Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 08:43 AM   #16  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

Here is an interesting blog by a woman who has maintained her 80 pound weight loss for 5 years. I like: no food can trigger me if I am feeling strong.

5 Surprises After 5 Years of Maintenance
Tuesday, March 11, 2014

What can I say about 5 years of maintaining an 80 pound weight loss after more than 5 decades of being overweight or obese? I've already said so much. In "Please Read This Blog If You've Gained Back Weight Before," I credit Super Foods, increased cardio, and most importantly the mindset to "quit quitting" as my keys to maintenance success.

In "How I Found My Inner Jock" I tell about my foray into running after years of gradually evolving from couch potato status. Running has helped me. I love it. But I know that successful maintenance is probably 80% food and 20% activity. During time of injury or limited activity for any reason, I can still maintain by focusing on food. I feel best, though, if I get in my activity!!

What can I add at this 5 year milestone? Well, I am really surprised about a lot of things.

1. First surprise: I have kept off 80 pounds. Honestly, I did not think I could do it. And that lack of confidence scared me. I read that having confidence in your ability to maintain is important to success. I knew I wasn't confident, so I worked to try to build confidence. Blogging about small successes, acknowledging and savoring compliments from friends and celebrating minor victories all helped me gain confidence.

2. Second surprise: It still isn't easy. It takes a daily (or more often) commitment. And the hardest day to make that commitment is when I messed up the day before. I know those "getting back on track" days are critical to success. I've had an hour or maybe two in the past 5 years where I gave up. But I have not had a whole day. I grab some water, do some exercise, and declare myself back to healthy living NOW.

3. Third surprise: If I honestly look at how much time I spend struggling with food issues, it is a very small percentage of my life. Given that it isn't easy, and that I'm tempted to overeat every week (actually on most days), I could envision myself obsessed with food and food thoughts. That isn't so. Usually I have a small period of time after supper when it is hard not to eat even though I know I don't need more food. That time is harder when I'm tired but can't go to bed yet or when I haven't been able to exercise. Thinking about what I really, really want helps at those times.

4. Fourth surprise: I don't have to endure much hunger. Through the Beck Diet Solution I learned that I can endure hunger. Hunger is not an emergency. However, maintenance is easier for me if I'm not hungry. If I make wise choices and eat small meals often, I have very little actual hunger. If I go to a ball park and have a hot dog on a white bun or go to a birthday party and choose to have a piece of cake I will be hungry and want to go over my calorie limits. I know it is my choice. Do I want to eat a convenience food or enjoy a treat? If so, am I willing to endure a bit of hunger?

5. Fifth surprise: I have not nailed down my healthy routines. I still don't have menu plans that I have been meaning to develop now for years. Hubby still does the grocery shopping and our kitchen is filled with whatever is on special. He is great about always getting lots of fruits and veggies. And I always have tuna in water, fat free cottage cheese, frozen plain fish like cod and tilapia, 70 calorie Boca Burgers and other low calorie protein sources so I can choose to eat something other than what he wants. I've definitely learned to be flexible. I can make my calories balance out even if a last minute decision to eat out is thrown at me. I've learned that no food can trigger me to eat if I'm feeling strong and healthy and determined. I am stronger than peanut butter. I am stronger than candy bars. I am stronger than cake. I am stronger than any food.

And it is no surprise that the support I've gotten from my friends has been a major factor in my success! Life is good. Life is precious. And to be able to live life fit is a tremendous blessing to be valued and prized!!

Last edited by Maile; 04-19-2014 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:25 AM   #17  

Height: 5'2

Are you maintainers still taking supplements? I bought some Kirkland omega 3's from Costco but would like your input on a good quality multi vitamin that I don't have to pay an arm and a leg for through IP.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:28 AM   #18  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

I just bought the Kirkland Women't multi. I do not use IP vitamins anymore.

Hope you find something that works for you. The IP are expensive, but they helped me when I was losing.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:32 PM   #19  
knm

S/C/G: 146/146/125

Height: 5'1

Hi Everyone,
I've been in maintenance since early March, and I'm not doing so well. I'm up about 8 lbs. I realize some of it could be the glycogen storage and I've been working out tons lately, so some could be muscle, but my clothes are starting to get tight again and I constantly feel bloated.
I've gone to a naturopath and had her do an IgG test where they test you for any food intolerances you may have. I'm expecting to hear back from her anyday now on the results.
I haven't been following IP maintenance, my dietician told me to just focus on counting calories for now.
I'm really enjoying my workout classes, plus I've paid for them, so not ready to give them up and go back on a strict P1 diet, but I also wanna get rid of this weight before I let it get out of control again.
Sorry, not the greatest first Maintenance post for me! Just wanted to sort of introduce myself and let you all know where I'm at, as I'm hoping this will be my new go-to thread.
Again, sorry for the pity post!
Old 04-21-2014, 01:28 PM   #20  

Hey kmn. Good to see you on here now. Congrats on getting to maintenance. I would say that maintaining is a learning process that oftentimes means gaining a losing a few pesky 5-7lbs here and there....well it has been for me anyways. Rather than panic, I have learned to take a deep breath, step back, and go back to what I know works which for me is phase 1.

Since you are exercising and don't want to stop, perhaps doing phase 2 or even phase 3 rigidly for a couple days to see what works. It really is a big experiment I think in finding out how our body responds, etc. Or perhaps do phase 1 but add extra protein.

Counting calories never helped me to lose weight so I haven't tried in to maintain. What I usually do is follow phase 3 bfasts everyday and phase 1 dinners and lunches for the most part. I do however, have several meals each week where I eat whatever I want.

I think it is wise though to definitely heed notice when clothing fits differently. You will be able to knock this out in no time. Cheering you on!
Old 04-21-2014, 02:14 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Hi all: I am still taking supplements (I always have since I was young, for general health reasons). I've never taken IP ones since they couldn't guarantee gluten free. If you do have food sensitivities or diseases that are affected by foods you might want to make sure that your supplements are compatible. You can check with Consumer Digest (probably have to have an e-subscription or check at your public library) to find the highest quality controlled supplements for the price, as well.

knm: counting calories doesn't work long term... that's how many of us got where we were in the first place, losing weight and then putting it right back on again. Using the fat and carb separation of 'Maintenance' for your meals is vital. That's the whole trick to keeping insulin from sending the accompanying fats to storage.
I've been at maintenance for 7 weeks now without problems and generally don't even worry about eating in Phase 1-3 style EXCEPT after a 'Funday' when it is fairly strict phase 1 for one day. You can access some of my food diary on Maintenance What are you eating IPeeps thread. I don't generally have a high calorie diet - it works out to between 1600 and 2000 cal on MyFitnessPal but I don't watch that part of it - I generally look for tracking my ratio of carbs to fats at each meal. My clinic and coach suggested tracking on MFP and it helps A LOT!

You can get through this, just remember your fat carb ratios...

Liana - ok, I'm off my soap box now
Old 04-21-2014, 02:15 PM   #22  
knm

Thanks eandc. You're right, I just need to figure out what works for me. Just frustrating cuz I'm trying to get back to a "normal" way of eating (including fruits and veggies that were no-nos on IP - carrots, avocados, etc) but I don't have the patience to try something for a few weeks and if it doesn't work I've lost that time which I could have been on IP.
I'm thinking trying to do P2 most days (using alternatives though) with the odd non-IP snack (greek yogurt with blueberries or carrots with hummus or a healthier "dip"). I realize that will keep me out of ketosis, but I'm okay with that since I never have enough energy to workout when I'm in ketosis.
I also need to up my water, I've been slacking on that lately.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:15 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandc2006 View Post
Hey kmn. Good to see you on here now. Congrats on getting to maintenance. I would say that maintaining is a learning process that oftentimes means gaining a losing a few pesky 5-7lbs here and there....well it has been for me anyways. Rather than panic, I have learned to take a deep breath, step back, and go back to what I know works which for me is phase 1.

Since you are exercising and don't want to stop, perhaps doing phase 2 or even phase 3 rigidly for a couple days to see what works. It really is a big experiment I think in finding out how our body responds, etc. Or perhaps do phase 1 but add extra protein.

Counting calories never helped me to lose weight so I haven't tried in to maintain. What I usually do is follow phase 3 bfasts everyday and phase 1 dinners and lunches for the most part. I do however, have several meals each week where I eat whatever I want.

I think it is wise though to definitely heed notice when clothing fits differently. You will be able to knock this out in no time. Cheering you on!
I find this full of insight...and it definitely IS trial and error... ! We are ultimately the best "knowers" of our own body..

ie-
Carb sensitivity, and understanding it is about what we eat...
Not just counting calories, because most of us found out prior to IP, that is a flawed system (calorie or points counting) if your metabolic mechanism is flawed!! Deep inside...we all really do know our own truth...and the IP diet is not going to fix broken. Instead, fixing your approach to dealing with a metabolism that is "unique", is probably a better process and one you can control.

It just takes being brutally honest with yourself.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:49 PM   #24  
knm

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadjineh View Post
Hi all: I am still taking supplements (I always have since I was young, for general health reasons). I've never taken IP ones since they couldn't guarantee gluten free. If you do have food sensitivities or diseases that are affected by foods you might want to make sure that your supplements are compatible. You can check with Consumer Digest (probably have to have an e-subscription or check at your public library) to find the highest quality controlled supplements for the price, as well.

knm: counting calories doesn't work long term... that's how many of us got where we were in the first place, losing weight and then putting it right back on again. Using the fat and carb separation of 'Maintenance' for your meals is vital. That's the whole trick to keeping insulin from sending the accompanying fats to storage.
I've been at maintenance for 7 weeks now without problems and generally don't even worry about eating in Phase 1-3 style EXCEPT after a 'Funday' when it is fairly strict phase 1 for one day. You can access some of my food diary on Maintenance What are you eating IPeeps thread. I don't generally have a high calorie diet - it works out to between 1600 and 2000 cal on MyFitnessPal but I don't watch that part of it - I generally look for tracking my ratio of carbs to fats at each meal. My clinic and coach suggested tracking on MFP and it helps A LOT!

You can get through this, just remember your fat carb ratios...

Liana - ok, I'm off my soap box now

Thanks for the advice! Based on myfitnesspal, how many grams of carbs and fat and protein do you typically consume a day? Do you watch that?
Old 04-21-2014, 03:13 PM   #25  

Quote:
Originally Posted by knm View Post
Thanks for the advice! Based on myfitnesspal, how many grams of carbs and fat and protein do you typically consume a day? Do you watch that?
Here's a day in my maintenance diary - just an example.

BREAKFAST Calories Carbs Fat Protein Fibre Sugar
Blue Diamond - Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk Updated, 8 oz 40 2 4 1 1 0
Craisins - Dried Cranberries, 1/6 of a cup 87 22 0 0 0 19
Nature's Path - Mesa Sunrise Gluten Free Cereal, 3/4 Cup 120 24 1 3 3 4
Raw Nuts - Filberts, 10 nuts (14 g) 88 2 9 2 1 1
Add Food Quick Tools 335 50 14 6 5 24

LUNCH
Clover Leaf Flaked Light Tuna (Cdn) - Dill & Lemon, 1 can (85 g) 140 2 7 18 0 0
Udi's Gluten Free Products (Canada - Millet-Chia Bread, 2 slices 150 24 5 6 5 3
Kraft Cracker Barrel - Baby Swiss Cheese, 2 oz 220 0 18 14 0 0
Generic - Bell Peppers-mixed (Yellow, Orange, Red), 0.66 cup 12 3 0 0 1 1
Bick's - Hamburger Slices Pickle (Garlic), 9 slices (30g) 3 1 0 0 0 0
Add Food Quick Tools 525 30 30 38 6 4

DINNER
Generic - Buffalo, Ground 90% Lean, 6 oz 285 0 17 30 0 0
Bragg - Liquid Aminos - All Purpose Seasoning From Soy Protein, 2 tsp (2.5ml) 0 4 0 12 0 0
Sambal Oelek - Ground Chilli Paste, 2 tsp 60 0 0 0 0 2
Squash - Zucchini, includes skin, raw, 0.5 medium 16 3 0 1 1 2
Generic - Egg Large- Hardboiled, 0.5 egg 39 0 3 3 0 0
Irene's - Cheese & Onion Bread - gluten free, 0.5 slice 60 9 3 3 3 2
Mushrooms - Raw, 1 cup, pieces or slices 15 2 0 2 1 1
Green Onion - Green Onion Raw (Whole), 1.5 medium (15 g) 8 2 0 0 1 0
Generic - Organic Pine Nuts, 2 tbls 97 2 8 4 1 0
Lundberg - Organic Roasted Brown Rice Couscous, 45 g (Dry) 150 35 2 3 3 1
Add Food Quick Tools 730 57 33 58 10 8

SNACKS
Quaker Oatmeal - Rice Cakes- Tomato and Basil, 1 Cake 50 9 2 1 0 1
Generic - Egg Large- Hardboiled, 1 egg 78 1 5 6 0 1
Fresh is Best - Salsa - Medium, 15 ml 5 1 0 0 0 1
Fresh is Best Salsa & Company - Guacamole, 15 ml 18 1 2 0 0 1
Vegetable - Celery Stalk 7 -8" Long (Kym), 1 stalk 6 1 0 0 1 1
Add Food Quick Tools 157 13 9 7 1 5

Totals 1,747 150 86 109 22 41
Your Daily Goal 1,739 218 58 87 27 66
Remaining -8 68 -28 -22 5 25

This line "remaining" at the bottom means that according to MFP I am over by 8 calories, short on my carbs by 68g, over on my fats by 28g, over on protein by 22g, short on fibre by 5g and sugars by 25g.
HOWEVER, if you look at the food I ate I didn't starve or deny myself. AND my carb:fat ratio for lunch was 1:1 (ie lower carb) and for supper it was close to 2:1 (ie: lower fat). I find it too difficult to do a 1:3 carb/fat ratio unless I am eating loads of high fat dairy or lots of avocado, mayo and EVOO. Things are working well for me for the "carb poor" meal at equal ratios or if I can, 1:2 carb/fat

I watch the carbs/fats and the rest is simply for my info only. Not judging what to eat by the other macros.
Liana
Old 04-21-2014, 03:41 PM   #26  

Here's today so far - you will notice my lower carb meal for lunch - planned because I have turkey breast out for dinner and fresh asparagus to accompany & maybe a baked potato with a fresh salsa to top (lower fat/higher carb)

BREAKFAST Calories Carbs Fat Protein Fiber Sugar
Danone (Canada) - Oikos 0% Greek Yogurt, Plain, 0.495 cup (175g) 66 5 0 11 0 3 
Yoplait - Source Cherry Yogurt 0%, 100 g 35 5 0 4 0 4 
Nature's Path - Mesa Sunrise Gluten Free Cereal, 0.495 Cup 79 16 1 2 2 3 
Strawberries - Raw Strawberries (Fresh) 100 g, 100 g 32 8 0 1 2 5 
Add Food Quick Tools
212 34 1 18 4 15

LUNCH
Cottage cheese - Lowfat, 2% milkfat, 1 cup (not packed) 203 8 4 31 0 1 
Irene's - Cheese & Onion Bread - gluten free, 1 slice 120 18 5 6 5 3 
Lettuce - Red leaf, raw, 1.5 cup shredded 7 1 0 1 0 0 
Mclarens - Manzanilla Olives Stuffed W/Pimento Paste, 7 Olives (15g) 15 0 2 0 0 0 
Nuts - Raw Walnuts, 0.25 cup shelled (50 halves - 100g) 164 4 16 4 2 1 
Brianna's - True Blue Cheese Dressing, 2 tbsp 120 5 11 1 0 4 
Nuts - Macadamia nuts, raw, 1 oz (10-12 kernels) 203 4 21 2 2 1 
Add Food Quick Tools
832 40 59 45 9 10

MIDMORNING SNACK
Fresh is Best Salsa & Company - Guacamole, 15 ml 18 1 2 0 0 1 
General - Fresh Cilantro, Chopped, 0.0625 cup 0 0 0 0 0 0 
Generic - Egg Large- Hardboiled, 1 egg 78 1 5 6 0 1 
Green Onion - Green Onion Raw (Whole), 0.2 medium (15 g) 1 0 0 0 0 0 
Add Food Quick Tools
97 2 7 6 0 2

Totals 1,141 76 67 69 13 27
Your Daily Goal 1,590 199 53 80 25 60
Remaining 449 123 -14 11 12 33

Calories Carbs Fat Protein Fiber Sugar

This leaves me a lot of carbs and a decent amount of calories and an easy to get amount of protein for dinner - I am going out for a power walk with a friend so there will be even more leeway for my afternoon snack & dinner. I will likely be over on calories just because of the higher fat lunch but no worries.

Liana
Old 04-21-2014, 05:29 PM   #27  
knm

Thanks so much for your menus canadjineh!
I am going to try and focus on watching my carbs again as opposed to calories and just try to keep my carbs down. That's what worked for me on IP and I figure I must be carb sensitive if I can gain that easily even though most days my calories are well below 1400.
I just need to remember to fill up on protein and veggies, rather than on all the processed, convenient food I sometimes stray to.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:16 PM   #28  

Quote:
Originally Posted by knm View Post
Thanks so much for your menus canadjineh!
I am going to try and focus on watching my carbs again as opposed to calories and just try to keep my carbs down. That's what worked for me on IP and I figure I must be carb sensitive if I can gain that easily even though most days my calories are well below 1400.
I just need to remember to fill up on protein and veggies, rather than on all the processed, convenient food I sometimes stray to.
That's the problem with processed, convenient food - they ALWAYS combine the higher carb with the higher fat - a recipe for cravings and fat storage, lol. But of course, they run a business and want to 'increase market share' which means that they want you to crave it and eat more... (insert scary sneaky laugh here ) For me it isn't just about keeping the carbs down since some days I have quite high carbs for a meal - eg below:

Dinner
Bragg - Liquid Aminos - All Purpose Seasoning From Soy Protein, 3 tsp (2.5ml) 0 6 0 18 0 0 
Saporito - Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 2 tsp (10 ml) 80 0 9 0 0 0 
Lundberg - Organic Roasted Brown Rice Couscous, 90 g (Dry) 300 70 3 6 6 2 
Mannn's - Sugar Snap Peas, 1 cup/85g 35 6 0 2 2 3 
Onions - Raw, 0.2 medium (2-1/2" dia) 9 2 0 0 0 1 
Generic - Bell Peppers-mixed (Yellow, Orange, Red), 0.6 cup 11 3 0 0 1 1
Green Onion - Green Onion Raw (Whole), 2 medium (15 g) 10 2 0 1 1 1 
Huy Fong Foods - Chili Garlic Sauce , 5 g (1 tsp) 0 0 0 0 0 0 
Vegetable - Celery Stalk 7 -8" Long (Kym), 2 stalk 12 2 0 1 1 1 
M'lord - Hearts of Palm, 3/4 tasse 105 15 2 6 3 0 
Generic - Egg Large- Hardboiled, 2 egg 156 1 11 13 0 1 
Add Food Quick Tools
718 107 25 47 14 10

This was a 'Fried Rice' for dinner - veg was stir fried, eggs were scrambled, then rice 'couscous' was mixed in & fried in the non-stick pan - topped with Braggs (like soy sauce but gluten free) and Sriracha or chili garlic sauce. You'll notice the fat content was pretty low in comparison though.

Liana
Old 04-22-2014, 12:01 PM   #29  
knm

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadjineh View Post
That's the problem with processed, convenient food - they ALWAYS combine the higher carb with the higher fat - a recipe for cravings and fat storage, lol. But of course, they run a business and want to 'increase market share' which means that they want you to crave it and eat more... (insert scary sneaky laugh here ) For me it isn't just about keeping the carbs down since some days I have quite high carbs for a meal - eg below:

Dinner
Bragg - Liquid Aminos - All Purpose Seasoning From Soy Protein, 3 tsp (2.5ml) 0 6 0 18 0 0 
Saporito - Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 2 tsp (10 ml) 80 0 9 0 0 0 
Lundberg - Organic Roasted Brown Rice Couscous, 90 g (Dry) 300 70 3 6 6 2 
Mannn's - Sugar Snap Peas, 1 cup/85g 35 6 0 2 2 3 
Onions - Raw, 0.2 medium (2-1/2" dia) 9 2 0 0 0 1 
Generic - Bell Peppers-mixed (Yellow, Orange, Red), 0.6 cup 11 3 0 0 1 1
Green Onion - Green Onion Raw (Whole), 2 medium (15 g) 10 2 0 1 1 1 
Huy Fong Foods - Chili Garlic Sauce , 5 g (1 tsp) 0 0 0 0 0 0 
Vegetable - Celery Stalk 7 -8" Long (Kym), 2 stalk 12 2 0 1 1 1 
M'lord - Hearts of Palm, 3/4 tasse 105 15 2 6 3 0 
Generic - Egg Large- Hardboiled, 2 egg 156 1 11 13 0 1 
Add Food Quick Tools
718 107 25 47 14 10

This was a 'Fried Rice' for dinner - veg was stir fried, eggs were scrambled, then rice 'couscous' was mixed in & fried in the non-stick pan - topped with Braggs (like soy sauce but gluten free) and Sriracha or chili garlic sauce. You'll notice the fat content was pretty low in comparison though.

Liana
You're exactly right, processed food is a recipe for disaster. I have a switch that flicks SO fast from having zero cravings to going hog wild.

I just need to focus on prepping healthy food ahead of time so I have no excuse to grab the convenient food that leads to those cravings.
I've got lots of fresh veggies at home after yesterday's grocery trip, so that should help!

I had a decent day yesterday, not IP approved but healthy and got in 120 oz of water, so feeling much better today. The scale didn't move, but it usually takes the scale two days to catch up with whatever I've eaten, plus with working out I need to remember to focus on the measuring tape vs the scale.

Hope everyone else is having a great, healthy day! Thanks for the pep talks and encouragement yesterday, I guess it was just one of those days... and didn't help that it was a Monday!
Old 04-22-2014, 03:11 PM   #30  

knm...glad to hear you are feeling better today. I too seem to have "those days" on Mondays...wonder about the correlation.

Don't know if I mentioned this last week but I had a cold from H$LL on top of an ear infection. I have no skin under my nose from blowing so much. Finally on the mend and back on phase 1 for a couple days.

Was at 135lbs this morning which is top of goal (130 I feel best at). I am a week away from TOM and probably still retaining water like a camel from this darn cold. I figure I will do a week of really "clean" eating. Get to feeling energized and cleaned out a bit. I didn't really eat bad while sick...just had store bought chicken noodle packed with sodium...but I was in no shape to cook. Anyways, I hope you all are well. It's 82 degrees here in the mile high city and beautiful out. Plan on taking my doggies out for a long walk tonight.
Closed Thread