Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 07:09 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 251/208/180

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65X65 View Post
Mars..I am with you...!!!

VERY carb sensitive and the big breakfast did not sit well with me AT ALL...

I do better with 3 breakfasts I rotate during 6 days M-Sat...

(1) A 3-egg white and veggie omlettes,
(2) A protein shake diluted with 1C Almond milk and strong coffee made into a vanilla or mocha latte (split into 2 shakes actually...) with a hardboiled egg if I am hungry mid AM.
(3)Berries with cottage cheese or yogurt and an egg white or small (2) egg white omlette.

Do these each twice a week.

We do a "brunch" on Sundays:
For me- Usually 1 poached egg over a green salad (lemon and oil dressing) and a small pork cutlet, (rather than a cured meat...we avoid nitrates) a few avacado slices, or berries and 1/2 C cottage cheese or greek yogurt.

Lunch is usually a salad and 3-4 oz left over chicken/pork/steak/seafood etc . I plan dinner so there is something left over for my nxt day's lunch.
Dinner is pretty much 6-8 oz grilled meat or fish, a veggie and green salad.
Snacks are almost always almonds or a few pieces of some nice cheese...but I go way easy on the rice crackers...more often than not having none!! Occasional glass of wine when we are out.

Starch: Eliminate/substitute another veggie for potatoes or rice when ordering out...and usually ask for sauces on the side and do lemon and olive oil dressing myself. I eat all veggies now...beets, and sweet potaoes more sparingly though. Careful with fruit...if it's in an occasional salad or is a fresh fruit dessert...OK...but do not grab apples or bananas during the day...at close to 100 calories each piece...I have no room in my maintenance-diet day for those large numbers since BMR is based on height. And I am one of those people who truly feel better with protein than carbs. That is a blessing.

Have had chocolate a few times...that is something I try to only do the dark dark kind...and really rare...treat...and don't keep it in the house!!!

For me this diet was a lifestyle change and one I embraced. But NOT going back to foods that are high in carbs, sugars and have been processed was easy for me...being gluten free by necessity for 8 years now...helped.
Pizza and pastry were never on my radar...and I don't buy the GF equivalents, except for rice crackers. And that's only because my husband eats them and prefers them over regular....Better for me if they are NOT in abundance in this house...I also like them.. a lot!! I find this way of eating is very easy to handle with travel and socially. I'm known as being picky...and that is OK.. Picky people are usually thin. When I do have a glass of wine...it is a REALLY GOOD one...and I thoroughly enjoy it!! I also enjoy a Mojhito with no sugar...and my son-in-law swears he is going to convert me to some vodka drink very low in carbs when we go to Mexico in a few weeks!

I've needed to kick up the exercise intensity to maintain...
Routine more intense now and do monitor my heart rate appropriate to my age to be sure I am working hard enough...and yes...I sweat more!!!

6 days a week..
3 days of circuit and either ride 5 miles on a stationary recumb bike that day...or walk outside weather permitting about 3 miles.
The other 3 days I don't do circuit, but do back and leg exercises and ride 10 miles at level 4 on the recumb bike...and am pleased to say my speed is now 10 MPH!!! Currently, am at the gym from 7- to about 8:20 every day except Sunday...Trying to relax that day. As the weather gets nicer now I may begin to take a longer outside walk....and am considering getting a bike for riding with my husband this summer.

Life is good...I can move easily...fit in nice clothes and no longer am fixated on ideas for losing weight.
I weigh every day....

It's so much better to fixate on maintaining...MUCH easier. (Although some consider maintenance hard...pick your hard....This is an easier mental ride...Really.) Which is why I have advocated getting an exercise routine established and making peace with the scale BEFORE you get to maintenance. Those pieces need to not be challenging......it's time to just get on with your life. And it should be a good one, and well deserved after months of fighting to lose. Maintenance should all about what you won!
Hello 65,
Thank you soooo much this is exactly what I'm looking for and hoping the maintainers will do. I've read this a couple times already. Like the breakfast choices. Looks like you keep it light in carbs even in maintenance is that right?
wow very impressed with the exercise, I've never been one for exercise but I now need to incorporate it in I wish I had your devotion for it, I'm really anxious to get tightened up. I need to find motivation for it
I hope others will follow your lead and give us their routines thank you thank you!!! I can tell by how many are reading this thread there are many out there looking like me for this information.
it's a vital vulnerable time heading into phase 3 & 4. I had thought I would be able to relax a bit but now I realize it's even more work and preparation because I now need to cook and plan for all my meals and snacks. IP food made things easy.

I wonder if there are any Maintainers who still eat the IP food a bit throughout the day. For example I like the muffins and the tomato soup bread for my pizza crust.

thanks again 65 I'm looking forward to wine, I haven't had it for since I started this in August and I have 3 wine racks full in my house LOL use to be quite the wine drinker. Have had the occasional vodka and that doesn't affect my scale so will stick with that for the most part going forward. Wine will be an occasional treat but my wine is for company now Surprisingly I do not miss it that much. Vodka works fine

other maintainers PLEASE PLEASE share with us. I know you have many other threads but you have all been talking and sharing on them and grown to a new level of supporting one another, so I rarely see talk about what your eating on a daily bases. Can't wait till food isn't my every thought but your journey there is VERY HELPFUL INFO FOR THOSE OF US JUST APPROACING THIS WORLD!!
Old 03-31-2014, 05:15 PM   #17  
Started IP 5/13/13

S/C/G: 185/128/135

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

I am still trying to figure out what works best for me in maintenance. Like 65 I also stick closely to a P2 type of daily eating.

B - Milk Chocolate V-Core Vantage protein shake made with 6 oz. cold coffee, dash of sea salt and cinnamon, and 1 c. crushed ice, mixed in Magic Bullet til deliciously thick and wonderful!
L - Mixed Field Green salad with tomatoes, mushrooms, green peppers and grilled chicken, with homemade Italian dressing.
D - Pulled Pork with homemade coleslaw (dressing made by adapting Rainbow's Mayo recipe; substituting cider vinegar for the lemon juice and adding a few drops of Stevia, poppy seeds and celery salt) on a cauliflower tortilla drizzled with Walden Farms BBQ sauce. Seriously delicious!
S - Depends on my mood, but I like to have a protein bar that I have on hand from Nashua Nutrition.

Rather than having my "fun" days I generally have a "fun" snack when I am in the mood. Sometimes it is a couple paleo cookies or some type of paleo cake or treat I am trying. On the weekend I will do a big breakfast that varies but a lot of times is blueberry paleo pancakes with pure maple syrup and a low fat turkey sausage patty.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:00 PM   #18  

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak1lls View Post
I am still trying to figure out what works best for me in maintenance. Like 65 I also stick closely to a P2 type of daily eating.

B - Milk Chocolate V-Core Vantage protein shake made with 6 oz. cold coffee, dash of sea salt and cinnamon, and 1 c. crushed ice, mixed in Magic Bullet til deliciously thick and wonderful!
L - Mixed Field Green salad with tomatoes, mushrooms, green peppers and grilled chicken, with homemade Italian dressing.
D - Pulled Pork with homemade coleslaw (dressing made by adapting Rainbow's Mayo recipe; substituting cider vinegar for the lemon juice and adding a few drops of Stevia, poppy seeds and celery salt) on a cauliflower tortilla drizzled with Walden Farms BBQ sauce. Seriously delicious!
S - Depends on my mood, but I like to have a protein bar that I have on hand from Nashua Nutrition.

Rather than having my "fun" days I generally have a "fun" snack when I am in the mood. Sometimes it is a couple paleo cookies or some type of paleo cake or treat I am trying. On the weekend I will do a big breakfast that varies but a lot of times is blueberry paleo pancakes with pure maple syrup and a low fat turkey sausage patty.
Dak have you found you gain when eating the carbs the way IP tells us too in maintenance?
Old 04-01-2014, 07:14 AM   #19  

Originally Posted by canadjineh View Post in Maintainers thread>>> thank you Canadjineh.

Hi KC: This is my maintenance plan according to IP... They told me not to worry about how many carbs and how many fat grams, just don't eat those two things richly at the same meal...
still working for me, my weigh in with my coach today was 132.4 pounds. I realize there are others out there that may be more sensitive to carbs than I am and may have to eat less but I am 50 years old, I have Fibromyalgia, and Arthritis and I can't be the exercise maniac I used to be - I only get out to walk 3 times a week and once in a while do Zumba or an Aquafit/Deep Water Running class. So I'm not a fat burning machine any more

I had difficulty with trying to get 3x the fat g as carb grams for my carb-poor meal but I am pretty in tune with my body and my coach suggested that I just pay attention to how I feel and how my weight reacts. So now I'm doing fine if my carb-poor meal has equalish (not a word, I know lol) fat/carb grams or less if I sometimes manage it.

My BMR to stay at 132 is 1590 cal. before any exercise is calculated (which can be eaten back 1/2 way just in case it's an overestimate in cal. burned)

PS: My DH asked me the other day why I bother to log in everything every day, then when I showed him the pancake breakfast from Sunday (which I haven't had since early November) he was totally shocked, since he usually has 5 or 6 5inch pancakes and only had 2 the same as me yesterday. And he wondered why he gained the 15 lbs over the winter while he wasn't working ....

This Sunday's meals weren't something I eat EVERY day, but they still fit in my IP Maintenance plan. I'll continue to post some of my other days on this thread and you gals can take what you like from them
Liana
Old 04-01-2014, 10:33 AM   #20  
Started IP 5/13/13

S/C/G: 185/128/135

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdoe View Post
Dak have you found you gain when eating the carbs the way IP tells us too in maintenance?
Here is what I have found; if I stay away from grains and refined sugars I do not seem to gain. If my carbs are healthier and not mixed with fats I do well and did not notice any gains. As soon as I start eating the refined carbs I start having major cravings and feel like a junky needing a "fix"! Then, I get bloated and constipated and start grazing, looking for a way to satisfy my cravings.

I started eating just about anything I wanted over the last month and noticed I was putting lots of bad stuff in my mouth and my tummy immediately started bloating and I felt like my mid section was getting bigger and I went up 5 lbs. I noticed it in my clothes and put a stop to it. I am back to eating better and I feel much better too. Refined carbs are my enemy. When I want something sweet I make paleo types of baked goods using pure maple syrup, raw honey, coconut sugar, etc...and I don't get the same gains or cravings. I don't know if that is the same for everyone, but it is for me.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:01 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Thanks and HI Daks...Nice to hear from you!!

Me thinks maintenance is real individual...key is individual metabolism and possibly how much weight one had gained and needed to lose. It seems to me that someone with less poundage/%body mass to lose probably is NOT at all, or not AS, insulin resistant as another individual who had say, 25-30% or more of their body weight to lose and/or had been heavy for a longer period of time with no success in losing anything that mattered.

A friend at the gym actually made an astounding parallel between animals and people recently in a conversation..stating -
"It is well known that even within a breed of animals...the nutrition and diet of animals like dogs and horses is not one size fits all, and a good animal handler knows how to tailor what the individual animal needs. Why should any one think people are any different!!!!"
I wanted to hug her....and gotta admit this is like the epitome of "Occams Razor"....!! Simply stated: "The most apparent or simple answer is usually the RIGHT answer."
**Ernst Mach advocated a version of Occam's razor which he called the Principle of Economy, stating that "Scientists must use the simplest means of arriving at their results and exclude everything not perceived by the senses." Taken to its logical conclusion, this philosophy becomes positivism; the belief that there is no difference between something that exists but is not observable and something that doesn't exist at all.
Sorry...I digress....This off track thought is not to discount the success or speed that those with lesser to lose can hit goal using IP, and get on with a normal metabolic life...but their metabolism may not be as broken...YAY for them! Seriously...I mean that sincerely. And if the medical community directed those with weight issues to this solution early on in the process...maybe there would be less broke metabolism issues in this country that get permanently out of whack.

Those who know there was definitely a problem metabolically for themselves should not expect IP to "fix it".... That is baloney.... !!!
IP will help get the weight off better faster and easier when nothing else will. But unless there is a committment to making the appropriate lifestyle changes...the winning game is over when the diet ends....

I too find more than a hint of processed carbs will create cravings (crackers)..!! ... When I eat "clean" ... grilled or roasted proteins, eggs, fresh vegetables and limit 98% of my carbs to high fiber foods... and avoid sugar like the devil personified..I feel great...no bloating and no gaining.

There is not a scripted recipe for maintenance. You gotta work it out for yourself...Those who have not tried to learn and make the correct life style changes emotionally and personally in activity level while on this diet will have a steep learning curve during maintenance ...and that may be too large a challenge to overcome before the metabolic issue reoccurs.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:28 PM   #22  
Started IP 1/29/2013

S/C/G: 194/130/145

Height: 5'2

Hi All!
I have been in maintenance for about 7 months and it is truly a work in progress. I follow IP separating fats/carbs except for breakfast. I really only eat carbs for dinner maybe 3 times a week by choice. If I do eat carbs it is sprouted grain pasta, toasted pasta, farro or whole grain rice. I really try to look for carbs with no sugars.
For lunch just about everyday I eat cauliflower taco shells (egg or egg white and I add some fat free cheddar to hold it together), 4-5 ounces of lean roast beef or natural turkey with light laughing cow cheese or mayo. I also eat lettuce with regular salad dressing. Dinner is usually 5-6 oz protein, always veggies and the occasional carb. I do eat a snack between lunch and dinner and always after dinner. I continue to eat IP snacks ( unrestricted BBQ chips, unrestricted salt and vinegar chips, and pickle zippers). I eat Quest bars and PB2. I do indulge in a fun day which has become a fun meal or snack. I was never a fan of exercise but it must be done in maintenance. It is now just part of who I am.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:53 PM   #23  

Mars,

Thank you, I've discovered I like Parsnip Fries and Spaghetti Squash. I discovered these items quite by accident, realizing after that they were forbidden. I stupidly thought Parsnips were Turnips, never having had either LOL imagine how upset I was when I started calculating Parsnips in my fitness Pal and discovering their Carb content. I threw an entire tray of them in the trash In maintenance I will be able to have them.

DAK,

Thank you so much that was very helpful. I've had the same issue. Started finding in the evening's I'm craving carbs and wanting to much. I'm trying to come up with healthier choices. Making the nonrestricted Wildberry muffins for a better choice. rather then a sleeve of garlic ritz crackers. I went through a patch after a hospital stay having lost 40 lbs and did the eat everything in sight thing. I gained the 11 lbs I lost in the hospital in 3 months, started back on IP right where I left off, oddly enough. But I too felt horrible and realized how badly refined carbs affect me. I'm struggling now with cravings and have to put them in perspective and find things to have.
I'm struggling with the breakfasts trying to Determine what I can have and old habits and utilizing new ones. That's why all of this helps so much. Really appreciate your sharing this!!!

That is exactly right. Problem with this diet is the same thing that makes it so wonderful. You lose fast. I've lost 60 lbs in 6 months. happening that fast means it's not a long slow battle so the habits are not something learned and followed for a long period of time. But they must be kept or it will only come back. That goes without saying. I do agree this diet doesn't change a persons make up the best we can hope for is to learn and have a tool that helps us keep on track. I'm hoping this is the one for me. thank you

Jellie
7 Months wow and still below goal that's awesome. for not mixing the fat and carbs does this mean never having butter on bread? I just bought some Nature's own Whole Wheat thin sliced bagels. In checking all the breads on the shelves this was the lowest this store had to offer having 22 Carbs for an entire bagel slim where as all the breads had 20 per slice of bread. I haven't eaten them yet I just bought them but they do have 4G of sugar. Why do you choose carbs without sugar?
That Taco sounds awesome!!!!!!! Definitely trying that, use to love laughing cow cheese when I did south beach diet prior.
I'm thinking a fun day should be more that way. A mean a special treat not a whole day. This was wonderful thank you!!!

OK what I ate today:
I was out of eggs so I had the IP Omelet with 3 links of turkey sausage with low-fat cottage cheese.
Lunch: 6 0z chicken breast with broccoli with garlic salt.
Dinner: Burger (lean)
Had garlic bread (shouldn't have) my son made pasta alfredo with garlic bread for himself and my hubby, I didn't touch that but allowed myself a piece of the bread.
SNACK: IP chocolate puffs
Drank unsweet tea with Stevia Green leaf.

Still learning trying to figure this out. searching this site for meals and ideas of what to buy.

THANK YOU ALL THAT ARE REPLYING
Old 04-02-2014, 05:27 AM   #24  
Started IP 1/29/2013

[QUOTE=kcdoe;4975473]Mars,

Jellie
7 Months wow and still below goal that's awesome. for not mixing the fat and carbs does this mean never having butter on bread? I just bought some Nature's own Whole Wheat thin sliced bagels. In checking all the breads on the shelves this was the lowest this store had to offer having 22 Carbs for an entire bagel slim where as all the breads had 20 per slice of bread. I haven't eaten them yet I just bought them but they do have 4G of sugar. Why do you choose carbs without sugar?
That Taco sounds awesome!!!!!!! Definitely trying that, use to love laughing cow cheese when I did south beach diet prior.
I'm thinking a fun day should be more that way. A mean a special treat not a whole day. This was wonderful thank you!!!

Hi kcdoe! I don't have butter on bread except for breakfast or fun day, but if I want it I toast the cauliflower shells lightly with a little butter and garlic salt/powder. I swear those shells come in very handy. I use them as hamburger buns also. I HATED cauliflower before this diet and now eat it everyday. I make a batch of them and keep them in the freezer so I have them for like 3 weeks. I choose carbs without or with the lowest sugar because I don't have cravings after them. Sometimes if I have too much sugar in anything it triggers me and I want to eat more. Pepperidge farms makes a low carb bread, for 2 slices it is 120 calories and 10 net carbs. Not sure if your supermarket carries that. Good luck!!!!!
Old 04-02-2014, 06:37 AM   #25  

Jellie
Hi kcdoe! I don't have butter on bread except for breakfast or fun day, but if I want it I toast the cauliflower shells lightly with a little butter and garlic salt/powder. I swear those shells come in very handy. I use them as hamburger buns also. I HATED cauliflower before this diet and now eat it everyday. I make a batch of them and keep them in the freezer so I have them for like 3 weeks. I choose carbs without or with the lowest sugar because I don't have cravings after them. Sometimes if I have too much sugar in anything it triggers me and I want to eat more. Pepperidge farms makes a low carb bread, for 2 slices it is 120 calories and 10 net carbs. Not sure if your supermarket carries that. Good luck!!!!!

Jellie
Ahh Do you know that on the phase 3 IP sheet it says 1 carb and 1 fat as part of the breakfast work up and the example they give is toast with butter. I don't understand this I thought we are not to combine the two because they make a fat cell. Oh well. I just did a search on the recipe links for the cauliflower taco shell but couldn't find it. I know that I've seen it. you also said the MAGIC words for me. You use cheese to hold it together. Would you mind giving me the recipe?
I'm such a cheese addict I've had the veggie brand cheese in my diet from day one.
I'm going to try the low or no sugar carbs see if that helps keep a leash on the cravings.
Will look for the Pepperidge farms bread, I'm sure I can find it in one of the stores around here.
Thank you Jellie, can you come back and tell us what you ate today?
Old 04-02-2014, 06:59 AM   #26  

Hey I went scrolling through the Maintainers thread to find some guidance for Maintenance eating and here are some morsels I found ; yeahhh I haven't found daily what they are eating yet but will keep looking. I also went through 8 pages of one of the "what are you eating peeps" all P1 . I'm not giving up though. For now hopefully the below will be informative to someone. I thought it was wonderful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnymae View Post
Good morning Ladies
I wrote a long post the other day that got deleted and was too lazy to repeat myself, so I'll chime in today for post thanksgiving :0)
I've been loving reading all the post on this thread and to this day comforted and encouraged by all of you.
I've been on a very slow reboot with 11lbs to go. I was up 16lbs when I started.I'm finally starting to see the old new me again, which is rewarding.
I agree with the gals who have been finding that most carbs are just not right for their bodies. Whether GF breads, even good grains or legumes...my body does not move those foods thru my body and I always gain from them.
This reboot has been an opportunity to redefine and customize my maintenance program.
Last time, I was so paranoid about not following IP to the letter with the big breakfasts and carbs at night, etc., that I disregarded my bodies personal messages to Me!
So, this time I am listening and I know I will be fine from here on in with diligence of course.
I'm forever grateful for this group and all of our combined wisdom and experience.
QUOTE=EPAPRN;4894205]Sarita: maintenance was explained to me as P3, but add one serving of fat with lunch (tuna with real mayo on a salad or chicken Caesar salad with real dressing and/or cheese, no croutons), and add one serving of carbs to dinner (1/2c brown rice or quinoa, 1/2 sweet potato, fruit or a slice of whole grain bread). Snacks can be cheese sticks, nuts, a piece of fruit, or a packet/shake of your choice.[/QUOTE]
Quote:
I've been thinking about this a lot -- what information to give someone still in P1 that might help in maintenance, so, thanks for asking.

I think the biggest thing, is that your p1 lunch and dinner is going to become the main ingredients of your p4 lunch and dinner. So use p1 to learn both quick things to throw together and tasty things you enjoy when it comes to preparing salads, meats and vegetables. Then with p4, you are going to "enhance" lunch with a broader range of vegetables and some fat--like cheese or nuts or mayonnaise or unsweetened coconut, and your are going to "enhance" dinner with a broader range of vegetables, and perhaps a serving(!) of potato or pasta or rise or quinoa and/or fruit.

You want the mindset that things you know aren't particularly healthy--cake, ice cream, chips, etc--are only to be eaten on your fun day except for the rarest of exceptions. And if you slip, you get right back on track with the very next meal.

Plus, you'll want to think about whether you are going to keep artificial sweeteners part of your diet or not and how or if you want to transition from the IP/alternative products you have been using.

Once you move along in that direction for awhile, then you experiment with what is OK for a snack--what are still trigger foods? can you handle popcorn? a glass of wine? cheese? nuts? chocolate?

It is still going to take focus to maintain. The diet is never really "over"; it is the unbalanced diet part that has the beginning, middle and end. Maintenance is less socially isolating, but you still only have one day a week where you don't have to pay attention to what you put in your mouth (well, sort of. Because some of what you eat can make you feel sick, so you think twice.) So the "tricks" you learn in p1 for social situations--drink sparkling water with lime, it's about socializing not necessarily eating, eat before the event if appropriate--are sometimes going to be used in p4 as well.

Hopefully, you will become a big breakfast eater and enjoy the p3 breakfasts that carry over into p4. It gives you real food -- fruit! oatmeal! toast! yoghurt! -- to look forward to every day, and often keeps you full until lunch.

Last thing, start thinking about exercise if you haven't already. You'll need to think of something or a variety of somethings that you are willing to do most days (5 out of 7). You can try stuff on P1 if you keep the pace moderate to slow. Check out weight training, zumba, Les Mills, spinning, even walking or at least be thinking about the things you're going to try once you are close to or at your goal.

Read the Maintenance threads and find all of Maile's quotes and book recommendations. You'll also find some back-and-forth on meal frameworks, snack ideas, how much people do/don't exercise, vacation victories, and "stuff".

Keep pursuing your goal. You'll be a maintenance pro before you know it.

Disclaimer: I do not consider myself a maintenance pro.
This is the 3rd time I've lost over 50 lbs. P4 so far seems to be the most liveable maintenance. I have made it to the 1 year mark at least twice before (I think), so I'm shooting for the 2 year mark as my next goal. I'm currently at over 13 months (at lowest maintained weight ever!).QUOTE=EPAPRN;4894205

THE ABOVE ARE QUOTES FOUND, I'LL KEEP LOOKING!!! THANK YOU TO THOSE WHO WROTE THEM!!!

Last edited by kcdoe; 04-02-2014 at 07:02 AM.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:31 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdoe View Post
Hey I went scrolling through the Maintainers thread to find some guidance for Maintenance eating and here are some morsels I found ; yeahhh I haven't found daily what they are eating yet but will keep looking. I also went through 8 pages of one of the "what are you eating peeps" all P1 . I'm not giving up though. For now hopefully the below will be informative to someone. I thought it was wonderful.

QUOTE=EPAPRN;4894205]Sarita: maintenance was explained to me as P3, but add one serving of fat with lunch (tuna with real mayo on a salad or chicken Caesar salad with real dressing and/or cheese, no croutons), and add one serving of carbs to dinner (1/2c brown rice or quinoa, 1/2 sweet potato, fruit or a slice of whole grain bread). Snacks can be cheese sticks, nuts, a piece of fruit, or a packet/shake of your choice.
Quote:
I've been thinking about this a lot -- what information to give someone still in P1 that might help in maintenance, so, thanks for asking.

I think the biggest thing, is that your p1 lunch and dinner is going to become the main ingredients of your p4 lunch and dinner. So use p1 to learn both quick things to throw together and tasty things you enjoy when it comes to preparing salads, meats and vegetables. Then with p4, you are going to "enhance" lunch with a broader range of vegetables and some fat--like cheese or nuts or mayonnaise or unsweetened coconut, and your are going to "enhance" dinner with a broader range of vegetables, and perhaps a serving(!) of potato or pasta or rise or quinoa and/or fruit.

You want the mindset that things you know aren't particularly healthy--cake, ice cream, chips, etc--are only to be eaten on your fun day except for the rarest of exceptions. And if you slip, you get right back on track with the very next meal.

Plus, you'll want to think about whether you are going to keep artificial sweeteners part of your diet or not and how or if you want to transition from the IP/alternative products you have been using.

Once you move along in that direction for awhile, then you experiment with what is OK for a snack--what are still trigger foods? can you handle popcorn? a glass of wine? cheese? nuts? chocolate?

It is still going to take focus to maintain. The diet is never really "over"; it is the unbalanced diet part that has the beginning, middle and end. Maintenance is less socially isolating, but you still only have one day a week where you don't have to pay attention to what you put in your mouth (well, sort of. Because some of what you eat can make you feel sick, so you think twice.) So the "tricks" you learn in p1 for social situations--drink sparkling water with lime, it's about socializing not necessarily eating, eat before the event if appropriate--are sometimes going to be used in p4 as well.

Hopefully, you will become a big breakfast eater and enjoy the p3 breakfasts that carry over into p4. It gives you real food -- fruit! oatmeal! toast! yoghurt! -- to look forward to every day, and often keeps you full until lunch.

Last thing, start thinking about exercise if you haven't already. You'll need to think of something or a variety of somethings that you are willing to do most days (5 out of 7). You can try stuff on P1 if you keep the pace moderate to slow. Check out weight training, zumba, Les Mills, spinning, even walking or at least be thinking about the things you're going to try once you are close to or at your goal.

Read the Maintenance threads and find all of Maile's quotes and book recommendations. You'll also find some back-and-forth on meal frameworks, snack ideas, how much people do/don't exercise, vacation victories, and "stuff".

Keep pursuing your goal. You'll be a maintenance pro before you know it.

Disclaimer: I do not consider myself a maintenance pro.
This is the 3rd time I've lost over 50 lbs. P4 so far seems to be the most liveable maintenance. I have made it to the 1 year mark at least twice before (I think), so I'm shooting for the 2 year mark as my next goal. I'm currently at over 13 months (at lowest maintained weight ever!).QUOTE=EPAPRN;4894205

THE ABOVE ARE QUOTES FOUND, I'LL KEEP LOOKING!!! THANK YOU TO THOSE WHO WROTE THEM!!![/quote]

Good for you for finding this...!! It really reinforces reality for most who are able to hit goal or be pretty close to hitting a personal success point with IP..and it has been stated in a lot of posts in bits and pieces and all together by many who have "experience" in the maintenance journey. It takes at least 6 months to see if you are being successful. It's not like the weekly or monthly data points we rack up in P1...Patience is really necessary as well as conscious self monitoring to see what is working. A new and much longer journey...that about describes maintenance. And one that as this post states, is really enhanced IP ...using real food and self discipline.

After all..that is what any diet needs to morph into once the end point is attained. This is not just the "maintenance for life" need of IP's protocol!

Best of luck to all who are reading and posting here and tying to figure it out...sharing your personal tidbits is helpful..and motivates me to stay on track...actually more important to do that NOW than it was on P1. Never even imagined that was going to become apparent...because I never thought about it the way I do now!!

Last edited by 65X65; 04-02-2014 at 07:32 AM.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:14 AM   #28  
Started IP 2/13/13

S/C/G: 248/123/123

Height: 5'2"

Thanks for all your work on this thread. It is a great idea and is much needed. I have been gobbling it up eagerly as I start moving into a maintenance head-space.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:07 PM   #29  
Started IP 1/29/2013

Jellie
Ahh Do you know that on the phase 3 IP sheet it says 1 carb and 1 fat as part of the breakfast work up and the example they give is toast with butter. I don't understand this I thought we are not to combine the two because they make a fat cell. Oh well. I just did a search on the recipe links for the cauliflower taco shell but couldn't find it. I know that I've seen it. you also said the MAGIC words for me. You use cheese to hold it together. Would you mind giving me the recipe?
I'm such a cheese addict I've had the veggie brand cheese in my diet from day one.
I'm going to try the low or no sugar carbs see if that helps keep a leash on the cravings.
Will look for the Pepperidge farms bread, I'm sure I can find it in one of the stores around here.
Thank you Jellie, can you come back and tell us what you ate today?[/QUOTE]

Hi again!
Here is what is on the menu today:
B-0% Non-Fat Plain Greek Yogurt with 10 raspberries
1/2 tbsp light butter on 2 low fat whole grain waffles with WF syrup, and 2 turkey sausages

L-2 cauliflower taco shells with 2 light swiss laughing cow cheeses and 4oz roast beef and lettuce with 1/2 tbsp regular thousand island dressing

D-6oz 94% lean ground turkey, 2 cups zucchini, sprouted grain penne pasta (measured 2oz dry) and a 1/2 c Brownstone marinara (lowest sugar-for those who watch the real housewives of NJ Caroline Manzo's brand )

S-around 3pm 0% non fat plain greek yogurt with 2 tbsp PB2
S-around 8pm Ideal Protein unrestricted BBQ crisps and 4 tbsp PB2 and 4tbsp fat free cool whip (just discovered this-like ice cream)

I forgot to mention that I do track everything in My Fitness Pal. It is important to be accountable. I play with my food to be sure I am within range. I usually don't eat my exercise calories back but have if I'm extra hungry and it doesn't seem to hurt me.

Here is the cauliflower taco shell recipe:

You process a head of cauliflower

Microwave for 5-6 minutes stirring halfway through

Once done squeeze excess water with a cheesecloth or whatever you have. This really makes a difference, they stay together much better.

I add 2-3 eggs depending on the size of the head. You could use egg whites. I did during phase I. I add in Fat Free cheddar. A serving size is 1/4 cup but I just eyeball it since it is spread out among the whole head of cauliflower.

Bake at 400 for 15 minutes on parchment paper then flip and do another 15 minutes.
I have been making them and freezing them since it is sooo time consuming and they are fine.

Enjoy!!!!
Old 04-02-2014, 12:28 PM   #30  
Started IP 2/13/13

S/C/G: 248/123/123

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelliehel View Post
Jellie
Thank you Jellie, can you come back and tell us what you ate today?
Hi again!
Here is what is on the menu today:
B-0% Non-Fat Plain Greek Yogurt with 10 raspberries
1/2 tbsp light butter on 2 low fat whole grain waffles with WF syrup, and 2 turkey sausages

L-2 cauliflower taco shells with 2 light swiss laughing cow cheeses and 4oz roast beef and lettuce with 1/2 tbsp regular thousand island dressing

D-6oz 94% lean ground turkey, 2 cups zucchini, sprouted grain penne pasta (measured 2oz dry) and a 1/2 c Brownstone marinara (lowest sugar-for those who watch the real housewives of NJ Caroline Manzo's brand )

S-around 3pm 0% non fat plain greek yogurt with 2 tbsp PB2
S-around 8pm Ideal Protein unrestricted BBQ crisps and 4 tbsp PB2 and 4tbsp fat free cool whip (just discovered this-like ice cream)

I forgot to mention that I do track everything in My Fitness Pal. It is important to be accountable. I play with my food to be sure I am within range. I usually don't eat my exercise calories back but have if I'm extra hungry and it doesn't seem to hurt me.

Here is the cauliflower taco shell recipe:

You process a head of cauliflower

Microwave for 5-6 minutes stirring halfway through

Once done squeeze excess water with a cheesecloth or whatever you have. This really makes a difference, they stay together much better.

I add 2-3 eggs depending on the size of the head. You could use egg whites. I did during phase I. I add in Fat Free cheddar. A serving size is 1/4 cup but I just eyeball it since it is spread out among the whole head of cauliflower.

Bake at 400 for 15 minutes on parchment paper then flip and do another 15 minutes.
I have been making them and freezing them since it is sooo time consuming and they are fine.

Enjoy!!!![/QUOTE]

This is all incredibly helpful info. Thank you SO much! I'm going to make those tortillas on Monday.
Closed Thread