Old 11-21-2013, 01:07 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 210/174/150

Height: 5'7"

I split my protein and I think many others do as well. It's a huge help, especially since I just can't consume 8oz at once! For lunch I've been having about 3oz plus my veggies. It makes the day more pleasant.

Since I'm up more than 12 hours a day (aren't most of us?) my coach also recommended a 4th packet when I feel like I need it, rather than feeling overly hungry or tired. I've had a fourth occasionally when I knew in advance that I would be up for at least 18 hours (this is two days a week for me usually). I obviously don't have a long loss history, but an extra packet has to be better than cheating or being miserable. If you're miserable you'll go off plan, which will of course screw up losses.

Hang in there.
yespositively is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:16 PM   #17  
Started IP 10/30/13

S/C/G: 273/248/150

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by yespositively View Post
I split my protein and I think many others do as well. It's a huge help, especially since I just can't consume 8oz at once! For lunch I've been having about 3oz plus my veggies. It makes the day more pleasant.

Since I'm up more than 12 hours a day (aren't most of us?) my coach also recommended a 4th packet when I feel like I need it, rather than feeling overly hungry or tired. I've had a fourth occasionally when I knew in advance that I would be up for at least 18 hours (this is two days a week for me usually). I obviously don't have a long loss history, but an extra packet has to be better than cheating or being miserable. If you're miserable you'll go off plan, which will of course screw up losses.

Hang in there.

I have split my protein a few times, which is why I felt that'd be the better way to get rid of the mid-day hunger. But if I truly do need extra protein overall since I'm bigger, I'm willing to give that a try first and see if that doesn't help. I'm surprised so many people know about the 4 pack thing, since my coach never told me anything about that! But she did say she didn't want to start me off right away with 4 packs, but due to only 1.8 loss in my 3rd week, that's why she mentioned it.

Yes, I agree an extra packet is definitely better than cheating! I just have this huge fear of getting out of ketosis lol
itzroxy814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:30 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

itzroxy: I asked my coach about extra packets for larger people and she let me copy it right out of the coaches manual. I posted it awhile ago but I will dig it up again.

ETA: Here you go!

Most people use 3 packets (2 non-restricted, 1 restricted) per day.

In the IP clinic manual, it's listed this way:

201-240 pounds = 4 packets/day
241-280 pounds = 5 packets/day
281-320 pounds = 6 packets/day

Of course, still only 1 of those is restricted.

You could always sub in an EAS shake for your extras and stick to only 3 IP's per day.

Last edited by IdealProteinNewbie; 11-21-2013 at 01:32 PM.
IdealProteinNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:41 PM   #19  
Joined IP July 25, 2013

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealProteinNewbie View Post
itzroxy: I asked my coach about extra packets for larger people and she let me copy it right out of the coaches manual. I posted it awhile ago but I will dig it up again.

ETA: Here you go!

Most people use 3 packets (2 non-restricted, 1 restricted) per day.

In the IP clinic manual, it's listed this way:

201-240 pounds = 4 packets/day
241-280 pounds = 5 packets/day
281-320 pounds = 6 packets/day

Of course, still only 1 of those is restricted.

You could always sub in an EAS shake for your extras and stick to only 3 IP's per day.
On one of the IP videos that is sent out they said the number is based on your goal weight not your current weight. I know people disagree, but that's what the IP video said.
Meeshellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:42 PM   #20  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeshellee View Post
On one of the IP videos that is sent out they said the number is based on your goal weight not your current weight. I know people disagree, but that's what the IP video said.
I know, but I'm going straight out of the coaches manual.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:59 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Eating a 4th UNrestricted packet will NOT take you out of Ketosis... Just not enough carbs. If you are worried, pick a packet on the lower end of the carbs.
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:38 PM   #22  
Joined IP July 25, 2013

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealProteinNewbie View Post
I know, but I'm going straight out of the coaches manual.
Did it say if those numbers are based on current weight?
Meeshellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:54 PM   #23  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeshellee View Post
Did it say if those numbers are based on current weight?
Yes
Old 11-21-2013, 08:23 PM   #24  
Back at It!

S/C/G: 238/220/170

Height: 5'4 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLUS View Post
Eating a 4th UNrestricted packet will NOT take you out of Ketosis... Just not enough carbs. If you are worried, pick a packet on the lower end of the carbs.
I was eating a 4th now and again recently, but my coach suggested that I have some avocado or a handful of cashews since it is fat and fat fulls you up. I tried with the avocado today and it has seemed to work quite well. I'm not as hungry at night. I think the good fats are better than eating more carbs...having said that I think having an extra unrestricted packet isn't the end of the world, just try to stay away from two restricted packages a day.
Jojo381972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:41 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 282/166/170

Height: 5.6

Great comments and lots of good information. I agree with the extra pack or hard boiled eggs. I think having red meat is also important. Everyone's body is different and weightloss is a journey not a race. Hang in there.
Jenny38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:16 PM   #26  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzroxy814 View Post
John, thank you very much for the information! At this point I am just going in the direction my coach is telling me to. I have done low-cal diets before and had little to NO weight-loss. Everything I read said that I was in starvation mode. No, it wasn't detrimental to my health and affecting my life as in the examples you gave, but it did seem my body was holding on to everything I ate because I just wasn't getting enough. I didn't think that could happen on this diet until my coach told me that it could and about suggesting 4 packs a day. I hope that extra pack is the little bump I need.

I should have asked her, but forgot, if it would be better somehow to take some of my dinner protein and eat it when I feel hungry, so as to continue having just 3 packs a day. But based on some answers here as far as "200+ pound people should have 4 packets", I'm going to try that this week and see if that really is the better way to go right now.

I do not feel lethargic or anything... just a sudden horrible aching hunger feeling and very embarrassing stomach growling It happened yesterday and I had an IP drink. It subsided but not fully. Today I will try hardboiled eggs if it happens. Thanks everyone!
Look no offense to your coach but she/he doesn't know jack squat about the body. Feeling hungry is completely normal when you're on reduced calories. It isn't because you're starving. Seriously, this is rediculous.

You're 5'1" tall. You do not need additional protein to speed up your losses. It doesn't matter that you're over 200 lbs. The idea floating around here that someone over 200 lbs needs more protein/calories is absolutely rediculous. The amound of protein one needs should be determined by the amount of LBM one has, not their weight.

Bottom line: follow the plan.

By the way - the BC analysis is a waste of time. The IP diet uses a bioimpedence device that is horrible inaccurate. If you're paying extra for this service, save your money or buy your own bioimepedence scale so you can get your own inaccurate results at home.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:19 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 210/174/150

John, any recommendations for an at home scale?
yespositively is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:08 PM   #28  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by yespositively View Post
John, any recommendations for an at home scale?
No. I don't own a scale and only weigh myself once a week at the gym.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:53 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 214.4/170/165

When I started in August, until I fell below 200 pounds, I was taking 4 packets a day. I would have one with breakfast and lunch, and another around 2PM, and the last as an evening snack. It definitely did NT affect my weight loss, and it satisfied me to have the afternoon one, and sometimes now, even 42 pounds later, I still have one. If you haven't tried it, you should. You will not take in too many calories this way, believe me! I am 7 pounds from goal, and my frst month with 4 packets helped me get there! Also, if you are working out you need protein within 30 minutes. I am very athletic, and there were many days int he beginning I used 5 packets. Expensive, yes. Efffective, YES!

You will find your rythm, and what works best for you!
MidgieMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:47 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by may1954 View Post
Very encouraging to hear Coreyle!!! Thank you for sharing. I also was feeling discouraged by a small loss and that helped me look at the long run instead of the short run and wanting instant big results!
Please reread the post about upping the fat. I totally stalled for several months. I upped the olive oil to 1 TBLS and had beef several times a week. The rate of loss went but again.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote