Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 06:27 PM   #226  

S/C/G: 190/137.5/140

Height: 5-4

I think the image thing is the hardest thing. I am pulling on size 6 and sometimes size 4 pants, but I still feel somedays that they look like the 12's and 14's I was wearing. Maybe I should have kept one pair. Maintenance is a teeter totter. If you totter too high, you reign in what you are doing to bring it back down. I have some big challenges ahead, I really want to make this work!
Old 06-05-2014, 09:21 AM   #227  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

drd1961: I know you can make this work. This is the first time I have kept my weight off for more than two years. Planning ahead for those big challenges coming up might help. There are definitely those days when you still don't believe that you are fitting size 6!

ecdslim: That is great that you have kept your maintenance goals since January. You are on your way to the one year mark! Sugar can be a strong temptation. at least you stopped at 3.

Hawaii69: I always like the comment that returning to old habits produces old results. I do not want those old results of weight again. Your two months of maintenance is going well and you are finding your own tools to maintain.,

I have been entertaining my son and friends for three days. It is time to cut back and eat low low carb!

Last edited by Maile; 06-05-2014 at 09:24 AM.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:49 PM   #228  

Happy throwback Thursday. I have been doing some reflecting today. And what I realized is that two summers ago I started on this journey to lose weight.

First, I took off 90 pounds in about 10 months. Then I started working on getting stronger and getting rid of my back pain. The past year has been about maintaining and increasing strength (and trying not to be frustrated about my thyroid)

For the next leg of my journey I plan to focus on fitness. Today I went to a beginners spinning class. I am far from a beginner, but it has been a long time since I've been to a spinning class.

A year ago my back could not handle 15 minutes on the spinning bike (for that matter, I couldn't in November, either). I couldn't do planks because they hurt my back.

Today I did a 45-minute spinning class. I am also participating in a 30 day abs challenge to increase core strength more (working toward 90-second planks at the moment). What I learned today in spinning class was that on my continued journey I also need to work on rebuilding endurance.

I am now strong enough and without pain enough to be able to do these things. If losing the remainder of my weight is going to stay a challenge for right now, then I can focus on my fitness. It will help me to continue to be healthier and healthier and slow the aging process. It will also give me another positive focus, much like losing weight has been a positive focus for me . And who knows? It might even help reduce my weight a little bit.

Last edited by lisa32989; 06-05-2014 at 02:53 PM.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:13 PM   #229  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

AWESOME reflections Lisa!

Wishing you continued successes on all your journeys!
Old 06-05-2014, 09:38 PM   #230  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Isn't it amazing Lisa how much different we feel? I'm working on fitness now and it's going so slow but, just like with losing the weight, I have to remember I didn't get into this shape overnight and I'm not going to get to the level I want to be instantly.

My physical therapist thinks I'm doing great and I certainly feel better - I stand up straighter and the really painful days are getting further and further apart Still have some very rough days and by the end of the day I'm still not in great shape but it's getting better. I'm walking a mile a day and increasing it as I can, doing some work with light weights, stretches, core work, and upper body work. Can't believe the difference it makes in how I feel.

Looking forward to the day I can be done with PT and into some fun classes - but right now I still need adult supervision!
Old 06-06-2014, 08:11 AM   #231  
Maile

Ruthann. You are making good progress with that PT. I am glad your pain is getting less and farther apart.

Lisa: That was an inspirational reflection. You have made amazing progress. I have heard that the spinning class is a hard one, but is very good. I also found that exercise was another positive focus in my life.

Last day of students. Hooray.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:15 AM   #232  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Thanks Maile! Good luck on the last day of students and then go do something nice for yourself!
Old 06-06-2014, 11:00 AM   #233  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Ann View Post
Isn't it amazing Lisa how much different we feel? I'm working on fitness now and it's going so slow but, just like with losing the weight, I have to remember I didn't get into this shape overnight and I'm not going to get to the level I want to be instantly.

My physical therapist thinks I'm doing great and I certainly feel better - I stand up straighter and the really painful days are getting further and further apart Still have some very rough days and by the end of the day I'm still not in great shape but it's getting better. I'm walking a mile a day and increasing it as I can, doing some work with light weights, stretches, core work, and upper body work. Can't believe the difference it makes in how I feel.

Looking forward to the day I can be done with PT and into some fun classes - but right now I still need adult supervision!
I view my past year as strength building, both muscle strength and emotional strength -over food & overeating!
Now that I've built some strength, it is time for me to ramp up fitness & endurance.
Again and again, I just can't believe how far I let myself go
Thank goodness a friend lost weight on IP and I got jealous!

So, after my spin class yesterday, the endorphins were kicked up all day! I had to take a lavendar bath with epsom salts to calm down so I could sleep.

Now I remember why I loved spin class so much. Some people like swimming, others running, I love biking (indoors or out). That and the stretching and strengthening of Yoga. I'm also doing a daily program from PBS called Classical Stretch. It also works on stretch and strength, but in a different manner than yoga. And I joined a 30 day abs challenge on Facebook. It sure feels good to feel good again! What a mood lifter the harder exercise is! So glad I did all the "prerequisite" (for me) Physical Therapy. I remember when I felt like I'd never feel good again.

Last edited by lisa32989; 06-06-2014 at 11:05 AM.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:21 PM   #234  

S/C/G: 193/162/162

Height: 5' 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post

Now I remember why I loved spin class so much. Some people like swimming, others running, I love biking (indoors or out). That and the stretching and strengthening of Yoga. I'm also doing a daily program from PBS called Classical Stretch. It also works on stretch and strength, but in a different manner than yoga. And I joined a 30 day abs challenge on Facebook. It sure feels good to feel good again! What a mood lifter the harder exercise is! So glad I did all the "prerequisite" (for me) Physical Therapy. I remember when I felt like I'd never feel good again.
Sounds great Lisa! I wholeheartedly agree about exercise. I am currently running, doing weights twice a week and using the elliptical. My goal is to do something active 5-6 times a week. I want to do some zumba classes one day and try spinning. Spinning sounds fun.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:30 AM   #235  
Started IP 6/14/12

S/C/G: 202.8/165/135

Height: 5'1"

Hi All!

Well, this morning I saw my goal weight on the scale for the first time in a while. It's been a long haul to get those 10 pounds off, but I did it! I want to go down another 5 to get back where I was at this time last year. But the summer clothes are now fitting (almost all of them) and I'm feeling much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drd1961 View Post
I think the image thing is the hardest thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maile View Post
This is the first time I have kept my weight off for more than two years. There are definitely those days when you still don't believe that you are fitting size 6!
drd and Maile: So true about the image we have of ourselves. Yesterday was our last day of music camp for kids and I saw myself in the photo and thought I looked fat. I had to email the photo to my sister and have her tell me that I do not look fat in order to believe it! I put on my size 6 pants, but I feel like they look like size 12.

Maile: Congrats on the end of school! While my final grades were turned in second week of May, I kept working to get the music camp off the ground. We just completed that week and it was a great success, so now I finally feel like I can really relax and decompress. Hooray! Enjoy your break!

Lisa32989, spinning sounds fun! It's exciting that you are getting fit! I will begin my summer swimming soon. Looking forward to that feeling!

Ruth Ann: How wonderful that your pain is lessening! A mile each day! I'm impressed!

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone!
Old 06-07-2014, 11:16 AM   #236  

Congrads Joysh! Good for you! Maintenance is including a lot of challenges but I am learning, by trial and error. And I had one of those feeling 'fat' days yesterday as I was clothes shopping. I kept telling myself that a year ago, I was not even close to putting on these sizes but I still seen someone that same size. And I almost panicked, like, maybe I need to lose 10 more lbs! But, I am trying to be realistic with myself, I am healthier, am exercising regularly and this weight is one that I can maintain easier. I'm figuring out what works. Its so great to read that how I'm feeling some days is similiar to others!
Old 06-07-2014, 11:42 AM   #237  

S/C/G: 266/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joysh View Post
Hi All!

Well, this morning I saw my goal weight on the scale for the first time in a while. It's been a long haul to get those 10 pounds off, but I did it! I want to go down another 5 to get back where I was at this time last year. But the summer clothes are now fitting (almost all of them) and I'm feeling much better.

drd and Maile: So true about the image we have of ourselves. Yesterday was our last day of music camp for kids and I saw myself in the photo and thought I looked fat. I had to email the photo to my sister and have her tell me that I do not look fat in order to believe it! I put on my size 6 pants, but I feel like they look like size 12.

Maile: Congrats on the end of school! While my final grades were turned in second week of May, I kept working to get the music camp off the ground. We just completed that week and it was a great success, so now I finally feel like I can really relax and decompress. Hooray! Enjoy your break!

Lisa32989, spinning sounds fun! It's exciting that you are getting fit! I will begin my summer swimming soon. Looking forward to that feeling!

Ruth Ann: How wonderful that your pain is lessening! A mile each day! I'm impressed!

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone!
Joy I just checked out your pictures and you look amazing!! What an inspiration!! Go you!!!!!
Old 06-07-2014, 03:46 PM   #238  
Maile

Joysh,Hawaii69, I think years of feeling like you look fat,when you really were fat, can trigger those image problems. I can feel like I am fat when the scale is up at my top end. this is only a 3 pound gain, but psychologically I think I tip into a feeling fat again day. However, the good thing is that I do not have negative thoughts that I have done something wrong. Nor do I panick anymore. I do one of three things:
I choose an outfit that I really like..or two I choose one of my looser pants or 3 I choose my tightest stretchy pants and tell myself that I need to keep fitting them. Then I look in the mirror and reassure myself I am not fat.
This emotional reaction is getting better and I usually bounce back and am happy for the rest of the day.

Joysh:It was interesting that you mentioned contacting your sister. I was telling my sister that I thought her yoga teacher daughter looked really thin, and she commented..would you be surprised to know that is how I see you?
Great job on reaching goal. I am glad your music camp went well and you are finally on vacation.

Hawaii69: clothes shopping can be stressful. You are doing so well in figuring out what works for you in maintenance! I try to exercise 6-7 days a week.

Lisa: Your exercise is impressive..Wow. That is inspiring.All of your work is paying off and you do feel better.

Ruthann: I hope you are doing well. I have two days more of finishing up with no students. Right now I am adjusting to going from 1 kids living in my house to 4.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:01 PM   #239  

Thanks Maile! Your words of wisdom and encouragement are much appreciated! And it is positive thoughts like these that have helped me to continue on this journey and to work at staying healthy.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:54 PM   #240  
Started IP 2/13/13

S/C/G: 248/123/123

Height: 5'2"

I just want to thank you all for everything that you share here and on the other threads as well. I began phase 3 today and, with that, I wanted to tie in regular exercise, too. I just finished up a good walk and logged in here and found such a wonderfully inspiring conversation going on about fitness and strength and health. What wonderful nourishment.

Joysh -- Congrats! I'd say size 6 is looking very good on you! Well done.

All you P/T and regular exercise gals are very inspiring & motivating. My hat's off to you . . . I'm watching and learning.
Closed Thread