Old 11-27-2013, 05:00 PM   #1  

Default Not sure if I should stop IP? (possible TMI)

Hi All,

I've been on Ideal Protein for 9.5 weeks and I've lost 17 pounds. I have two pounds to go to hit my goal. The problem is that at the 8 week mark I began to have terrible diarrhea (which is weird as I was constipated for the first 8 weeks). This is day 13 and it was terrible - after I ate my soup for lunch I was out of commission for the afternoon.

Maybe this has nothing to do with IP, but I'm starting to wonder? I've actually gained weight in the last few days but I suspect that is due to the huge amount of water I'm drinking to make up for the dehydration (my lips are super-chapped).

I've stopped taking the Cal Mag with no improvement, and I reduced my raw spinach. I don't want to be a quitter, but I also don't want to feel this sick. Help please!
sjerrott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 05:11 PM   #2  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjerrott View Post
Hi All,

I've been on Ideal Protein for 9.5 weeks and I've lost 17 pounds. I have two pounds to go to hit my goal. The problem is that at the 8 week mark I began to have terrible diarrhea (which is weird as I was constipated for the first 8 weeks). This is day 13 and it was terrible - after I ate my soup for lunch I was out of commission for the afternoon.

Maybe this has nothing to do with IP, but I'm starting to wonder? I've actually gained weight in the last few days but I suspect that is due to the huge amount of water I'm drinking to make up for the dehydration (my lips are super-chapped).

I've stopped taking the Cal Mag with no improvement, and I reduced my raw spinach. I don't want to be a quitter, but I also don't want to feel this sick. Help please!
You may have developed a sensitivity. Most likely to soy.
Try phasing off to phase 2 and only having soy-free products. See if that helps
Other possible sensitivities: Sucralose (Splenda) or whey.
Have you talked to your doctor?
I'd suggest THAT ASAP.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 05:24 PM   #3  
Started IP 5/13/13

S/C/G: 185/128/135

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

I had he same thing happen, as did my SIL. We both reduced our magnesium and it cleared up. If it isn't an issue with the soy, it could be supplements.
dak1lls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:43 PM   #4  
Serial Dieter

S/C/G: 320/278/200

Height: 6'3"

Soy just tears up my intestines. I didn't get RIGHT until I switched to a single IP product ... the Chocolate Drink ... which is milk/whey based. And stopped all IP products containing even the smallest amts of soy (which is most of them).

I also started taking a super pro-biotic and a colon cleanser product and now my intestinal track is so clean and healthy and regular -- it's unbelievable. It's truly "insanely great" (as Steve Jobs used to say).

Last edited by Avalon1957; 11-27-2013 at 07:45 PM.
Avalon1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:51 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 160/tracker/125

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon1957 View Post
Soy just tears up my intestines. I didn't get RIGHT until I switched to a single IP product ... the Chocolate Drink ... which is milk/whey based. And stopped all IP products containing even the smallest amts of soy (which is most of them).

I also started taking a super pro-biotic and a colon cleanser product and now my intestinal track is so clean and healthy and regular -- it's unbelievable. It's truly "insanely great" (as Steve Jobs used to say).
Avalon, can you PM me what pro-biotic you are taking please.
masenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:34 PM   #6  
Serial Dieter

S/C/G: 320/278/200

Height: 6'3"

These are the best Pro-biotics out there (I have tried a number). Lesser strength had 0 impact with me.

I took this for a week (there are just 7 packets in the box).

Then switched to this for "maintenance". Two pills a day in the morning for a couple of weeks. Now I am down to 1 pill a day.

You can google it. Amazon has it, or most good health food stores. You should refrigerate it.

I also started taking this fiber product. There are a tiny amount of carbs in this product, but tons of soluble and insoluble fiber. You take a heaping tsp. mixed with water every day.

This is a tremendous 1-2 punch.
No constipation and regular and clean.
I am actually losing weight better (faster) since I started taking both of these products.
Finally after 4 months on IP, my intestinal tract is working perfectly.

Last edited by Avalon1957; 11-28-2013 at 04:27 AM.
Avalon1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:53 PM   #7  
AmberLS

S/C/G: High 298, IP-250/182/165

Height: 5ft 5in

Posting a reply because I'm having terrible stomach cramping and diarrhea, this is the 3rd time in 8 days, I thought I was just having a stomach bug the first time, but then was fine for a couple days, it came back, fine a couple days and now it's back. My stomach gets all gurgley, it hurts and cramps, I get SUPER SUPER gassy and have diarrhea and it's bad for a couple hours then fine as long as I don't eat.
AmberLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:25 PM   #8  
Started IP on 3/1/2014

S/C/G: 237.5/207.5/140

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberLS View Post
Posting a reply because I'm having terrible stomach cramping and diarrhea, this is the 3rd time in 8 days, I thought I was just having a stomach bug the first time, but then was fine for a couple days, it came back, fine a couple days and now it's back. My stomach gets all gurgley, it hurts and cramps, I get SUPER SUPER gassy and have diarrhea and it's bad for a couple hours then fine as long as I don't eat.
Probiotics are wonderful for getting rid of gas & they help keep your digestive tract happy

I take Schiff Digestive Advantage every day, and it's great! I used to take the Renew Life brand probiotic, but it actually GAVE me gas. I think everyone's system is different, but I have tried many brands, and so far, the Schiff Digestive Advantage is the best.

Maybe try a few to see what works best for you... it's kind of a trial and error thing.

Good luck!
karkrazy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:14 AM   #9  

Amber
Some if the earlier poster suggested Soy, sucralose, or the supplements. These people are on the right track. Experiment with cutting both soy and all added sucralose. If it goes away then your supplements are probably fine. If not, magnesium could be the culprit & just changing type ( instead if citrate, try chelate it taurate, for example)

Enzymes are hugely helpful for existing problems. Since yours sounds new, try eliminating/slowly re-adding possible culprits.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:33 AM   #10  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

Go see your doctor and contact the makers of the products.

A natural no cal laxative is psyllium fibre. I used to take it because my antidepressants medication causes constipation. Just one spoon a day mixed with water till it becomes a gel. It gets boring after a while but it works and it unless you take too much of it, it won't hurt you. When you first take it, its better to take a small amount because i can cause a little bit of tummy upset the first time or two.

This is a soluble fibre which means it holds water in the small intestine unlike the insoluble fibres like bran.

I didn't use it anymore because i'm eating more fibre in my diet. Here you can buy it at the supermarket. So its a lot cheaper than anything in a bottle.

Last edited by Pattience; 03-23-2014 at 07:41 AM.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:35 AM   #11  
AmberLS

I will try some adjustments. Its just so weird that it comes on, then goes. The first culprit I'm testing is the WF salad dressing cause it seems to correlate with eating. It hits about 2 hours after I eat, lasts awhile then is gone. Today I feel great again. I hope it's not the splenda, I guess it could be because I have added the use of mio to my water, it's been a nice flavor changer.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:50 AM   #12  

S/C/G: pre IP 173/IP 166/150/145

Height: 5'6"

One other possibility is sensitivity to sugar alcohols (although I don't think this would apply to the soups). Some people are very sensitive to these (myself included) and can result in an almost instantaneous flushing out!
Pukka8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:46 PM   #13  
AmberLS

Well I'm wondering if the sucralose can affect later, I didn't start using it regularly with mio until after it started the first time. I had the tummy problem and I used hot tea with splenda to drink and added mio to my water cause sometimes when your sick it's nice to have flavor. The first day it happened all I had that day was cabbage and beef.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:47 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberLS View Post
Well I'm wondering if the sucralose can affect later, I didn't start using it regularly with mio until after it started the first time. I had the tummy problem and I used hot tea with splenda to drink and added mio to my water cause sometimes when your sick it's nice to have flavor. The first day it happened all I had that day was cabbage and beef.
My DH had tummy probs and is still having D problems off & on two weeks later! It could just be a hanger-on from that, as well.

So many variables!

Last edited by lisa32989; 03-23-2014 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:49 PM   #15  
AmberLS

I know lol, its hard to say, hoping it passes and this was it. So off and on, just weird. We'll see, still losing and staying op so that's good news.