Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 03:50 AM   #1  

Arrow IP Daily Chat

Welcome back to the Daily Chat thread - post your plans for today, share what's been happening, ask questions!

Some forum lingo:
NSV = Non-scale victory
TOM = time of the month
WI = Weigh-in
WF = Walden Farms
OP = on plan

Bookmarking:
Ideal Protein Sub-forum Home page
Consider making it a bookmark or a favorite in your browser so you can come back easily to get your RDA of Ideal Protein information.

Information for newbies:
Check the sticky page (top of forum, above all the topics) for lots of good information and please read here before asking what might be a frequently asked question: Information on Ideal Protein phases (1-4), IP Ultimate List Recipes, FAQ, Newbie Guide, Exercise, and other Important Threads,
and here are the most recent Ideal Protein Protocol sheets

And before you cheat, read this thread:
The Real Cost of Cheating on Ideal Protein

Before starting new threads: spend some time reading the forum. Most new threads are duplicates, triplicates, quadruplicates. Folks who are the most successful, make time for research/reading.

More Recipes Here Mix'n in the kitchen...Recipes from the Rainbow
MiX'N' iN THE KiTCH'N.... Recipes from the Rainbow Volume 2
Fun with Ideal Protein Packets
Fun with Veggie Purees!
Ideal Protein Diet Recipes #4
Tips and Recipes from the Incredible Weight Loss Center

For those looking for alternative products

Here is a thread with tons of info. Spend some time in it. http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...phase-1-a.html
And here is a link to a chart to help you choose appropriate products

Tickers and Signatures:
There are 2 requirements to have access to signatures and tickers. You must have been a member of 3fatchicks for 20 days AND posted at least 20 messages anywhere on the 3fatchicks forum. When you've met those requirements check The Ultimate Signature and Ticker Thread for more information and instructions.

Quoting:
The best quoting tip - EVER!! Thanks Rosie, aka 6710.

Searching:
If you can't find what you're looking for in this forum using the website search function, try using the "double search" using Google.

1) Go to Google.com. Search 3fatchicks by using the term site:3fatchicks.com at the end of your Google search.

For example, if you want to look for "big mac in a bowl", type "big mac in a bowl site:3fatchicks.com" in Google search. No need to include the quotation marks when you type.

2) This will bring up the page that you are looking for, now hit Ctrl+F to search on that page. Type "big mac in a bowl" and all instances of that search term will be highlighted.

Progress photos
Mini-Goal Photo Album.

Other helpful links related to the Ideal Protein Dr. Chanh Tran Tien's website
Old 03-21-2014, 04:11 AM   #2  

Hi all.
SUUUPER busy day yesterday.
I saw some things I wanted to comment on. I have no idea why I'm awake in the middle of the nite but I got up b/c I couldn't sleep (still dealing with adrenal fatigue, I believe)

Scale Discouragement: The scale is only one measure of fat loss. It measures our entire weight. As your body loses fat, it holds water for a bit & then whoosh the water flushes away. Those of us with large weight losses have gotten very used to the ebbs and flows of the scale. Make peace with it to get thru your IP journey with less stress in your life.

Our first reaction is to "do something!" to fix it. A week or two with no change is a normal part of the weigh loss journey. Some folks rarely experience it but most have many bouts with it. Unless you are super carb resistant, there is no reason to try to "hack" the IP plan to move things along faster. This is just your body shifting. The weight will move if you stay the course. A true plateau would be at least 4 weeks of no change. Many weight loss experts say 4-6 weeks of no change of measurements or scale.

Also know those body scan scales they use at clinics are inaccurate as all get-out. There are only a few ways to accurately measure fat, water, lean mass, etc. But also know lean mass isn't just muscle. It is EVERYTHING in your body that isn't fat: skin, bones, blood, blood vessels, connective tissues, organs, EVERYTHING. As we lose weight, our body sheds some of the excess of those things it doesn't need anymore. Some lean mass loss is expected.

Being cold: Yup! This is very common. And a common answer is we're losing our insulation. This isn't entirely true. What is happening is our metabolism is shifting as our body adapts to the changes we've made (and our bodies naturally try to slow the weight loss - it is a natural protection reaction). So, our metabolisms shift and slow a bit. This can temporarily throw off the thyroid. And a few people end up with longer-term thyroid probelms so be sure to keep it monitored if you get hypothyroid symptoms. Cold is one of them. Google for more.

Heartburn: The digestive enzymes have changed my life! I was on a PPI med for GERD for a LONG time (they are designed to be short-term medications). I did much research last summer and got myself off of them, even with the rebound effect that happens when you stop taking them. I first switched to a different type of acid reducer and then weaned myself off of that, all the while doing all the things to heal my gut. This literally took almost as long as losing 95 lbs did!

Surgery: I knew Ruth Ann would chime in & I knew she had good advice as one who had been through it. Low carb, per se, would not be contraindicated for surgery. Only from doctors who know too little about diet and nutrition and only believe the mainstream diet & nutrition info. Low fat is probably the thing I would change. The more I read about our "low fat culture" making us sicker, the more I'm learning how healthy (good) fats are for us - even saturated fat, especially when we keep all the starches and sugars out.

Trishlo73 (veggie hater): Look at the first post of this thread and click the veggie puree thread. Lots ways to hide veggies in that thread, including soups and smoothies!

Someone asked about the weight tracker. Info about that is in the first post of this thread, as well.

Last edited by lisa32989; 03-21-2014 at 04:14 AM.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:03 AM   #3  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Good morning Lisa - I really didn't not want to be up at 3:30 in the morning so I feel for you! But is 3:30 the middle of the night or early morning?

Good stuff up there. Especially about the scale. I think I've used the scale at my coach's office that shows the lean/fat ratio twice - I just don't think they can be very accurate and don't see the point. I suppose if I had been doing it from the beginning it might be good information just to show a downward trend.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:33 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 233/233/130

Height: 5'4"

Ok I am down another 2.6 lbs!!! Today I am going to try on my size 14s and see if they are still to tight in the thighs for my liking
Old 03-21-2014, 07:45 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahBell View Post
Ok I am down another 2.6 lbs!!! Today I am going to try on my size 14s and see if they are still to tight in the thighs for my liking
Great job and hoping the 14s are comfy!!
Old 03-21-2014, 08:13 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 244/223/160

Height: 5ft 4in.

Good afternoon everyone. My weigh in today and I'm down 1lb. During the week (daily weigher) i was down to 218!! But today it is 220!!! I have had some odd health problems this week resulting in swollen and sore hands. The doctor told me I had an allergic reaction to something, to take antihistamine. It is getting better slowly so I reckon the weight is fluid retention. Hoping for a larger loss next week. I wasn't taking my supplements properly/at all and this is week 3 so yesterday I went out and bought my vitamins and minerals. Lesson learned. Happy Friday everyone.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:55 AM   #7  
AmberLS

S/C/G: High 298, IP-250/182/165

Height: 5ft 5in

YAYAYAYA I hit 20lbs today!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-21-2014, 08:56 AM   #8  
Restarted IP 03/23/2015

S/C/G: 171/134.2/140

Height: 5'2", 56 yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post

Surgery: I knew Ruth Ann would chime in & I knew she had good advice as one who had been through it. Low carb, per se, would not be contraindicated for surgery. Only from doctors who know too little about diet and nutrition and only believe the mainstream diet & nutrition info. Low fat is probably the thing I would change. The more I read about our "low fat culture" making us sicker, the more I'm learning how healthy (good) fats are for us - even saturated fat, especially when we keep all the starches and sugars out.
Thank you for the great information in this post, Lisa. You are so knowledgeable and patient to share what you've learned! Thank you too Ruth Ann for your comments on the surgery question. In thinking about it, I would really like to continue with P1 and push my goal up another 10 lbs. I will have a pre-op visit before the date, so I can do some checking on the food then, and plan out my IP food. I will ask about adding protein for post-op healing (good tip Ruth Ann). Lisa, how would you change the fat? Any thoughts on what and how much to add? I will also ask my coach next visit. I'm thinking this is doable.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:04 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 255/236.20/150

NSV!! i am wearing my wedding ring set this morning! I have not worn them in several years because they had gotten too small and I just refused to get them enlarged.

On another note, my face seems to be puffier. My CPAP is leaving ridges in my face and it takes an hour or so to go away after waking. I am following protocol 100%, drinking about 12-15 servings per day, using my ID salt...
Old 03-21-2014, 09:41 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 202/161/130

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberLS View Post
Woooo! Way to go sista!!! Isn't that an amazing feeling? Yesterday I went threw my closet and got rid of all of my x-large shirts....FOREVER!!!!
Old 03-21-2014, 10:17 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 233/233/130

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberLS View Post
whoo hooo!!!
Old 03-21-2014, 10:19 AM   #12  
Started IP 04/22/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RA 2 View Post
Thank you for the great information in this post, Lisa. You are so knowledgeable and patient to share what you've learned! Thank you too Ruth Ann for your comments on the surgery question. In thinking about it, I would really like to continue with P1 and push my goal up another 10 lbs. I will have a pre-op visit before the date, so I can do some checking on the food then, and plan out my IP food. I will ask about adding protein for post-op healing (good tip Ruth Ann). Lisa, how would you change the fat? Any thoughts on what and how much to add? I will also ask my coach next visit. I'm thinking this is doable.
Just remember RA 2 - do NOT step on the scale the day after surgery if you're easily freaked out about the number! I did it and saw a 6 or 8 lb gain overnight. Of course it was gone in just a few days but it was not a good idea to weigh myself right after surgery!
Old 03-21-2014, 10:35 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 328.2/205/178

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RA 2 View Post
The one thing I'd add about surgery is that you don't want to be in ketosis during your surgery - it's just too hard on your organs. This is why most coaches would/should recommend a brief phasing out before the actual surgery date.

Your liver and kidneys work extra hard during ketosis and they are the same organs that process the anesthetic out of your system post surgery so it puts a serious strain on them. And since your body will already be working hard enough to heal and repair from the surgery itself you don't want to strain it any more than it already will be.

Good luck!!
Old 03-21-2014, 10:36 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 230.4/209.2/120

Height: 5'2"

Morning ladies, I have my WI today & I'm nervous. I was pretty ill last week & fell off the wagon. I should hit ketosis this weekend since I've been 100% OP since I've recovered.

I had the vanilla pudding mix for breakfast this morning with 10 oz of water & some ice blended with some WF strawberry sauce & man it was yummy!

Last edited by qtpiemels; 03-21-2014 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:51 AM   #15  
Started IP 04/22/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPdivajen View Post
The one thing I'd add about surgery is that you don't want to be in ketosis during your surgery - it's just too hard on your organs. This is why most coaches would/should recommend a brief phasing out before the actual surgery date.

Your liver and kidneys work extra hard during ketosis and they are the same organs that process the anesthetic out of your system post surgery so it puts a serious strain on them. And since your body will already be working hard enough to heal and repair from the surgery itself you don't want to strain it any more than it already will be.

Good luck!!
My surgeon and anesthesiologist had no problems with me being in ketosis for either surgery and I healed just fine (except for the stitch the surgeon managed to get right on a nerve!).

I think discussing it with the surgeon and anesthesiologist is probably the best route to go and follow whatever they recommend.
Closed Thread