Old 11-25-2013, 11:38 AM   #1  

Default Question on muscle loss (guy opinion would be awesome)

I posted this on the Men on IP thread but got no responses so I wanted to give it a try on the main forum.

What has been your experience with muscle loss? I previously started on nutrisystem and then switched to a very strict diet to go from 255 to 176 with 8% body fat last year. I started having really bad binges when i started testosterone treatment for a really really low T levels and my weight is up to 195 since april. I unfortunately have no choice to stop the testesterone treatment as my levels were right around the 150 zone (usual for my age should be around 700-800). It seems now that I can gain weight fairly easily and my food cravings have been off the hook; however, loosing the weight is no longer as easy as it was before. My muscle is still there but now covered with a layer of fat, would this diet help to get down to about 180?
jgreg32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:13 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

You need to exercise to stimulate muscle growth. If you incorporate strength training during IP, you will then retain muscle. It is hard - at least for a woman - to gain muscle on IP, but you should be able to keep what you already have. I think you should have no problem loosing fat. The only thing I can say (and this may not apply to men) is that IP is a tricky diet if you have an imbalance in your thyroid and sex hormones. There is also crosstalk between the systems that regulate estrogen/progesterone levels and thyroid hormone production and both are regulated indirectly by carbs. So, maybe check your hormone levels diligently and/or talk to your doctor.
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote