Old 03-21-2014, 04:14 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 227/168/180

Height: 5' 9"

Default Goal Questions

Hi ya'll,

I haven't been active on the boards in a while, mostly because I've been so busy. But I wondered if you all would help me with a couple of questions about how you determined your goal weight. I started with a goal of 180lbs, which I reach quite a few weeks ago. The program is working so well for me I decided to continue. So now I can't quite figure out where to stop. About 3 weeks ago, I added dairy back into my diet in sparing amounts. I don't go to a coach anymore so I'm not sure what phase this would put me in....maybe P3? Although I haven't added fruit and I'm still using two IP packets per day.

I apologize if there is another thread discussing this topic, but how did ya'll decide when you were good with your new weight? My BMI is just within the "healthy weight" range. I've gone from a size 16/18 to a size 12. I feel great, and have loved buying a new wardrobe. But I still wish I could lose a little more around my torso. Or maybe just firm everything up a little.

I originally set my goal at 180 because I couldn't fathom losing more than that! My coach (who I went to at the beginning) suggested that we would work on the goal later and didn't seem to think it was that important at the time.

Also, how can you get your body fat percentage measured? My clinic didn't have a scale that measured that. Would body fat percentage be a better tool than BMI?

One thing is clear to me.....losing a lot of weight at 50 years old leaves your body a lot different than it did when I was younger. Although I've never lost this much weight in my life. I weigh the least I've weighed since I was in college.

i would love to have your insights on how you determined your goal.
fishnchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:02 PM   #2  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

Hi there. First up you can google your "healthy weight range". Its based on your height and gender basically. I'm 5'4" my healthy weight range is 68kg - 55kg (x 2.2 to convert to pounds or use a conversion calculator). I generally find when i'm still near the upper end of my healthy weight range, i still feel fat. And certainly because my skin is not taut, the fat doesn't look too good. But when i get down to the bottom of my HWR, i feel gorgeous. My skin is still loose but there is not much fat showing at all but its impossible to look smooth and perfect as we did when younger, not just because of age but also because of the way we've stretched our skin. Both of these factors have a lot to do with it. Its more subtle in young people. When i run is when i am most aware of the loose skin because i can see the skin on my thighs shaking in a fairly ugly way. I think i will run in tights from now on as much as possible.

Actually at the bottom end of my healthy weight range, i probably look a bit too skinny in certain parts of my body. Because of age and sun damage as well, my face doesn't look its best. I tend to get a bit skinny up the top half of my body. I don't mind having no tits but i like having a small bottom and slimmer thighs.

To measure your body fat percentage there are online calculators. I remember doing that last time but i don't think its worth worrying about it too much. But if you are just curious, you can figure it out. There are several different ways its measure and probably you'd want to find one that's tailored to your body type as giving the most accurate reading so try a few of them and then you will have a range of what it could be.

I think a fairly good spot to aim for is the middle end of the lower HWR. When i am at 60kg i feel pretty good. I can wear anything. I say that because last time i aimed for the lower end and got there.

If you get too skinny, it becomes hard to maintain the weight and the risk of rebounding increases. Its also worth mentioning that some people are never going to be satisfied with their bodies at any weight. So its worth working on acceptance. Have a look at photos of when you were larger and pat appreciate the difference. Notice other people around your weight who look good.

If you are going to go lower, do it fairly slowly and in stages. Stop every now and then to stabilise your weight. It should reduce your chances of a rebound. What i mean by rebound is when the body starts to fight against your weight loss. Its a hormonal thing. I think the only way to beat it is to exercise a lot. But that's hard to sustain for a lot of people, including myself. Its your hormones that start to make you very hungry. And once you experience that it seems to be very hard to stop it from taking over your weight and pushing you back to your starting weight. So i think that staging and stabilising for a while (don't really know how long) is a good idea.

In an article i was reading recently they suggested having a high calorie meal once a week to help confuse the hormone producers involved. The hormone is leptin. I tried to do that last night. But i found while it was probably higher than usual, it wasn't through the roof calories either. I'd be careful to avoid eating any binge triggering foods just incase, if you have that tendency. Keep the meal well balanced nutritionally.

Last edited by Pattience; 03-21-2014 at 06:03 PM.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:02 PM   #3  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Here are some facts to consider:

You're at a weight where you can be very healthy now.

Bodyfat percentage means very little and BMI is meaningless.

Diet and lifestyle determine health at your weight and smaller. Moderate exercise 3 times a week and stress regulation combined with a solid diet is really the keys to health.

Where I am going with this is that any weight you lose now is just for vanitys sake. What is interesting is that the last few lbs are the ones that make the most difference when it comes to how we look. Going to 160 will probably do more for how you look than 220 to 180 did.

My advice is that if you want to lose more, go ahead and do it. I would speculate that unless you have some unusual genetics it shouldn't be too hard to get to 160. After that I think you'll start to find it a bit more challenging but I could be wrong about either of these.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:48 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 227/168/180

Height: 5' 9"

Great feedback. Thanks for bringing up some things it haven't considered. Especially losing in stages. And the thought that BMI is meaningless. I will have to noodle on that. If I'm being honest I would say that I would like to see more of my collarbones. I really wish we could choose what part of the body we loss weight from. I've always carried weight in my upper body.

Thanks again y'all.
fishnchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:27 AM   #5  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

I think BMI is useful for most people. It gives a broad guideline as to what will work for the majority of people.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:23 PM   #6  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattience View Post
I think BMI is useful for most people. It gives a broad guideline as to what will work for the majority of people.
How is BMI useful for the OP?

The only thing it is good for at all is helping someone who is getting started to pick a initial goal weight.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:53 PM   #7  

The Dukan Diet calculator may actually be more helpful in choosing a goal weight than the outdated BMI. Dukan takes gender, age, highest weight, and amount of time overweight all into consideration. Formerly overweight people are different than never overweight in many ways. Many are finding they can't eat the same number of calories/micronutritients and maintain as their never overweight counterparts.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:26 PM   #8  
maintaining since 9/2013

I used a weight range in which I felt well decades ago. It's turned out to be the same now--140-145. It took some trial and error to realize that, and also to figure out a WOE to maintain it.

I work in a health profession and BMI, right or wrong, is what's used as one variable to classify patients as to surgical and especially anesthesia risks. Mostly it's a question of which broad category someone falls into, i.e. morbidly obese vs. overweight, etc. It's a quick way to alert a provider about an extra risk factor that may be missed by using weight alone, as is often the case.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote