3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Homemade IP Mayonnaise (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/292351-homemade-ip-mayonnaise.html)

bluegingham 02-01-2014 03:58 PM

Homemade IP Mayonnaise
 
Has anyone attempted to make IP-acceptable mayo?

Since the ingredients are:

1 large egg
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (make sure no sugar, etc.)
1 1/3 cups vegetable or canola oil (could substitute olive oil)
4 teaspoons white wine vinegar or freshly squeezed lemon juice

Any thoughts to share?

zephyr1973 02-01-2014 05:21 PM

I hope it's IP acceptable! I've been wondering the same thing myself - perhaps it has to do with the caloric count once all items are combined?

mars735 02-01-2014 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegingham (Post 4933915)
Has anyone attempted to make IP-acceptable mayo?

Since the ingredients are:

1 large egg
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (make sure no sugar, etc.)
1 1/3 cups vegetable or canola oil (could substitute olive oil)
4 teaspoons white wine vinegar or freshly squeezed lemon juice

Any thoughts to share?

Not sure if I'm up-to-date on the latest IP P1 protocol, but when I started IP 1 yr ago, wine vinegar was not allowed, not even white wine. The Dijon jars I looked at had carbs. There may be some that don't, though. Maybe mustard powder would do the job.

As a mayo-holic, I don't think I would be able to use the small amount that would keep within the oil guideline of 2 tsps/day.

Greyfaery 02-01-2014 11:09 PM

Walden Farms makes mayo. It's not half bad.

zephyr1973 02-02-2014 10:15 AM

I tried and tried and TRIED to like the Walden Farms products, but I just can't. I felt like I was eating horrible tasting chemicals. I have an aunt who loves it, so all the opened bottles I have, I've given to her. Works out great for us both LOL!

I just looked at a jar of dijon, and it did have carbs.

bluegingham 02-02-2014 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zephyr1973 (Post 4934399)
I tried and tried and TRIED to like the Walden Farms products, but I just can't. I felt like I was eating horrible tasting chemicals. I have an aunt who loves it, so all the opened bottles I have, I've given to her. Works out great for us both LOL!

I just looked at a jar of dijon, and it did have carbs.

I'm with you; I just don't get how they can make all those products with 0/0/0 :dizzy:

I found another recipe from The Clothes Make the Girl and the ingredients look promising...

1 egg
2 tablespoons lemon juice @ room temp
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup plus 1 cup light-tasting olive oil (Not extra virgin.)

I'm going to try it and post my results. :crossed:

mars735 02-02-2014 10:35 AM

Look forward to hearing how you like it, bluegingham. Aside from IP-friendly, it's doesn't have all the additives of store-bought. My favorite mustard powder is Coleman's. Do you know why extra virgin is avoided for this recipe?

bluegingham 02-02-2014 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mars735 (Post 4934415)
Look forward to hearing how you like it, bluegingham. Aside from IP-friendly, it's doesn't have all the additives of store-bought. My favorite mustard powder is Coleman's. Do you know why extra virgin is avoided for this recipe?

From the site:
http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com...mayo-patience/

Do not use expensive, fancy extra-virgin olive oil; the olive flavor is overpowering. I use the grocery store brand “light tasting” olive oil. It barely tastes like olives which is not so good for green salads, but is awesome for mayo. (You might try Filippo Berio or Bertoli.)

I know, I would have made a batch already, but all I have is the extra-virgin oo.

mars735 02-02-2014 10:45 AM

Thanks, bluegingham. Same here re the oil. IP allows grapeseed oil, too, which is less overpowering than olive oil (good for cooking too, due to higher smoke point than oo). I'll try that first and post.

dak1lls 02-05-2014 04:29 PM

I make Rainbow's mayo recipe and love it. I will add finely chopped dill pickle and make my own tartar sauce with a splash of hot sauce over my blackened tilapia. So good!

bluegingham 02-06-2014 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dak1lls (Post 4937098)
I make Rainbow's mayo recipe and love it. I will add finely chopped dill pickle and make my own tartar sauce with a splash of hot sauce over my blackened tilapia. So good!

Great to hear there's a good IP one out there! Is it posted in one of the recipe pages?

dak1lls 02-06-2014 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegingham (Post 4937518)
Great to hear there's a good IP one out there! Is it posted in one of the recipe pages?

Check out the mix'n in the kitch'n rainbow recipes posted at the beginning of the daily chat threads by lisa.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2