3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   I hate salad! (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/293747-i-hate-salad.html)

Mulse 03-13-2014 08:55 PM

I hate salad!

I am doing the alternative IP plan but am really struggling with the amount of salad I'm supposed to eat. Don't get me wrong - I love cucumbers, celery, bell peppers, etc. but I just cannot stand eating a salad. I don't like the taste or texture of lettuce or spinach.

I'm not sure how to address this. Can I just eat the veggies that I would put into a salad without eating the actual lettuce/spinach and that's sufficient? Am I alone in my disdain for salad? What do you all do?

ColoradoCarol 03-13-2014 09:08 PM

I don't like salad very much either. My coaches really promote eating 4+ cups of lettuce per day. She gave a technique/recipe for putting it in a shake:

2 cups romaine
1 packet IP wildberry yogurt drink
2tablespoons WF marshmallow dip
Mix above in blender then add 5 Ice cubes

I do this for breakfast and lunch.

I have heard other people use other drinks and then add lettuce and blend in the blender.

Hope this helps.

Ruth Ann 03-13-2014 09:14 PM

I don't eat a lot of salads - I use the lettuce as "filler" for munching on when I get the "need to put something in my mouth" feeling. I eat the veggies separate.

Lettuce is unlimited and optional - some people do IP/alternatives without it. If you aren't have any issues (the water in lettuce can help with the Big C) I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Is it all lettuce you don't like or just specific ones? Iceberg, romaine, bibb, etc. all have different textures and tastes.

ColoradoCarol 03-13-2014 09:21 PM

Ruth Ann - my coaches promote romaine. I have a continual problem with the big C. The clinic director (chiro). Feels lettuce is key to getting the weight off quicker. You have done well without using it.

I am willing to try the 4+ cups per day if it will come off sooner:)

JLUS 03-13-2014 09:31 PM

It seems in general there are LOTS of benefits to adding the free lettuce in addition to the 4 cups of veggies. It also seems that eating it often results in bigger losses for some people (not all)... BUT, it is not a required component of IP protocol.

You may find that over time your taste for it might change, so don't rule it out completely forever.

Mulse 03-13-2014 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruth Ann (Post 4962816)
Is it all lettuce you don't like or just specific ones? Iceberg, romaine, bibb, etc. all have different textures and tastes.

I can stand romaine more than the others, but before IP it was always coated in a thick, creamy salad dressing :D

I guess I'll just suck it up (I prefer larger losses to the smaller ones ;) )

trinny 03-13-2014 10:13 PM

I've been adding jarred banana peppers to my salads and it's been transformative. They are salty, tangy, and make a huge difference in my enjoyment of the salad, as do finely sliced red onions. I think I'd be done with salads by now if it weren't for those two ingredients, but I actually look forward to my lunchtime salad every day.

Fearciuil 03-13-2014 10:38 PM

Hey, Mulse, I'm right there with you. I just started last week and it didn't take more than a couple of days of eating salads to feel like those 4 cups of veggies per day were enough to choke a horse! So I've been looking for alternatives; zucchini chips are working and I can eat them a cup at a time, no problem. I also enlisted the help of the two vegetarians I work with--asked them for their favorite recipes. One asked what restrictions I'm under, so I emailed him the P1 profile sheet. I'll post recipes to the recipe thread when/if I get anything.

Oh, one thing I tried for lunch today with the chicken soup packet, at someone else's suggestion (probably someone here): I broke up 1 cup of broccoli florets into pretty small pieces and microwave-steamed them, then threw them in the chicken soup. Worked well, and I only needed one more cup of veg for that meal.

I'm still looking for interesting veg ideas, though. Purees look promising, if I can get my blender to puree things completely, and maybe a roasted-pepper-and-raw-onion salsa (I live somewhere with good Mexican food, and I'm already starting to miss it!)

As far as lettuce, my coach definitely told me it was optional, so I don't eat much of it. Romaine leaves as fajita shells have been about it so far.

Ruth Ann 03-13-2014 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColoradoCarol (Post 4962818)
Ruth Ann - my coaches promote romaine. I have a continual problem with the big C. The clinic director (chiro). Feels lettuce is key to getting the weight off quicker. You have done well without using it.

I am willing to try the 4+ cups per day if it will come off sooner:)

Oh, I'm eating lettuce Carol just not as a salad. I have a tupperware container that I fill up with lettuce in the morning and then snack on it in the afternoon (that's my really hard time) at work. I probably get in 3-4 cups of it a day. I kind of slack on it on the weekends, for some reason I don't get the snack urge when I'm at home. Go figure.

AmberLS 03-13-2014 10:53 PM

First what is the Big C? And second I don't eat a bunch of lettuce every day, I too did it during transition days as a filler, now the only time I eat it is for lettuce wraps with dinner. It is my understanding that it is not a must but it is unlimited so if a person is hungry. I just haven't found a dressing I like, I'm a huge ranch fan so not doing well with the salad part. I love veggies though!

amandie 03-13-2014 11:11 PM

AmberLS- Big C is constipation. :)

joysh 03-14-2014 12:21 AM

I sometimes add a kosher dill pickle to my salad for a different flavor.

Also, I sautee fresh garlic, chopped red and green peppers, and mushrooms in some evoo at lunchtime. Salt and pepper. Then I pour the IP mixed soup on top of that right into the frying pan. I love this with the broc-cheese soup, the chicken soup (I add curry powder to this one), the leek soup, and the a la king potage mix (more curry powder). This way I get 1 cup of veggies in it and it's thick with goodies.

Try romaine lettuce. If you still don't like it, wait a month then try it again. I found that my taste buds changed as I continued on the diet.

sarahBell 03-14-2014 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mulse (Post 4962838)
I can stand romaine more than the others, but before IP it was always coated in a thick, creamy salad dressing :D

I guess I'll just suck it up (I prefer larger losses to the smaller ones ;) )

You can make the following salad dressing recipe ( I LOVE it and no longer buy WF which I cant stand)

1/3 c apple cider vinegar
1 shallot minced
1 egg white
1 tsp. Dijon or spicy mustard
Juice from half a lemon or line (optional)
1/1 to 1 full packet splenda or sweetener
1 c EVOO

In the blender mix all the ingredients EXCEPT the EVOO for abt 3-5 mins. Slowly add in the EVOO your dressing will be this thick and creamy super yummy emulsion that you can dip anything in :twirly:

This can help the no taste of lettuce trust me. I LOVE salad and all the good stuff in it so I am good!

AmberLS 03-14-2014 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amandie (Post 4962879)
AmberLS- Big C is constipation. :)

Well that makes sense, I've been lucky to avoid this! :dizzy:

murphypuppy 03-14-2014 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trinny (Post 4962844)
I've been adding jarred banana peppers to my salads and it's been transformative. They are salty, tangy, and make a huge difference in my enjoyment of the salad, as do finely sliced red onions. I think I'd be done with salads by now if it weren't for those two ingredients, but I actually look forward to my lunchtime salad every day.

This is a great idea!