Old 03-16-2014, 10:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 195.4/173.8/129

Height: 5' 5"

Default Anxiety...maybe from hypoglycemia???

I'm 12 days into IP. First week was super hard dealing with cravings, hunger, headaches, muscle aches, etc...but at around Day 6, most of that went away. I have been 100% OP...even keeping track of what I eat on my online food journal, taking all my supplements (extra salt for headaches), and more than the water required every single day.

But starting around Day 9, I have been feeling pretty terrible. My legs and arms feel very restless, anxiety, mild heart palpitations. I haven't strayed from OP (except for this afternoon at a St. Patrick's Day party where I'm sure I ate more than 8 oz of meat, but good on the veggies...and no other food was consumed). It almost seems I feel better after eating a little extra.

I used to get "anxiety" but later found out through my doctor that I am hypoglycemic. I was hoping going IP would prevent this from happening.

Anyone else have/had any issues like this?

Thanks,
Pauline
HulaChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:04 AM   #2  
maintaining since 9/2013

I would check in with my doc for those symptoms and then my coach. If eating resolves it, you may be correct that it's hypoglycemia, but better to be safe. My coach said it takes about 1 month for ketosis to become firmly established, so if it's hypoglycemia, your body may still be adjusting.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:52 AM   #3  

Definitely check with your doctor.

These can also be Ketosis symptoms but make sure by getting a clean bill of health! Do you have a blood glucose meter? It would answer they hyp question for you.

Unfortunately, I'm not one to send you to your coach b/c so many are so poorly trained. Without knowing more about your particular coach, that could be not so great advise.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:24 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 325/312/190

Height: 5'6

Hi Pauline,

I don't really have any words of advice, but I'm sorry that you are going through this. It sounds difficult and hope that it resolves soon.
1LittleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:42 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 178/155/140

Height: 5'4"

WRT the heart palpitations, I had them as well for the first couple of weeks. Just little flutters a few times a day. At the time I was a bit worried. They did go away, I'd say within 2 weeks of being OP.

Not suggesting you dismiss the palpitations, as only you know how you feel, and certainly your heart isn't something you want to mess around with. Just sharing my experience.
trinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:32 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 165.5/146/135 or size 4

Height: 5'5''

I would go to the doctor too, see if you can get a blood glucose monitor so you can test at home when you're not feeling well. You might also want to invest in a blood pressure cuff. Some of what you're describing sounds like low blood pressure. I usually get anxious and jittery when I have too many carbs but a couple of times I've gotten a little panicky when blood sugar was a bit low. In those instances I have a restricted item and usually feel better after.
Good luck
wantanewme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:52 PM   #7  

I experienced the same things as you and deal with general anxiety and panic disorder so I found that initially they were amplified on IP. I really think it was physical (I was definitely hungry at times) on top of one of my coping mechanisms being taken away (food) and it was uncomfortable at times. On my most recent reboot which was 30 days of phase 1 when I only had to kick off a few lbs, I felt like I had nearly zero anxiety and was feeling awesome mentally and physically.

I hope you feel better.
eandc2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:55 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 195.4/173.8/129

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandc2006 View Post
I experienced the same things as you and deal with general anxiety and panic disorder so I found that initially they were amplified on IP. I really think it was physical (I was definitely hungry at times) on top of one of my coping mechanisms being taken away (food) and it was uncomfortable at times. On my most recent reboot which was 30 days of phase 1 when I only had to kick off a few lbs, I felt like I had nearly zero anxiety and was feeling awesome mentally and physically.

I hope you feel better.
Thank you for the support. It's hard dealing anxiety. I've had 2 holters, 3 treadmill tests and a CT of my heart over the last 2 years, so I think that's ok. I do feel super hungry at times,then right after that, my heart starts to skip. From what I understand, the stress hormones increase when blood sugar drops too low. I have an extremely sensitive body...to everything from smells, chemicals, sugars, carbs, etc... This only started about a year and a half ago.
HulaChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:12 PM   #9  

I hear you on the body sensitivity thing. I am borderline hypochondriac and whenever I feel something "strange" I immediately think the worst.

While I am no doctor, I can say that my body had all sorts of strange things happen on phase 1. I know a friend who was hypo and she did phase 2 the entire time b/c she just felt plain awful on phase 1. Have you tried adding a hard boiled egg? I did that almost the entire time on my reboot (maybe that's why I felt better) and it never messed with my losses.

Good luck to you and keep us in the loop.
eandc2006 is offline   Reply With Quote