Old 02-20-2014, 01:45 PM   #1  

Default Advice Please? I am starting to get really worried.

Here goes guys...
I am not spotting at all this time around which I have ALWAYS done in the past within the first couple of days. I am on day 16 and not a drop.

I am not feeling hungry really until its time to eat (lunch, dinner, etc.). In the past, I was starving!

I have weighed the same for the past week. No cheats, following the program to a T. The last time I did a reboot I was down 3lbs more than I am now. Feels like its hanging on.

Drinking a lot of water but feel like I should be going more than I should.

I am waking up feeling bloated...wth? My ring even feels tight. How is this happening with such little food intake not to mention all the water? Usually, even if the scale remained the same, I felt skinnier when waking up. Not this time around.

I am FREEZING...especially in my extremities.

Issues with the big C have resolved I believe. I have been drinking smooth move the past two night and have went yesterday and today (sorry TMI).

So, here's my question. Do you think I could have really done a number to my thyroid hence being cold, not feeling hungry, not losing at the same pace as I was before? I am just concerned because so many things "feel" different on this reboot which makes me worry.

Sorry for the babbling. I am just feeling out of sorts here and really don't know if this is normal or what. Anyone else never spot? Isn't this a sign that I am not losing fat?
eandc2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:52 PM   #2  

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandc2006 View Post
Here goes guys...
I am not spotting at all this time around which I have ALWAYS done in the past within the first couple of days. I am on day 16 and not a drop.

I am not feeling hungry really until its time to eat (lunch, dinner, etc.). In the past, I was starving!

I have weighed the same for the past week. No cheats, following the program to a T. The last time I did a reboot I was down 3lbs more than I am now. Feels like its hanging on.

I am waking up feeling bloated...wth? My ring even feels tight. How is this happening with such little food intake not to mention all the water? Usually, even if the scale remained the same, I felt skinnier when waking up. Not this time around.

Issues with the big C have resolved I believe. I have been drinking smooth move the past two night and have went yesterday and today (sorry TMI).

So, here's my question. Do you think I could have really done a number to my thyroid hence being cold, not feeling hungry, not losing at the same pace as I was before? I am just concerned because so many things "feel" different on this reboot which makes me worry.

Sorry for the babbling. I am just feeling out of sorts here and really don't know if this is normal or what. Anyone else never spot? Isn't this a sign that I am not losing fat?
None of us can tell you what you've done to your thyroid. Have you had it checked?
One thing to be sure of is that you have a doctor who insists your thyroid function is "optimal" rather than just within normal limits according to lab reports. Remember, the lab reports are based on SICK people, not healthy people! Optimal is usually much more precise & the "okay" range is much wider.
I also know that there is what the Atkins folks consider a "golden opportunity" for weight loss on low carb. Many folks struggle more when they come back, which is why it is so important to learn to maintain, rather than yo yo (I'm not saying you've done this)
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:53 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Here goes guys...

Ketosis makes your appetite shrink and often makes people feel cold in the extremities, so those are pretty normal. It can also release lots of hormones along with fat loss, so that could mess with your cycles.

What is your height and current weight and goal weight. The closer to goal the s-l-o-w-e-r the losses.

Maybe post a few days of what you have been eating and drinking and we can look for any hidden problems.
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:07 PM   #4  

Thanks all. I have not had my thyroid checked in quite some time but the last time they simply stated it was fine. Not sure if that means optimal...but I am going to guess not.

I suppose the strange thing is that I tend to gain anywhere from 4-6lbs in maintenance depending so I do reboots from time to time to kick it off and jump back in maintenance. I haven't done one since September. I didn't get on the scale this time before restarting (not the day of anyways) but did weigh several days before and was around 141. Today I am in at 135. I would like to get to 125, my goal is 130 but I seem, depending on the day, salt intake, TOM, etc to hang more around 135 when I would really like to be 130 at most. Anyhow, it just seems to be different this time with the lack of hunger, the NO spotting, and what seems to be slower losses. In September when I did 18 days, I was down to 132. I suppose I will just keep trekking along and see what pans out.

I so appreciate all of you!
Old 02-20-2014, 03:48 PM   #5  
maintaining since 9/2013

I can't offer anything re most of what you report except that when I was really on a roll in ketosis, etc. I noticed my hands would get like ice cubes. My coach had the same thing. I fell off program a few times and the cold hands were my first sign of being back in ketosis. I didn't have your other symptoms though. Anything that caused me to worry, I would check with both coach AND health provider. It's hard enough to stay OP without worrying if it's negatively affecting your health.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:13 PM   #6  

Your right Mars...I think I will call my old coach because I this just seems weird to me. I don't go in anymore. OMG, I have been reading up on the golden opportunity thing and scaring the crap out of myself thinking 1. I will no longer be able to lose weight via IP, 2. I have damaged my body from the dieting and 3. that I am destined to gain it all back. Ughh, the internet is too much info for my brain at times and can send me into panic mode. Reading all the golden op stuff was making me feel awful like I was doomed and going to overweight for the rest of my life.

Did you have spotting at all? What about not being hungry?
Old 02-20-2014, 05:33 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 153/134.5/130 (first goal)

Height: 5'0

maybe your body needs a new program, why not try something like southbeach where you are allowed some grains/fruit/avocado and see if that works. I am finding the same with me but with my wedding in 5 months I don't want to stop IP, once the wedding is over though I intend to try south beach or WW again. I think my body needs a break from this.
Sunflower40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:45 PM   #8  

Height: 5'4"

eandc2006,
Are you taking any supplements/vitamins?
infoplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:49 PM   #9  

Infoplease, I am actually not taking the vitamins right now. One of them I am out of and I forget to take. Do you think this could be a culprit?
Old 02-20-2014, 06:16 PM   #10  

Lisa....I know you are very knowledgeable about a number of things health and IP related and I imagine you are well informed and have done some research on the golden opp thing. What are your thoughts about this? Do you think there is any truth to it?
Old 02-20-2014, 07:03 PM   #11  

Quote:
Lisa....I know you are very knowledgeable about a number of things health and IP related and I imagine you are well informed and have done some research on the golden opp thing. What are your thoughts about this? Do you think there is any truth to it?
Yes I do, which is why I encourage people to follow the plan and get to goal and then phase off properly and focus on maintenance. I think this opportunity affects some folks more than others and also the more we cycle on/off the more we're apt to run into issues.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:02 AM   #12  

Height: 5'4"

eandc2006, maybe lack of potassium is causing the bloating? The other stuff sounds like ketosis symptoms in general, just maybe not your personal typical ones. Was there anything different about what you were eating before this reset compared to when you have done it before? For example, maybe this time you were just eating too many calories from healthy foods and the last times you were eating too many calories from sugar and/or processed foods?

That golden opportunity stuff is interesting as well as the Phinney/Volek books, which I may purchase AND read.

Someone suggested maybe listing a few days of what you are eating. Maybe you can tweak that or go to p2 which is really just more protein and fat from your protein sources, you would still be in ketosis. Maybe you need the calories or maybe add an extra teaspoon of fat and see what happens.
infoplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:19 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by infoplease View Post
eandc2006, maybe lack of potassium is causing the bloating? The other stuff sounds like ketosis symptoms in general, just maybe not your personal typical ones. Was there anything different about what you were eating before this reset compared to when you have done it before? For example, maybe this time you were just eating too many calories from healthy foods and the last times you were eating too many calories from sugar and/or processed foods?

That golden opportunity stuff is interesting as well as the Phinney/Volek books, which I may purchase AND read.

Someone suggested maybe listing a few days of what you are eating. Maybe you can tweak that or go to p2 which is really just more protein and fat from your protein sources, you would still be in ketosis. Maybe you need the calories or maybe add an extra teaspoon of fat and see what happens.
Hey infoplease. I am doing some things differently. Before I used all IP products and now I am doing a mix of alternatives and IP products. The only alt I use is the EAS shake and there have been sometimes where I use it for bfast and my snack. I know that this is higher in sodium but I am pushing around 100oz of water each day. What a typical day could look like.

bfast- sour cream and chive crisps
lunch- pasta with 2 cups zucchini and red peppers
snack- orange drink or EAS RTD
dinner- 8 oz of hamburger with two cups veggies (I love zucchini and I eat it often, sometimes twice a day), 8 oz of chicken thighs (skinless of course) with 2 cups cucumbers and onions with rice vinegar and splenda (1 packet)

Today and yesterday I have added a hard boiled egg for some extra fat. Although I am not hungry perhaps I need the extra fuel. I also suspect that TOM will be arriving in the next week so perhaps that is some of my problem. I am going to stick to taking the supplements everyday for sure now and just hope that the scale moves. This morning it looks like I could be down a lb...I use a old scale that is not digital so it sometimes has to be adjusted several times before I get an accurate reading and keep it from jumping around. Thank you infoplease. You guys have no idea how much this helps. My husband this morning said I think you need to have a real meal and take a break for the day. Ummmmm, NO, I have been on 17 days and certainly not stopping now.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:23 AM   #14  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

While I am all for going to see a doctor to me this sounds all pretty normal.

Your body is most likely adapting much faster to the P1 protocol. The adaptations are the appetite pattern and freezing you're feeling.

Lack of WEIGHT loss is easily explained by water retention which could be a number of things including stress and a lack of potassium.

IP is an extreme diet. It's a PSMF. I don't know how many reboots you've had but you may want to consider another means of maintinence rather than phase 4.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:36 AM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
While I am all for going to see a doctor to me this sounds all pretty normal.

Your body is most likely adapting much faster to the P1 protocol. The adaptations are the appetite pattern and freezing you're feeling.

Lack of WEIGHT loss is easily explained by water retention which could be a number of things including stress and a lack of potassium.

IP is an extreme diet. It's a PSMF. I don't know how many reboots you've had but you may want to consider another means of maintinence rather than phase 4.
You know John P, I must tell you I was hoping you would pop in here. I have always really valued your advice and find it very realistic. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I do think that the water retention (which I can feel must be related to the potassium). Going to get back in the swing of taking my supps EVERYDAY!!!!!

What about this golden opp idea? I have been doing some reading on it and would love your opinion.