Old 04-18-2014, 01:16 PM   #1  
Started IP on 3/1/2014

S/C/G: 237.5/207.5/140

Height: 5'1"

Default The IP Alternative Program

I decided to give the IP Alternative Program a try... this is not the same as doing the IP program using alternative foods. This is the actual IP Alternative Program designed for diabetics. I tried the regular IP program for a month & a half, but at that point, I still had no energy and I didn't feel very good.

Since I've switched to the Alternative program, I have more energy and I feel better. I guess adding a carb, fruit, and dairy portion each day will do that! I can tell that the weight loss is slower, but I am walking 30 minutes a day, which hopefully will help increase my losses.

I would love to hear from other members on this Alternative (diabetic) program, and what your daily or weekly menu is like. Hope to hear from lots of peeps!
karkrazy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:30 PM   #2  

Hi karkrazy

Here are some existing threads

Official "Ideal Protein Alternative Plan Phase 1"

There was also this one
Help please on switching to Alternative Protocol

And this one
Anyone doing the Alternative Protocol Phase 1? (this is not about alternative food)

And this one
Anyone on the Alternative Protocol?

And this
Alternative Phase 1 Plan

I hope you can find the info you are looking for!
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:21 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Hi karkrazy: I started on the regular plan, but switched to the Alternative plan when I had a big stall. I felt so much better and no problems with the big C after that. I also started losing weight again. It worked so well for me that I'd suggest to most people that they go with the alternate - it's also easier to travel & eat out with this plan. The other threads are helpful as stated above.
Wishing you the best...
Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:05 PM   #4  
Started IP on 3/1/2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadjineh View Post
Hi karkrazy: I started on the regular plan, but switched to the Alternative plan when I had a big stall. I felt so much better and no problems with the big C after that. I also started losing weight again. It worked so well for me that I'd suggest to most people that they go with the alternate - it's also easier to travel & eat out with this plan. The other threads are helpful as stated above.
Wishing you the best...
Liana
Thank you for replying! I took a look at the other threads, but they are pretty old, so I was hoping to get some "fresh" answers.

The Alternative program is a lot better IMO because I don't feel nearly as tired and sluggish. And I'm so happy to have a piece a fruit every day!

What does your daily/weekly menu look like? How do you mix up the group items that you add to breakfast, lunch, and dinner? Right now, this is what my day typically looks like:

B: 2 whole eggs (in place of an IP packet) w/S&P + 2 pieces of multigrain toast

S: 1/2 Quest bar

L: 1 Granny Smith apple & Salad (2 cups spring mix + 1 whole egg & 2 egg whites (in place of an IP packet) + 2 oz. grilled chicken + 2 tsp. EVOO & ACV dressing)

S: 1/2 Quest bar

D: 6 oz. grilled chicken or ground turkey patty + 2 cups cauliflower + 6 oz. 2% milk

I'd like to try some new combinations, so I hope to hear from you... and anyone else!

Last edited by karkrazy13; 04-18-2014 at 10:06 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:12 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Karkrazy - just an FYI... To replace an IP packet with eggs, most people go with one whole egg and three whites.

Looks like the Alternative plan is working to get your energy back. Seems like a good choice for you!
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:21 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by karkrazy13 View Post
The Alternative program is a lot better IMO because I don't feel nearly as tired and sluggish. And I'm so happy to have a piece a fruit every day!

What does your daily/weekly menu look like? How do you mix up the group items that you add to breakfast, lunch, and dinner? I'd like to try some new combinations, so I hope to hear from you... and anyone else!
Hey karkrazy: Here's an example of one day for me (I'm on maintenance now - so I had to hunt up an old diary)

BF 2c black coffee
1 small banana (like the 'apple' bananas no more than 5 inches long)
1 slice of crispy ovenfried bacon (not exactly on plan but wanted a taste of hubby's)
1c Vegan choc protein shake (32 g protein 5.5 carbs)

LUNCH 4 hardboiled eggs (yes 4)
1.5c sliced cucumber with 2 tbsp. hummous

DINNER 6 oz chicken breast barbequed (ie. cooked on the barbeque but without any sauces)
stir fry of 2.5c mixed bok choy, cauliflower, green onion, and basil
EVOO

SNACK 1/2c cottage cheese (2%)

Liana
If you want to see my maintenance menus I am posting at "Maintenance What Are You Eating IPeeps?" too.

Last edited by canadjineh; 04-19-2014 at 08:56 PM. Reason: clarity of wording
Old 04-19-2014, 08:29 PM   #7  

You can always add corn to a salad or use a bit of beans to make a taco style salad. You could use feta in a Greek Salad or make a cordon bleu with your chicken breast (cheddar & ham stuffed - or easier still baked on top of the breast). A baked potato (measured amount) is very good with a quality EVOO drizzled on it and chopped green onion to accompany your roast beef or extra lean patty. Unflavoured 0% Greek yogourt & salsa (check the sugar levels in your salsa choice) make an amazing dip or topping for everything. Fresh fruit salad mixed is great for breakfast or a dessert at another meal.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:00 PM   #8  
Started IP on 3/1/2014

Quote:
Hey karkrazy: Here's an example of one day for me (I'm on maintenance now - so I had to hunt up an old diary)

BF 2c black coffee
1 small banana (like the 'apple' bananas no more than 5 inches long)
1 slice of crispy ovenfried bacon (not exactly on plan but wanted a taste of hubby's)
1c Vegan choc protein shake (32 g protein 5.5 carbs)

LUNCH 4 hardboiled eggs (yes 4)
1.5c sliced cucumber with 2 tbsp. hummous

DINNER 6 oz chicken breast barbequed (ie. cooked on the barbeque but without any sauces)
stir fry of 2.5c mixed bok choy, cauliflower, green onion, and basil
EVOO

SNACK 1/2c cottage cheese (2%)

Liana
If you want to see my maintenance menus I am posting at "Maintenance What Are You Eating IPeeps?" too.
Thank you for sharing a sample day of food I didn't think you could have bacon on IP... but I would love to add that to my breakfast!

I noticed that you didn't add any grains (bread, pasta, brown rice, etc.) to any of your meals... was that just a personal preference? I love being able to have 2 slices of 100% multigrain toast for breakfast... it really helps to fill me up
Old 04-20-2014, 02:03 PM   #9  
Started IP on 3/1/2014

Quote:
You can always add corn to a salad or use a bit of beans to make a taco style salad. You could use feta in a Greek Salad or make a cordon bleu with your chicken breast (cheddar & ham stuffed - or easier still baked on top of the breast). A baked potato (measured amount) is very good with a quality EVOO drizzled on it and chopped green onion to accompany your roast beef or extra lean patty. Unflavoured 0% Greek yogourt & salsa (check the sugar levels in your salsa choice) make an amazing dip or topping for everything. Fresh fruit salad mixed is great for breakfast or a dessert at another meal.
I never thought about having a baked potato with EVOO & green onions, but I might have to give that a try

Thank you for all your suggestions!
Old 04-20-2014, 10:57 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by karkrazy13 View Post
Thank you for sharing a sample day of food I didn't think you could have bacon on IP... but I would love to add that to my breakfast!

I noticed that you didn't add any grains (bread, pasta, brown rice, etc.) to any of your meals... was that just a personal preference? I love being able to have 2 slices of 100% multigrain toast for breakfast... it really helps to fill me up
Hahaha, bacon isn't really allowed, that's why I put the note in about tasting hubby's. You can use beans for the starches which in this case was hummous taking the place of a bread or potato or rice. Just for a change.
Chili with lots of veg & meat with beans added as starch is a yummy meal for Alternate. Salad on the side or celery sticks, w.h.y.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:36 AM   #11  

Here's an interesting idea for a Cuban style pork loin (from the book "300 best taco recipes") without the tortilla, of course. Interesting flavours, nonetheless.

baking dish greased with a bit of evoo or spray of Pam
sliced or chopped grilled/roasted pork loin - enough for 4 servings
minced dill pickles (they suggest 24 minced pickles - not large I'm assuming)
minced red onion (1 whole red onion)
prepared mustard
thinly sliced baked ham or deli ham
thin sliced Swiss cheese

layer pork loin in the baking dish
if sliced - top with mustard; if chopped - add mustard to minced pickles and onion mixture
top with pickle/onion mixture
top with layer of ham
top with layer of cheese

cover with foil & bake in a 325°F preheated oven til cheese is melted and meat is heated through (15-20 minutes)

Add a salad on the side or other veggies and you got a fancy dinner covered with your alternate dairy choice used.

This sounded very easy - I might try this fairly soon.

Some other ideas are a fruit salsa (mango or pineapple) over baked fish or chicken. I'll see what else there is in this cook book from the library. A parmesan crusted tilapia/basa using a thin spread of NO SUGAR homemade mayo and grated parmesan with spices on the fish is really yummy. The mayo is mostly EVOO - so it takes the place of that fat in the recipe.

Liana
Old 04-21-2014, 12:10 PM   #12  
Started IP on 3/1/2014

Quote:
Here's an interesting idea for a Cuban style pork loin (from the book "300 best taco recipes") without the tortilla, of course. Interesting flavours, nonetheless.

baking dish greased with a bit of evoo or spray of Pam
sliced or chopped grilled/roasted pork loin - enough for 4 servings
minced dill pickles (they suggest 24 minced pickles - not large I'm assuming)
minced red onion (1 whole red onion)
prepared mustard
thinly sliced baked ham or deli ham
thin sliced Swiss cheese

layer pork loin in the baking dish
if sliced - top with mustard; if chopped - add mustard to minced pickles and onion mixture
top with pickle/onion mixture
top with layer of ham
top with layer of cheese

cover with foil & bake in a 325°F preheated oven til cheese is melted and meat is heated through (15-20 minutes)

Add a salad on the side or other veggies and you got a fancy dinner covered with your alternate dairy choice used.

This sounded very easy - I might try this fairly soon.

Some other ideas are a fruit salsa (mango or pineapple) over baked fish or chicken. I'll see what else there is in this cook book from the library. A parmesan crusted tilapia/basa using a thin spread of NO SUGAR homemade mayo and grated parmesan with spices on the fish is really yummy. The mayo is mostly EVOO - so it takes the place of that fat in the recipe.

Liana
Thank you for the recipe, it sounds delish! The parmesan crusted tilapia sounds yummy, too! I typically don't like fish, but that sounds good

I appreciate the recipes!
Old 04-21-2014, 06:25 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 169/153.8/135

Height: 5'3"

good evening all

well I sent my coach an email and told him that I was going to continue following Ideal Protein protocol but that I've decided to use alternative products - I feel that it's just too expensive - I started over the weekend to incorporate some other products and so far no problem - I can do this - what I will start doing is weighing in at Weight Watchers on saturday morning - I'm lifetime member with them - that will keep
me accountable
maureen kempster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:33 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by maureen kempster View Post
good evening all

well I sent my coach an email and told him that I was going to continue following Ideal Protein protocol but that I've decided to use alternative products - I feel that it's just too expensive - I started over the weekend to incorporate some other products and so far no problem - I can do this - what I will start doing is weighing in at Weight Watchers on saturday morning - I'm lifetime member with them - that will keep
me accountable
Good for you Maureen! There are actually threads that help with using alternative products to IP, although what we have been talking about here is the IP Phase 1 Alternative plan that adds 1 starch, 1 fruit and 1 lo-fat dairy to the 'regular' IP plan. Quite a few of us IP'ers use alternative products as well so you will find lots of help on 3FC. Regular weigh in helps a lot with accountability.

There's also a Canadian gals thread for IP too!
Old 04-21-2014, 06:58 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 169/153.8/135

Height: 5'3"

thanks - I keep getting the 2 threads mixed up - I want to stick with the IP protocol but use other products!!

thanks again
maureen kempster is offline   Reply With Quote