Old 01-16-2014, 02:47 PM   #1  

Height: 5'7

Default Insulin Resistant (PCOS) Metformin and IP

Hi there - I started IP again (after going off of it for quite some time) at the end of December. Since starting, I was diagnosed with PCOS, with it likely being something I've had for years.

Anyway, my endo put me on Metformin (to help my insulin resistance - I am not diabetic). It has almost been a week and I'll be increasing my dosage (per my DR) to double what I have started on at the 1 week mark.

So far, the Metformin makes me feel great. I'm not tired all day and definitely feel better. But, my appetite is pretty much non existent. I actually got sick yesterday after eating my restricted bar from IP (usually my favorite) because I just am not hungry. All week, I haven't been able to finish my food because I'm full. I don't crave anything at all (which likely is in part due to being in ketosis - or the metformin).

Based on all of this, I'm trying to figure out if it's worth staying on IP since I'm eating so much less anyway. IP is very expensive to be on and to not be able to follow it the way I need to doesn't seem right. Even the IP shakes make me nauseous.

Sorry this is so long, I just wonder if anyone else has experienced this. What did they do?
Soootiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:02 PM   #2  
Carb Addict

S/C/G: 290/290/180

Height: 5'6"

I was diagnosed with PCOS 15 years ago and did IP for 6 months in 2012. I would stick to it... even with the metformin. The medication can only do so much when it comes to hunger control. If the cost of IP is too much for the packets then you can switch to alternatives to help keep the cost down. That is what I had to do. PCOS is a special special thing and even my best friend who weighs soaking wet 120 with a good bmi has it, so weight is only a factor. One of the main things even being medicated is that weight is stubborn. Did they do a blood glucose test on you to see if you really were insulin resistant. A lot of general doctors will imediately put you on it with the PCOS diagnosis. I would do one of two things, go see an obgyn or an endocrinologist. They will be able to better treat your PCOS and get you properly medicated. I was put on metformin 11 years ago and was taken off of it 5 years ago due to me not being insulin resistant. Keep in mind that there are about 15 symptoms of PCOS and that you can have a combination of any of them. Sorry for the ramblings but this is near and dear to my heart. PCOS was the reason I almost was un able to have a child.
Tigerlvr52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:12 PM   #3  

Thank you for replying. Yes, my insulin was checked and I am insulin reistent...my endocrinologist actually held off on putting me on metformin until after my lab results came back.

I guess my fear is that I'm wasting the money on IP (I have no problem paying for it, as long as I'm on it) if I can't eat all of the required foods each day?

I've done lots of reading regarding limiting/cutting carbs regardless of doing IP or not because it's the best way to eat to be healthy while having PCOS.
Soootiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:29 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

I am PCOS (obgyn told me about 17 yrs ago) and was on metforim for 6-7 yrs? I did the diet and was taken of metforim after 6 weeks on the diet. I tried to do it with just metforim but it just didn't stick either mentally or physically.....you can also go alternative but I needed the coach so I stuck with IP the whole time.

I was also told I would have issues getting preggers (17 yrs ago), happened FAST for me and I think it's cause I got my health under control.

Last edited by Ishbel; 01-16-2014 at 05:31 PM.
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:10 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 229(April 1,2014)/208/150

How well has the metformin worked for y'all? I was just diagnosed with PCOS this past week and my doctor is waiting on the ultrasound of my ovaries to decide if she is going to put me on the rx. She has all but decided thats what needs to be done (in addition to the IP diet) but just wants to be sure before I take the pills. Besides the sick feeling after eating, has the metformin changed how quickly you dropped the weight or how you feel?
Ive done tons of research on PCOS for classes but now that I've been diagnosed all of the information I had retained has left my brain......it's driving me crazy! My memory has been really bad lately.....I don't know if its the exhaustion of starting a new diet or if its a symptom of PCOS that finally made sense.
Noodles1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:41 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 259.2/ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Just thought I could get some thoughts rolling on this topic. I was diagnosed with PCOS a couple years ago. I was put on BC and metformin. I hate taking pills daily. I actually struggle with our supplements on IP.

When I was first diagnosed, I wanted to start eating right and get rid of the pills. It took me longer than I thought to start IP (even though I knew it would help!) Fast forward to now, here I am, 70 lbs lighter. I still have 30 lbs to go but with my most recent blood tests, I no longer have to take my metformin! So happy! My insulin levels are back to normal as is everything else. One thing though still pops out though, and that's why I'm reaching out to other PCOS individuals. My DHEA and Testosterone levels are still very high. I'm meeting with an endocrinologist soon but I'm wondering if these levels can be lowered by diet or....anything else? Thoughts? Experiences?
ems70508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:12 PM   #7  
Carb Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ems70508 View Post
Just thought I could get some thoughts rolling on this topic. I was diagnosed with PCOS a couple years ago. I was put on BC and metformin. I hate taking pills daily. I actually struggle with our supplements on IP.

When I was first diagnosed, I wanted to start eating right and get rid of the pills. It took me longer than I thought to start IP (even though I knew it would help!) Fast forward to now, here I am, 70 lbs lighter. I still have 30 lbs to go but with my most recent blood tests, I no longer have to take my metformin! So happy! My insulin levels are back to normal as is everything else. One thing though still pops out though, and that's why I'm reaching out to other PCOS individuals. My DHEA and Testosterone levels are still very high. I'm meeting with an endocrinologist soon but I'm wondering if these levels can be lowered by diet or....anything else? Thoughts? Experiences?

One thing to keep in mind about PCOS is that weight gain is only one of the symptoms. Even if we get into a "normal" bmi there still is the hormone in-balance. Especially the Testosterone. My best friend who has not been a day overweight in her life still struggles with having to take medication for her PCOS. By taking control of your blood sugar and weight you will help out your in-balance but not necessarily cure it. PCOS is something I have struggled with since I was 13. So I understand the frustration.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:50 PM   #8  

Tigerlvr52, all valid points. I know that even when I'm at a 'normal' BMI, there will still be symptoms. I know that testosterone will be high, but mine is at a level that is outrageous for males. I am just reaching out looking for ways to help myself. To bring balance to my life. I know it will not go away.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:18 PM   #9  
Carb Addict

Quote:
Tigerlvr52, all valid points. I know that even when I'm at a 'normal' BMI, there will still be symptoms. I know that testosterone will be high, but mine is at a level that is outrageous for males. I am just reaching out looking for ways to help myself. To bring balance to my life. I know it will not go away.

Those levels may change when you are in maintenance. I remember being ( attempting) to go vegan for a while and the more soy i eat, the more my body produced testosterone to balance it. Well my doctor also noticed that as I have been loosing weight on this diet my levels are high again for 2 reasons. Heavy soy based packets and my body fat being melted releasing extra estrogen in my blood stream. When i was off plan and pregnant my levels changed quite a bit as i was not eating as much soy.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:32 PM   #10  

wow. it just blows my mind! I guess while on IP, our levels can be more out of whack than normal. makes sense. I'm still trying to understand all of what PCOS is/does. I am going to research PCOS food plans so when i'm in my maintenance stage, I can focus on that. Honestly, when I was first diagnosed, I went to a nutritionist and got an eating plan (that I didn't follow very well). I just wanted to ignore the fact that something was wrong. Now I know that THAT is wrong!
Old 02-10-2014, 03:36 PM   #11  
Carb Addict

Quote:
wow. it just blows my mind! I guess while on IP, our levels can be more out of whack than normal. makes sense. I'm still trying to understand all of what PCOS is/does. I am going to research PCOS food plans so when i'm in my maintenance stage, I can focus on that. Honestly, when I was first diagnosed, I went to a nutritionist and got an eating plan (that I didn't follow very well). I just wanted to ignore the fact that something was wrong. Now I know that THAT is wrong!
My Doctor said to really watch your carbs... at least for me. Even when I am done, kind of paleo of sorts. You will get the hang of it. I still take my BC every day and that levels me out pretty well.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:50 PM   #12  

When I was diagnosed (im not remembering a specific time. It was early 2012) my OB sent me to a nutritionist. While that nutritionist gave me great points, I didn't feel like it targeted me and my problems. I definitly feel like I have more control of myself and have a plan. Yes, I believe illbe on bc for a long time....
Old 02-10-2014, 05:50 PM   #13  

S/C/G: SW 179/ CW 149/ GW 125/ LW 119

Height: 5'7"

I'm not doing IP so can't help OP, but I do have PCOS, which is slightly where this thread went. I just wanted to say that there is a PCOS support group forum on here that has lots of useful resources for those of you who are newly diagnosed.

I've been on metformin ER for maybe 5 years. I lost a lot of weight a few years ago, getting my bmi to "normal." This was at the same time that I switched from regular metformin to extended release. I don't know if it was the Metformin ER, the weight loss, or eating healthier and exercising regularly, but my testosterone which used to be sky high is now normal (also my periods are now regular and my blood sugar doesn't fluctuate to extremes). Even though my tests are now normal I refuse to go off of metformin because when I have, everything has gone back to being out of whack.

Also, I would like to say kfrerich: most endocrinologists will tell you that having cysts on your ovaries is only ONE symptom of PCOS (also, you won't necessarily always have them at every time during your cycle). I did not have cysts when they gave me an ultrasound, but I definitely have PCOS (I have probably every other symptom). So if your doctor says you don't have PCOS and shouldn't go on metformin just because you don't show cysts, you might want to talk to him/her about it more or ask for a second opinion from an endocrinologist.

Last edited by Lovely13; 02-10-2014 at 05:51 PM.
Lovely13 is offline   Reply With Quote