Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 10:26 AM   #241  

Height: 5'2

Question for all of you:

I am getting a lot of compliments, especially from my eyelash clients who see me every 3-4 weeks. They are saying things like "you are so teeny tiny now" and one woman yesterday said I must have reached my goal because I look fabulous. I am grateful for the compliments but I am still 14-15 lbs away from my goal and these comments are making me question whether my goal is unreasonable or attainable. It doesn't help that my coach was prepared to phase me off last week after seeing a big drop in my body fat % to a normal range. I am still not in the normal BMI range and my pant size should be smaller in my opinion. I almost wish no one would say anything at all because I fear that my brain is sending messages to my body that it is DONE and I don't feel like I'm done yet. It's really causing me to struggle too. Even though I'm back in ketosis after last week's "cheat night" I am still feeling like binge eating garbage food daily and have felt that way for weeks.

I have 4 more lash clients this weekend and I am almost dreading hearing any compliments because it is really messing with my head!

What do you all think about this? Do you think people's compliments are counter-productive and can send our bodies mixed messages and actually start to stall our weight loss?
Old 02-22-2014, 10:37 AM   #242  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephascope View Post
Question for all of you:

I am getting a lot of compliments, especially from my eyelash clients who see me every 3-4 weeks. They are saying things like "you are so teeny tiny now" and one woman yesterday said I must have reached my goal because I look fabulous. I am grateful for the compliments but I am still 14-15 lbs away from my goal and these comments are making me question whether my goal is unreasonable or attainable. It doesn't help that my coach was prepared to phase me off last week after seeing a big drop in my body fat % to a normal range. I am still not in the normal BMI range and my pant size should be smaller in my opinion. I almost wish no one would say anything at all because I fear that my brain is sending messages to my body that it is DONE and I don't feel like I'm done yet. It's really causing me to struggle too. Even though I'm back in ketosis after last week's "cheat night" I am still feeling like binge eating garbage food daily and have felt that way for weeks.

I have 4 more lash clients this weekend and I am almost dreading hearing any compliments because it is really messing with my head!

What do you all think about this? Do you think people's compliments are counter-productive and can send our bodies mixed messages and actually start to stall our weight loss?
Congrats, you've done amazing so far!

With that said, it's YOUR goal. Whenever you are happy (I think it's best done when going by your clothing size, not necessarily the number on the scale) is when you should phase off.

For another perspective...I get that all the time too, but I am definitely far from my goal. I think they are just not used to seeing you this size. My friends/family and people I haven't seen for awhile always say what you've been hearing lately, but I guarantee if I walk down the street strangers would say "that girl needs to lose weight."

It's difficult with people you've known vs. people who have never seen you at your thinnest.

Sorry for the rambling, hope it makes sense!

Last edited by IdealProteinNewbie; 02-22-2014 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:48 AM   #243  

S/C/G: 237/158/175

Height: 5'7

Steph, that hockey game would have been fun, but 5:00 am at a pub would have called for mimosas (for me) and that is a whole other NOP (not OP)moment. Lol! Had a moment at mt clinic when I realized that they did not have brownies this week. Ruined my day . I like the brownie on Sat. and Sunday morning with coffee, it is just more substantial and filling.

Luccilove, we are so funny, but living through this Arctic winter has made my heart leap joyfully for a bit of sun and warmth. I am looking forward to the Salt and vinegar crisps. Have fun at the travel show. We share that love. My favorite places to travel are Ireland and Italy.

Kooky- so glad that Suki has been freed from the cone and that he is relaxing. Have never had acupuncture, but have been tempted to find a reflexologist to help with the kankles. Your weekend sounds productive, planning is the key to IP.

I do get sick of going to the grocery store! Need to stop on my way home tonight for veggies and meat. Used to shop for a couple of weeks at a time but now, I like my produce fresher. Looking forward to having my veggie garden this summer.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:51 AM   #244  

S/C/G: 185.2/180.4/145

Height: 5'5

Steph- Thanks for noticing that I'm feeling better. I'm taking better care of myself and have been back 100% OP for 3 weeks or so. I find that when I cheat and go off plan, it messes with my mood because I get upset with myself and because ketosis is a natural mood booster. I'm feeling so much better. I'm also seeing a therapist to work through some things that were getting me down which is helping me.

As far as your last post, I can definitely identify with feeling more cravings and urges to binge when I've been off plan even just for one day. Those cravings seem to take about 1-2 weeks of being OP to go away.

As far as people's comments/compliments about your weight, it is confusing about how to take them. I think most people are truly happy for you and mean well and don't know any better that we still have more weight to lose. Only you can know what is best for you. I would stay OP and wait for the scale to keep moving you towards your healthy BMI goal. Staying OP and in ketosis will help get rid of those cravings. Trust me...I know from experience.

I'm sorry the compliments are messing with your head. That happens to me sometimes, especially when people question that I need to lose 50 more lbs. I hate the "where's it going to come from comment?" I hope you find a resolution to the conflicts going on about your goal and the cravings. You've done a fabulous job so far and look great. I say keep going because it sounds like that's what you want to do.

I think the only thing that stalls our weight loss on IP is our own behavior. Comments from others, stress, emotions, etc, can steer us off track, but ultimately if we follow the protocol, the weight will come off.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:00 AM   #245  

S/C/G: 185.2/180.4/145

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealProteinNewbie View Post
Congrats, you've done amazing so far!

With that said, it's YOUR goal. Whenever you are happy (I think it's best done when going by your clothing size, not necessarily the number on the scale) is when you should phase off.

For another perspective...I get that all the time too, but I am definitely far from my goal. I think they are just not used to seeing you this size. My friends/family and people I haven't seen for awhile always say what you've been hearing lately, but I guarantee if I walk down the street strangers would say "that girl needs to lose weight."

It's difficult with people you've known vs. people who have never seen you at your thinnest.

Sorry for the rambling, hope it makes sense!
I agree...this happens to me too. I'm now trying to either ignore the "compliments" I don't like and use the ones I do like as motivation. A simple "you look great" or "I'm so proud of you" is nice to hear. I moved to CA 4.5 years ago at 180 lbs, so no one hear has seen me at a lower weight. I've still got over 15 lbs to get to 180, but I'm ok with that. Friends/family from OH where I grew up seem to understand better that I'm trying to get back to the healthy weight at which they have seen me in the past. Regardless, I am doing this for myself and have built up a thicker skin to the comments/opinions of others since losing weight. For awhile I felt vulnerable getting more attention and upset by how shallow people can be, but now it's all about feeling good and being happy when I look in the mirror.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:14 AM   #246  

Thanks for all your feedback everyone. I think I am just getting stressed with the busy schedule I have. I work 4-5 days/week as an orthodontic assistant and I also run my own business out of my house doing eyelash extensions. This week is one of my busy weeks. I am also starting to go back to school part time (1 course, 2 nights per week) starting Tuesday. I have a work trip to Las Vegas March 12-16 which is going to derail IP. I think this is making me the most anxious because there's no way I'm trying to stay 100% in Las Vegas but at the same time, I will put weight on from that trip and it means another 2 weeks of Phase 1 to catch up. I'm wondering now if I should have put off my going back to school until I was done with IP. The cost of IP is starting to grate on me too. I know I could switch to alternatives but the accountability of the coaching is valuable. Ugh! Thanks for letting me vent
Old 02-22-2014, 11:22 AM   #247  

Steph and IPN,

So funny that this has come up,because it has been happening a lot this week. I agree Steph, it does mess with my perception of where I am in this journey.

My friend that originally did IP (she is a crossfit competitor and PE teacher) asked me if I was almost done. I said no , that I still had 20 pounds till goal. She said, really?!! I then pulled out my BMI line and she said that that was a terrible way off determining body health. She is a pretty good friend, so I grabbed my thigh and said believe me, I can still afford to lose some weight. She said to be careful because the clinic wanted my $$$.

I have been looking around at other people's body and frame. People do not say that most of them are getting too thin, so I agree with IPN. They must be comparing it to how we looked previously. I also, remember feeling fat at this weight when I was younger. I was this weight the summer after college and felt obese! So how can I be getting too thin now?

My goal is to take weight out of my mental equation. My original goal was BP and getting off Meds., done. Now, my goal is that when someone describes me, weight will not be part of the descriptors. I want to be an average weight and be viewed as healthy. If the "golden moment" idea is true with low carb diets and that the first time is the most successful, then I want this to be my last time. The other part is, I realize that other than more fruits and veggies and a little more freedom in how I cook, my life can not go back to what it was before ever.

That being said, I lay in bed this morning stunned that I am six pounds from my original goal. When I started IP, I never dreamed that I would feel so free after 4.5 months. It almost brought me to tears. To have the feeling,that I am well on my way to vanquishing my lifelong nemesis is very powerful.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:42 PM   #248  

S/C/G: 235.6/210/160

Height: 5' 2.5"

Slipfree: Down 4 is awesome!! A nice reward for not stepping on the scale during the week.

Lucci: A travel show? I would love that, enjoy!

Kooky: Glad your cat is feeling better. That is a great quote, I think I forget sometimes how far I have come and how much better I look and feel.

Steph: I think those messages can start to mess with our minds. We have all been good for so long that we want a break from good eating and to relax a little, so our mind jumps on board with that, IMO. If you want to lose more weight I think you should lose more weight. I don't think others opinions of us should alter our goals. I personally will not be happy until I see a certain number on the scale. I think if you are not going to be happy with the number on the scale when you go into maintenance, it will be harder to maintain because that is not the number you wanted. We need to be happy and proud of what we have accomplished and how we feel about our bodies. Just my opinion, not intended to sound harsh at all.

I think it is awesome some of you are so close to goal. I still have 40ish pounds to go and some days it feels like it will take forever to get there, but I will get there.

Thru this journey I have realized a couple of things 1)that losing weight is hard, no matter how much weight you have to lose. 2) I can and will get to goal, this is the first time EVER that I can say that on a diet. 3) IP is strict but I have the desire/willpower to make it work. 4) I believe I have the tools to maintain and if I gain a little I know what to do to get back to goal, quickly.

What have you learned on IP?
Old 02-22-2014, 12:50 PM   #249  

S/C/G: 642 (IPstart 395.4)/226.2/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephascope View Post
I'm a little late with the pic of my dog but there it is. How's this for a motivational quote:

If you eat what you've always eaten, you'll weigh what you've always weighed.

Have to remind myself of this daily when I want to binge on crap food. I can't understand why I want donuts so bad. That's something I never would have chosen prior to IP...
Steph: You have an adorable Wiener dog!!!!! I <3 daschunds! My mom was a breeder for quite a while, and we were involved with dog shows.. not the standard ones, but mini's. They're great dogs!
Old 02-22-2014, 01:01 PM   #250  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipfree View Post
Steph, that hockey game would have been fun, but 5:00 am at a pub would have called for mimosas (for me) and that is a whole other NOP (not OP)moment. Lol! Had a moment at mt clinic when I realized that they did not have brownies this week. Ruined my day . I like the brownie on Sat. and Sunday morning with coffee, it is just more substantial and filling.
Slip, I'm so right there with you! I was like WHAT?!?! No Brownies?!?!?!?! Totally blew my week out of the water. I've become such a creature of habit. I tried to do the brownie for breakfasts, but I just couldn't do it. I ended up being ravenously hungry midmorning. Not sure if it was because the brownie is so sweet, or if it was just a mental thing. My go to breakfast of choice is the packet chocolate drink made up with 8oz water, them microwaved for three minutes. Mix with 12oz coffee, and I'm good to go. No cream, milk, or sweetener. Lunch is where I do the switch up.. although it's become mostly chicken a la king or herb & cheese eggs. then my snack is either bbq crisps, garlic crisps, or brownies. Been on a big chocolate kick lately.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:07 PM   #251  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipfree View Post
Steph and IPN,

So funny that this has come up,because it has been happening a lot this week. I agree Steph, it does mess with my perception of where I am in this journey.

My friend that originally did IP (she is a crossfit competitor and PE teacher) asked me if I was almost done. I said no , that I still had 20 pounds till goal. She said, really?!! I then pulled out my BMI line and she said that that was a terrible way off determining body health. She is a pretty good friend, so I grabbed my thigh and said believe me, I can still afford to lose some weight. She said to be careful because the clinic wanted my $$$.

I have been looking around at other people's body and frame. People do not say that most of them are getting too thin, so I agree with IPN. They must be comparing it to how we looked previously. I also, remember feeling fat at this weight when I was younger. I was this weight the summer after college and felt obese! So how can I be getting too thin now?

My goal is to take weight out of my mental equation. My original goal was BP and getting off Meds., done. Now, my goal is that when someone describes me, weight will not be part of the descriptors. I want to be an average weight and be viewed as healthy. If the "golden moment" idea is true with low carb diets and that the first time is the most successful, then I want this to be my last time. The other part is, I realize that other than more fruits and veggies and a little more freedom in how I cook, my life can not go back to what it was before ever.

That being said, I lay in bed this morning stunned that I am six pounds from my original goal. When I started IP, I never dreamed that I would feel so free after 4.5 months. It almost brought me to tears. To have the feeling,that I am well on my way to vanquishing my lifelong nemesis is very powerful.
As of this last weigh in, I'm 2.4lbs away from being in the 200's, and 6.8lbs away from my 100lbs.. So within the next two weeks, these big goals are happening. I NEVER thought that I'd be here... I haven't seen the 200's since middle school.

I know that not many here will understand this, but you can relate to some extent. 14 years ago, I started this journey at 642lbs. Granted I'm not *that* big anymore, but there's part of me that still sees me in the mirror as that big. I'm a little discouraged that I'm closing in on another 100lbs gone, and I've lost a total of 340lbs (since the highest weight), but I've *still* got another 165lbs to go to get to goal!

So essentially, I've lost two average sized women, and I'm still morbidly obese, sigh...
Old 02-22-2014, 01:56 PM   #252  

Kawaii - Thanks for joining in the conversation today. Good to see you back. I can't believe how much weight you have lost. I feel like a jerk complaining about my last 14-15 lbs. You are doing amazingly well!

My coach had tons of brownies this week - it was the crisps I wanted! lol

Last edited by stephascope; 02-22-2014 at 08:43 PM.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:12 PM   #253  

S/C/G: 235.6/210/160

Height: 5' 2.5"

Kawaii: I wish I could give you a hug right now. I think you have done an amazing job so far and you WILL get to goal. All your hard work is paying off.
Always remember you are braver then you believe, Stronger then you seem, and smarter then you think.

Your morbidly obese comment has been something I have been thinking about lately. For me to get to a 'normal' BMI range I would need to be 141lbs at the most. When I was 18-19yo I lost 40ish pounds and I was 140lbs, I have never been that weight since and I was only 140lbs for a few weeks, I just couldn't maintain that, so I went up to 145-150 and was good there. Today I am 20 years older and have had 2 kids. I don't think the BMI is realistic. I have always wanted to be a certain number on the scale but lately I am thinking that if I get to 150 and I am still 'overweight' will I be happy with that? Is it even possible/realistic for me to even think I can get to 140 again? If I do get there how do I maintain that when I couldn't 20 years ago? I guess I am trying to say I think the BMI scales are not something I really want to look at to see how healthy I am or how much I should weigh. Is this wrong? What do you guys think about the BMI scales?
Old 02-22-2014, 07:58 PM   #254  

Height: 5 '6

Kawaii, you continue to amaze me! How inspiring to hear just a smiget of your story..... as the old commercial says... "you've come a long way baby!" Thanks for sharing.... I'll be watching for those two's and for you to hit your 100 lb loss!! Huge accomplishments! Any personal rewards planned????
Old 02-22-2014, 09:16 PM   #255  

Great conversation today. I agree with Want2be, goal weight is personal. Discussed it with my mom today. I pointed out a girl in front of us and said- she is my height, below 160 does she look too thin? My mom's response was no. It is perspective.

I also like the idea of going into the goal weight satisfied with where you are
when you begin maintenance. My fitness guru pal said BMI is not a good measure. How we feel in our body is. Right now, I still feel over weight, so I am not near done.

We are all on this journey. All we can do is keep putting one foot in front of the other until we reach our destination. It does seem long sometime, because it is hard. But did you imagine that in less than 5 months, you would be the weight you are right now? I told Kawaii, a while ago that this is not just a get to goal journey, it is for life. I will be there supporting each of you until all of our journeys to goal are done. All of you- help me focus on making my health a priority.
Closed Thread