Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 11:58 AM   #496  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner68girl View Post
Bellamack:

I too am post-meno - I went in to premature ovarian failure at age 37 and I'm now 46. I do believe the HRT has a lot to do with the slow weight loss as I'm taking in extra hormones to get me through to age 50! I agree - a loss is a loss and to count those victories!
What do you think about not eating enough calories? Do you buy in to the theory that your body goes in to starvation and holds on to extra weight if you don't feed it enough? I think about those contestants on 'Survivor' who hardly eat for 37 days and end up coming home lighter. Doesn't make sense to me! I doubt that I'm eating more than a 1000 calories a day...
I had a total hysterectomy at about age 45 (I'm 51 now) and had been on HRT ever since. About the time I started IP I went off the HRT until a few months ago when I started having really severe hot flashes and night sweats. Back onto HRT I went. Because we store estrogen in our fat, losing weight first releases and then depletes those stores.

In my opinion, unless you are really, really active I think you'd have to go a lot less than 1000 calories a day before hitting "starvation mode".
Old 03-07-2014, 12:51 PM   #497  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

I had a total hysterectemy at 39, I kept one ovary ( the doctor "cleaned" it up for me, I had horrible endometreosis and had surgery before for it. We wanted another child, but it didn't happen. I have one beautiful daughter though) I never took the HRT, I am now 56, so the combo of Thyroid and post meno is tough. I had shoulder surger 6 months ago and knee surgery in december, so the slower activity has also been a factor, but I am ramping that up now.

I know the body goes into starvation, by background is BioChemistry, so yes it does happen. The biggest thing with IP is that I personally think we should have a bit more "fat" like avocado or other healthy fats. We need fat to process other foods and our skin (esp my age) needs it, it is also very good for your hair & it helps us absorb vitamins. So, I (not toting that others should) am thinking in 2 more weeks (if losses are super low) adding some more "good" fat, like maybe 1/4 of an Avocado per day and see if that helps. I have to prescription Vit D because mine is so low and so was B12, although my B12 was normal in december after supplementing. I am also doing gluten-free since the first of the year. I am not super strict, but on this diet there is very little gluten. My doctor and I are seeing if that will help my Vit D levels, she thinks I am not absorbing and that can be a gluten problem. Hence, adding in a little more fat may help also. Sorry for the long post.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:51 PM   #498  

Default suepooh

I love this site and am so thankful that I found it!! I am on day 4 of IP , I am so hoping for a loss when I weigh in.. I have severe food allegergies to nuts, peanuts , and seafood.
so I take take the vegetarian,no seafood omega3,
and I am thinking that I will not be able to eat any of the bars that everybody is raving about. Can anybody with allergies give me some insight
thanks
Old 03-07-2014, 02:32 PM   #499  

S/C/G: 156/148/111

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamack View Post
I had a total hysterectemy at 39, I kept one ovary ( the doctor "cleaned" it up for me, I had horrible endometreosis and had surgery before for it. We wanted another child, but it didn't happen. I have one beautiful daughter though) I never took the HRT, I am now 56, so the combo of Thyroid and post meno is tough. I had shoulder surger 6 months ago and knee surgery in december, so the slower activity has also been a factor, but I am ramping that up now.

I know the body goes into starvation, by background is BioChemistry, so yes it does happen. The biggest thing with IP is that I personally think we should have a bit more "fat" like avocado or other healthy fats. We need fat to process other foods and our skin (esp my age) needs it, it is also very good for your hair & it helps us absorb vitamins. So, I (not toting that others should) am thinking in 2 more weeks (if losses are super low) adding some more "good" fat, like maybe 1/4 of an Avocado per day and see if that helps. I have to prescription Vit D because mine is so low and so was B12, although my B12 was normal in december after supplementing. I am also doing gluten-free since the first of the year. I am not super strict, but on this diet there is very little gluten. My doctor and I are seeing if that will help my Vit D levels, she thinks I am not absorbing and that can be a gluten problem. Hence, adding in a little more fat may help also. Sorry for the long post.
Bellamack:

I like the idea of adding extra fat - I do think that is a big factor. I love avocados so I will try that. Thanks for the helpful tips!
Old 03-07-2014, 03:11 PM   #500  

S/C/G: 323/312/180

Height: 5'8"

Hi All,

I am new to IP although I used a similar program to lose over 100 pounds 8 years ago. I have regained much of that and am committed to finally losing the excess weight and keeping it off. I am on my second day but doing okay. It is extremely helpful that I know what to expect. I am very excited about IP and the differences that I see from my previous plan.
It is wonderful to have access to such supportive and experienced people in this forum!

Last edited by lahlahb; 03-07-2014 at 03:13 PM. Reason: missed word
Old 03-07-2014, 03:12 PM   #501  

S/C/G: 253/246/170

Height: 5'7"

Default Newbie looking for support

Hello eveyone - I am brand new to this website and the ideal protein diet. This is day 4 for me and I am down almost 7 lbs - so I am highly motivated. Would love to share this journey with others. I am so tired of being overweight!!!
Old 03-07-2014, 03:26 PM   #502  

S/C/G: 156/148/111

Height: 5'0"

Thumbs up

Welcome MaggieMaggieMay!!
I'm glad we have each other to support along this journey! Also glad to see a fellow Canadian, too! Good to see you're having good results so far with the program. Here's to a new us!
Closed Thread