Old 03-24-2014, 03:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 195.4/173.8/129

Height: 5' 5"

Default What to do about a long flight

We're traveling to Hawaii (my parents live there) next month. The flight is about 6 hours. I am more worried about the flight and food. And becoming very snacky to be honest. Anyone out there travel during IP?

My parents know about IP and they are 100% supportive. They just want me to continue doing what I've been doing at home, but at their place. Thank goodness! I was a bit worried because my mom is from the Phillipines...and she cooks whole, real, organic food. I was concerned she wouldn't understand my IP food, but we've discussed it several times and she's onboard. I love my parents!!! :-)

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!

Pauline
HulaChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Default Travel during IP

Hi Hula: Yes I've done ski condo vacations while on Phase 1 and I just took along enough packets to keep me on track. For the plane - take a dry packet of Peach Mango, or Pina Colada and your shaker cup in your carryon and get water from the flight attendant for a 'celebration' drink (sneaky protein snack). If you need to, use the unrestricted packets of crisps for crunchy snack. If your flight gets a meal, book a low carb or diabetic meal ahead if you can. (there will be less no-no food in that kind of a meal.) Or just bring HB eggs, pre-cut veggies, and a salad from the concessions in the airport. Better to not use the Restricted choices on your flight if you can as you are just sitting there and it could lead to the munchies - they tend to be desserty sorts of things anyhow and can add to that feeling.
Good your parents are going to be helpful. Offer to help with shopping, & cooking and you may have more control over the menu
And one last note... NO lechon! lol

Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:49 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 195.4/173.8/129

Height: 5' 5"

Thanks Liana!

I'll request the diabetic/low carb food. I am hoping to just bring my stuff and eat IP. I am finally over my cravings (for now) and I would hate to eat something "bad" and kick them off again. They were soooooo strong!!!

No lechon?? Really??? Uh oh! Hmmm...she asked about adobo...which I think should be ok.

My mom is so cute, she's trying to be as helpful as possible with my eating. I think seeing their daughter pre-diabetic and almost 200 lbs is really hard for them...considering I did Ironman FL just 3 1/2 years ago. Crazy how everything went downhill.
HulaChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:47 PM   #4  

Location: Washington DC - or wheverever American Airlines is taking me at the moment!

Height: 5'6"

I travel every week and have been on IP going to Hawaii and Europe -- you'll be fine. The advice you've received is all good, the only major thing I'll add is make sure you have enough WATER! Don't rely on the airline to provide it, bring it on your own -- if I'm organized, I'll bring the collapsable water bottles or an empty 1.5 litre bottle and fill them at a water fountain once I'm through TSA. If I forget, I'll just buy at least 1, sometimes 2 big bottles before I get on the plane.

Also, don't try to deal with the time change while in transit, just eat on your regular home schedule. Once you get to Hawaii and have better access to food, it'll be easier to adjust without going off the wagon.

Ask for tea or hot water if you want -- it'll stave off the hungries and they always have hot water (I bring my own tea bags and Spenda because AA has horrible tea!).

Finally, bring more than you think you'll need -- it's always possible that you'll be stuck in an airport for a number of hours without access to your bag, so be prepared if that happens. In a pinch, the drink packets mix up nicely in a bottle of water (drink some of the water down and then pour -- carefully! -- the powder into the bottle and shake really hard) which you can always get.

Good luck!
GloverParker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:35 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

Good advice.

I also recommend bringing extra non-restricted packets along. You never know if (knock on wood) your flight out gets cancelled and you're stuck in Hawaii for a couple extra days. Better to be prepared.
IdealProteinNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:04 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 215/159.2/135

Height: 5'4

Remember not to pack pre-made shakes in your carry on!!! I made this mistake and had to watch the security officer throw away $30 worth of shakes... so sad Pack tea bags and stevia in your purse and sip it on the plane - Green tea is an awesome appetite suppressant!
murphypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:04 PM   #7  
Started IP 6/14/12

S/C/G: 202.8/165/135

Height: 5'1"

Great Advice, Glover! I've also done lots of traveling on IP P1. The key is to have enough food and water with you, just in case you have a delay or have to sit in the plane for a few extra hours. I, too, have had to throw out RTDs at security. I've mixed packets into water bottles and that works well.

My trick is to have enough munchie salad things to keep me satisfied during the flight. There is usually a place to buy salads once you get through security.
joysh is offline   Reply With Quote