3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Being in Ketosis with an Inguinal Hernia - OK?" (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/289476-being-ketosis-inguinal-hernia-ok.html)

slow2lose 11-05-2013 02:05 PM

Being in Ketosis with an Inguinal Hernia - OK?

So after many tests and poking and prodding it looks like I have an Inguinal Hernia requiring surgery. It's not urgent, I'm not in a ton of pain, but it will have to be taken care of via surgery. I will be meeting with a general surgeon and the surgery will probably be scheduled in the New Year.

I was planning to do a few weeks of IP before Christmas, just wondering if being in ketosis before surgery is good or bad. I'll try to get another appt to ask my doc, but to be blunt, she thinks I'm nuts to be on such a restrictive diet.

There is an IP clinic in the doc's office, she's not anti-IP by any means, just thinks it's a bit extreme to lose the few pounds I want to lose. However, IP is my diet of choice.

I tried to look up being in ketosis with a hernia, and the only thing I could find was info saying low protein diets were not good with a hernia because the muscle wall around the hernia needs protein to help keep it strong. Guess that's not an issue with IP, right?

Anyone have any feedback? JOHN!!??

lisa32989 11-05-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slow2lose (Post 4877518)
So after many tests and poking and prodding it looks like I have an Inguinal Hernia requiring surgery. It's not urgent, I'm not in a ton of pain, but it will have to be taken care of via surgery. I will be meeting with a general surgeon and the surgery will probably be scheduled in the New Year.

I was planning to do a few weeks of IP before Christmas, just wondering if being in ketosis before surgery is good or bad. I'll try to get another appt to ask my doc, but to be blunt, she thinks I'm nuts to be on such a restrictive diet.

There is an IP clinic in the doc's office, she's not anti-IP by any means, just thinks it's a bit extreme to lose the few pounds I want to lose. However, IP is my diet of choice.

I tried to look up being in ketosis with a hernia, and the only thing I could find was info saying low protein diets were not good with a hernia because the muscle wall around the hernia needs protein to help keep it strong. Guess that's not an issue with IP, right?

Anyone have any feedback? JOHN!!??

My suggestion would be to seek medical advice, rather than bulliten board advice for an issue like this. If your doc isn't on board, look for another. That's what I've done. My doc MUST support my attempts at improved health.

Ruth Ann 11-05-2013 02:31 PM

slow2lose - I just had a large ventral hernia repaired 2 weeks ago (along with some other work). Be sure to check with your doctor and surgeon, but here's what I was told.

The surgeon was fine with me remaining on IP and in ketosis for the surgery. She did put me on a low fiber diet which included having to cook all my vegetables thoroughly. I added an extra packet as needed at my coach's suggestion since I didn't have raw veggies to munch and got hungry. Both my coach and surgeon recommended the extra packet for the extra protein to help heal.

I stayed pretty much OP even when I was in the hospital. The packets were great after surgery - I wasn't very hungry the first few days so ended up using mostly packets. I'm almost back to normal eating except for still doing low fiber for awhile.

Be sure to follow your doctor's recommendations for healing. I went back to work too soon and now am taking another week off to pay for it!

Good luck to you!

Ruth Ann 11-05-2013 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisa32989 (Post 4877528)
My suggestion would be to seek medical advice, rather than bulliten board advice for an issue like this. If your doc isn't on board, look for another. That's what I've done. My doc MUST support my attempts at improved health.

I totally agree with Lisa - be sure you get your doctor's okay for everything, that's the best idea of all.

Also, I should add that I was diagnosed and had surgery within about 10 days of each other so my situation was a little different - if you're going to wait several weeks to have it repaired be sure to check with your surgeon.

slow2lose 11-05-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruth Ann (Post 4877544)
I totally agree with Lisa - be sure you get your doctor's okay for everything, that's the best idea of all.

Also, I should add that I was diagnosed and had surgery within about 10 days of each other so my situation was a little different - if you're going to wait several weeks to have it repaired be sure to check with your surgeon.

Wow 10 days YIKES!! I've had mine for months already (lifting too heavy weights with my trainer I think), but I only went to the doc about it last week - she sent me for blood work (all good) and 2 ultrasounds - they showed the inguinal hernia. It's small and they aren't too concerned about it. I'm not in pain at all really - just kind of aware of it. The only time it hurts is in bed when I turn over, it almost feels like a pulled muscle. Other than that, no issues at all. That's why I put off going to the doc, I thought I had just pulled a muscle or something.

Glad to hear everything went well for you and thanks so much for the feedback. Of course I will work with my doc and surgeon, but since I may not get to see him for a few weeks, it's nice to get some feedback from someone that's been there. :hug:

bubbleblower 11-05-2013 03:12 PM

I have had an inguinal hernia for several months. I'll have it repaired eventually, but right now it's not causing a lot of issues. My DH, on the other hand, was just given the same diagnosis, but his is quite painful so he'll have surgery in mid-December. I'm more than happy to let him go first. :lol:

If I were still on IP, I'd be mostly concerned with staying regular after the surgery, since the last thing you want is to be straining. I agree that this is a question for your doctor.

Ruth Ann 11-05-2013 03:19 PM

Yeah, it all happened pretty quick for me - glad my doc was insistent that I get everything checked and the surgeon didn't want to wait.

Best of luck to you and be sure and keep us informed on how you're doing!