Maintainers Vol 13

You're on Page 30 of 34
Go to
  • Quote: Mine has been growing back. I have longer hair and now there is all this new growth that's about 2 inches long.
    Mine too. While I didn't ever really loose much hair, I have noticed that in the year and a half I have been maintaining (with a few small reboots) that my hair and my nails are growing stronger and longer than they ever did in the past. I really believe all the protein has helped out a lot!
  • Maintainers..your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Started maintenance on Friday. On Saturday I enjoyed myself with a treat meal and some cocktails over the weekend. I did great on Sunday, had a few drinks, got on the scale Monday and was at 134. Eeeeeeeeekkkk. 4lb gain. I did a phase 1 on Monday and was back down on Tuesday to 130-131ish. Water weight from the carbs and cocktails over the weekend.

Last night, had a wonderful dinner with friends and ate a bowl of Pho. For lunch I ate beans and grilled chicken with veggies (so it was compliant as there were no fats). I had carbs again for dinner and the scale went up to 134lbs again this morning. I freaked out and I am doing another phase 1 day. I know Pho has loads of sodium so I think that it contributed but I am so darn scared to see that number get close to 135 after working so hard to get to 130.

Does anyone else experience this. I am planning on and will definitely move forward with the hard line separation of carbs and fats but my goodness, two meals (nothing really crazy either) making the scale jump around like that drives me crazy!
  • Quote: Hi All!

Eandc, I think it would be carbs, especially if they're fat-free.

Just wanted to pop in and say hi. I've lost 5 pounds and am back on the road to losing all of my additional pounds. I'm going to stay on P1 until I hit 120 so that I will be exactly where I want to be. It's really different being back on P1. Maintenance is much more difficult.

So sorry you're still getting snow, northern friends. It was chilly yesterday, but today we had a sunny day in the mid-70s. It might be spring...

Happy thoughts to all!
    5lbs already! You are doing awesome! Keep on trucking along!
  • Quote: Mine has been growing back. I have longer hair and now there is all this new growth that's about 2 inches long.
    Oh good thank all of you for answering!!! I have always had a lot of thick hair even at 50 but in the last 4 months I've lost so much my hair stylist said wow your hair is really getting thin ;( ok I want to be skinny but not bald if it keeps getting worse I may have to get some Rogaine or something to get me through the last 20 lbs to maintenance. Worried
  • kcdoe: I also noticed my hair getting thinner on IP. Now that I am in maintenance, it seems to have regained much of the hair..and the loss has stopped. There is a supplement that Costco sells called Hair, skin and nails that I use. Have you talked to your coach about this?

enandc: Pho is loaded with sodium. I have gained 3 pounds on a high sodium meal day..such as eating at the Mongolian grill. If you allow yourself a range of 5 pounds..ie 130-135 you might be more comfortable when that happens. However, if you really get upset with being above 130, would you consider lowering your range? It is frustrating to see the scale jump, but it happens! The good thing is that it comes down. Hang in there.
  • It’s been a struggle lately. Since the holidays I seem to be out of control. I tried a “reboot” in early January but promptly got sick and went off plan. These days I’m trying to do Phase 1 or 2 days which only last one or two days and then I’m back to “anything goes”. The good news is that I’m only 1 lb. over my original goal. But the bad news is that I spent over a year in the 140’s and really liked it there. Now I’m putting off a full blown reboot because of upcoming medical procedures, weddings, graduations, etc. I’d really appreciate any advice.
  • Quote: kcdoe: I also noticed my hair getting thinner on IP. Now that I am in maintenance, it seems to have regained much of the hair..and the loss has stopped. There is a supplement that Costco sells called Hair, skin and nails that I use. Have you talked to your coach about this?

enandc: Pho is loaded with sodium. I have gained 3 pounds on a high sodium meal day..such as eating at the Mongolian grill. If you allow yourself a range of 5 pounds..ie 130-135 you might be more comfortable when that happens. However, if you really get upset with being above 130, would you consider lowering your range? It is frustrating to see the scale jump, but it happens! The good thing is that it comes down. Hang in there.
    You are right Maile. I just hate seeing 135 because that was my goal before and the 5lb range to 140 was too much. I really like where I am at 130 and today the scale was back down after phase 1 yesterday. Feeling in control again. I guess I am OK with doing a phase 1 day one or even two days a week to keep the lbs at bay. They are so easy and as much as I miss my bfasts I really don't mind them.
  • First, the hair. I also lost more of my thin hair on IP. The good news is that it grew back and got thicker on maintenance. I also take biotin now, just one a day. Who knows if that helped, but The hair grew back. I also got a short haircut, which I really love.

In fact, halfway into my 9-months of IP I changed hairdressers. I told her that we would cut it a little shorter each time until all my weight was lost. Then it would be short! After 9 months of maintenance, we finally got the length short enough!

Quote: It’s been a struggle lately. Since the holidays I seem to be out of control. I tried a “reboot” in early January but promptly got sick and went off plan. These days I’m trying to do Phase 1 or 2 days which only last one or two days and then I’m back to “anything goes”. The good news is that I’m only 1 lb. over my original goal. But the bad news is that I spent over a year in the 140’s and really liked it there. Now I’m putting off a full blown reboot because of upcoming medical procedures, weddings, graduations, etc. I’d really appreciate any advice.
    Quote: You are right Maile. I just hate seeing 135 because that was my goal before and the 5lb range to 140 was too much. I really like where I am at 130 and today the scale was back down after phase 1 yesterday. Feeling in control again. I guess I am OK with doing a phase 1 day one or even two days a week to keep the lbs at bay. They are so easy and as much as I miss my bfasts I really don't mind them.
    cbl, I'm a week and a half into a full blown reboot because I loved being right at or a little under 120. I'm near my original goal of 125 now but I'm going to keep going and get where I feel I have a little leg room for those high sodium days. I didn't like how my clothes were feeling. We're so lucky that we have these tools to get to where we want - and to stay there.

My January reboot did not do the trick, so now I'm even more determined to remain vigilant after I phase off this time. It's amazing that all this is for 10-12 pounds, and in the big picture that's not much. But to me, now, it's crucial for the way I want to feel and look.

Have great day, everyone!
  • Quote: kcdoe: I also noticed my hair getting thinner on IP. Now that I am in maintenance, it seems to have regained much of the hair..and the loss has stopped. There is a supplement that Costco sells called Hair, skin and nails that I use. Have you talked to your coach about this?

Maile, no I didn't think to mention it to my coach, silly I'll do that. I've gained more information from the folks here on 3 chicks then I think my coach even knows. She's limited to her people and what she has experienced with them. I wonder if SAMS sells the same supplement, I'll look for it. Thank you!

Quote: First, the hair. I also lost more of my thin hair on IP. The good news is that it grew back and got thicker on maintenance. I also take biotin now, just one a day. Who knows if that helped, but The hair grew back. I also got a short haircut, which I really love.

In fact, halfway into my 9-months of IP I changed hairdressers. I told her that we would cut it a little shorter each time until all my weight was lost. Then it would be short! After 9 months of maintenance, we finally got the length short enough!

Have great day, everyone!
    Joysh, that's a relief to hear, I really wanna stick it out for another 20 lbs sounds like I can. Yeah!!!

Anyone have any other ideas for stopping it from falling out?
  • Quote: Maintainers..your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Started maintenance on Friday. On Saturday I enjoyed myself with a treat meal and some cocktails over the weekend. I did great on Sunday, had a few drinks, got on the scale Monday and was at 134. Eeeeeeeeekkkk. 4lb gain. I did a phase 1 on Monday and was back down on Tuesday to 130-131ish. Water weight from the carbs and cocktails over the weekend.

Last night, had a wonderful dinner with friends and ate a bowl of Pho. For lunch I ate beans and grilled chicken with veggies (so it was compliant as there were no fats). I had carbs again for dinner and the scale went up to 134lbs again this morning. I freaked out and I am doing another phase 1 day. I know Pho has loads of sodium so I think that it contributed but I am so darn scared to see that number get close to 135 after working so hard to get to 130.

Does anyone else experience this. I am planning on and will definitely move forward with the hard line separation of carbs and fats but my goodness, two meals (nothing really crazy either) making the scale jump around like that drives me crazy!
    eandc2006 - Can you try not to weigh yourself every day? I've been on maintenance/P4 for 5 weeks. I weigh on Wednesdays and Saturday mornings ONLY - right when I wake up. I stick to the principles - no mixing fats and carbs, 1 piece of chocolate, 1 glass of wine/1 cocktail - and treat that as maintenance. If I have a day/meal where I'm mixing fats and carbs and overeating, then next day, I do a P1 day. So far, no weight gain from my P4 start weight. I float throughout the week 1-2 lbs (i.e. maybe up 1 lb on Weds then back down the following Weds). I think weighing yourself everyday is making you more crazy than you need to be, as other's have said, salt/water weight/Big C/ can effect your weight temporarily and if you weigh every day, it's going to drive you nuts. I'm going to graph my weight over a 2 month period and see what my upper and lower weights come out to be and that tells me what my range should be.
  • ecdslim: If you go to weightgrapher.com, it will graph the weight for you and show trends. You do not need to post everyday on it.It also predicts what you will weigh in the future.

Joysh: It is amazing how much work 10-12 pounds is to maintain! You can notice the difference in your clothes and in how you feel. Getting to 120 and giving yourself a cushion is a good idea. Hope your reboot goes well and that your phase off does the same.

Kcdoe. Hope you find the supplement or one similar. I also found while on IP that I learned more from this site than from my coach..especially recipes.

Eandc: My coach never gave me a limit on P1 days to work on up pounds. It sounds like you have a found a good strategy for that 130!

Cbl70: have you thought about just maintaining for the next months with all that is coming up? You are only one pound above your goal weight. If you return to planning your food ahead of time, would that help? Have you tried just eating P3 so you do not feel deprived?

Still have cold mornings here. I am currently working on the plank..Not easy but it does seem to help my back. I am in my range and feeling positive.

I posted on the 100% thread about viewing the scale as a science project. Maybe that thought process will help you. We tie our weight to our self-esteem/self-worth too much!

I went out with some friends & had some fun a couple weekends ago. One of my nites-out yielded a 4.6 overnight gain. Now, we all know that isn't fat. So, I did P1 for a day or two and all the inflammation/water weight was gone. Viewing the scale as "when I do x, y happens" in a neutral (non-emotional) manner has been really helpful. It is more help from the Beck book!

Here is an exerpt of my post: "For the last 6 weeks, I've spent time gaining scale acceptance. Instead of avoiding the scale when I knew I did x, y, or z, I got on to see what the change was & how long it took it to come back down.

Viewing it like a science experiment made it not so scary. It is part of detaching it from my self-worth/self-esteem. What the scale says should NOT be part of that! It is about my health. If I catch a cold, I don't engage in negative self-talk/putting myself down. If I get a migraine, I don' blame myself. I explore what caused it and try to avoid in the future. This is the way I'm looking at ups/downs on the scale.
    "

I'm back on P1 to break the stall. As my next "Science project" I'm seeing what will happen Monday-Monday (March 17-Memorial Day) See you all soon!
  • That is a good way to remove the emotions from weigh ins. A scientific project makes it interesting. I like the comment that the scale simply tells you what to do..I am a daily weigher and know certain meals will cause gains,

i have experienced that every weekend for the last 8 months. Then i eat well during the week, and repeat cycle.
  • Quote: eandc2006 - I'm going to graph my weight over a 2 month period and see what my upper and lower weights come out to be and that tells me what my range should be.

there is a real simple app for graphing weight. Its called "monitor your weight". if you use an iPhone, check it out. i have graphed mine since the beginning.