Old 11-24-2013, 09:52 AM   #1  

S/C/G: SW 245.6/CW 203/GW 170

Unhappy Feelingver deflated...

So, I got on my scale this morning, thinking that I was going to go down again. My clothes have been fitting much better this past week, so I wasn't expecting anything less. However, when I got on the scale, I found that I went up .5, and can't figure out why! I haven't cheated the whole time I've been on this diet, so I don't get it... I've only been doing IP for a month, and I'm already hitting a plateau... is this normal? Has anyone else had this problem?
scottysgirl7682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:56 AM   #2  

Not sure what your title means???

Typo???

Anyway...did your coach tell you there is an expected slowdown somewhere in weeks 3-5, frequently with a slight gain?
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:57 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

I say this with kindness, but you need to stay off the scale if it's going to upset you.

Being 1/2 pound up on the scale could be water, salt, hormones or, to be blunt, the fact that you need to poop.

Weigh once weekly unless you can handle it.
IdealProteinNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:47 AM   #4  
Renee~ Started IP Aug. 25

S/C/G: 186/136.4/125

Height: 5'4"

Agreed with the once a week WI. The scale can be fickle. Once a week is enough. Also, have you been exercising? Perhaps you've built some muscle, especially if your size/ inches are still decreasing.
ReenHag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:08 AM   #5  
Back at It!

S/C/G: 238/220/170

Height: 5'4 1/2

Are you on or near your period? This could have an effect.

The fact that you feel your clothes fitting better is a great sign. Inches mean more imo than the scale. The more lean mass you have on you the faster you will lose the inches.

Keep staying on track and you'll eventually see the scale move. Are you exercising? I feel that we should be getting cardio in. I do two days of intense interval training and two toning classes a week (originally 1, but moved up to two last week). I think you should get your measurements taken around the two month mark and you'll see much how you have lost in inches which is so so motivating.
Jojo381972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:14 AM   #6  
Started IP 5/13/13

S/C/G: 185/128/135

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Around week 5 I showed a gain of 1 lb. I was 100% OP. I had spent that week preparing for company, and had been cleaning, painting, and organizing. I was exhausted and had some swelling in my feet and ankles. My mistake was not adding some protein to compensate for my increased activity. I definitely should have upped my water intake. So many things can account for such a small gain. We get used to seeing the scale go down, and it can be disheartening when it goes up.

It is really important to remember we have all been there. You will not continue to gain. The best advice, as IdealProteinNewbie and Reenhag mentioned, is to stay off the scale. IP works. Relax and just follow the protocol and you will see losses in inches and weight. It can feel like a race to the "goal" line, but this really is a time for you to learn how to eat and cook and make yourself healthier for the long term. It takes a little while to relax into the program, but it will happen.
dak1lls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 01:44 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealProteinNewbie View Post
I say this with kindness, but you need to stay off the scale if it's going to upset you.

Being 1/2 pound up on the scale could be water, salt, hormones or, to be blunt, the fact that you need to poop.

Weigh once weekly unless you can handle it.
Actually, today is my weigh in day. I have been getting on the scale once mid week, but think that I need to just leave it be and only do it once.

Sorry if the title of my post looks weird. This stupid keyboard didn't want to cooperate this morning...
Old 11-24-2013, 01:53 PM   #8  

To answer all of your questions...

I have not started exercising yet. My cousin is my coach (not an official coach from IP, but she's been on the program) since I can't afford to go to a clinic. She told me to get in 30 mins. of walking per day starting this week, so my boyfriend and I are on our way to the mall right now so I can get that in (waaay too cold to go outside). She also told me that a plateau is coming, which I can guarantee is every dieter's worst nightmare. I didn't know that between weeks 3-5 you would gain, but it would be temporary. Thank you all so much for all of your advice. One thing is for sure, I'm not giving in or up on this!
Old 11-24-2013, 07:40 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottysgirl7682 View Post
To answer all of your questions...

I have not started exercising yet. My cousin is my coach (not an official coach from IP, but she's been on the program) since I can't afford to go to a clinic. She told me to get in 30 mins. of walking per day starting this week, so my boyfriend and I are on our way to the mall right now so I can get that in (waaay too cold to go outside). She also told me that a plateau is coming, which I can guarantee is every dieter's worst nightmare. I didn't know that between weeks 3-5 you would gain, but it would be temporary. Thank you all so much for all of your advice. One thing is for sure, I'm not giving in or up on this!
I don't think anyone said between weeks 3-5 you gain... They said you slow down a bit temporarily. HOWEVER - you gain and lose EVERY DAY... Meaning that the scale will go UP at one point during the day and down in another part of the day AND it will vary day to day as well.

If you aren't willing to accept that, you definitely will do better staying off the scale except your once per week OFFICIAL weigh-in.

You want to look at each weigh-in as a data point and connect each collected data point by a line - you WILL see a downward pointing line if you are OP.

Weight can fluctuate by several pounds in one day and between days for many reasons that have nothing to do with actual true weight change. If you are 100% OP then just trust IP let the rest go!!

Last edited by JLUS; 11-24-2013 at 07:42 PM.
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:16 AM   #10  

Talking Update

Well, the good news is....

I didn't weigh myself during the week at all, and I was anxious to get on the scale yesterday. I was expecting another gain, but was shocked to find out... I LOST 5 POUNDS!!! When I saw the scale read 216, I screamed HOLY $#!+! I thought it was a mistake, so I got off and got back on. Sure enough, it read 216 again! I got all excited!

I have an ultimate goal of getting to 160 by next summer, but by Christmas, I want to be back to the weight I was at before I had my gallbladder surgery in 2010, which was 214, and I'm so happy to say I'm now 2 lbs. away from that first goal! I'm so excited to get there!!!
Old 12-02-2013, 09:04 AM   #11  

Height: 5'5"

Congratulations!!!!
trishthayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:26 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 165.5/146/135 or size 4

Height: 5'5''

That's great!! Congrats!
wantanewme is offline   Reply With Quote