3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Alternative products that will work on Phase 1 part 3 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/291417-alternative-products-will-work-phase-1-part-3-a.html)

mckaren4 01-10-2014 08:39 PM

I ordered my first order from Nashua on January 4th
The weather must be causing g havoc with my order
I received a notice to expect delivery next Friday.
Its hard to be patient for that first order.....

JLUS 01-10-2014 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mckaren4 (Post 4916381)
I ordered my first order from Nashua on January 4th
The weather must be causing g havoc with my order
I received a notice to expect delivery next Friday.
Its hard to be patient for that first order.....

Yes, they closed for a couple snow days and then UPS also got backed up PLUS they had way more orders than usual (new year, new dieters!!)

Rest assured they are usually INCREDIBLY FAST!

mckaren4 01-12-2014 01:31 AM

Thank you for the questbar thread!

PurpleMomster 01-12-2014 11:48 AM

Hi all!

I am currently phasing off (in P3 at the moment) for a trip to Mexico and have started to incorporate some alternatives - added a Pure Protein bar for my snack (thanks to Susie for the recommendation!). When I start back on P1, I'd like to incorporate some more.

My question is - while I enjoy the shakes and drinks, I do like to eat something for breakfast occasionally, not just have a shake. What are some other alternative ideas for breakfasts?

I'm going to finish reading through the threads but if there are some ideas you could share, that would be great. Thanks!

Jo

lisa32989 01-12-2014 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PurpleMomster (Post 4917513)
Hi all!

I am currently phasing off (in P3 at the moment) for a trip to Mexico and have started to incorporate some alternatives - added a Pure Protein bar for my snack (thanks to Susie for the recommendation!). When I start back on P1, I'd like to incorporate some more.

My question is - while I enjoy the shakes and drinks, I do like to eat something for breakfast occasionally, not just have a shake. What are some other alternative ideas for breakfasts?

I'm going to finish reading through the threads but if there are some ideas you could share, that would be great. Thanks!

The omelet packs have always worked for me. There are omelets from the alt sites too.
Those and the zucchini muffins or same recipe made into a pancake. I used to do the oatmeal until I couldn't have soy anymore. Then I switched to banana, wild berry, or lemon.

Sashadee 01-12-2014 03:37 PM

I'm currently obsessed with the Chocorite peanut butter protein shake powder. It's soooo good! It has 24g protein per serving but it keeps me really satisfied. I've also tried the banana cream which is also good and mixes well with the peanut butter flavor.

mckaren4 01-12-2014 04:40 PM

Quote:

Hi all!

Jo

Lisa gave you some great suggestions-other ideas include having an egg white omlet, making a waffle out of the puddings, oatmeal, search the recipes for what you feel like having. I even saw cookies made out of quest bars-the genius of posters is amazing! You can always have your protein for breakfast-steak and eggs and have the packets the rest of the day. You can make the plan work for you within the protocol

JLUS 01-12-2014 04:56 PM

Quote:

Hi all!

Jo

I love the Honey Nut Soy Cereal from ProtiDiet. Unrestricted and costs around $13 for 7. I shake a tiny bit of vanilla whey powder on it and add some cold water to make "milk." IT has a very light sweetness so I do't need any added.

I also love their oatmeal which is also unrestricted. I buy the large container for $28/20 servings. I mix it up w/cold water and micro it for 2 mins (instead of using hot water and stirring w/o cooking as the directions suggest. I think the micro cooks it better and I like the way it thickens.) I shake a little cinnamon on it and sometimes make the "milk" as well.

These along with 1 egg/3 egg whites scrambled with veggies are my "go to" breakfasts. I prefer my shakes and bars for lunch and/or snacks and having something more "traditional" for bfast!

Emmcakes 01-12-2014 05:27 PM

Sorry if this has already been addressed but I haven't found a clear answer to this...

I went to Costco today and found Premier Protein shakes. I bought a pack of 18 for $19.99 because it was low in carbs and fat. However, it has a lot of protein and more calories than typical unrestricted IP products. Each shake contains 160 calories, 3 g fat, 5g carbs (3 of which are finer), 30 g protein. Would this be okay for an unrestricted serving?

Alternatively, I could measure out 225 ml from 325 ml each shake in order to get 104 calories per serving.

Thanks for your input!

lisa32989 01-12-2014 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emmcakes (Post 4917737)
Sorry if this has already been addressed but I haven't found a clear answer to this...

I went to Costco today and found Premier Protein shakes. I bought a pack of 18 for $19.99 because it was low in carbs and fat. However, it has a lot of protein and more calories than typical unrestricted IP products. Each shake contains 160 calories, 3 g fat, 5g carbs (3 of which are finer), 30 g protein. Would this be okay for an unrestricted serving?

Alternatively, I could measure out 225 ml from 325 ml each shake in order to get 104 calories per serving.

Thanks for your input!

That is a lot of protein. IP products have approximately 15 g.
If you drank half, you'd have 15 g and 80 cals, which is more like an IP product.

This is why I choose to use the items from Nashua Nutrition. They fit the IP protocol better.

SuzieV 01-12-2014 07:41 PM

Quote:

Hi all!

Jo

I usually have a cinnamon roll quest bar but when I have time, I like pancakes & waffles made from the maple oatmeal and omelets with veggies. I'm shocked at how much I prefer the quest bar for breakfast. Good luck in finding what works for you :)

lighthouse101 01-12-2014 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuzieV (Post 4917836)
I usually have a cinnamon roll quest bar but when I have time, I like pancakes & waffles made from the maple oatmeal and omelets with veggies. I'm shocked at how much I prefer the quest bar for breakfast. Good luck in finding what works for you :)

I also prefer the Quest bars at breakfast time. I find them to be very filling and it's such a nice treat to have one with my morning coffee.

PurpleMomster 01-12-2014 08:10 PM

Thank you all! You have given me some great suggestions - I had forgotten about the 1 egg/3 egg white and veggies omelet, that would be yummy!

I can order a few of the items from here in Canada at Low Carb Grocery but I may just put in a big order on Nashua when I get back from Mexico.

Thanks again for all your help!
Jo

mckaren4 01-12-2014 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emmcakes (Post 4917737)

Thanks for your input!

You are wise to be aware of this issue in using alternatives and comparing them to ip.
personally I exercise moderately every day and figure having 2 full premier protein drinks is giving me an extra drink per day (I also eat a bar a day) and I am ok with that-If I am not happy with my weight loss average-I will start measuring and be more disciplined in how much I am drinking .
my fitbit pedometer syncs and allocates exercise calories to my fitness pal-so I am monitoring both nutrition and exercise and so far its working for me.
good luck!!!

djs06 01-12-2014 09:55 PM

Emmcakes- when I did IP alts the first time around (year and a half ago), I drank one of those in my coffee every day and didn't count it as a restricted. My weight loss definitely slowed down significantly after not very long, to the point of losing almost nothing after 2.5 months although it was very fast at first, and looking back I think the calories were too high (on average, I had one of those plus a restricted that was 150-200 calories every day, plus mostly red meat rather than chicken/turkey).

Obviously I can't 'blame' just the shake but I do think it's a bit high and I might have been over-proteining somewhat. I'd maybe either split in half or save it for days when you might need an extra protein bump (long days, long time between meals, etc).