Does everyone experience hair loss on IP?

You're on Page 2 of 4
Go to
  • I don't think I have suffered hair loss. I took Biotin right away after reading about it here. It seems to make my hair grow fast. My hair dresser has commented on how thick and heavy it is.
  • I suffered severe hair loss from about month three to month five, but it slowed down this month. I started with really thick hair and it's a little thinner now, but nothing like the way I pictured it was going to be with the amount I was losing daily. Literally a brush full every few days. I had to brush my hair before every shower or else I would clog the drain. It was disgusting. But it's better now and I'm not bald, so totally worth it. Plus, I'm saving money on shampoo...
  • Well that's a little scary.....isn't hair made of protein? Shouldn't more protein make the hair better? I have a problem with hair loss to begin with and I just started the diet on Monday and now I'm a little worried. Why does it happen and is there anything I can do since I have lost quite a bit already and want to hang on to what I have left?
  • I know some people have taken different supplements that have helped. There are other hair loss threads on here with lots of information.
  • Hair Loss/Finger Cracks
    After 2 1/2 months in I don't have any hair loss (of course, not massive amounts of wt. to lose either) but I do have very painful & persistent deep cracks in the skin at the corners of my thumbs. I have only heard about this from a couple of others on the Ideal Protein TV video comments spots. The only thing that works is Krazy Glue to seal the cracks from the air. It doesn't seem to matter how often and how much good quality skin creme I put on, it's still continuing despite full hydration and the correct amount of EVOO. I even clean off the top of the oil container and rub it into my hands when I cook. Not much else I can do, I guess. It's not that cold or dry here either (I live in the extreme western province of Canada in the south).
  • Quote: My after photo ...

Just kidding
    ha ha ha. love your sense of humor
  • I've been on IP since the beginning of Sept and have lost almost 60 pounds. I have fine, thin hair normally but have had no hair loss.
  • I am on week 11, with maybe 3 more weeks to reach my original goal (if all goes according to my coach). My hair is actually thicker than when I started IP. It was thick before. I am getting several comments on it now.
  • Quote: My after photo ...

Just kidding
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! OMG, imagine that!
  • Quote: After 2 1/2 months in I don't have any hair loss (of course, not massive amounts of wt. to lose either) but I do have very painful & persistent deep cracks in the skin at the corners of my thumbs. I have only heard about this from a couple of others on the Ideal Protein TV video comments spots. The only thing that works is Krazy Glue to seal the cracks from the air. It doesn't seem to matter how often and how much good quality skin creme I put on, it's still continuing despite full hydration and the correct amount of EVOO. I even clean off the top of the oil container and rub it into my hands when I cook. Not much else I can do, I guess. It's not that cold or dry here either (I live in the extreme western province of Canada in the south).
    Ouch that doesn't sound fun. I had dry hair & skin though not cracked. I was not 100% with getting in my oil, and did not take the omegas. Those are the two things that came to mind that you could do if you aren't already. Also, make sure you are getting the full amount of oil and compensating for any that's left in the pan after cooking. I would also ask the coach whether adding a little oil would slow your progress. Looks like you are almost finished with Phase 1.
  • No hair loss for me. In fact, while on phase 1, my hair felt softer, fuller, and healthier than normal. I chalked it up to the omega and enjoyed it. It's all pretty much back to normal now. I miss all that body!
  • I experienced some pretty alarming hair loss beginning around the 4th month. I have very thick hair so it was not noticeable to anyone else. I took Biotin and Collagen with no sign of improvement. I have been on maintenance for about 4 months and have a lot of new growth, so it comes back pretty quickly.

There are many theories as to why this happens. My doctor said it is usually about 3 months after a shock to your system that you can experience hair loss, the same as when you have a baby. And I also experienced hair loss then. He explained it can also be from a lack of nutrients but when I reviewed my daily food journal and supplements he was satified I was getting the proper nutrients.

I have heard others mention that low carb diets are known for this. However, when I did Atkins it never happened. It is funny how each person is affected so differently. My hair seemed so dry and brittle yet my skin seems so much softer and the tops of my hands are no longer scaly like a snake. Lol. No matter....I would do it all over again for the terrific results.
  • okay...i think i lost a little bit of hair but i am going through menopause (whoopie) so just chalked it up to that. fat and a head full of hair or skinny and bald with no hair...i think i would choose the skinny & bald...you can always wear a wig! The wig would probably be much more comfortable than a girdle or those spanx products...blech!
    Okay off subject...how the heck do i get my weight ticker tape to show on my posts???
  • I believe you have to have been a member for 20 days and have 20 posts before you can get the ticker to show up.
  • Thank you!
    Thank you Everyone I'm feeling a little calmer about it now that I know it's not a huge portion of people and that it is possible to make it through to my goal without hair loss. The pictures of the bald women were hilarious, but I still don't want to go there..lol..