Ideal Protein Newcomers introduce yourself here!

You're on Page 7 of 34
Go to
  • Thank you Lisa! I'm sure I'll be back with more questions after I read and research more! I love all the advice and knowledge found here! So appreciated!
  • See, I'm back!!

With a few more questions:

1. Is there anything else you are allowed to drink besides water? I assume that diet drinks and Crystal LIght are no-no's because of the aspartame.

2. The IP Phase 1 sheet says you can have green peppers (cooked) as unrestricted veggies. Why not raw? And I'm confused because on the thread about what people are eating, I am seeing salads listed with red and yellow peppers as well as green.

3. On the IP supplement sheet, it doesn't list Omega 3's, but I have read numerous threads that people are taking them. Are they necessary for the sucess of this diet?

4. The IP Phase 1 sheet says 5 oz. of lean meat or 7 oz. of fish; however, in these threads, I see that people are saying you can have 8 oz. of protein, and they even split it up between lunch and dinner (3 oz. at lunch and 5 oz. at dinner). Which is the correct amount we are allowed to have?

THANK YOU, THANK YOU again for all of your advice and patience as I gather all the information needed to start this journey. Seeing everyone's fantastic results is so motivating!
  • Quote: See, I'm back!!

With a few more questions:

1. Is there anything else you are allowed to drink besides water? I assume that diet drinks and Crystal LIght are no-no's because of the aspartame.

2. The IP Phase 1 sheet says you can have green peppers (cooked) as unrestricted veggies. Why not raw? And I'm confused because on the thread about what people are eating, I am seeing salads listed with red and yellow peppers as well as green.

3. On the IP supplement sheet, it doesn't list Omega 3's, but I have read numerous threads that people are taking them. Are they necessary for the sucess of this diet?

4. The IP Phase 1 sheet says 5 oz. of lean meat or 7 oz. of fish; however, in these threads, I see that people are saying you can have 8 oz. of protein, and they even split it up between lunch and dinner (3 oz. at lunch and 5 oz. at dinner). Which is the correct amount we are allowed to have?

THANK YOU, THANK YOU again for all of your advice and patience as I gather all the information needed to start this journey. Seeing everyone's fantastic results is so motivating!
    I can answer some of your questions:

1) Decaf herbal teas (hot or cold) are great!

2) i think you may be looking at an old sheet - the current one just lists bell peppers and doesn't specify cooked. Look in the first post of the weekend/daily chat and there is a link to the current sheet.

3) The current sheet lists Omega 3s.

4) The current sheet lists 8 oz of protein and you can break it up if it's too much to get down in one meal.

Hope that helps and welcome and good luck!
  • Thank you Ruth Ann! I am so confused about the alternative supplements! If I buy a multivitamin, won't I just take it once a day versus the numerous times the IP sheet says to take it? I'm confused on how to take the alternative supplements!
  • Here's a recent thread on alternative supplements http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...-vitamins.html (hope my link works, if not just look for the thread "alternative vitamins". that should help you out.
  • Quote: Thank you Ruth Ann! I am so confused about the alternative supplements! If I buy a multivitamin, won't I just take it once a day versus the numerous times the IP sheet says to take it? I'm confused on how to take the alternative supplements!
    I answered that in one of your earlier posts

Have you found the most recent p1 sheet? I posted it in the stickies
  • Hello! IP newbie here. I've been quietly perusing these threads and IP groups on SparkPeople and MyFitnessPal for the last week after two people I know separately mentioned they were starting IP with the A Better Weigh clinics in Maryland.

I am pretty sure I am going to start IP next week, I am planning to go to an intro talk on Tuesday. Right now I am deciding whether to go it alone or with a coach (I am pretty sure I can fit the cost of IP food in my regular food budget, I'll have to see what the center's other fees are to see if it's feasible).

I have done variations of keto diets before with mixed success. I find after the first two weeks of being gung-ho about measuring, I get overwhelmed with measuring and counting macros and give up all together. (I also find the paleo/primal community frustrating, but that's another story.) Also, I have a nasty habit of self sabotage--after the first drops in the scale I think I've done great and deserve a small treat. Which turns into a big treat. Which turns into an every day treat. The end.

That said, I really thrive with a structured plan, with regular support and weekly check ins, so I hope I can make the regular IP route work. If anyone has used A Better Weigh in Maryland, please let me know, would love to hear from your experience!

If I go it alone, I do have one question: Do people doing an IP alternative plan check body fat measurements regularly in addition to weight and measurements? I was thinking of ordering a handheld body fat monitor from Amazon, but I'm not sure if it will be worth it. Also, does anyone use Ketostix?

Cheers!
  • Quote: Hello! IP newbie here. I've been quietly perusing these threads and IP groups on SparkPeople and MyFitnessPal for the last week after two people I know separately mentioned they were starting IP with the A Better Weigh clinics in Maryland.

I am pretty sure I am going to start IP next week, I am planning to go to an intro talk on Tuesday. Right now I am deciding whether to go it alone or with a coach (I am pretty sure I can fit the cost of IP food in my regular food budget, I'll have to see what the center's other fees are to see if it's feasible).

I have done variations of keto diets before with mixed success. I find after the first two weeks of being gung-ho about measuring, I get overwhelmed with measuring and counting macros and give up all together. (I also find the paleo/primal community frustrating, but that's another story.) Also, I have a nasty habit of self sabotage--after the first drops in the scale I think I've done great and deserve a small treat. Which turns into a big treat. Which turns into an every day treat. The end.

That said, I really thrive with a structured plan, with regular support and weekly check ins, so I hope I can make the regular IP route work. If anyone has used A Better Weigh in Maryland, please let me know, would love to hear from your experience!

If I go it alone, I do have one question: Do people doing an IP alternative plan check body fat measurements regularly in addition to weight and measurements? I was thinking of ordering a handheld body fat monitor from Amazon, but I'm not sure if it will be worth it. Also, does anyone use Ketostix?
    Welcome!
    I did Atkins in 02-03 so I was familiar with ketogenic diets, as well. I needed the structure AND the accountability. I went to a clinic from July 2012 - June 2013. After that point, I didn't feel like I was getting support with my plateau. I, too, had a nasty habit of self sabatage and found the accountability of going to a clinic and facing someone else (besides the one in the mirror) immensely helpful for a long time!

There are LOTS of ways to treat ourselves. Food just shouldn't be one of them. Over the time I've been on IP, my relationship with food has changed and my ability to observe how various foods make me feel has really improved!

If you're talking about ordering calipers, know that to get an accurate measurement, it takes good training with how to use them. Really an accurate scale and a measuring tape are pretty good ways to measure.

We really find ketostix useless. For several reasons.
    They'll let you know you're initially in ketosis (which symptoms can also tell you, without spending the $$). Secondly, as the body adjusts to ketosis, it gets more efficient at burning the ketones & they no longer end up in the urine. I say don't waste your time/$$$.

From your story, I'd suggest using a clinic. Yup, its more money but you are sooooo worth it!!! I wouldn't change the way I did it. I mean, really, look at my pics! (more if you click my name and go to my profile)

Good luck!
  • Quote: Also, I have a nasty habit of self sabotage--after the first drops in the scale I think I've done great and deserve a small treat. Which turns into a big treat. Which turns into an every day treat. The end. Cheers!
    Welcome! Not much to add to what Lisa said except I really think the accountability of a coach and support I get from her has been invaluable. It is expensive but I figure I'm heading off a bunch of future medical bills so it's a good trade-off!
  • Lots to Lose
    Hi I am very excited to have started the IP Plan I am a middle age woman who is 299lbs and I need to get healthy and lose this weight! Looking forward to reading all your tips and posts to keep me motivated along this journey
  • Newcomer to IP. Spent the weekend shopping for all the veggies. Day 1 tomorrow!!
  • Quote: Welcome!
    I did Atkins in 02-03 so I was familiar with ketogenic diets, as well. I needed the structure AND the accountability. I went to a clinic from July 2012 - June 2013. After that point, I didn't feel like I was getting support with my plateau. I, too, had a nasty habit of self sabatage and found the accountability of going to a clinic and facing someone else (besides the one in the mirror) immensely helpful for a long time!

There are LOTS of ways to treat ourselves. Food just shouldn't be one of them. Over the time I've been on IP, my relationship with food has changed and my ability to observe how various foods make me feel has really improved!

If you're talking about ordering calipers, know that to get an accurate measurement, it takes good training with how to use them. Really an accurate scale and a measuring tape are pretty good ways to measure.

We really find ketostix useless. For several reasons.
    They'll let you know you're initially in ketosis (which symptoms can also tell you, without spending the $$). Secondly, as the body adjusts to ketosis, it gets more efficient at burning the ketones & they no longer end up in the urine. I say don't waste your time/$$$.

From your story, I'd suggest using a clinic. Yup, its more money but you are sooooo worth it!!! I wouldn't change the way I did it. I mean, really, look at my pics! (more if you click my name and go to my profile)

Good luck!
    Thanks so much Lisa and Ruth Ann for your input. Your posts here and around the other threads are very helpful and motivating! Hopefully I'll be hanging around here a lot more soon.
  • meeting with Ideal Protein rep on Tuesday
    I just made an appointment to learn more about Ideal protein for this coming Tuesday. I am really ready to focus on a program that helps me to get the weight off fast. Part II of my goal is to learn to keep it off. Does this program help you with this?
  • Quote: Hi I am very excited to have started the IP Plan I am a middle age woman who is 299lbs and I need to get healthy and lose this weight! Looking forward to reading all your tips and posts to keep me motivated along this journey
    Welcome! You sound like me! I started IP at 50 and needing to lose 100+ lbs - and I did it! This board is great for motivation, support and ideas. Be sure to read the recipe threads, some very creative people have done wonders with recipes for keeping things interesting.

Quote: Newcomer to IP. Spent the weekend shopping for all the veggies. Day 1 tomorrow!!
    Yeah for planning ahead!!! Good luck on your first day and be sure to ask questions if anything pops up. There's usually someone around here who has been there or knows where to find the information for you.

Quote: I just made an appointment to learn more about Ideal protein for this coming Tuesday. I am really ready to focus on a program that helps me to get the weight off fast. Part II of my goal is to learn to keep it off. Does this program help you with this?
    Hi duxdoxie (cute name!) - IP is a 4 phase diet with the 4th phase being maintenance. You might want to read the mainteners threads for some ideas on how it goes.

I have learned so much about my relationship with food, serving sizes, cravings, etc. on P1 that is really going to help me maintain my weight loss. I think your Part II is totally doable - we get the tools while losing weight and then it's up to us to apply them. I know i am going to have to continuously control my weight for the rest of my life, but now I have a plan for doing so.
  • Today is day 1! Turned 40 on Sat and am ready to make-over my life. First weigh- in will be 4/2. Love my coach, she actually lost pretty much exactly what I am hoping to lose. Here's to hoping I'm one of the lucky ones that don't get the nausea/headaches! I did get warnings and advice if I do though. One question, I got so much info and have read a ton on here but still not sure about gum. I never chew it normally but am worried about the breath and want to be prepared. My coach said sugar-free gum and then we got distracted, any type in particular? I saw on the boards that a lot use the Listerine strips or banaca as well. Any advice? I def plan to get details from my coach next week, but any advice is welcome!