Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 03:51 PM   #496  
maintaining since 9/2013

I have been trying since Sept to find an exercise I like that doesn't aggravate a hip problem that everything else seems to do. Today I did a shoulder stand for a few minutes in my yoga class. Once I set aside the fear of being upside down, it felt exhilarating.

Iyengar yoga is the variation of Hatha yoga that incorporates props and appropriate variation of poses to accommodate physical limitations. A great way to work up a sweat while gaining strength & flexibility (not a paid announcement, lol)!

Last edited by mars735; 04-06-2014 at 04:09 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:53 PM   #497  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars735 View Post
I have been trying since Sept to find an exercise I like that doesn't aggravate a hip problem that everything else seems to do. Today I did a shoulder stand for a few minutes in my yoga class. Once I set aside the fear of being upside down, it felt exhilarating.

Iyengar yoga is the variation of Hatha yoga that incorporates props and appropriate variation of poses to accommodate physical limitations.
Mars
I had to do 6+ months of Physical Therapy to get back into the shape that even simple yoga moves didn't hurt my hip/lower back. Now that the imbalances have been addressed, I can do most yoga moves with no pain. I say "most" because there are some I've attempted that I just don't have the strength for yet. Were I to try them, I'd probably re-injure.

Congrats on finding something that works!
Old 04-06-2014, 04:28 PM   #498  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Mars
I had to do 6+ months of Physical Therapy to get back into the shape that even simple yoga moves didn't hurt my hip/lower back. Now that the imbalances have been addressed, I can do most yoga moves with no pain. I say "most" because there are some I've attempted that I just don't have the strength for yet. Were I to try them, I'd probably re-injure.

Congrats on finding something that works!
Thanks, Lisa! So glad to hear the PT helped. It sounds like you are on your way to getting strong. I think I'll take great care not to overdo it.

Last edited by mars735; 04-06-2014 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:02 PM   #499  
Started IP August 14 2013

S/C/G: 216.5/153/155

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maile View Post
...Vachinyc: It took me a year to lose my weight..and in that year I went through the it is not fair period where you see others eating trigger foods. However, in my first year of maintenance I discovered that I really loved the new foods that I was eating. I lost that feeling of deprivation. Now past my second year, I do not feel deprived.

Kcdoe and Vachinyc: I had not exercised in a few years. I began three years ago. It has become a habit..It gets easier the more you do it.

I am back at goal and want to go under goal a few pounds.
Thanks for that perspective Maile. It somehow helps not to be alone in these crazy feelings. Now that you mention it, there are many things I started eating on IP that I continue to eat in maintenance. I will have to keep reminding myself that I am choosing...not depriving

I Must start the exercise and make it a habit!

Congrats on being back at goal. It's great to have a tool to reign things in.

Last edited by vachinyc; 04-08-2014 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:27 PM   #500  
Started IP 5/13/13

S/C/G: 185/128/135

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by vachinyc View Post
Thanks for that perspective Maile. It somehow helps not to be alone in these crazy feelings. Now that you mention it, there are many things I started eating on IP that I continue to eat in maintenance. I will have to keep reminding myself that I am choosing...not depriving

Congrats on being back at goal. It's great to have a tool to reign things in.
The exercise has always been a struggle for me but I got a treadmill and started walking every day. This is my 3rd week and I am finding I feel like a slug if I don't do my walk. I have been very tired after a long work day and once I get on the treadmill I start feeling energized. I think in the past I had so much inflammation and felt so worn out from all the garbage I was polluting my body with, it is no wonder I couldn't maintain any exercise. It is early on, but I am feeling confident I can do this!
Old 04-09-2014, 08:20 AM   #501  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

Dak1ills: I like that energy boost from exercise. What is true for me is that you may not want to do it or you may be very tired, but you always feel better when you are done with exercise. That is great that you got a treadmill and are walking everyday!

Vachinyc: That is a good positive outlook..you are choosing to stay healthy and choosing to make good choices..verses..feeling deprived. Many of my foods have carried over..but I have also added many low carb meals in maintenance. Yes, I feel happier lower in my range!!! There are pleny of crazy thoughts in this whole process!

Annik: Thanks for you kind words. I was not prepared for the many comments that I received as I headed to my goal weight.I thought they would all be positive. I had to learn to stand firm in my belief in what I was doing.
Hope you are doing well.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:42 AM   #502  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by vachinyc View Post

It took me almost 7 months to find an exercise I can stick to (yoga). Keep trying and you'll find your motivation and right-for-you exercise routine. As much as I continue to resist exercise, I have to say it feels incredible. And it's so much easier to do in a smaller body!
Old 04-09-2014, 10:09 AM   #503  

S/C/G: 190/137.5/140

Height: 5-4

I love, love, love exercise. I am afraid I am not good about advising on motivation because I would spend hours and hours doing all kinds. Have never met a form I have hated yet!
Old 04-09-2014, 12:07 PM   #504  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Ahhhhh, yes.... *sigh*, exercise. I remember the old days when exercise was my job (and passion) for 25 years. I try not to compare now to then & just rejoice in what I am able to do at present (a huge improvement from 4 years ago). More info on my profile.

Planning on going to Deep Water Running/Aquafit with a couple of girlfriends today, so a bit excited as I haven't been for a week. I just have to take along extra warm clothes for after as my core temperature drops drastically after any exercise - a strange metabolic side effect of fibromyalgia. Even after 20 minutes in the hot tub post-workout, lol.

Oh well, at least I don't have health issues that leave me paralyzed and bedridden - things could be WAAAAY worse. Find your fun exercise and keep up the good work gals!

Liana
Old 04-09-2014, 02:52 PM   #505  
Started IP August 14 2013

S/C/G: 216.5/153/155

Height: 5'7"

Thanks all. I know I have to find something, anything... walking, running, spinning, elliptical, zumba ... something. I am not totally sure where this resistance came from though it may have been the combo of weighing more/feeling yucky/getting older... i used to go to the gym like clockwork, even after a night out.
Now, my commute is long and annoying and it's the last thing I want to do. I think i'm just being stubborn. I need to do it. I'm starting with a commitment to walking - either at lunch or after work - at least three times a week and I'll move up from there. I can't possibly be too busy or too tired to do this

I hope that like you DAK and DRD, I'll get energized from it.

PS Your signature makes me happy canadjineh!

Last edited by vachinyc; 04-09-2014 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:36 PM   #506  
Started IP 12 Apr 12

S/C/G: 270/179/170

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandc2006 View Post
Hey all. Great to see all these delish looking bfasts. I always do a half of an English muffin, a tbsp of PB, 1/2 c. of greek yogurt, a few almonds, 1 c. of blueberries, and a string cheese. I love the big bfasts. In fact, I miss them terribly when on phase 1 which I am today.

Last week, I had a major cold, then my mom and her friend were in town from Wed until Sun and TOM arrived yesterday. It has been a heckofa week. I was pretty good when she was here but thought I would do a day or two of phase 1 to ensure I am still where I want to be.

Here's a biggie...I am quitting smoking which is huge! The last time I tried, I lasted two months and put on almost 20...which is where my real weight gain battle started so you can imagine that this is very anxiety provoking for me! Day two and I feel great but you could say I am scared. Anyone else kicked this nasty habit???? I may be on phase 1 more than usual to just really make sure that I don't gain. So nervous but I figured that after a year and a half of maintenance (minus a reboot) that I had enough of a grip on things. My husband and I are just really living a new lifestyle and how can I be healthy when I smoke????

Hope you all are well.
I lost my weight on IP and am currently in a reboot. I quit smoking 2 months before I started IP because I knew I would gain weight, it is now 2yrs 2mos SMOKE FREE
Old 04-13-2014, 01:40 PM   #507  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

Shathom: Two years smoke free is great..and is a huge accomplishment! I hope your reboot is going well. Congrats on losing 74 pounds.

Vachinyc: Long commutes are hard and tiring. I hope you figure out some way
to get a workout in.

Canadjineh: I like your signature also. That Deep Running Aqua Fit sounds intriguing. I am going to watch an aquatic zumba class this summer. I am hoping it will be easier than the land zumba.

Drd1961: Enjoy your exercise! You must be in good condition. I am going to experiment with new classes this summer.

Mars: I am glad that yoga works for you. That is one of my experiments coming up. I tried a dvd but think I would enjoy a class more.

I love our warmer days.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:40 PM   #508  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maile View Post
Mars: I am glad that yoga works for you. That is one of my experiments coming up. I tried a dvd but think I would enjoy a class more.

I love our warmer days.
Maile: If you have any joint issues like arthritis or old injuries, I suggest looking for a class in Iyengar yoga. Its special focus is on precise alignment of the body and using props to adapt the poses to any physical limitation. It can be as gentle or strenuous as you make it. A good teacher makes all the difference when you are new. Once in a while my teacher will come over and move my hips or shoulders just a little bit, and then I have an aha! moment. I find DVDs come in handy between classes.

I'm enjoying the warmer and longer days, too. Did you visit SF yet? It's finally gotten warm and sunny. Friday we had a river of fog streaming in the Golden Gate, though. One of my favorite Mark Twain quotes: The coldest winter i ever spent was a summer in San Francisco."

Last edited by mars735; 04-13-2014 at 03:40 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:00 PM   #509  

Height: 5'2

Hello Maintainers!

How much water are you drinking now that you are in maintenance? I felt my best when I drank 14 8oz glasses of water in phase 1 but seems excessive now in phase 4. I do drink at least 2 cups of black coffee every day as well.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

S.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:09 PM   #510  
maintaining since 9/2013

stephascope: congratulations!
I've been maintaining about 7 months and still drink my P1 amount, 2 liters. I just feel better, and it helps regulate my appetite.

I drink the first liter early am, & also 2 cups of coffee. It requires access to a restroom and may not be a viable option for all! I have a job in which I might not be able to drink or relieve myself for long stretches, so this timing works well. I hate getting up in the middle of the night. Everyday, I think about cutting back on the water, but I don't feel quite right without it. Hope that helps.

Last edited by mars735; 04-13-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Closed Thread