Old 11-20-2013, 02:53 PM   #1  
Started IP 10/30/13

S/C/G: 273/248/150

Height: 5'1"

Default Starvation Mode

Had my 3rd weigh-in yesterday: 1.8 pounds. My 2nd weigh in was also 1.8 pounds. The coach did say that it is a little soon to have such low numbers and asked me all sorts of questions. One thing she asked was if I felt hungry and I said YES. Everyday around 2:00, I feel so empty and hungry...and my stomach does not stop growling.

I told her at that point I'll try to eat some veggies but it doesn't help. She told me not to do that, that it will just be more carbs and what I need is protein.

She told me it seemed like my body was going into starvation mode and that I should try to eat either an extra unrestricted, or some hardboiled eggs if I feel hungry like that, and hopefully my fat loss will increase.

I am trying that starting today. But just curious if any others have ever went through this? I asked her that if I was in starvation mode, was I technically still in ketosis or had I fell out? She did not know for sure. I'm just wondering if my body has to now try and get in ketosis again if I start eating a little more. I think I will buy those test strips to see for sure.
itzroxy814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:25 PM   #2  
Started IP - 8/27/13

S/C/G: 265/ticker/170

Height: 5'10"

Hey Roxy!! See my earlier post from today about feeling weak on IP. It was the first time in 3 months that I've felt this way. But there are 5 people in my office on IP and occasionally someone will have 2 hard boiled eggs either in the morning or afternoon and it's always the same reason, they're still hungry. This morning I had 2 with a few cukes and onions which worked wonders for me.

Before that I would just have an extra unrestricted pack. I know there was talk about having a 4th pack as the norm if your body weight is above 200 (I think!!! Don't quote me, lol).

In the beginning I lost A LOT of lean muscle mass and my coach told me to add the extra packet. I didn't but on occasion I do.

Don't forget, it looks like you haven't been able to get weighed on the same day of the week. So perhaps some of your week 1 weight should have been counted for week 2, lol. If you look at it that way, then you're doing well.

Good Luck!!
AliExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:33 PM   #3  
Started IP 10/30/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliExpat View Post
Hey Roxy!! See my earlier post from today about feeling weak on IP. It was the first time in 3 months that I've felt this way. But there are 5 people in my office on IP and occasionally someone will have 2 hard boiled eggs either in the morning or afternoon and it's always the same reason, they're still hungry. This morning I had 2 with a few cukes and onions which worked wonders for me.

Before that I would just have an extra unrestricted pack. I know there was talk about having a 4th pack as the norm if your body weight is above 200 (I think!!! Don't quote me, lol).

In the beginning I lost A LOT of lean muscle mass and my coach told me to add the extra packet. I didn't but on occasion I do.

Don't forget, it looks like you haven't been able to get weighed on the same day of the week. So perhaps some of your week 1 weight should have been counted for week 2, lol. If you look at it that way, then you're doing well.

Good Luck!!
Thanks for your response! Yes, my coach did mention being over 200 and the extra packet yesterday. My fear is that I'll eat TOO much though with that packet!

And yes, my first 2 weigh-ins were at odd days so I understand the only 1.8 in 5 days thing...but I had totally expected my 3rd weigh-in 7 days later to be more than 1.8 I don't get my body mass checked weekly so I am not sure if I've lost any lean mass or not. I am really hoping this extra packet or the eggs helps me this week!
Old 11-20-2013, 04:18 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 210/174/150

Height: 5'7"

I'm sorry you're feeling tired and so hungry-- I do think your loses are normal though. I'm fascinated that all of these coaches have these expectations that are high for the program! 1.8 is very close to the average 2-3lbs a week for women. On the lower end, too, but it's a good movement.

I lost 1.4 this week and was totally on plan, if that makes you feel better. It's a bummer your clinic doesn't do BCA though. Do they at least take measurements? Losing 1" on my thorax and waist helped me feel better about my small loss.
yespositively is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:26 PM   #5  
Started IP 10/30/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by yespositively View Post
I'm sorry you're feeling tired and so hungry-- I do think your loses are normal though. I'm fascinated that all of these coaches have these expectations that are high for the program! 1.8 is very close to the average 2-3lbs a week for women. On the lower end, too, but it's a good movement.

I lost 1.4 this week and was totally on plan, if that makes you feel better. It's a bummer your clinic doesn't do BCA though. Do they at least take measurements? Losing 1" on my thorax and waist helped me feel better about my small loss.
I was sad about 1.8 but figured the coach wouldn't be, but she ended up making some comments about it being too low this early on.

They do BCA once a month for free, or $10/month charge to get it done every week. I opted to just do it once a month so I won't know my 2nd set of results on it til next week!
Old 11-20-2013, 05:09 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 223/184/150

Height: 5'4.5"

Last year when I started Ideal Protein, I had days when my stomach had that "empty" feeling...I was really hungry at times. I didn't find that extra protein did it for me, only extra fat stopped that feeling. I think some people just need more fat then the recommended 2tsp of oil. I lost 3lbs a week steady for 12 weeks.
So this time when I restarted Ideal Protein I wanted to stay really strict so did the 2tsp of oil only but this is my first week and I only lost 2lbs so far(week not over) but my weight has been the same for 4 days in a row....I'm suspecting I need to add a little more fat to get my weight loss moving again. I'm going to add it tomorrow if my weight still is the same. I'll let you know what happens on my 1 week weigh in on Friday. please don't give up, we're all in this together! It's worth trying all the suggestions from your center and finding out what works for you so that you can move on with your weight loss through the holidays.
may1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:12 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 190/162/140

Height: 5'5

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzroxy814 View Post
I was sad about 1.8 but figured the coach wouldn't be, but she ended up making some comments about it being too low this early on.

They do BCA once a month for free, or $10/month charge to get it done every week. I opted to just do it once a month so I won't know my 2nd set of results on it til next week!
I've been on program for about 13 weeks. In the beginning I lost about the same as you are 1-2 pounds. I also never had a large weight loss. Lately my weight loss has been about 3 lbs a week. It's been said many times on here before, but our bodies are all different and though we are tempted to compare it really doesn't do us any good. I just began to accept that I'm on this for the long haul and I'm going to have good weeks and weeks were I wish I lost more. The important thing is we are doing it!
Coreyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:14 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 225/180/160

Height: 5'7

If you do not take in enough calories, your body starts holding onto things and you do not loose as quickly. Trying adding another packet each day and see if it helps
vanishingchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:22 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 223/184/150

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coreyle View Post
I've been on program for about 13 weeks. In the beginning I lost about the same as you are 1-2 pounds. I also never had a large weight loss. Lately my weight loss has been about 3 lbs a week. It's been said many times on here before, but our bodies are all different and though we are tempted to compare it really doesn't do us any good. I just began to accept that I'm on this for the long haul and I'm going to have good weeks and weeks were I wish I lost more. The important thing is we are doing it!
Very encouraging to hear Coreyle!!! Thank you for sharing. I also was feeling discouraged by a small loss and that helped me look at the long run instead of the short run and wanting instant big results!
may1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:26 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

For Weight Over 200 - - IP is DESIGNED to give you 4 packets. It will not impact you negatively.

Also there is a lot of truth to eating too little and slowing loss (seems counterintuitive but it's true).

MANY people have found that eating strictly low fat protein (chicken and white fish) can actually work against weight loss as well! Try having a nice steak and salmon during the week, add the extra packet (ok to select a lower cal/fat/carb packet for the 4th) and see what happens over a couple weeks.

FYI - it would take more than an extra packet to take you out of Ketosis so no worries there either!!
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:59 PM   #11  

Height: 5 '6

[QUOTE=itzroxy814;4887126]Thanks for your response! Yes, my coach did mention being over 200 and the extra packet yesterday. My fear is that I'll eat TOO much though with that packet!

I have been doing four packs a day cause I'm over 200 and have had great losses, although I admit as I get closer to 200 I go to three on the days I'm not hungry.... trying to get my body ready for the adjustment when I hit ONEDERLAND!
Hiker88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:19 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 194.4/188.3/134

Great thread. All the posts are very helpful. I like and have used the hardboiled eggs in the past, they help me. And I also use a bit more olive oil at times and that definitely helped. Listen to your body, and keep a journal of what you are eating (even the little things like oil and salt) as well as your cycle, you should see trends and then make your changes if necessary.
Good job on sticking with it!
BLUEJEWEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:19 PM   #13  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzroxy814 View Post
Everyday around 2:00, I feel so empty and hungry...and my stomach does not stop growling.

I told her at that point I'll try to eat some veggies but it doesn't help. She told me not to do that, that it will just be more carbs and what I need is protein.

She told me it seemed like my body was going into starvation mode and that I should try to eat either an extra unrestricted, or some hardboiled eggs if I feel hungry like that, and hopefully my fat loss will increase.

I'm just wondering if my body has to now try and get in ketosis again if I start eating a little more. I think I will buy those test strips to see for sure.
You're getting a lot of information, most of it completely wrong.

First, being hungry is completely normal. Yes, some people are very fortunate and while in ketosis they feel little hunger but most people will still be hungry. What you can do is recognize it doesn't matter when you eat your meat. Timing of your meals does not matter so you can eat some of your meat for lunch and that might help.

Second, speaking of ketosis, if you're following the IP plan you're in ketosis. Strips you pee on are not reliable indicators, nor is the speed of your loss.

Third, your body is not in starvation mode. You didn't mention being very lethargic for extended periods, you didn't mention loss of TOM, loss of sex drive, or other symptoms that mean you're truly starving. Most of the bodies needs can be met with fat burning and the protein makes up the other needs. Has your metabolism slowed down? Yes but not by much. 10-15% at maximum.

Finally, your "slow" losses. You don't have a long enough time frame to really make any judgements because water retention can mask fat loss. This means you could be losing fat faster than 1.8 lbs per week and not yet realize it. If you are actually losing at this rate, it's not overly slow. It is a bit surprising but it happens.

Goodluck
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:36 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 189/173/135

Height: 5".3.5

This thread is very informative. Thanks for the good info. Keep up the good work, and be strong!
atblount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:57 PM   #15  
Started IP 10/30/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
You're getting a lot of information, most of it completely wrong.

First, being hungry is completely normal. Yes, some people are very fortunate and while in ketosis they feel little hunger but most people will still be hungry. What you can do is recognize it doesn't matter when you eat your meat. Timing of your meals does not matter so you can eat some of your meat for lunch and that might help.

Second, speaking of ketosis, if you're following the IP plan you're in ketosis. Strips you pee on are not reliable indicators, nor is the speed of your loss.

Third, your body is not in starvation mode. You didn't mention being very lethargic for extended periods, you didn't mention loss of TOM, loss of sex drive, or other symptoms that mean you're truly starving. Most of the bodies needs can be met with fat burning and the protein makes up the other needs. Has your metabolism slowed down? Yes but not by much. 10-15% at maximum.

Finally, your "slow" losses. You don't have a long enough time frame to really make any judgements because water retention can mask fat loss. This means you could be losing fat faster than 1.8 lbs per week and not yet realize it. If you are actually losing at this rate, it's not overly slow. It is a bit surprising but it happens.

Goodluck

John, thank you very much for the information! At this point I am just going in the direction my coach is telling me to. I have done low-cal diets before and had little to NO weight-loss. Everything I read said that I was in starvation mode. No, it wasn't detrimental to my health and affecting my life as in the examples you gave, but it did seem my body was holding on to everything I ate because I just wasn't getting enough. I didn't think that could happen on this diet until my coach told me that it could and about suggesting 4 packs a day. I hope that extra pack is the little bump I need.

I should have asked her, but forgot, if it would be better somehow to take some of my dinner protein and eat it when I feel hungry, so as to continue having just 3 packs a day. But based on some answers here as far as "200+ pound people should have 4 packets", I'm going to try that this week and see if that really is the better way to go right now.

I do not feel lethargic or anything... just a sudden horrible aching hunger feeling and very embarrassing stomach growling It happened yesterday and I had an IP drink. It subsided but not fully. Today I will try hardboiled eggs if it happens. Thanks everyone!