Chicken or turkey sausage?

• I read so many conflicting stories about this. Is this okay to eat or not? Thanks for the help!
  • Simple answer: there isn't any sausage on the P1 protocol sheet.

The thing to remember about commercial sausage is it has fillers andis higher fat than meat alone. It usually doesn't have the same protein as an equal amount of ground meat. You'd be better off making your own by seasoning ground meat, leaving out sugars and fillers
  • Ok. Thank you!
  • My clinic just gave out a recipe that included a carb free, low fat chicken sausage.
  • Quote: I read so many conflicting stories about this. Is this okay to eat or not? Thanks for the help!
    Chicken and turkey are on the P1 sheet, but some chicken and turkey sausages included added carbs. You just have to check the label.

For myself, I look for chicken and turkey sausage that has 1 g or less of carbohydrates.

Anita
  • Agree with Skeeterab. You have to check the label. My coach approved a lean turkey sausage - Honeysuckle White brand is the one I know of and was approved. It is not a precooked, cured sausage, it is raw ground turkey with seasonings. One link, cooked, has 130 cal, 0 carb, 0 sugar, 15g protein, 8g fat. It's a little high in sodium and fat, so she suggested no more than once or twice a week - similar to the recommendations for red meat. But it is DELICIOUS! I usually get the Hot Italian, but also like the Sweet Italian and Bratwurst. Enjoy!
  • I believe that the low carb ones are ok in phase 1. I have found some that are 1 carb and eat them all the time.
  • Thanks for the suggestions everyone.