What Odds are stacked against you (in terms of medical issues)

• I was thinking about my family health history. When I think about the health issues that plague both sides of my family- taking on the challenge of IP (even though I cannot be perfect on it) will help me in my years to come ( I hope!)

On my dad's side of the family is high cholesterol and I mean HIGH! My grandma who is all of 4'7" and weighs 98lbs (most she ever weighed in her life was 120) in all her teeny tiny pettiness lies high cholesterol. My dad has it too, his was so high a year or so ago that they could NOT get a good cholesterol reading!! That scared me to death - not for me but HIM. he made changes took different meds and it is better but still elevated! Grams blood is so thick when she had her stroke they had a hard time getting it to thin out- so scary stuff there!

Mom's side everyone but mom and 2 uncles are morbidly obese- and I mean morbid. my uncle weighs almost 500lbs and does not eat the best. he has always been heavy. my grandma weighed close to 400 when she died, she dies after she has a quadruple by pass. And diabetes is common.

Looking at my family (both sides) scares the brew-haha out of me. So I am changing my course and I hope to keep it that way.
  • Good idea. My family has a history of obesity as well (parents have struggled with being overweight as they got older), aunts/uncles, etc. All have made decisions in recent years to get healthy and now is the time...while we are young enough and able to fix it! Good for you!
  • Obesity and diabetes and loss of limbs from the diabetes
    all due to lifestyle although genetics does play a part-diet and exercise
    plays a bigger part!!!!
  • Diebetes and heart disease.
  • My mom's side has heart disease and stroke. My mom is the eldest of 6...and all her brothers and sisters have already had a stroke (except for my mom...she's 69). My dad have autoimmune disorders (Lupus and Rheumatoid Arthritis).

I personally have had Lupus symptoms over the past 2 years, but the doctors can't confirm a diagnosis. Then they thought maybe I had MS...couldn't confirm that one either. Since they couldn't figure it out, they wanted to give me Prozac so I wouldn't worry about it. I declined and went to a naturopathic doctor. She's been amazing and so helpful. She checked my insulin and other labs. Most were normal, but the insulin was CRAZY high! Post meals, she wanted me at 15...my insulin was at 195. So, I do know I have metabolic syndrome...and obviously insulin resistance. She said I need to get this weight off to see how other parts of my body will correct itself. And reading a lot of the literature from IP, I can see how high insulin affects (or is it effects...I always get that one wrong) other hormones in the body.

I've been trying to lose weight for a few years now. I've even gone paleo, but for some reason nothing worked (maybe because I had such SEVERE cravings that I couldn't follow a program for more than a day or two.

It's weird...I've made is just over a week on Ideal Protein and I already feel better. I'm finally looking toward the future with some hope now.