be good for something!

My son lives in Fairfax near DC. You live in a great area.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:18 PM   #51  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maile View Post
Your maintenance is working! You are doing it! Good news on your weight staying the same. The fluctuations can be scary but you get used to them.

I am traveling so I will see what fluctuations I have when I return. These SF hills should be good for something!

My son lives in Fairfax near DC. You live in a great area.
The DC area is great - though the traffic is abysmal! Enjoy San Fran. I love it out there too.

I just wanted to post today to say how grateful I am that I've learned so much on this program and from the boards. I'm amazed that 'maintenance works' and that I don't feel super deprived. Sometimes, sure, I'd like to make carefree food choices but I now approach that scenario with a check and balance mentality...it's not 'can't', it's a choose not to this time in order to (insert many benefits here).
Most importantly, the big key for me is the protein and healthy fat...both make me full and satiated, which for me, helps with the mindless munching and bad choices. The crazy low fat/no fat which equaled high carbs of the processed variety diets just don't work (for me). Who wants to be hungry all the time? Not me. I really appreciate how this plan has helped me get over the fear of fats in food. And has helped me learn about proteins. I am sure I will continue to learn and adjust - I just really appreciate having the tools to do that.
Happy day!
Old 04-30-2014, 10:16 AM   #52  
Third time's the charm!

S/C/G: 254.8/Ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

I have a question. For your weekly fun day, I know you are supposed to do a phase one day after. Are the fun days mandatory, and if I chose not to have one, must I still do one phase one day a week? Just on a temporary phase off and hitting phase one again in just over two weeks. Thanks
Old 04-30-2014, 10:46 AM   #53  

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkingsusie View Post
I have a question. For your weekly fun day, I know you are supposed to do a phase one day after. Are the fun days mandatory, and if I chose not to have one, must I still do one phase one day a week? Just on a temporary phase off and hitting phase one again in just over two weeks. Thanks
I only do it if we have had a"social" event over the weekend or the previous day...which is usually only one meal...not an all day thing....

It is easier for me to stick to my own maintenance plan as much as possible. An extra for me would be a glass of wine, or extra fruit for dessert...(usually berries) or a piece of chocolate, or some cheese or avacado before a meal as an appetizer. That would cause me to go to a P1 day ASAP. Sometimes a salty day...seafood or tomato or hot sauce causes the scale to register water gain...so I make sure I do extra water the next day when I see that.

KSS is easiest and most successful for me.

Acknowledge tho' this is not going to work for some. Most have considerably more calorie leeway than I do...and others simply are not willing to give up or limit certain foods. Thank goodness..I have not found that to be an issue. I loved the simplicity of IP and enjoy eating healthy now...so a lot of the "problem foods" .....carbohydrates, fried foods, junk and snack items or processed sugar are not things I CHOOSE. We simply don't buy them.

Actually, much the way when I was on P1 I started paying attention to what other tables were ordering in restaurants...now I look at other's grocery carts as they check out...and honestly...would be embarrassed to have the junk some folks buy in my cart. (We don't feed it to our grandchildren either.) This makes staying out of trouble easier!

Last edited by 65X65; 04-30-2014 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:20 AM   #54  

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkingsusie View Post
Hey Susie: I don't have a fun day every week. And generally if I do have a fun day, it's more like a fun meal on a day, rather than a whole day. If I don't do a fun day, I don't do P1. Sometimes if I've only had a glass or two of wine as my fun, I don't do a P1 day -- more like a P3/P2. BUT, I think maintenance is a far more personalized phase than the others. Each person has to tinker with it and see what works and what you like doing.

I'm not sure if there's a hard and fast 'rule' in maintenance re: having to do a fun day. My coach has said many times...no need to add a fun day unless you want it.

Hope you're doing well!
Old 05-01-2014, 07:16 AM   #55  

Quote:
Originally Posted by vachinyc View Post
Hey Susie: I don't have a fun day every week. And generally if I do have a fun day, it's more like a fun meal on a day, rather than a whole day. If I don't do a fun day, I don't do P1. Sometimes if I've only had a glass or two of wine as my fun, I don't do a P1 day -- more like a P3/P2. BUT, I think maintenance is a far more personalized phase than the others. Each person has to tinker with it and see what works and what you like doing.

I'm not sure if there's a hard and fast 'rule' in maintenance re: having to do a fun day. My coach has said many times...no need to add a fun day unless you want it.

Hope you're doing well!
It does really seem more of us veer off our new lifestyle with a drink or two or a special meal rather than the "fun day".... What ever you decide...will be right for you. The important thing is to decide what works for your metabolism and personality!
Old 05-01-2014, 07:35 AM   #56  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Been stalking the maintainers thread for the past few day since I move to maintenance on Saturday. Yeah me! Thanks everyone for sharing what's working for you - lots of good ideas here.

Nervous about adding all those carbs, fats, etc. but already planning on how to do it.

My dh asked what I wanted for my first "fun meal" and I honestly could not think of anything I was really craving. I like the way I eat now and really haven't missed much that I'm not adding back in now that I'm going to maintenance. He asked "don't you want a pizza or something?" And it doesn't even sound good. I think my tastes have changed! Hooray!

I am looking forward to a glass of wine with dinner or a Friday martini.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:23 AM   #57  
Maile

Ruth Ann..That is great that you are going on maintenance on Saturday! I also had a martini when I reached maintenance!

65x65 That is good advice. Everyone needs to determine their own maintenance for their own personality.

Vachinyc: I agree with you. Protein and fats help keep me stable as well. I used to try to eat low fat and was unsuccessful in keeping my weight off. I am enjoying this new way of eating. I am glad you are doing well.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:35 PM   #58  

S/C/G: 190/137.5/140

Height: 5-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Ann View Post
Been stalking the maintainers thread for the past few day since I move to maintenance on Saturday. Yeah me! Thanks everyone for sharing what's working for you - lots of good ideas here.

Nervous about adding all those carbs, fats, etc. but already planning on how to do it.

My dh asked what I wanted for my first "fun meal" and I honestly could not think of anything I was really craving. I like the way I eat now and really haven't missed much that I'm not adding back in now that I'm going to maintenance. He asked "don't you want a pizza or something?" And it doesn't even sound good. I think my tastes have changed! Hooray!

I am looking forward to a glass of wine with dinner or a Friday martini.
Whoohoooo!
Old 05-01-2014, 01:56 PM   #59  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

New maintainers (yaaay Ruth Ann) and the 'regulars', I do more like a fun meal than day and I don't schedule it weekly as I don't seem to crave it that way... Just making sure that it is LESS often than 1x/week not MORE often, lol. The next day is usually a P2 sort of day now and it seems to be working fine. A couple times in the past 2 months I have had a definite FunDAY not so much in amount of calories consumed as in bad carb/fat combos. THEN it's a P1 day the next day for me.

Last edited by canadjineh; 05-01-2014 at 01:57 PM. Reason: bad typing, lol
Old 05-01-2014, 10:32 PM   #60  

Welcome to Maintenance Ruth Ann! You'll love it

Last edited by vachinyc; 05-01-2014 at 10:33 PM.
Closed Thread