Restricted veggies question/argument

• My sister a and I are doing the IP diet together. We started about 2weeks ago and I have lost 10lb! Yay. However yesterday we got in a fight because I made HER dinner with tomatoes (2/3 cup) in it. I had a slice of tomato ( literally a slice) the day before with a veggie stir fry for flavor. She said that I cannot have tomato more than once a week because it's on the restricted list. I said we can have up to 4 cups of tomatoes a week so I was still under. What are the rules on restricted veggies, can they be split up through out the week or u have to eat 2 cups at one time?
    I am planning on asking my coach but she just says everything is good if your losing weight. Haha which I guess is true.
  • Quote: My sister a and I are doing the IP diet together. We started about 2weeks ago and I have lost 10lb! Yay. However yesterday we got in a fight because I made HER dinner with tomatoes (2/3 cup) in it. I had a slice of tomato ( literally a slice) the day before with a veggie stir fry for flavor. She said that I cannot have tomato more than once a week because it's on the restricted list. I said we can have up to 4 cups of tomatoes a week so I was still under. What are the rules on restricted veggies, can they be split up through out the week or u have to eat 2 cups at one time?
    I am planning on asking my coach but she just says everything is good if your losing weight. Haha which I guess is true.
    Coach responses are a bit all over on this as with many things! The consensus here seems to be one cup per serving two times per week.

They are supposed to be consumed as one serving at one meal. The reason is that they are the veggies with more carbs that will spike your blood sugar, so rather than raising it several times during the week, you only have them two times.

That being said, there are plenty of people who have cherry tomatoes or a couple spoons of salsa, for example, on a salad several times a week with no slowing of losses.
  • This is one of those gray areas-open to interpretation
    6 of one-half a dozen of the other....in the course of a week its the same amount of food....
    I tend to have a little salsa or tomato every day rather than 2 cups at a time.
  • I tend to agree with JLUS.
    I have 1 serving no more than twice weekly (however, usually not tomatoes unless it is salsa. I'm not a tomato fan)
  • Quote: I tend to agree with JLUS.
    I have 1 serving no more than twice weekly (however, usually not tomatoes unless it is salsa. I'm not a tomato fan)
    This works for me as well. I've tried the 'small amounts multiple times a week' and noticed how it changed my body-I was more 'snacky' if you will.
  • I'm in maintenance, but I had a couple of tablespoons of salsa almost daily during a reboot and did not notice any stalls in my weight loss. Towards the end of P1, I know I was a little more loosey goosey with my salsa too, but I did avoid other restricted veggies when I got into the salsa habit.

I found this habit has really helped me to kick my ketchup habit. I used to have ketchup with eggs, potatoes, burgers, etc - you name it and I would slather it in ketchup. After 6 months of maintenance (with a reboot) I still rarely use ketchup.