Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 08:54 PM   #166  

Location: Frederick Colorado (about 20 miles north of Denver)

S/C/G: 265/see ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoerba View Post
I had a great day today! Thank you for the tips on the salt and water. I have been getting my water in but not necessarily my salt, so I will work on that! I woke up feeling pretty lethargic and low energy and even had a moment where I questioned if I could continue - but then as the day went on and I had my breakfast, I started feeling a lot better. Today is actually the best I've felt since starting so, horray! Also, just so nobody is worried about me - I don't have a medical issue that relates to fainting. I have fainted a few times in my life when I saw large quantities of blood or, when I was a kid, I would faint when I had to get shots. The feeling of a faint coming on is pretty distinctive. I am happy to say that I haven't felt that way today though!

Thank you for the few recipe ideas. I've been scouring the web and hope to spice it up a bit.

I've been weight myself every day and the last three days the scale hasn't budged - but I am still down over 7 pounds from where I started, so I'm okay with it. My 'official' weigh in will be Saturday morning. I'm actually thinking next week of hiding my scale, not sure though.

Have a great Friday. Love the new pics and success stories from several of you veterans!
Super. Glad that you are feeling better. You said that you are scouring the web for recipe ideas, have you tried Pinterest? I have heard mention of there being IP recipes on there. I am going to start looking for recipes too. I haven't used many, but I am in a rut and needs to change things up.

Congratulations on getting off to a good start and making it through the "ketosis flu"
Old 01-09-2014, 09:23 PM   #167  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

So much good info and positive energy here today - I love it!

I had the day from h*ll today, but ended it by going and getting my nails done with sis who I hadn't seen in a couple of weeks. So that made it a positive day!

Lisa: I love the new pic - you look so happy!

I was pretty amazed by the numbers the doc gave me too - especially after I did the math. No wonder my poor ankles and feet were swollen all the time and hurt! I've noticed a marked decrease in my knees and hips too.

But now I'm having to find new sleeping positions - thinking of getting a body pillow to sleep against. I've noticed that without all the padding, the bones seem to clank together a bunch at night.

I don't do a restricted every day - I realized I was looking forward to them just a bit too much. I don't think they hampered my weight loss any, just trying to pay attention to what is happening. I still have them several times a week, but trying to change my palate a little bit.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:39 PM   #168  
Started IP May 17, 2013

S/C/G: 287/179/150

Height: 5'7.5"

An interesting article that talks not only about the benefits of low carb but also where the different carb ranges take us in terms of achieving some of those benefits

How Many Carbs Should You Eat Per Day To Lose Weight
Old 01-10-2014, 06:12 AM   #169  

S/C/G: 190/137.5/140

Height: 5-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annik View Post
An interesting article that talks not only about the benefits of low carb but also where the different carb ranges take us in terms of achieving some of those benefits

Interesting article. I think I am not that carb sensitive. I seem to get into ketosis easily and also lose at a higher level of carbs. This article explains why because I have done heavy duty weight lifting for over 30 years.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:26 AM   #170  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:

Annie-

Thx so much. Great site and info. Interestingly, the first link I clicked to read the research article took me to one by Jeff Volek, who co-authored "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" which I found very helpful as I was transitioning last fall!!

As much info as there is about maintenance and dieting ...we do all really need to find what will work in maintenance for each of us just as we needed to find the right diet to lose.

Going back to a full diet will will put me back where I was before IP and I know that. Any help managing a low carb lifestlye as my "rest of life" path is helpful and appreciated. Much of the info Maile has shared us is also invaluable to those of us who are reckoning with this as our reality. As I suspected, the IP path that allows a lot more carbs to be added will not be possible for me and going slow along with daily weighing once I was P4 showed me that in a matter of days...so I was able to back up before it became a problem. Also what IP terms a regular "cheat day" (hate that word...it is not cheating...and if your metabolism is normal...it is not something you should feel guilty about!) is not a good thing for me because it is possible (although not always probable) that making the choice to have a whole day with no thought to what I know to be my truth .... will have consequences! After testing the water, I am good with living this way because I will be happy if I can celebrate birthdays or life events with an evening or meal that is beyond the daily lifestyle choice I've made on occasion. This site has some really good info for someone with my metabolic issues, including how to manage outside of my "truth" when I want or need to, with out going completely in a dark hole!

Thanks...I'm planning on subscribing to some of the RSS feeds once I have more time to comb through it. There is a LOT there!!

Last edited by 65X65; 01-10-2014 at 08:27 AM.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:30 AM   #171  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Quote:

Thanks Annik for posting this - really interesting info! I know that I will never be able to go back to eating the way I did before and am going to have to have a maintenance plan for the rest of my life. I suspect it will take a little trial and error as to how many carbs I can have and still stay in my "safe zone".

Looking forward to the weekend. Nothing planned except for the football game tomorrow and I could use the rest - been a long week.

Have a great day all!
Old 01-10-2014, 09:12 AM   #172  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Ann View Post
Thanks Annik for posting this - really interesting info! I know that I will never be able to go back to eating the way I did before and am going to have to have a maintenance plan for the rest of my life. I suspect it will take a little trial and error as to how many carbs I can have and still stay in my "safe zone".

Looking forward to the weekend. Nothing planned except for the football game tomorrow and I could use the rest - been a long week.

Have a great day all!
Good thought and wording Ruth Ann!!
P4 for some of us needs a trial and error week or two with anyone who thinks normal level of carbs will be public enemy #1 for them and a game plan to reel it in!
Old 01-10-2014, 09:38 AM   #173  

S/C/G: 193/162/162

Height: 5' 6

I appreciate all this info as I start phase 4 next week and am very nervous about how my body will react! I am phasing off for a holiday but it will show me how I can handle more carbs. I will be back on Phase 1 when I return to lose the rest of this weight. I am happy to hear the feedback from ones that have been on this plan a lot longer and are successful. I realize everyone is different and will see how my body reacts. Thanks!
Old 01-10-2014, 09:46 AM   #174  

Default 1 Year. Happy Place.

Today is the 1 year mark of starting IP for me.

If I can share one thing about my life that is better with everyone, it is that the last thought in my head before going to sleep and the first thought that lets me know I am awake and it is a new day is no longer.."How can I lose this weight?"

That dominated my head for years...and yes, one of my preoccupations is now "How do I maintain?"...but this place is so much better. Not depressing. Not self defeating. Not negative. It is a good place. A happy place.

Wishing all the new starts and restarts arrival to that place this year.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:57 AM   #175  

S/C/G: 193/162/162

Height: 5' 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65X65 View Post

If I can share one thing about my life that is better with everyone, it is that the last thought in my head before going to sleep and the first thought that lets me know I am awake and it is a new day is no longer.."How can I lose this weight?"

That dominated my head for years...and yes, one of my preoccupations is now "How do I maintain?"...but this place is so much better. Not depressing. Not self defeating. Not negative. It is a good place. A happy place.

Thats so positive! Thanks for that!
Old 01-10-2014, 10:53 AM   #176  

Happy IP birthday 65!
I hope to be well into maintenance when I celebrate another IP birthday this year

I made it to a stretching class at my gym today. It is actually called a Foam Roller Release class and works all the knots out slowly and gently. I finally quit coughing enough to go! Now that I'm home and have ventured out in the cold, I'm coughing a little but I think the worst may be behind me.

I've been reflecting on my time off p1. I had sure slipped back into some snacking behavior that I was worried was going to be a problem on my return to P1. Luckily (?) I got sick and lost my appetite at the same time I was retuning to p1. It made it easy-peasy to just jump back into p1 without all that extra food. It is sooo easy to add extra stuff back in that we do not need.

I wasn't tracking carefully enough. Live & learn. Perhaps because I knew it was temporary? Anyway, back to the routine of tracking to carry me through p1 and into maintenance. When I don't want to track, it means I'm wanting to avoid seeing it.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:02 AM   #177  

S/C/G: 297/IP start 270/201/160

Height: 5 foot 6

Default Celebrate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65X65 View Post

65X65 - there is no one I could be happier to see celebrate the one year anniversary than you. Sincere congratulations!

I have to agree that one thing that makes me happy is not waking up hating myself for not getting my weight under control the previous day. I now wake up planning my IP meal and setting my schedule to allow going to the gym even though it is far from my favorite activity.

The marking of one year on IP will bring me great satisfaction because this is something I am doing for myself - with a great deal of support from people like you.

So remember as you happily celebrate your one year, know that you have incorporated others into your success. Thanks!
Old 01-10-2014, 12:15 PM   #178  
Started IP 12/26/13

S/C/G: 205.6/171.2/145

Height: 5'6"

Sharing a small victory with you all. Last night I made cookies for my kids. Not full-blown homemade, but just the simple pre-made dough you buy in the store. Felt like I'd make them a "treat" for their lunch today and let them have one last night. The victory for me? I didn't eat any...not even a tiny bit of the dough. In the past, I would've eaten a chunk of the dough and a few of the cookies. Didn't even lick my fingers. I bagged up the ones for their lunches and had them eat one...and we were done with it. No cheating for me! Oh and then I realized that I hadn't eaten my snack yet, so I enjoyed my butterscotch pudding with a smile on my face.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:49 PM   #179  

Location: Frederick Colorado (about 20 miles north of Denver)

S/C/G: 265/see ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jendilly View Post
Sharing a small victory with you all. Last night I made cookies for my kids. Not full-blown homemade, but just the simple pre-made dough you buy in the store. Felt like I'd make them a "treat" for their lunch today and let them have one last night. The victory for me? I didn't eat any...not even a tiny bit of the dough. In the past, I would've eaten a chunk of the dough and a few of the cookies. Didn't even lick my fingers. I bagged up the ones for their lunches and had them eat one...and we were done with it. No cheating for me! Oh and then I realized that I hadn't eaten my snack yet, so I enjoyed my butterscotch pudding with a smile on my face.
Good for you!!! Wow, what an accomplishment. I have pretty strong will power, but I don't think I could have done that. I love cookies. I usually bake at Christmas and I didn't this year because I didn't want to set my self up for a possible slip.

Super NSV:
Old 01-10-2014, 01:20 PM   #180  

S/C/G: 297/IP start 270/201/160

Height: 5 foot 6

lisa32989 - I love the new photo everytime I read one of your entries. You look as if you are ready to start the new year with a huge burst of energy...many successes to follow!
Closed Thread