Old 04-05-2014, 07:47 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 321.2/250.6/199

Height: 5'8"

Default Vacationing and IP

I'm in my first month on IP (doing it on my own with alternatives; have been 100% since starting).

In July, my husband and I will be going on vacation to Jamaica for our anniversary and staying an an All-Inclusive resort. I am determined to make this change for myself but I'm not sure how to go about handling vacation. I really love vacation and even more than the food (which I have always enjoyed), I REALLY love the fun, icy tropical drinks. I can go months without a drink of alcohol when at home, but I basically love to have a cocktail in my hand pretty much all the time when on a beach.

I'm okay with going out of ketosis while on vacation, knowing that I will have set myself back by doing so, but I don't want to completely derail myself. I'm doing this whole lifestyle change thing so I can go places like the beach and not feel so bad about myself.

How do others handle vacationing when still on Phase 1?
Mulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:55 PM   #2  
Started IP May 17, 2013

S/C/G: 287/179/150

Height: 5'7.5"

travelling with IP, some very valuable threads:

Travelling on IP - lessons learned by a road warrior

MAKE your OWN Ideal Protein Travel Survival Kit Bag!!
Annik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:04 PM   #3  

Thanks for that. I've read through the first thread previously and really like the idea of the IP bag. I was hoping for some been there, done that experiences with All Inclusive resorts, to add to those.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:22 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulse View Post
Thanks for that. I've read through the first thread previously and really like the idea of the IP bag. I was hoping for some been there, done that experiences with All Inclusive resorts, to add to those.
In May and June I will be spending about 3 weeks at 2 different all inclusives in the caribbean. Although I'm on maintenance now.. I know that the alcohol could do serious damage if I let it, so I'm consciously planning what when and how much I'll be imbibing. There are a lot of ideas on the internet for no carb no cal drinks, and there are some mio/stevia sweetened type flavorings that can be added to seltzer or club soda. Tropical fruit..passion fruit and cocoanut flavorings all will pack nicely...and I plan to carry an assortment with me in my beach bag. No desire to drink the fruity punch etc...with or with out alcohol... And I will be discriminating with the wine/champaign before and at dinner...and just because I get a glass does not mean I'll necessarily be drinking it. The all inclusives really make a p 2 lunch and dinner easy....fresh fish and grilled meats are in abundance. Others have made the decision to go off when they vacation...the price can be pretty steep so think long and hard about what is most important to you. Now that I'm at goal...not wrecking things is very important to me. I know I could go free and easy...but the truth is..I want to NOT have to undo the trip for the rest of the summer...or even into the fall. Not worth it to me. And truly key....no one else will care if I drink or not...and they sure won't be the ones to have to watch it for the rest of the summer...I'll own that one if I get too far off track.

Last edited by 65X65; 04-05-2014 at 08:24 PM.
65X65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:59 PM   #5  
Started IP May 17, 2013

65x65 ... you are always so wise! Well said.

Everytime I have gone on vacation since being on ip (which has been several times now), i have stayed op. Although there may be momentary episodes of deprivation, i can say that the feeling of having stayed true to myself that i bring home from a clean holiday is worth so much more than any momentary pleasure some food/drink would have given me.

Reality is I want to stay in remission from chronic obesity. That means a lot to me.

Last edited by Annik; 04-05-2014 at 09:02 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:31 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annik View Post
65x65 ... you are always so wise! Well said.

Everytime I have gone on vacation since being on ip (which has been several times now), i have stayed op. Although there may be momentary episodes of deprivation, i can say that the feeling of having stayed true to myself that i bring home from a clean holiday is worth so much more than any momentary pleasure some food/drink would have given me.

Reality is I want to stay in remission from chronic obesity. That means a lot to me.
Thx Annik-- even being at goal does NOT mean this is over for me. I am a seasoned traveler...but know the atmosphere of all inclusive makes some people crazy. Just because patrons don't have to "pay $$ for a drink or food in the hand.. Doesn't mean all you can eat and drink is "free". The price of staying on IP longer, or needing a reboot should be considered. And then there are the experienced tales we read from the most honest folks..that getting back on the wagon is not that easy. For my $$$..instead I plan to eat a lot of fresh seafood and steak... !!!! and have egg white omelets made to order every AM. And the coffee... I know it's to die for at one of the resort we are going to. (Been there with my sisters before) I'm taking the lowest fat almond milk in individual cartons that does not need refrig.and some vanilla powdered protein drinks for iced lattes too. Rather an extra protein serving than sugar in the afternoon! I challenge everyone going to an AI this summer to encourage each other to take advantage of the things they can do that are SO IP compliant and are also FREE!!!! There is usually a gym..water aerobics , AM stretching and yoga...for free. Water sports..kayaks and tubing at some places...and volleyball....get the picture? It's not all about the food and drink.....
Old 04-06-2014, 12:15 AM   #7  

My plan has been to stay on plan as much as I can during the day (omelette for breakfast; salad for lunch) and then enjoy my dinners. I can some seafood, but have an allergy to shellfish so that can limit dinners at times.

I have always been active while at an all inclusive resort. I participate in daily water aerobics and my husband and I take advantage of the water sports (kayaks, pool volleyball, etc.) so I don't expect that to be that different.

At the risk of sounding like a lush, it really is the drinks that I would miss the most. I don't drink much in my day to day life but really do enjoy the beachy cocktails while on vacation.

I plan to own all of my actions. Fertility is my driving motivator, so I don't expect it to be very difficult to get back on plan once I am home because I am getting ready for a procedure in the next year which requires a certain weight loss. Who knows? Maybe in 3 more months, I'll have made so much progress that I won't want to go off plan for any reason.

I really appreciate the responses.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:27 AM   #8  
Started IP May 17, 2013

Mules,

Playing devil's advocate...

I encourage you to think about sticking to plan. Sparkling water with some lemon or lime with stevia can be dressed up to be a beachy cocktail. You will feel so good for having stuck to plan.

Some people literally cannot 'go off' their diets while on vacation: celiacs, diabetics, alcoholics, allergy sufferers... and their vacations are not 'less' fun for it.

Our society puts too much stock in food and booze. What if you considered being in solidarity with those who truly 'cannot.'

As an aside, I think one of the shifts that has happened for me and which has led to my success this time at weight loss (I am in my 50's and have tried to lose weight with limited success in the past...troubles both losing and maintaining) is that I now view myself as one of those who truly 'cannot'.

I look at myself as having a chronic condition. It's called obesity. I am currently in remission. For as long as as I see 'permissions' to go off my plan, I am going to have to keep really struggling like I have in the past.

Sticking to plan has become a non-negotiable.

And you know what? I am still having fun...in fact even more of it. Drawing a line in the sand has helped build my self-esteem and confidence.

Say that you'll 'own it' as much as you want. The reality is you WILL own it and the frustrations, rationalizations that come with continuing to be obese.

When one sees reasons to go off plan, there will always be reasons -- many of them-- to go off plan. And many reasons why success at weight loss will be elusive.

Momentary pleasure v long term success? Giving way to Rationalization of instant pleasure of non-nutritious food ... Go down this path and there will always be reasons to go down this path...which means 'so much success' is going to be nothing more than words to talk about.

Devil's advocate...

Annik

Last edited by Annik; 04-06-2014 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:59 AM   #9  
IP Feb 2014, P4 Oct 15/14

S/C/G: 249/155/160

Height: 5'4"

The last time I was on a weight loss program, my husband and I went on a cruise. I started out great, proper breakfast, only going into the healthy buffet at lunch, no bread at dinner but by the end I fell apart. Coming home I felt too far gone to bounce right back. Those few pounds returned are so much heavier.

Bring along IP peach mango, piņa colada, etc. for the fruity. Giving up your past history of a drink in your hand at all times is no different than all the day to day habits you have had to give up at home to stay on plan.

All that being said, if you know you want to partake in everything, it is important, from what I have read, that you phase off properly as it is less of a shock to your system.
ChipnDip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:10 AM   #10  
maintaining since 9/2013

In case you haven't yet heard this....if you decide to have alcohol, proceed carefully. I don't understand the physiology of the phenomenon, but on IP, the liver is slower than your baseline in processing alcohol. You will probably feel its effects more quickly and intensely than you expect. Suggestion is not to drink on an empty stomach, at least until you know how it affects you. I know 2 people who literally passed out after a glass of wine.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:13 AM   #11  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
As an aside, I think one of the shifts that has happened for me and which has led to my success this time at weight loss (I am in my 50's and have tried to lose weight with limited success in the past...troubles both losing and maintaining) is that I now view myself as one of those who truly 'cannot'.

I look at myself as having a chronic condition. It's called obesity. I am currently in remission. For as long as as I see 'permissions' to go off my plan, I am going to gave to keep really struggling like I have in the past.

Sticking to plan has beacon a non-negotiable.

And you know what? I am still having fun...in fact even more of it. Drawing a line in the sand has helped build my self-esteem and confidence.

Say that you'll 'own it' as much as you want. The reality is you WILL own it and the frustrations, rationalizations that come with continuing to be obese.

When on sees reasons to go off plan, there will always be reasons -- many of them-- to go off plan. And many reasons why success at weight loss will be elusive.

Momentary pleasure v long term success? Giving way to Rationalization of instant pleasure of non-nutritious food ... Go down this path and there will always be reasons to go down this path...which means 'so much success' is going to be nothing more than words to talk about.

Devil's advocate...

Annik
I am going to read these words again and again!

Last edited by mars735; 04-06-2014 at 09:14 AM.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:56 AM   #12  

Thank you for your opinions. It's definitely given me some food for thought.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:11 PM   #13  

Quote:
Mules,

Playing devil's advocate...

I encourage you to think about sticking to plan. Sparkling water with some lemon or lime with stevia can be dressed up to be a beachy cocktail. You will feel so good for having stuck to plan.

Some people literally cannot 'go off' their diets while on vacation: celiacs, diabetics, alcoholics, allergy sufferers... and their vacations are not 'less' fun for it.

Our society puts too much stock in food and booze. What if you considered being in solidarity with those who truly 'cannot.'

I look at myself as having a chronic condition. It's called obesity. I am currently in remission. For as long as as I see 'permissions' to go off my plan, I am going to have to keep really struggling like I have in the past.

Sticking to plan has become a non-negotiable.

When one sees reasons to go off plan, there will always be reasons -- many of them-- to go off plan. And many reasons why success at weight loss will be elusive.

Devil's advocate...

Annik
Ditto...I'm sure we'd be really good friends if you lived near me...