Old 03-16-2014, 02:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 244.4/238.6/165 dtd 3/3

Height: 5'3

Exclamation Gout sufferers and Ideal Protein Diet

Hi all,
I started IP on sunday Mar 9 2014. Till thursday, it was good, but the last 3 days have been painful in my ankles... I suffer from gout It has been killing.. Does anyone else suffer from gout and still does this high protein diet?
NJ_Desi_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 03:39 PM   #2  
Alt Product User

Height: 6'

Hi ... GUY,

Yep, my hubby has it too and he had some trouble in the beginning of us starting OP.

But we found that the foods you'll see listed on most gout lists, that say to limit the amount, we cut them out completely!

i.e. Asparagus & mushrooms & such ...

Search the internet[for Gout lists] and try to pick good veggies that you can eat. We do lots of broccoli, cauliflower, celery, pickles, jicama, wax turnips,peppers, green onion, salads, etc

I hope you feel better soon!

Last edited by NanDeNa; 03-16-2014 at 03:41 PM. Reason: [added what to search the internet for ...for Gout lists]
NanDeNa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 04:51 PM   #3  

Aha...Now I get it

But we found that the foods you'll see listed on most gout lists, that say to limit the amount, we cut them out completely!

i.e. Asparagus & mushrooms & such ...

I HAD ASPARAGUS ON THURSDAY.... No wonder!

Thanks a bunch for your input.. will stay away from that.

But what about Calcium supplements? That didn't worsen the attacks, did it?
Old 03-16-2014, 05:06 PM   #4  
Started IP May 17, 2013

S/C/G: 287/179/150

Height: 5'7.5"

Fyi, just for clarification: ip is a moderate protein and not high protein diet!

Good info there on the veggies!
Good journey! It works!
Annik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:24 PM   #5  
Alt Product User

Hello,

NJ_Desi_Guy, We started the calcium a few weeks into the process but he hasn't been having any troubles with the calcium, and a sidenote ... also, we both had high blood pressure BUT now we don't, we use the recommended salt amount. He feels good, We wish you much success with IP !

Annik,
Thanks ! Thanks, & Thanks!
BTW; Congratulations on your success ! I love that it works so well!

Many thanks to TFC!! This website and the users are so supportive!
Old 03-16-2014, 09:50 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annik View Post
Fyi, just for clarification: ip is a moderate protein and not high protein diet!

Good info there on the veggies!
Good journey! It works!
I see that your weight loss is not uniform through the weeks..

So, will it be up and down? and the average is 3.7lbs / wk.. is that the same for all people?
Old 03-17-2014, 08:00 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 233/233/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_Desi_Guy View Post

So, will it be up and down? and the average is 3.7lbs / wk.. is that the same for all people?
I do not have any advice on gout

But everyone will lose weight according to how their body works. You may lose 8lbs your first WI then lose 1.5 lbs your next and maybe none your 3rd (these are examples) I have been all over the map with my weight loss, along with some gains here and there. You need to plug away and you will be fine
sarahBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:33 AM   #8  
Started IP May 17, 2013

S/C/G: 287/179/150

Height: 5'7.5"

Quote:

SarahBell is right. Weight-loss happens on an individual basis. Sometimes it goes faster sometimes it goes more slowly... All along the way your body is making adjustments.

There is nothing that's really predictable or average except that if you stick to the protocol the program works.
Annik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:13 AM   #9  

Thanks for the additional info around how each body reacts differently to this diet... Will help me to grit it out when I might get into stone walling weeks..
for now, I gotta get out of this gout driven impasse...
Old 03-17-2014, 09:17 AM   #10  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

Op i was just reading up on your predicament. the people from ideal protein recommend you take a certain medication for the first month starting with A. Maybe you've got the info in your brochures. Or if you not maybe your advisor should know.

But i was searching gout and ideal protein because i was interested in this vegetable list mentioned above. Hopefully if you do the same you will find the same link.

Last edited by Pattience; 03-17-2014 at 09:18 AM.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:35 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattience View Post
Op i was just reading up on your predicament. the people from ideal protein recommend you take a certain medication for the first month starting with A. Maybe you've got the info in your brochures. Or if you not maybe your advisor should know.

But i was searching gout and ideal protein because i was interested in this vegetable list mentioned above. Hopefully if you do the same you will find the same link.
I was researching veggies & gout... this might help..
http://www.patient.co.uk/health/gout-diet-sheet

There are certain foods that are very high in purines and should be considerably limited, if not avoided completely. These include:

Meat Sources Liver, heart, kidney, sweetbreads, ox, game (eg, venison, rabbit), meat extracts (eg, stock cubes/gravies).
Fish Sources Anchovies, crab, fish roes, herring, mackerel, trout, sardines, shrimps, sprats, whitebait.
Other Sources Yeast and extracts, beer, asparagus, cauliflower, mushrooms, beans and peas, spinach.
Same thing echoed in this link.. but the spelling is a mess ...
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_s...avoid_for_gout
Old 03-17-2014, 02:48 PM   #12  

Quote:
I was researching veggies & gout... this might help..
http://www.patient.co.uk/health/gout-diet-sheet

There are certain foods that are very high in purines and should be considerably limited, if not avoided completely. These include:

Meat Sources Liver, heart, kidney, sweetbreads, ox, game (eg, venison, rabbit), meat extracts (eg, stock cubes/gravies).
Fish Sources Anchovies, crab, fish roes, herring, mackerel, trout, sardines, shrimps, sprats, whitebait.
Other Sources Yeast and extracts, beer, asparagus, cauliflower, mushrooms, beans and peas, spinach.
Same thing echoed in this link.. but the spelling is a mess ...
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_s...avoid_for_gout
I wish you the best with IP. I am sure that you can find things that work for you (food that is LOL)

ps. My hubby is Desi
Old 03-18-2014, 10:37 AM   #13  
Alt Product User

Hi NJ_Desi_Guy, Yes, good list & we do avoid spinach too. But cauliflower is still used in moderation. Hubby also eats Broccoli since it doesn't seem to bother him.

I think overall, when going through an attack, avoid ALL trigger foods. If the attack is so bad, see your doctor - they have medicine that will help. But When an attack returns, review the foods you've been eating. Eventually you will become more aware of what bothers you most! We've learned that shrimp & clams will trigger him off as well. It was a learning process for us and we hope we all get better at it

Wishing you good health!
Old 03-18-2014, 09:07 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahBell View Post
I wish you the best with IP. I am sure that you can find things that work for you (food that is LOL)

ps. My hubby is Desi
Wow... small world.. IS he on IP too? would like to know some Indian IP diet recipes...
Old 03-19-2014, 11:30 AM   #15  

Talking

Quote:
Wow... small world.. IS he on IP too? would like to know some Indian IP diet recipes...
Well he is from Pakistan. Both countires share a lot of the same style recipes. He decided not to do IP when he saw the packets LOL. He would rather eat like a person than an astronaut. He loves his food made fresh all the time. He has cut back on rice and bread (naans, chappatis, parathas , pakoras, samosas etc). So I am on this alone. Yesterday I made and froze 3 dozen shami kebabs, 18 parathas (half cooked)

I have stopped eating all most all foods from there because so many are fried or use fried onions (and changing things like biryani, pilau, aloo ghobi, rajma ) would not taste the same.

BUT we do grill out saji (sp??), chicken tikka, tandoor style chicken , lamb skewers. If I can modify some recipes I will give them to you. I seen on here a recipe posted for spicy indian style cabbage.

I am creative in the kitchen, and with warm temps coming I am going to get my grill cleaned up and ready to use! What meat (if any) do you eat so if I make something I can share it with you. Winter makes me want to make all kinds of soups, stews, comfort food NOT summer style food LOL.