Old 02-23-2012, 07:57 PM   #1  

Default Ideal protein issues?

Just ended week 2. Down 16 pounds. I've had muscle soreness ever since day 5. It isn't because I'm suffering from dehydration -- I drink at least 4 liters of water per day. My coach said to take an extra potassium calcium pill every other day. This isn't helping. In fact, my muscles are so sore now that it hurts to raise my arms. I'm also experiencing an irregular cycle. My physician is incredibly concerned and ordered blood work for me. Has anyone else had my symptoms? How long does it take for the symptoms to pass? I'm in constant discomfort. Help?
TheDisappearingLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 143/120/120

Height: 5'1

I noticed that the first two weeks as well. My muscles were always sore! But i can't say it was so soar i couldn't lift my arm... it was mainly in my legs only. It passed when i got into week 3. Try taking some aspirin. My cycle is also irregular as well.
CassiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:54 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 153/140/125

Height: 4'10"

I am sorry you are hurting. Indon't know about the muscle pain but I have heard that the irreg cycle can be from the estrogen stored in fat being released as you lose weight. I hope you find some answers.
Mkssweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:04 AM   #4  

Thanks for shedding some light on this.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:09 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 249.4/see ticker/152

Height: 5'6"

That level of soreness is concerning and I'm glad your doctor is doing blood tests for you. I know muscle soreness can be an adverse reaction to some medications and needs to be checked out quickly before it causes irreversable harm. Hopefully, your doctor will have some information for you quickly and can tell you what is happening. Please let us know what you find out.
galpal445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:02 PM   #6  
Started IP 12/30/11

S/C/G: 160/125/130 Phase 4!!!

Height: 5'

Potassium is a tricky one and one of the more serious concerns with this diet. Don't self medicate when it comes to that one. Too much potassium can also cause problems.

Your labs results will let you know if you need to increase it.

Have you ever had problems like this before. I did long ago but it just went away after a while. It was odd. Some suspected it was an allergy??

I don't want to throw out too many possibilities since I, too, have muscle soreness/sensitivity but my lab work came out clean so it is something else. I will say this. I got some massages and they really helped.

Also, my pains and this has been true for me for ages are always much worse before and around my cycle. They disappear or dissipate as soon as it starts.

Yes, please let us know what you find out.
purple sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #7  
dedicated

S/C/G: 220/208/120

Height: 5'1"

Well I have heard the potassium can be a problem, but I have not had this, I'm sorry I think it's wise to talke to your Dr. so I hope they have answeres for you.

The irregularness of the TOM is normal! Dr. Tran goes over it in his book I also go hand outs from my coach the first day letting people know that it can be very irregular. I personally had not had a TOM for years and then started on day 5 of IP and well it has yet to stop and I'm one month in. So I actually take this as a good sign, beleive it or not

Hope you get it figured out! Best of luck!
100poundfreeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:44 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 239/227/135

Height: 5'2"

I have been fortunate to not have the muscle soreness. You have made the best move by getting your doctor involved. What you are describing to me sounds like what my mother and grandmother go through with fibromyalgia pain. I am certainly not suggesting that is what is causing your pain..merely illustrating how the same symptom can be many different things for different people. As everyone else has said, please keep us posted.
MustangMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 300/152/154

Height: 5 ft 5.525 inches

Absolutely work with your doctor, as potassium levels are related to heart health. Too low or too high are a problem.

Magnesium is good for muscles, but perhaps the blood work will show if you need more. I have fibromyalgia, and it's been a year since I started IP, but I do seem to remember it hurting at first, but now, the pain is much, much less. A benefit I didn't expect.

Good luck!
Sewmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:12 PM   #10  

All my labs came back normal, but my physician wants to move me out of the program gradually to see if it improves. If I'm still having the pain, we will know it wasn't the diet. If the pain goes away, we will know it was IP not agreeing with my body. My coach has been so helpful throughout my transition and I also appreciate all of your concern.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:33 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Height: 5' 8"

I didn't experience muscle soreness. Drinking too much water is just as bad as drinking too little...irregular cycles are the "norm" on this diet. Be well and I hope your labs give you some answers.
New Englander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:37 PM   #12  

I just remembered I did feel pain throughout my body and thought it was a type of arthritis. Fortunately after some time it went away and hasn't returned...but it wasn't muscle related it was just odd pains throughout my body, which hurt when I moved. Looking back I highly doubt it was related to this diet.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:43 PM   #13  
Restart IP 10/19/2013

S/C/G: 195/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDisappearingLady View Post
All my labs came back normal, but my physician wants to move me out of the program gradually to see if it improves. If I'm still having the pain, we will know it wasn't the diet. If the pain goes away, we will know it was IP not agreeing with my body. My coach has been so helpful throughout my transition and I also appreciate all of your concern.
I had very achy muscles in the beginning and also very heavy night sweats. Both, I read were side effects of ketosis. I still get the achy arm muscles and I also get muscle stress that causes shooting pain, mostly I have these in my hands and feet. Lately I noticed some hair loss plus, red, irritated eyes in the afternoon causing blurred vision. I think that was associated with low biotin because it went away after I supplemented with biotin.

Biotin is a B complex vitamin that aids in digestion and the breakdown of fats. It also carries energy to cells and is responsible for healthy looking hair and nails. Biotin level cannot be tested, they go by symptoms for low biotin: hair loss, brittle nails, conjunctivitis, tingling sensation and numbness, etc. Here is a link to where I gathered this information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biotin
http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/herb...1/a/Biotin.htm

One more thing, were you eating restricted IP once daily? I quit eating restricteds and I think I wasn't getting enough carbs which was an issue for me.

Last edited by sekc14; 02-24-2012 at 10:53 PM.
sekc14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:11 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Height: 5'8"

I definitely had more post exercise muscle soreness for the first few weeks of phase 1. This is not usual for me, but it did resolve by week 3. I think it is not an uncommon symptom of carb withdrawal.
Momto2cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:37 AM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekc14 View Post
I had very achy muscles in the beginning and also very heavy night sweats. Both, I read were side effects of ketosis. I still get the achy arm muscles and I also get muscle stress that causes shooting pain, mostly I have these in my hands and feet. Lately I noticed some hair loss plus, red, irritated eyes in the afternoon causing blurred vision. I think that was associated with low biotin because it went away after I supplemented with biotin.

Biotin is a B complex vitamin that aids in digestion and the breakdown of fats. It also carries energy to cells and is responsible for healthy looking hair and nails. Biotin level cannot be tested, they go by symptoms for low biotin: hair loss, brittle nails, conjunctivitis, tingling sensation and numbness, etc. Here is a link to where I gathered this information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biotin
http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/herb...1/a/Biotin.htm

One more thing, were you eating restricted IP once daily? I quit eating restricteds and I think I wasn't getting enough carbs which was an issue for me.
Thanks for the info! Even though I didn't start this thread I'm sure glad someone did! I have a central nervous disease and numbness, tingling and blurred vision are common issues I face daily and it's good to know that ketosis could also cause them (or in my case make them worse) which means I may feel that much better when I'm out of it...just a chance but worth holding on to! TY!