Old 11-29-2013, 01:58 PM   #1  
Started IP 10/30/13

S/C/G: 273/248/150

Height: 5'1"

Default Cheated yesterday, lost 1/2 pound?

I cheated after swearing I'd be 100% OP. I had a spoonful of stuffing, scalloped corn, creamed cucumbers, 2 slices of cranberry sauce and not 1 but 2 pieces of pie. I'm so ashamed and was so worried last night!

I woke up today and was half a pound down. I wasn't quite sure what exactly to expect, but definitely not that! On top of that, I was horrible with my packets and water yesterday, didn't get all of that stuff in.

So far today, I feel perfectly normal/fine. Nothing that would make me feel or think I was out of ketosis. No headache, no real hunger, no bloating.... I feel normal!

Is it safe to say that I may not have eaten enough to come out of ketosis? I was for SURE the pies did me in.
itzroxy814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 04:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

You do not have to be in ketosis to lose weight. I personally never talk about cheating, but realize this is a heated topic. Count the calories you eat and realize that 1 lb of fat equals 3500 calories. Ketosis or not. You may loose because of water retention. Water retention or loss is regulated by hormones and eating can modulate hormone balance. I have lost many times while "cheating".
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 04:51 PM   #3  
Started IP 10/30/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolo70 View Post
You do not have to be in ketosis to lose weight. I personally never talk about cheating, but realize this is a heated topic. Count the calories you eat and realize that 1 lb of fat equals 3500 calories. Ketosis or not. You may loose because of water retention. Water retention or loss is regulated by hormones and eating can modulate hormone balance. I have lost many times while "cheating".
I have heard others mention not needing to be in ketosis to lose weight and that ketosis doesn't cause fat loss. I know ketosis isn't required to lose weight... but just wondering then... why does IP want you to be in ketosis? May sound like a dumb question, sorry! lol
Old 11-29-2013, 05:05 PM   #4  
Vegetarian, Low carb

S/C/G: 180/168.1/120

Height: 5'2"

Maybe it's TMI but sometimes when I overeat for a day it stimulates my bowels and, ahem, moves things along in a way which results in a small weight loss. Could this have happened to you?
shr1nk1ngme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #5  
Started IP 10/30/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by shr1nk1ngme View Post
Maybe it's TMI but sometimes when I overeat for a day it stimulates my bowels and, ahem, moves things along in a way which results in a small weight loss. Could this have happened to you?
LOL nope, actually haven't went since before I ate dinner! lol
Old 11-29-2013, 05:14 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

Ketosis helps curb hunger and greatly reduces carb cravings. There are also a lot of people who are leptin or insulin resistant and ketosis may help weight loss in those cases. But getting your body ketone-adjusted takes a while and one day of eating a bit more carbs will not negate this. Long-term ketosis should promote fat loss while preserving muscle. This just because of the cellular processes ketosis affects. A regular diet may not preserve muscle. You can probably learn a lot on bodybuilding discussion forums because these people know what it takes to preserve muscle and loose fat. IP was developed initially to help athletes lose weight without affecting muscle mass. But carb cycling may actually be more effective for that. IP is a very low calorie diet. Without ketosis people would probably drop out due to constant hunger.
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 05:23 PM   #7  
Serial Dieter

S/C/G: 320/278/200

Height: 6'3"

The truth is ... Sometimes when we diet, our weight goes up from one day to the next. Sometimes when one goes off program (esp if it's not too much of a deviation for too long of a period) your weight might fall from one day to the next. There are a lot of reasons, but mostly (probably) it depends on the hydration level of your body when you weigh in. Your body is mostly water and water is heavy (1.5 liters weights 3.5 pounds). I wouldn't draw much conclusion from either transient short term event. You need to look at long term trend lines.

Now if you cheated every day for a month and lost 1/2 a pound every day and were down 15 pounds in a month, I would say you might have found something that works for you and keep doing it (at least until it stops working) ... but what you are posting about is just statistical "noise" in the scheme of things.

This might be a good thread to use as an example of why it's not that helpful to weigh yourself every day. Or at least it's not that helpful to make a big deal about the scale direction from a few (or one) daily weigh ins.

Weigh yourself once a week and watch the long term trend -- only when you do that are you dealing with numbers that carry some significance. If you must weigh yourself every day out of curiosity, try not to get too excited or upset about little wiggles in the line (either up or down). They mean very little.

I have been 100% on program for 4 months and my AVERAGE DAILY weight loss over those 120+ days has been 0.57 pounds lost per day. I eat and drink practically the same thing each day, exercise the same amount each day ... and given all that, I have had some morning weigh ins where I was up 0.5 to 0.75 pounds from the previous day ... and other morning weigh ins where I was down as much as 1.5 pounds. That's a 2.25 pound daily weigh in swing! So even I ... who has been like a machine in sticking to the Phase 1 IP diet and 100% completely on program with no cheats in 4 months ... have some crazy little "wiggles" in my long term trend line. Still my primary direction has been down ... dropping an average of 17 pounds a month and 70 pounds over 4 months. You cannot argue with that long term trend line! The daily wiggles (over a 1 or 2 day period) on the other hand, are pretty meaningless.

Last edited by Avalon1957; 11-30-2013 at 07:46 AM.
Avalon1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:48 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 276/-/140

Height: 5'4

That's true about not weighing yourself everyday. I know I become a slave to the scale when I'm trying to lose weight and I hate that.. but it's like an addiction to get on there and see if it's gone down any. I stress myself out a bit if I don't see the numbers go down or if I've gone up a pound. But generally.. when it comes time to weigh in.. it all balances out.

I'm glad you had a good Thanksgiving though.
OohLexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:51 PM   #9  
Superhero

S/C/G: 244/230/164

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolo70 View Post
Great attitude! I agree about not talking about cheating. You can't be on the program the rest of your life. I think you need to plan out and prepare for when you don't stick to the plan. The next day is a new day I get back to it.
Weighing yourself all the time becomes a little obsessive.
Once your body is burning it's capable of burning the extras off.
Good luck
SkinnyChiz is offline   Reply With Quote