3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Help with 10k Training and IP (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/292170-help-10k-training-ip.html)

finale 01-28-2014 08:59 AM

Help with 10k Training and IP

Hello:
Last night I went to a training session on getting prepared to run a race. Afterwards you could talk with the speaker and she asked me what I was eating and how many carbs? I said not many due to the new way of life I'm living and she said what are you doing? I said Ideal Protein and she said stop that right away, I've seen too many people on that and it screws up their metabolism forever and they gain back all their weight.....
I was thinking if this is my new way of eating for my new lifestyle as long as I have enough protein to keep my energy level up and keep hydrated I should be good. I eat the right veggies this should be fine...
While I think it is just a ploy for her to get me to train with her due to her being a personal trainer at GOLDS Gym.....

Help what are your opinions??? I really want to loose at least 40 more pounds and complete the two 10k's I have registered for in May and Sept...

ems70508 01-28-2014 09:09 AM

First off, congrats on your losses thus far. Secondly, I don't have an answer for what you need to do in regards to training but from my experience, don't let others influence your decision and your body. Sounds like she's never been on this program. You have. You know what works for your body. I suggest you continue to do what works for you because you are happy with it. Once you get to your maintenance, it'll be your decisions on how to continue eating. Sounds like the people she knows really didn't continue to make great eating decisions. I stay motivated by reading the posts and guidance from our maintainers here. It is possible. She has one side of a story and I don't think it's right for her to tell you to stop.

I did some heavier cardio last week and noticed no loss/slight gain (water retention).I think I'll return to yoga. My suggestion is that you closely monitor your body and it's response to the training. You may find yourself being counterproductive and maintaining rather than loosing. Of course you'll be gaining muscle but you don't want to burn too many calories and put your body in starvation mode either.

0ojoyo0 01-28-2014 09:16 AM

I think that's an ignorant statement. I don't believe she really knows anything about IP to talk about it like that. And of course she would rather you do it the "right way", but what these people don't understand, is that we've all tried losing the "right way", and weren't successful. Let's face it, if you're not seeing results fast enough, you're not going to stick to the program, and with IP you see instant results, which is why so many people stick with it. Will you keep the weight off if you go back to living the same lifestyle that made you overweight? Of course not! And it's not the diet's fault it those people made bad decisions about what to put in their bodies.

I considered weightloss surgery before I came across this forum. The "right way" didn't work for me. For me, IP is temporary until I get to my goal and then it's Atkins style low carb for my new lifestyle with an IP reboot once a year or so. I will always struggle with my weight, but with IP backing me, I know I can be successful in maintenence.

Sorry I can't help you as far as the cardio goes... but this struck a nerve, lol :)

finale 01-28-2014 09:27 AM

Thanks 70508 and Oojoyo0, I appreciate your words and I also believe that this is working for me and I believe that some people just do things differently. We are all different and different things work for different people.

Have a great IP Day...

Ishbel 01-28-2014 09:31 AM

According to her that might be a reality. I'm a firm believer that all diets work, they just don't work for everyone.

Ideal protein worked for me, I've had nurses in front of me diss ketosis as a way to lose weight when I was already in maintenance. So I let them shoot of their mouth and then pipe up and say "I lost with ketosis using Ideal Protein" and one actually had the nerve to say "well are you maintaining or still losing" and I said "maintenance for 1 year thanks".

She was a student nurse so I spoke to her supervisor and asked her to remind her to be VERY careful what she says to people. If I had heard that I would have not done Ideal Protein because she was a 'nurse'. Yet I did it and it worked fab for me. Her supervisor is a friend and totally agreed with me, not sure if anything was ever said.

FYI, personally I only walked during Phase 1 and saved the running for when I was done. I had a good running career until I was about 8 weeks pregnant when I was advised to stop. Now I walk and I'm itching to get back to running. I was running 8-10 km 2-3 times a week.

Chin up grasshoppah, your run time will come.

ems70508 01-28-2014 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ishbel (Post 4930308)
Chin up grasshoppah, your run time will come.

Love!

dak1lls 01-28-2014 10:04 AM

As I recall, this diet was developed by a doctor as a means for athletes to lose weight and retain lean muscle during the off season. It would seem to me that it is counterproductive to enter into a high intensity training program, such as preparation for a 10K while on Phase 1.

I know people who have regained the weight as well. As with anything, if we learn nothing while on IP we are bound to return to old/bad habits. It is very important to phase off of P1 properly to begin restarting your metabolism and pancreas. It is also very important to increase your protein consumption if you are exercising.

Many of those who have regained will tell you that they did not phase off properly and went right back to old ways of eating. Her comments would give me even more incentive to stick with it.

ColoradoCarol 01-28-2014 03:04 PM

In my opinion (and maybe somebody above said it), the right way is the way that works for you. I had weight loss surgery 4 years ago, and that didn't work. This works for me. I totally agree with/bought in to the IP way of losing weight. I have tried every other diet and none of them worked like this plan.

Also, maybe she knows 2 people that gained their weight back (all the people she knows). That isn't a good measure. I think it was a sales ploy. Also, for years and years and years, the balanced diet approach has been the mantra for all doctors, etc. But the trend is changing. We have received some daily videos from IP discussing this recently.

As far as the impact on the diet that training for a 10K will do - talk to your coach. I am sure that they will up your packets per day, which they should. From what I remember at the first meeting, an 800-900 calorie/day diet is not sufficient if you are training for such an event.

Good luck. Don't listen to the nay-sayers. Do what works for you.

finale 01-28-2014 10:28 PM

Thanks to everyone for your kind words. I'm going to keep OP and do it with IP and see where it takes me. My coach had said that if I do exercise I need to have an additional packet throughout the day and I do....I love how I feel and the possibilities are endless...