Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 11:00 AM   #31  
IP -9/15/13 @goal 1/18/14

S/C/G: 184.4/157 /137

Height: 5'4

Morning all, WI 9 this morning, down again for a total of 26.2 in 8 weeks! Very excited!
Schenectady & slownsteady - soooo happy your back and in the fight. We're all human, it happens and you both have gotten right back in rather than saying the heck with it. I know how hard that is.

Pixie111 I started weight-lifting again, it's definitely tricky. I have my extra meal right after I workout. I also make it my restricted, usually a bar as they have more calories and carbs and it helps a lot, made a big difference in how I felt and didn't effect my weight-loss. Worth a try. And you gotta drink the water - when I get up and am at the sink putting on my make-up, etc I have a 12 oz glass of water and I commit to drinking it before I finish getting ready. I also keep a water bottle in the car - I never don't drink my water with these things in place. Also, when I finish a shake, I usually put 4-6 ozs in the shaker, and drink that, it's still tasty and it's extra water. Good luck!
Old 11-09-2013, 11:22 AM   #32  
Restart IP 10/19/2013

S/C/G: 195/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Salad Dressing Recipe

Good morning ipeeps! This recipe is probably typical but, wanted to share.

Coconut vinegar
Worcester Sauce
Spicy mustard
WF Pancake syrup

Salad:
Romain lettuce
Rainbow radish
Green onion
Celery
Yellow squash
Costco canned chicken

This combination is zesty and delicious! I'm trying to gather/create recipes that I can use from here on. I'm not fond of WF salad dressing unless it's doctored up. Would prefer not to buy it at all since it's expensive for the taste.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:27 AM   #33  
Renee~ Started IP Aug. 25

S/C/G: 186/136.4/125

Height: 5'4"

Sounds good, but I thought Worcester sauce and yellow squash were not on IP.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:33 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

ReenHag: Summer squash (green and yellow zucchini) are allowed while winter squash (acorn, butternut, spaghetti) are not.

Last edited by IdealProteinNewbie; 11-09-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:43 AM   #35  
Started IP 1/18/12

S/C/G: 186.5/127/130

Height: 5'

Happy Saturday! Sounds like everyone is having a great weekend. I just have a quick question. What is the mg's of Potassium for the Ideal Protein supplement. My coach wants me to use No Salt instead and I'm trying to figure out the amount I need. She didn't give me a straight answer, she said everyone is different.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:54 AM   #36  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie111 View Post
a little frustrated to see the scale hasnt moved in 2 weeks. I am hovering over 158. I just started strength training but making sure I drink an extra shake right after my workout. I have lost 17 pounds so far. My trainer told me to eat carbs before a workout so I dont burn muscle. I am having a shake an hour before my workout obviously the carbs in it are negligent.

Please advise. Should I continue to drink a shake an hour before my workout and then a shake right after one? I can probably have a restricted packet before my workout.

Another thing I noticed, not getting enough water. I am hardly drinking any. I have resolved to drink a gallon a day starting today.
To be very blunt, your trainer doesn't know what he/she is talking about re: ketogenic diets. Get the book The Art and Science of Low Carb Performance. Then you'll know. Just being on a PSMF diet preserves muscle.

To increase your energy a bit, you might want to consider having your restricted prior to your workout but don't forget an extra packet after, as well (perhaps one of the 80-calories ones like the orange drink or peach-mango drink...there are a few others but I KNOW these b/c they are 2 of my favs).

You didn't say what type of workouts you have started but initiating an exercise routine can stall the scale temporarily. Since we're in this for the long-term health and wellness, adding exercise is a GOOD thing. Relax about the scale and know there are other ways to measure our progress.

Since you already have a trainer who has demonstrated lack of understanding of these diets (which are used ALL THE TIME by bodybuilders, btw), I'm also concerned you may be doing workouts that are too intensive for IP. We should only be doing moderate exercise at the most (like a brisk walk) and some strength training (but not super heavy).

Last edited by lisa32989; 11-09-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:56 AM   #37  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeymom40 View Post
Happy Saturday! Sounds like everyone is having a great weekend. I just have a quick question. What is the mg's of Potassium for the Ideal Protein supplement. My coach wants me to use No Salt instead and I'm trying to figure out the amount I need. She didn't give me a straight answer, she said everyone is different.
She should have been able to look on the bottle!

99 mg of Potasium citrate.

If I had a coach that was recommending one product but couldn't answer questions about another product, I'd be concerned & wonder if I should switch coaches!

It is VERY important to get SALT on a ketogenic diet. That is why the salt is part of P1
Old 11-09-2013, 12:12 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 210/174/150

Height: 5'7"

Day 5 on IP and so far so good. I'm so glad it's the weekend and I can spend a bit more time roasting veggies and meal planning for the coming week. I have my WI on Wednesday and I need to think about what IP products I want to buy for the coming week.

I put a pork tenderloin in an IP compliant marinade this morning and am looking forward to a little break from chicken today. I know IP restricts exercise (this is so hard since I'm a runner and it's gorgeous out!), but I think I'll take a little walk around the neighborhood today and just be sure not to get my heart rate up too much.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:44 PM   #39  

Height: 5 '6

Yespositively: Thanks for the comments... your right.. the scale doesn't bother me too much... my coach is always after me to not weigh so much but for the most part it doesn't affect my motivation and the days there's a big jump its pretty exciting!!
Old 11-09-2013, 12:45 PM   #40  
Started IP Aug 19, 2013

S/C/G: 218/187.5/144

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by schenectady View Post
I am not sure how I would have handled my son's three week visit radically differently - I see him only once a year and this one was between deployments and included getting engaged to a dear one we have always loved. We did not eat more than a few meals at home, we made numerous long roads trips to places he wanted to visit, and he and I shared some great times and meals together.
I can say without a minute's hesitance, that I would not in a million years question sharing time and home-cooked meals and road trips with my son under these circumstances!! The only thing to regret would be if you had NOT done these things! Cherish that time together!
Old 11-09-2013, 01:00 PM   #41  
Started IP 1/18/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
She should have been able to look on the bottle!

99 mg of Potasium citrate.

If I had a coach that was recommending one product but couldn't answer questions about another product, I'd be concerned & wonder if I should switch coaches!

It is VERY important to get SALT on a ketogenic diet. That is why the salt is part of P1
Geez, sorry I asked. My question is about potassium not salt. I am sodium sensitive and have to restrict my salt anyway, not that I asked for your advise on that. There's enough in these products for me. The No Salt is for the potassium supplement, not to replace the salt. I forgot to asked her what the mg's were for the Ideal Protein product, so I thought I would just ask here.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #42  

One of the daily videos I get from IP recently had a great video on Potassium. He laid out how much you need a day, how much you get from veggies, how much from the supplement and how much from salt... not sure if you get the videos or not but I found it helpful. I will look at it again and post the numbers.

Last edited by Hiker88; 11-09-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:18 PM   #43  
Started IP 1/18/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
To be very blunt, your trainer doesn't know what he/she is talking about re: ketogenic diets. Get the book The Art and Science of Low Carb Performance. Then you'll know. Just being on a PSMF diet preserves muscle.

To increase your energy a bit, you might want to consider having your restricted prior to your workout but don't forget an extra packet after, as well (perhaps one of the 80-calories ones like the orange drink or peach-mango drink...there are a few others but I KNOW these b/c they are 2 of my favs).

You didn't say what type of workouts you have started but initiating an exercise routine can stall the scale temporarily. Since we're in this for the long-term health and wellness, adding exercise is a GOOD thing. Relax about the scale and know there are other ways to measure our progress.

Since you already have a trainer who has demonstrated lack of understanding of these diets (which are used ALL THE TIME by bodybuilders, btw), I'm also concerned you may be doing workouts that are too intensive for IP. We should only be doing moderate exercise at the most (like a brisk walk) and some strength training (but not super heavy).
Did it occur to you that perhaps her trainer doesn't know what type of diet she is on? Anyone who works out knows its carbs before and protein after with a normal diet. That's what any trainer would advise if they didn't understand or know about this food plan.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:19 PM   #44  

Potassium: You need 2,000mg per day- a lot more if you sweat a lot

mushrooms: 1 cup: 400mg
Zucchini: 1 cup: 400 mg
Swiss chard: 1 cup 1,000mg

Suppliment is 99 mg
1/2 tsp salt contains 330 mg

Basically a lot of vegis are a good source but if your not doing the salt you could probably add a supplement (in my uneducated opinion!)
Old 11-09-2013, 01:21 PM   #45  
Started IP 1/18/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiker88 View Post
One of the daily videos I get from IP recently had a great video on Potassium. He laid out how much you need a day, how much you get from veggies, how much from the supplement and how much from salt... not sure if you get the videos or not but I found it helpful. I will look at it again and post the numbers.
Thanks, for your reply. That would be great to see. I completely under my coaches response since it can come from so many sources. You have to know your own body and needs.
Closed Thread