3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   I hate salad! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/293747-i-hate-salad.html)

mckaren4 05-05-2014 12:34 PM

I like to eat my veggies cooked with 2 egg whites in an omlet
(I make it then take it in a thermos for lunch)
I also add spinach to my drinks to make a green smoothie.

65X65 05-05-2014 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momotrips3 (Post 4998352)
I don't hate salad, but the dressings are all too runny or too sweet or sour. I can't seem to find or make one that tastes really good. I literally have to choke the stuff down. Gag. Also, veggies, sigh. I wish green beans weren't so restricted. I also really miss carrots. Broccoli is my favorite and so is cucumber, but do they cause as much upper GI problems for anyone else? I will be trying some of these recipes for sure.

For all who hate veggies and choke down salads...At some point you need to have a selfie-reality check session...these are foods that must be part of your life forever after. Not negotiable in most cases for someone with a weight issue..

In fact...you need to replace some of the things you used to eat too much of with these choices on going...even after P1-2- and 3. They must be a major piece of P4 maintenance. Or you will gain it all back. These are the good carbs. The ones that will "run your machine" so to speak. When you get to maintenance if you add foods that are high in carbohydrates and more calorie dense, you will gain your weight back...and possibly VERY quickly. You need to assess how carb sensitive you are. Most who are finally able to lose weight on this protocol are very carb sensitive and have to make life long changes.

Your tastes CAN change...and after you rid your body of the effects of carbo-rich foods and meals...take the opportunity to redirect your taste to things that will allow you to eat what you need for nutritional benefits...(OK..some fun stuff...OCCASSIONALLY. Not everyday. Ever again.)....

It all has to start in your head though.... what do you really want? This is real and it may be your only reality when it comes to how you eat in the furture... So while on P-1 &2, you have the chance to reinvent yourself.

Good luck...You can do this...a lot of us have had to do this.

64peppergirl 05-05-2014 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trinny (Post 4962844)
I've been adding jarred banana peppers to my salads and it's been transformative. They are salty, tangy, and make a huge difference in my enjoyment of the salad, as do finely sliced red onions. I think I'd be done with salads by now if it weren't for those two ingredients, but I actually look forward to my lunchtime salad every day.

Ditto!!! I also recently discovered how the jarred banana peppers really bump up the taste of a salad. I also make sure to finely chop everything together into a chopped salad. That makes it taste even better to me.

ChipnDip 05-05-2014 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65X65 (Post 4998364)
For all who hate veggies and choke down salads...At some point you need to have a selfie-reality check session...these are foods that must be part of your life forever after. Not negotiable in most cases for someone with a weight issue..

In fact...you need to replace some of the things you used to eat too much of with these choices on going...even after P1-2- and 3. They must be a major piece of P4 maintenance. Or you will gain it all back. These are the good carbs. The ones that will "run your machine" so to speak. When you get to maintenance if you add foods that are high in carbohydrates and more calorie dense, you will gain your weight back...and possibly VERY quickly. You need to assess how carb sensitive you are. Most who are finally able to lose weight on this protocol are very carb sensitive and have to make life long changes.

Your tastes CAN change...and after you rid your body of the effects of carbo-rich foods and meals...take the opportunity to redirect your taste to things that will allow you to eat what you need for nutritional benefits...(OK..some fun stuff...OCCASSIONALLY. Not everyday. Ever again.)....

It all has to start in your head though.... what do you really want? This is real and it may be your only reality when it comes to how you eat in the furture... So while on P-1 &2, you have the chance to reinvent yourself.

I know you are right and that's what worries me. My tastes have changed. No sweetener in my tea anymore. But it is the texture of veggies I don't like. I know I will just have to have my go to ones and learn to make them a part of every meal. I still have a long way to go. Maybe in 50 more pounds I will have gotten over my issues! :p

canadjineh 05-05-2014 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 64peppergirl (Post 4998369)
Ditto!!! I also recently discovered how the jarred banana peppers really bump up the taste of a salad. I also make sure to finely chop everything together into a chopped salad. That makes it taste even better to me.

I checked out some other veggies (not on the list) and * I don't suggest what you might call cheating * but, as an example, nopales have only 2 net carbs per cooked cup while broccoli has 6 per cooked cup. Sooooo, what I'm saying is just because it isn't on your P1 list doesn't mean you will have to stick to THOSE veggies for the rest of your life. Do a little research as there are lots of other veggie possibilities in other cultures that can expand your horizons and tastes so you won't get bored or 'overcarbed' when you reach maintenance.

Think outside the box for ways to prepare the 'usual' veggies as 64peppergirl did ;) Also, I agree with 65x65 - everyone needs to increase their use of lower carb veggies to stay at their proper weight for the rest of their life. If you go back to eating just peas, carrots, and corn... you are looking for trouble. The reason they are fave veg of many is because of their higher carb (sugar/starch) count.

Liana

65X65 05-05-2014 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChipnDip (Post 4998382)
I know you are right and that's what worries me. My tastes have changed. No sweetener in my tea anymore. But it is the texture of veggies I don't like. I know I will just have to have my go to ones and learn to make them a part of every meal. I still have a long way to go. Maybe in 50 more pounds I will have gotten over my issues! :p

We are all "rooting" for you...as Liana says there ARE others...and you will need to be proactive to find what you like AND what will allow you to be healthy and normal weight at maintenance. Cooking/not cooking things is a mater of taste.....it's all good...according to you! And trust us, your taste and preferences will change. Many write Whoop-dee-dooo posts to celebrate and share this event when they find they like something they NEVER thought they would! It's a real game changer when that happens!

ChipnDip 05-05-2014 01:13 PM

If love to try jicama but I can't seem to find it anywhere. I know I have seen it before.

canadjineh 05-05-2014 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChipnDip (Post 4998396)
If love to try jicama but I can't seem to find it anywhere. I know I have seen it before.

Easy to find at Safeway or other large grocery stores (I assume you are in US?). If you can't find it there, try a Mexican/Central American/South American food mart. Not very expensive and seriously addictive if you like juicy crunch (raw) or as baked 'fries' with spices.

Ruth Ann 05-05-2014 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChipnDip (Post 4998396)

Just a caution - make the produce worker cut it open for you before you buy. There is nothing worse than getting it home and finding it all brown inside. I have never figured out how to tell from the outside if it's good or not.

SophieLT 05-05-2014 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruth Ann (Post 4998499)
Just a caution - make the produce worker cut it open for you before you buy. There is nothing worse than getting it home and finding it all brown inside. I have never figured out how to tell from the outside if it's good or not.

What color should it be on the inside?

drd1961 05-05-2014 05:57 PM

Quote:

Triple like! Well put.

ChipnDip 05-05-2014 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadjineh (Post 4998419)
Easy to find at Safeway or other large grocery stores (I assume you are in US?). If you can't find it there, try a Mexican/Central American/South American food mart. Not very expensive and seriously addictive if you like juicy crunch (raw) or as baked 'fries' with spices.

No, I'm in Ontario. I will have to ask. I know I have seen it. Is it usually with fruit or the potatoes?

canadjineh 05-05-2014 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChipnDip (Post 4998586)
No, I'm in Ontario. I will have to ask. I know I have seen it. Is it usually with fruit or the potatoes?

Ontario is easy then, I am in BC, try Safeway or Sobeys or Loblaws. They should be white & crunchy inside - looks like uncooked potato sort of, but whiter less creamy and watery/juicy. Usually in with the 'strange' veggies in the fresh veggie display cases.

They are fairly sweet and make a great P1 sweet snack that reminds me of apple pie - just cut sticks after peeling fibrous peel off, dip into ground powdered cinnamon or cinnamon clove mixture and it's juicy like a fresh apple and tastes like pie.

Mulse 05-05-2014 11:28 PM

It's funny that this thread was bumped today because I was just thinking about the difference in attitude I have towards salad now. I've never been a huge salad eater. But I have noticed that on this plan, if my carbs creep higher than 35 net (usually from my restricted) that I feel more hungry the next day. I have come to terms with the fact that my body is probably more sensitive to carbs than the normal person's and that a salad will have to be in my diet for the rest of my life in order to get some carbs but healthy ones. I'm okay with that. If a salad = healthier weight for me, then so be it.

momotrips3 05-06-2014 03:52 PM

Quote:

I don't hate salad, I actually eat a lot of salad normally, however, I'm generally really full with the other food on plan so far. The dressing is kinda bumming me out so I end up not finishing the salad. Oil & vinegar with spices is better than the WF stuff and I can somewhat enjoy it, but it would be great if there was something "creamyish" we could make that was a better tasting sub than Walden Farms. There are low carb, low calorie dressings that I use when I eat normally that just aren't allowed. Salad dressing is not what has made me fat! Haha! Salad will be the least of my concerns when I phase off of this into maintenance! I do expect that my tastes will change, as well. I agree, we need to learn a better way to eat and I intend to. I will be trying every salad dressing recipe I come across on this board! I'll find a great one eventually!