Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 01:32 PM   #256  
Started IP 4/27/14

S/C/G: 195/170/160

Height: 5'9

So here is a question for the group...I have spent countless hours searching threads and going thru peoples posts, but I can't waste any more time trying to find this information... when you are in cycling out thru phase 2 and 3 are you supposed to continue taking all the vitamins? What about on Phase 4...when you are in maintenance? Are you supposed to go back to your regular multi vitamins? Just trying to figure out what I need to buy more of. I am starting phase 2 this Thursday!
Old 06-10-2014, 01:35 PM   #257  
Started IP August 14 2013

S/C/G: 216.5/153/155

Height: 5'7"

Default Hi!

Good afternoon: It has been ages since I have been able to check in and I feel like I must have missed so much. I'm going to do some reading over the next few days to catch up. Hope you are all doing well.

I'm here and still maintaining. I've had a couple of weekends with travel and special events that seem to take me up a pound of two but have been able to have my P1 day or two and get that back under control. I have a weigh-in on Saturday -- my first in about a month or more.

Things have been hectic because I am planning a move... from DC back NYC. So i've been getting work in order, looking for an apartment, calling movers... and everything that goes along with that insanity. Move will be mid to late July. I'm excited but... a little overwhelmed right now.

Happy Tuesday!
Old 06-10-2014, 01:42 PM   #258  

Quote:
Originally Posted by drd1961 View Post
I think the image thing is the hardest thing. I am pulling on size 6 and sometimes size 4 pants, but I still feel somedays that they look like the 12's and 14's I was wearing. Maybe I should have kept one pair. Maintenance is a teeter totter. If you totter too high, you reign in what you are doing to bring it back down. I have some big challenges ahead, I really want to make this work!
drd: I do the same with not really realizing the loss. I was trying to explain it to a friend this weekend and she looked at me like I was a loon. Maybe even a little angrily as she's trying to get motivated to start her own weight loss (though doesn't have what I'd call significant weight to lose). I look in the mirror and see... fat arms, not skinny... it's insane when I think about what I must have been seeing/thinking 60 pounds ago? or maybe I'd given up thinking about it then?

I'm just trying to reframe my thoughts when those creep in... i'm healthy, i'm (mostly) happy with my shape (I may need to tone up a bit) and i'm comfortable, most of the time, that I can control my eating and not the other way around.

You'll make this work. You will.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:50 PM   #259  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Again and again, I just can't believe how far I let myself go
Thank goodness a friend lost weight on IP and I got jealous!
Some people like swimming, others running, I love biking (indoors or out). That and the stretching and strengthening of Yoga. I'm also doing a daily program from PBS called Classical Stretch. ... And I joined a 30 day abs challenge on Facebook. It sure feels good to feel good again!
Wow Lisa, just like with IP, when you go in, you go all in. Your exercise is inspiring. I want to work up to spinning. I've just been walking - though doing it more and more consistently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii69 View Post
...I wholeheartedly agree about exercise. I am currently running, doing weights twice a week and using the elliptical. My goal is to do something active 5-6 times a week. I want to do some zumba classes one day and try spinning. Spinning sounds fun.
Way to go Hawaii - I'm going to have to take some motivation from you and Lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by joysh View Post
...Well, this morning I saw my goal weight on the scale for the first time in a while. It's been a long haul to get those 10 pounds off, but I did it! I want to go down another 5 to get back where I was at this time last year. But the summer clothes are now fitting (almost all of them) and I'm feeling much better.
Congrats Joysh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maile View Post
...I think years of feeling like you look fat,when you really were fat, can trigger those image problems. I can feel like I am fat when the scale is up at my top end. this is only a 3 pound gain, but psychologically I think I tip into a feeling fat again day. However, the good thing is that I do not have negative thoughts that I have done something wrong. Nor do I panick anymore. I do one of three things:
I choose an outfit that I really like..or two I choose one of my looser pants or 3 I choose my tightest stretchy pants and tell myself that I need to keep fitting them. Then I look in the mirror and reassure myself I am not fat.
This emotional reaction is getting better and I usually bounce back and am happy for the rest of the day.
I like these ideas Maile... brings us back to reality!

RuthAnn your new avatar... whoa! You look awesome. I almost didn't recognize you! Congrats!
Old 06-10-2014, 09:03 PM   #260  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleyo17 View Post
So here is a question for the group...I have spent countless hours searching threads and going thru peoples posts, but I can't waste any more time trying to find this information... when you are in cycling out thru phase 2 and 3 are you supposed to continue taking all the vitamins? What about on Phase 4...when you are in maintenance? Are you supposed to go back to your regular multi vitamins? Just trying to figure out what I need to buy more of. I am starting phase 2 this Thursday!
I kept up with all the supplements through P3. Then when I started maintenance I cut down to 1 multi a day and dropped the magnesium down to about 1/3 - found if I kept up the larger dose it gave me diarrhea. I also cut down the amount of calcium I was taking. I have a chronic Vitamin D deficiency so I also take that plus Vitamin C. I call it my "supplement salad."

Quote:
Originally Posted by vachinyc View Post
Good afternoon: It has been ages since I have been able to check in and I feel like I must have missed so much. I'm going to do some reading over the next few days to catch up. Hope you are all doing well.

I'm here and still maintaining. I've had a couple of weekends with travel and special events that seem to take me up a pound of two but have been able to have my P1 day or two and get that back under control. I have a weigh-in on Saturday -- my first in about a month or more.

Things have been hectic because I am planning a move... from DC back NYC. So i've been getting work in order, looking for an apartment, calling movers... and everything that goes along with that insanity. Move will be mid to late July. I'm excited but... a little overwhelmed right now.

Happy Tuesday!
So good to hear from you! And so glad maintenance is going well for you. Moving is so stressful but I'll bet you have it all under control!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vachinyc View Post
RuthAnn your new avatar... whoa! You look awesome. I almost didn't recognize you! Congrats!
Thank you! I can hardly believe it's me sometimes. I have to do a double take. Saw some friends I hadn't seen in a year a couple of weeks ago and they walked right by me, didn't recognize me. That actually tickled me for days!
Old 06-10-2014, 10:04 PM   #261  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

I also have a supplement salad, Ruth Ann! I have always taken supplements for different reasons, but in maintenance I changed the dosages for my more 'normal' eating habits now. The new suggested dosages of Vit D mean that I have added a teeny pill to my usual SuperMulti. I don't take any extra magnesium either - just what's in my cal-mag in the evening before bed.

Liana
Old 06-11-2014, 11:17 AM   #262  
Started IP 04/22/2013

Saw my coach today - still sitting right on 135 so that made me happy. What made me even happier is in the last two weeks I've lost another inch off my waist and 2 inches off my hips! Never thought I could get below 30" on my waist but am now at 29". I guess the exercise is paying off.

Craziness abounds right now - moving offices at the end of the month. Been in the same office for 20 years - lots to sort and get rid of in preparation. Means I'm working 10-12 hours 6 days a week right now because, of course, the regular work doesn't go away just because I have other things to do. I will be so glad when this month is over.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:20 AM   #263  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

Ruthann, That is great that you have lost inches. Your exercise is paying off. Moving can be stressful and tedious. You will have lots to do with moving 20 years of office materials.
Liana: I also have a supplemental salad. I have that tiny vitamin d pill added as well.

Vacnhinyc: It was good to hear from you. It sounds like your maintenance is going well. Good luck with that move from Dc to Nyc. You are going to be busy. Moving overwhelming!

Shelley: I have switched to Usanna vitamins as ordered by my preventative doctor. I take a variety of them.

Here are some good points on resiliency.

Building your resiliency muscle.

If you are thinking resiliency is an innate strength of a lucky few, the good news is you can definitely strengthen your resiliency muscle. Here's how to become more resilient in the journey of weight loss—and in life.

6 Keys to Resiliency
1. Accept and face difficult situations head on. Anticipate in advance that challenging situations will arise all the time. Almost every week is marked with a birthday party, unhealthy temptations or busy workdays at home or the office. Be proactive rather than reactive, and plan how you will handle the challenge. Learn more about developing a Plan B to stick to your goals.

2. Believe in your own inner strengths. Take time to remind yourself of past successes in other challenging areas of your life. Identify the strengths you used then, and apply those strengths to your weight loss journey. This is a good exercise to try in the beginning of your journey. Write down those successes in a blog post or a journal. When you start doubting yourself, return to them for motivation.

3. Reframe your thinking. Tell yourself that setbacks are temporary, not permanent. Focus on what is still working, rather than the area where you lapsed. Remind yourself of all the things you did well before that small setback, then celebrate the next thing you did well, like getting up for your morning workout the next day rather than beating yourself up over the thing you did wrong.

4. Talk back to your inner critic. Despite a difficult week, it doesn't mean you are a failure, you'll never lose weight, or all is lost. It only means you had a difficult week, and you have the opportunity to do better in the upcoming one.

5. Try to learn from your setbacks. Mistakes and slip-ups aren't failures; they are learning experiences. Gather data to help you move forward in the future and avoid a similar issue. Treat them as learning opportunities.

6. Find a cheerleader. Children who grow up to be resilient and highly successful adults report there was one person in their life who never stopped believing in them. Brooks refers to these individuals as "charismatic adults." When it comes to weight loss, having just one supportive, significant person in your life is essential. Whether it's a coach, your trainer, spouse or best friend—even your mom—hearing from, remembering, and receiving encouragement from someone who believes in you will help you achieve your goals and strengthen your resiliency muscle.

"Weight loss is never a straight path. Seldom, if ever, do you hear about an individual who makes the decision to lose weight and does so without ever having setbacks. You might lose three pounds one week, and be up one the next. You do a fantastic job sticking to a healthy diet throughout the holiday season, and then lose your job and start the new year soothing yourself daily with ice cream and cake. You were exercising consistently five times a week, and then realize you haven't been to the gym in months because you're overwhelmed taking care of a sick parent.

When you make a decision to try again, to get back on track after a setback or even start over, that's resiliency! You proclaim and you believe, "I've done it before and I can do it again!"

Last edited by Maile; 06-12-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:11 PM   #264  

Inspiring positive post! Thanks Maile!
Old 06-13-2014, 09:27 AM   #265  
Maile

I think being proactive is a key to success. Planning ahead as much as possible. I also liked focusing on past successes and what is currently working..and learning from setbacks.

I am on day 2 of my mini boot camp before my trip on Tuesday. So far so good.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:34 AM   #266  

Kick butt at boot camp Maile, and have a great time on your trip!
Old 06-13-2014, 06:04 PM   #267  
Started IP 4/27/14

S/C/G: 195/170/160

Height: 5'9

Thank you all for the help/suggestions for vitamins. I am now on Phase 2...in two weeks Phase 3! So excited for this journey and continued success!
Old 06-14-2014, 08:08 AM   #268  
Started IP 04/22/2013

Thank you Maile for that great post - I love the part about using slip ups and not so great days as learning experiences rather than seeing them as failures. I'm trying to keep my mind thinking "okay, that didn't work, so now I know and can do something different next time."

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleyo17 View Post
Thank you all for the help/suggestions for vitamins. I am now on Phase 2...in two weeks Phase 3! So excited for this journey and continued success!
Congrats shellyo! You will do great! It's so exciting to start a new leg of the journey.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:15 AM   #269  
Maile

Yes, I like that idea too..slips ups are learning experiences. i also like to say I have done it before and I can do it again. Many times people who support maintainers, say, you know what to do.

Shellyo: It is exciting to finally reach Phase 2 and to be heading to P3 and P4 and maintenance. I am happy for you!

Canadinjeh: Day 4 of boot camp..at goal weight and want a few below it!
Old 06-15-2014, 04:17 PM   #270  
Start IP 08/11 at 213

S/C/G: restart 173/152/150

Height: 5'7" & shrinking 70 years old!

Yes, thank you Maile for such a wonderful post! It is very encouraging to see that you have maintained for so long - you are an inspiration! Maintenance has been difficult 2x for me, now - I am close to goal again & am relieved to hear some practical words from your own success.
It is grand to see & hear so many of you doing so well.

From being a pretty inactive person all my life, I started run/walking a little over a year ago. I can't believe the difference that has made in my life. Having difficulty running was a great motivator in getting me back to weight loss. It's never too late - I did my first 5K 2 weeks before my 69th birthday - now 70 & still going! Gotta love those endorphins.
Closed Thread