Old 01-23-2014, 09:46 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 228/173.5/160

Height: 5'7"

I'm very sorry for your loss. I, too, had a pretty emotional loss early Tuesday am. Being a lifetime emotional eater, it was surprising that I was so devastated that I ate and drank nothing on Tuesday and into Wednesday.

On Wednesday, I told myself I would only have a few noodles and have pho. Check. But then I ate about 3-4 pieces of king cake.

Today, I had a talk with myself. Emotional overeating is what got me here and it won't bring her back. So I'm back on plan, but have to say I'm worried too about how much this will hurt my progress this week. But also realize that there is nothing I can do except stay on plan and move on
Agilechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:47 AM   #17  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agilechick View Post
I'm very sorry for your loss. I, too, had a pretty emotional loss early Tuesday am. Being a lifetime emotional eater, it was surprising that I was so devastated that I ate and drank nothing on Tuesday and into Wednesday.

On Wednesday, I told myself I would only have a few noodles and have pho. Check. But then I ate about 3-4 pieces of king cake.

Today, I had a talk with myself. Emotional overeating is what got me here and it won't bring her back. So I'm back on plan, but have to say I'm worried too about how much this will hurt my progress this week. But also realize that there is nothing I can do except stay on plan and move on
Sorry you're having a rough time. But good for you for recognizing that you were overeating for emotional reasons rather than hunger. I cannot think of one situation in my life that was improved by overeating. Learning to be in control of the food and not the other way around is a great feeling - takes some practice but you can do it!

And yes, eating off plan will probably set you back a few days but just stay OP and you will be fine. Use the "slip" to make you more determined to do IP right. Remember how you felt eating of plan the next time you feel like doing it. And remember, the more you use your determination muscle the stronger it gets and the easier it is to stay OP.

Be nice to yourself - you've had a rough time. Read a good book, take a long bath, do something just for you that you enjoy. Dieting is hard work and you deserve to be pampered!
Ruth Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:21 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 297/IP start 270/201/160

Height: 5 foot 6

Default Determination Muscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Ann View Post
Sorry you're having a rough time. But good for you for recognizing that you were overeating for emotional reasons rather than hunger. I cannot think of one situation in my life that was improved by overeating. Learning to be in control of the food and not the other way around is a great feeling - takes some practice but you can do it!

And yes, eating off plan will probably set you back a few days but just stay OP and you will be fine. Use the "slip" to make you more determined to do IP right. Remember how you felt eating of plan the next time you feel like doing it. And remember, the more you use your determination muscle the stronger it gets and the easier it is to stay OP.
RuthAnn - I love your use of the phrase 'determination muscle'. What a great visual that gives me to remind me that I have to practice and practice being firm with myself when in moments that could bring on emotional eating.

That is a great thing for me to remember and to call into my mind. You are so right that there has never been a moment when emotional eating has made things better, only worse, often starting a landslide of eating.

Thank you, as always.
schenectady is offline   Reply With Quote