3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   IP Daily Chat (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/292136-ip-daily-chat.html)

IdealProteinNewbie 01-27-2014 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GettinHealthyNow (Post 4929485)
Good morning! So I am now slowly and cautiously making the move to alternatives - the IP packets are just too expensive. I've been OP close to five months and still have 2-3 months to go on P1. I've scoured the alternative threads for information and have been studying nutrition labels, I'm ready to take the plunge - but have one question for you experts out there. How do you calculate the "30% or less calories from fat" ? Here's a label from a carton of Muscle Milk Lite for example.

Calories 100
Fat 2.6 g
Saturated 0.5g
+Trans 0g
Cholesterol 10 mg
Sodium 270 mg
Potassium 520 mg
Carbohydrate 5 g
Fibre 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 15 g

Based on this - how would you make that calculation?

You need the calories from fat, then just multiply by 3. If it's less than the total calories it's less than 30% calories from fat.

It's an overall guideline...for example IP's wafers and soy nuts are both more than 30% calories from fat.

GettinHealthyNow 01-27-2014 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IdealProteinNewbie (Post 4929512)
You need the calories from fat, then just multiply by 3. If it's less than the total calories it's less than 30% calories from fat.

It's an overall guideline...for example IP's wafers and soy nuts are both more than 30% calories from fat.

Yes...but is there any way to know WHAT are the calories from fat if it's not on the label? Is that a calculation you can make from the other info, or if it's not there then there's no way to know?

mars735 01-27-2014 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GettinHealthyNow (Post 4929515)
Yes...but is there any way to know WHAT are the calories from fat if it's not on the label? Is that a calculation you can make from the other info, or if it's not there then there's no way to know?

Fat has 9 calories/gram. Carbs & protein about 4 cal/gram. (Technically it's kilocalories & usually that's assumed when talking about food calories)

65X65 01-27-2014 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GettinHealthyNow (Post 4929515)

Try product web site...food labeling in the US is probably different, as a lot more is now required by law over the last few years.

lighthouse101 01-27-2014 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drd1961 (Post 4929321)
YaY OoJoy! We are the same height and close to the same goal weight. I am wearing 6's, so look forward to that!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0ojoyo0 (Post 4929334)
Thanks! I can't wait to be in 6's; I would love to retire these 12's and 14's like I did my 22's. Hope you feel better!

Clothing sizes can be so fickle. I am the same height as you ladies and am currently in a somewhat loose 14 and can just squeeze into some 12s. Not sure if I'll ever get into a 6 with my body shape (although who knows what will happen in another 30 lbs or so). I try to think of the overall way I look and feel in clothes as my motivator, rather than the actual clothing size.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FutureFitChick (Post 4929373)
lighthouse101, being out on a bike in the weather I'm experiencing sounds like pure torture! I hope you had fun.

Yes, it would be awful in some of the cold temps I've been hearing about! I live in a warm climate though, so we can be outside all year round. :)

All the best for your surgery.

Quote:

Originally Posted by schenectady (Post 4929457)
Hooray Monday with two celebrations coursing through me joyously:

Made half my goal today, lost 55 with 55 to go but I actually started my quest 81 pounds ago at my highest, and second, today is my 24th wedding anniversary. For my husband's present, I put on a beautiful workout suit he gave me 23 years ago, the first year we were married and I was never able to fit into it. I saved it all those years, determined that somehow, someday, I would wear it again.

Being that I am not a saver, and neither is he, he was incredibly touched that I had saved that all those years, through three kids, moves, house cleanings, whatever.

Moral to the story: NEVER GIVE UP, it is NEVER too late, you can NEVER try too many times, the war is NEVER over!

Congrats on being halfway to goal and on your anniversary! I hope you have a wonderful day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GettinHealthyNow (Post 4929485)
Good morning! So I am now slowly and cautiously making the move to alternatives - the IP packets are just too expensive. I've been OP close to five months and still have 2-3 months to go on P1. I've scoured the alternative threads for information and have been studying nutrition labels, I'm ready to take the plunge - but have one question for you experts out there. How do you calculate the "30% or less calories from fat" ? Here's a label from a carton of Muscle Milk Lite for example.

Calories 100
Fat 2.6 g
Saturated 0.5g
+Trans 0g
Cholesterol 10 mg
Sodium 270 mg
Potassium 520 mg
Carbohydrate 5 g
Fibre 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 15 g

Based on this - how would you make that calculation?

A gram of fat has 9 calories, so you would multiple the fat grams by 9. That number would have to be 30% or less of the total calories. So in your example, the 2.6 X 9 = 23.4, which is 23.4% of 100 calories - well under the 30%.
That's the way I usually calculate - if anyone knows another way or an easier way, do share!

nolasmurf 01-27-2014 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssubert (Post 4929503)
On my home scale, I am down 18 pounds ( from Dec 17).
I'll weigh in with my coach this afternoon. Crossing fingers, feels like I am down about 3 pounds this week.

Am I the only one that wears the exact same clothes to each weigh-in??

I did when I was going to a clinic, well until the clothes were falling off. I would wear a pair of cotton yoga pants, and a tshirt. When they got big the couch said it was too much extra fabric so I went and bought the exact same ones in a smaller size.

GettinHealthyNow 01-27-2014 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lighthouse101 (Post 4929530)

A gram of fat has 9 calories, so you would multiple the fat grams by 9. That number would have to be 30% or less of the total calories. So in your example, the 2.6 X 9 = 23.4, which is 23.4% of 100 calories - well under the 30%.
That's the way I usually calculate - if anyone knows another way or an easier way, do share!

Thank you so much, that's exactly what I was looking for! :D

65X65 01-27-2014 10:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I did the same thing when I was on the program...It also became easier once it was summer...now with winter...it is a bit harder for those who are still doing weekly weighins with a coach.

I say ...layer light T-neck and some light pants with a cardigan sweater...and kick those boots off...mine weigh a ton more than the sandals from last summer that's for sure! Also..weigh at home so you can see the bare truth...if you want to. It depends on how much you wnat to track that number since there are other things that count more as you move closer to goal...

[ATTACH]45652[/[ATTACH] Thought it was time for a new selfie...in winter clothes!

0ojoyo0 01-27-2014 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65X65 (Post 4929544)
I did the same thing when I was on the program...It also became easier once it was summer...now with winter...it is a bit harder for those who are still doing weekly weighins with a coach.

I say ...layer light T-neck and some light pants with a cardigan sweater...and kick those boots off...mine weigh a ton more than the sandals from last summer that's for sure! Also..weigh at home so you can see the bare truth...if you want to. It depends on how much you wnat to track that number since there are other things that count more as you move closer to goal...

[ATTACH]45652[/[ATTACH] Thought it was time for a new selfie...in winter clothes!

You're gorgeous!! I love your boots!

Staceyhay 01-27-2014 11:11 AM

I'm on day 7 and will weigh in later this afternoon. I have been reading this forum and am so thankful to all of you here. I've learned a lot and am encouraged through this first week. Here is my question. I was given a weeks worth of food and told to eat certain things each day. Today I was to drink the cappuccino drink for breakfast and I haven't been able to find out if it has caffeine in it. Does it? Also, because of that I am eating the lunch packet for breakfast which are the cheese curls. Is that ok to have mixed them up?

MarisolParisol 01-27-2014 11:14 AM

I want one of those cute progress bars everyone has, but I can't figure out how to add one. :} Can someone let me know? THANKS :)

IdealProteinNewbie 01-27-2014 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Staceyhay (Post 4929562)
I'm on day 7 and will weigh in later this afternoon. I have been reading this forum and am so thankful to all of you here. I've learned a lot and am encouraged through this first week. Here is my question. I was given a weeks worth of food and told to eat certain things each day. Today I was to drink the cappuccino drink for breakfast and I haven't been able to find out if it has caffeine in it. Does it? Also, because of that I am eating the lunch packet for breakfast which are the cheese curls. Is that ok to have mixed them up?

As long as you're having 3 packets per day (only 1 restricted) you can eat any of your packets at anytime. If you want Southwest Curls for breakfast, go for it!

Cappuccino is decaf!

MarisolParisol 01-27-2014 11:34 AM

Would anyone be able to advise if substituting the IP omelette with 2 hard boiled whole eggs is equal to the IP pack? I prefer to eat whole foods to powder mixes when it's a simple thing like the breakfast. I still use IP products for lunch and snack though. I have heard from various sources on here that 3 egg whites or 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites are comparable but I just want to get the final word on what that is. Also I wouldn't want my breakfast eggs to add to my already 8oz of natural protein that is part of the protocol. ( I don't currently have a coach as they quit so I am trying to figure some small details out on my own). Thanks for your patience...

nolasmurf 01-27-2014 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarisolParisol (Post 4929563)
I want one of those cute progress bars everyone has, but I can't figure out how to add one. :} Can someone let me know? THANKS :)

You'll need 20 posts I believe before you can add a ticker to up your signature. Check the top post in this thread, also called the "sticky" for details.

lighthouse101 01-27-2014 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65X65 (Post 4929544)

You look beautiful! Thanks for sharing the pic.